• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 6:59 am Reply with quote
I agree, Harlequin. Next episode is only number 7 which seems a bit early to have one of the invading demons killed (assuming this is a 12-episode cours). I always enjoy these flashback episodes because they inevitably increase my understanding and emotional investment in whatever character is being flashbacked. Thanks, Harleyquin, for the reminder of who Genya's brother is... I had forgotten, which is a hazard for somebody like me who watches instalments as they come out, but tends not to rewatch them (although I have rewatched the entire first season so I guess I really have no excuse). I wonder why Genya said he has to become a Hashira to see his brother... Tanjiro has already amply proved you don't need to be one to interact with them. Perhaps he meant it more in a, "I can't see my brother until I'm on his level" kind of thing.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 8:45 am Reply with quote
6:

I get really strong flashbacks of Bakugo every time Genya opens his mouth. So much that I kept thinking he misspoke "Hero" for "Hashira" instead.

I want to see more of Hantengu. Every Upper Demon has a story, and thankfully, he will get to see his in the next episode, by the looks of it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:05 am Reply with quote
Please don't utter Bakugo's name. Probably my most hated character, ever. Genya is an absolute bundle of joy, puppies and rainbows compared with Bakugo's initial representation in MHA.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 2:15 pm Reply with quote
You know, while most upper moons so far are very strong, overwhelmingly force/speed plus a bit of teamwork can defeat them. Upper moon six was that way and five/the potman also seems to be that way. Hantengu however is a bullshit enemy to fight. Unless you have a sensory ability like Tanjiro you are out of luck and are faced with several powerful demons who will regenerate no matter what. Not to speak of actually hitting the little bastard.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 1:18 am Reply with quote
S3 #7

No surprises there; Hantengu isn't done yet in this arc and the three Slayer Corps opponents facing him have to deal with the powerful Hatred replica before they can attempt to decapitate the main body of Fear. Apparently the Hatred VA is a legend in the industry and there's lot of Youtube videos gushing over his guest appearance in the franchise. Even the other replicas are well-known in their own right and it is the rare series which can get them all in, albeit for non-major roles.

Hatred (Zouhakuten according to the credits) using drums as a power focus isn't new: the Drum demon controlling space in the mansion back in season one did the same thing but this time it's five rock Hydra heads which are being manipulated. There's probably other powers as well, which Tanjirou will have to fend off together with Nezuko for now until Genya regains his composure and for Kanrouji to join up. Good thing Tanjirou's honesty bails him out from Hatred's oppressive aura, Genya doesn't have that so he'll need something else to snap out of the spell. Even if they somehow overcome Hatred, only certain weapons and empowered swords are capable of decapitating Hantengu's main body by the looks of things.

Gyokko's overconfidence is going to be his undoing. Had he stayed around to guarantee Muichirou actually drowned, he would have had all the time in the world to torture any survivors. His failure to do so means the unthinkable has happened and instead of trying to stop Haganezuka from sharpening the sword he'll have his hands full staying alive. Then again, without this character flaw there would be no story since it would be so easy to write Gyokko into finishing off everyone in the area and then joining up with Hantengu to kill the remaining combatants and then finishing off the village. Haganezuka is an oddball: even the post-credits trailer announcement emphasises his off-the-wall eccentricity. It is to his credit that these same traits which drive everyone except for Tanjirou away from him as clients are the one thing which keep equivalently twisted characters like Gyokko occupied, ultimately buying time for Muichirou to complete his comeback.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:52 am Reply with quote
7:

Gee, seems awfully "coincidental" that Hantengu's final form centers around Hatred will eventually face off against a Hashira like Mitsuri whose technique centers around Love, huh!
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 8:25 pm Reply with quote
S3 #8

This week it's Muichirou who's in the spotlight. Turns out his background has many similarities with Tanjirou's family, although the amnesia and the influence of his older twin plays an outsized role in forming the personality he has when we first meet him earlier in the season. Perhaps it's fate that he and Tanjirou were to meet and interact, since it is the latter that helps him remember who he was prior to his amnesia.

A lot of what-ifs with Muichirou's past. Had he and his brother taken up the offer from the Corps, both of them would have survived although it's unlikely Yuuichirou would have succeeded in his training as he admitted he was no talent unlike his prodigal twin. Curiously, the Corps actually confirmed him his lineage is descended from the swordsman of the primordial school, yet Muichirou himself doesn't use it and instead is the Mist Pillar. Is it because of his training? Or something else? After all, Tanjirou uses two breaths although his default style is from training under the Water school. There's also the question of the mysterious marks which suddenly appear on Muichirou the same way they did with Tanjirou back in the Geisha arc.

Now that Muichirou is free and has somehow powered up from the marks and the recovery of his memories, I don't expect Gyokko to last for much longer even if he drops his overconfidence. That will free up Muichirou to assist with the other ongoing battles, provided he doesn't collapse from the paralysing poison after this effort.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I always enjoy these flashback episodes because they give me a fuller understanding of the characters (both humans and demons) and inevitably lead me to have a greater emotional investment in what's going on. By the way, has it been explained how Muichirou got his amnesia? It would be mildly ironic if we were already told why and I simply forgot. Ironic... and entirely possible.

I have to admit I am getting a little impatient to see Mitsuri in action again. I sense that next episode isn't going to provide much, if any, of that. If this is a 1-cours, then we are rapidly starting to run out of runway to do up Mitsuri right, imo.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:59 am Reply with quote
8:

I must admit that so far, I find this arc... a bit underwhelming. Don't get me wrong; the show's doing great, as expected. I find it a bit lacking only because of the Entertainment Arc: that show took off quick, and the climactic battles were off the charts. Like, goddamn, the fight scenes were lit in that one.

So by default, I am expecting more from this arc. A lot more. That show was basically a tag team match between a Hashira and a Upper Demon. In this arc, we have two Hashiras and two Upper Demons. Naturally, I'm expecting this show to further take things up two notches and just blow me away.

Even after 8 episodes, it still feels like this show is building up to something. Maybe it's not at its climactic stage yet, unlike in the Entertainment Arc where it took off as soon as episode 3. The Demon Slayer series has been doing a stellar job of outdoing itself every season, and I wonder if it's losing a bit of steam now. I hope not.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:35 am Reply with quote
From what I'm reading in the weekly episode review thread in the Talkback Forum, you do not seem alone in your opinion that this season is lacking something relative to other seasons, AC x S. It's not a sentiment that I share, but I can see where it's coming from. I'm certainly not missing Zenitsu (although he doesn't grate on my as badly as he did when he first was introduced) and I am interested in finding out about the new Hashiras. Plus, to me, this season is an escalation in difficulty in terms of dealing with the demons as you would expect given that Tanjiro and Co. are constantly battling higher ranks season to season. I'm also prepared to admit that I'm such a huge Demon Slayer fanboy that this show really can't do anything wrong in my eyes.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 8:44 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
From what I'm reading in the weekly episode review thread in the Talkback Forum, you do not seem alone in your opinion that this season is lacking something relative to other seasons, AC x S. It's not a sentiment that I share, but I can see where it's coming from.

A big problem I see with the season is how it tries to juggle too many things (yes, I'm saying that two Hashiras and two Upper Demons are perhaps two too many). The show keeps switching between Muichiro/Gyokko and Hantengu/Tanjiro (and soon, Mitsuri) so any kind of momentum each side is building is quickly lost. At least in previous seasons, the show puts in 100% attention in a fight between a Hashira and an Upper Demon because goddammit, it's a fight between a Hashira and a Upper Demon!

A case of too little too much? I fear so.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:07 am Reply with quote
See, what you perceive as a weakness, I see as a strength. I actually like switching between two (or more battles) because then I don't feel bored watching the same combatants go at it for long stretches off time. I like that you can "cliffhanger" one battle and switch to the other. All just personal preference, of course.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:20 am Reply with quote
I am just tired of everyone having tragic backgrounds that take up most of an episode to tell. As soon as things get really exciting it is time to whip out the old tragic events of the past.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:34 am Reply with quote
Again, I understand where that sentiment comes from even if I don't share it. The trouble is that something needs to break up the battles. If it's not flashbacks or switching to a different battle then either you're just watching a single battle play out over several episodes or you need to contrive some reason to stop and start. The tragic backstory trope is repetitive but I always get into them.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 9:52 am Reply with quote
I used to get into the flashbacks, but they have overused them to such a degree in the series that I just skip the section completely and go to the actually interesting content. As for momentum, why not have people switch out during a fight and have the recuperating party strategize to later jump into the fight again. In general we could have a more strategic element be present, though switching between battles works fine too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11