• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-05-09]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:

Now, maybe I needed to have seen Rurouni Kenshin beforehand to get the full effect. I do have it coming in the mail, so I might give Samurai X another chance after watching the TV series, but...I'm not going to expect much.

IMO, I think you do need to watch Samurai X after watching the first two seasons of Rurouni Kenshin. RK sets you up so you see the aftermath of Samurai X. You "bond" with the characters, see them develop, etc. And then you watch Samurai X and see why Kenshin became what he was in RK.

If you just watch Samurai X with no RK, then I feel like you're missing out of Kenshin's character.

I'm glad you're going to give Samurai X another chance after watching Kenshin. Watch the Kyoto arc, then watch the OVAs. I hope you like it better the second time around!
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Japanese dubs of English shows, I went to nickjapan.com to see what the Japanese dubs of Nick shows are like... I will tell you this:

Dora teaches English. (Well, more like engrish... Meex! Meex! Chocolayt!)

Patrick sounds like a girl.
MagicallyDelicious

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I scrolled through here a bit and it seems like just about everything being listed as "overrated" are just things that are popular. They get popular for a reason, even if you (no one specific, general 'you') didn't like it.

I went and looked at ANN's "top 10" thing where they list the overrated in there, and no one has mentioned those series, except Pokemon, I think.

So either they're figuring out "overrated" wrong in the encyclopedia, or... I dunno, I just thought it was funny.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Suited as Guilmon? Are you joking? He sounded like an old woman.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Quote:
...and the 3rd Digimon Movie gives me MY vote for 'worst dub'.
(And for someone who has been rewatching Digimon in Japanese, didn't realize HOW much of the dialogue, whether pointless or not, was dramatically changed :/)

Actually, I'd say that makes it a pretty good dub, they were able to butcher the plot and take out half of the scenes and still managed to make sense. I'm not saying that that's a good thing to do, but they still managed to do a good job, I know they had me fooled for a few years. Laughing

Quote:
Have you heard Guilmon in Japanese? I know who his seiyuu was, but he didn't sound like a cute little reptile like when Blum voiced him, he sounded like an old woman.

Yeah, Guilmon was done by Masako Nozawa, the woman that does Goku and Gohan from DB/DBZ. I actually thought she was suited as Guilmon, but I never could stand her in DBZ. She was fine when Goku was young but in DBZ it just sounded like the guy never hit puberty.

Quote:

For worst dub ever, what about the Ghost in the Shell movie? I can't remember what particularly made it so bad since I only saw it one time 5 years ago, but it was unbearable. We eventually had to switch over to subtitles to keep watching, and when we did, it seemed like the dialouge wasn't even on the same subject in that scene.

That's really a shame, I picked up a copy of the dub only VHS of Ghost in the Shell at a flea market not too long ago and was looking forward to watching it. But if the dub is really that distracting I might just have to go rent it anyway. Sad

No kidding. Isn't it a rule to change the seiyuu to a male actor when a male character becomes 17? Why they kept Goku with Nozawa all the way to adulthood I'll never know. I know the U.S. dub is crappy, but at least a guy actor made more sense.
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Anyone thinking that the new eva movie will be that announcement? Yeah somebody might have said that already in this thread but I didn't look through it though.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
You know, I never asked. I'll ask her and see. :3
Many girls named Johnny where you live then? Wink

You goof Anime hyper

I meant I'll ask Yukino and see if they ever got JQ there Anime hyper
Yeah, I should have known that, silly me.
crimson_sunset

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
As far as Case Closed goes I haven't seen the TV series. I love the manga but being in the UK means that to see the series I need to buy Region 1 and I don't really want to buy without knowing if it will ever end.

Case closed may be a little repetitive but that can't be helped. The nature of the series will naturally mean that similar stories will be used. I would like the chance to see the series but don't know if it is worth spending out on a series that may never be completed.
Jih2

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A little excessive pimping: keep an eye on the site for an exciting announcement soon. We have something big coming down the pipe.

A. Zac's getting married?
B. ANN has decided to begin licensing anime?
C. A new column?!
D. None of the above.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet but Green Legend Ran has a pretty bad English dub. Possibly the writing in general is just bad but I've only seen the first 37 minutes with the English dub, bah, if the Japanese isn't better I'm not sure I can respect this title at all.
Ceru

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Wing_Goddess wrote:
Ceru wrote:

Thanks! Anime smile
When I first saw the ending of Esca almost a decade ago I rewrote the ending a million times in my head; usually involving some big dramatic kiss. But even back then I knew she kind of had to go home. As happy as I would have been if she had stayed, she needed to go back to her life. And I think in a way, seeing a kiss almost ruins it. I think it's one of the only ways to fully satisfy the viewers without ruining the... subtlty of their relationship (this may be exactly what I wrote in my answerfans, I forget...). Either way it's a last minute sequence I'd very much like to animate eventually....

But more importantly...
RemastereD? Remasted how? O_O

Last November a limited edition Escaflowne boxset came out. All 26 episodes HD remastered. I'm REALLY hoping for this to be released in North America but since Escaflowne's popularity has died down so much (heck, it's even hard to find Esca fans here still) i kinda doubt it *sigh* I still want it!
here's one place that's selling it
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-a7-49-en-70-27fy.html

If you ever animate it PLEASE let me know in some way or form! I would just love to see that <3

I still find it hard to believe Escaflowne is 10+ years old. Just doesn't feel like it Razz

Yeah absolutely, I'd post it on my DA and stuff...

Ok this is a really big long shot because I'm sure there must be dozens of Wing Goddesses on the net but are you the one who went as Hitomi at Anime North one year?
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
sailorspazz wrote:
....Holy crap, that TMNT anime is bizarre. I've seen the opening theme before (Kageyama Hironobu, woot!), but what in the world is up with Krang's voice? And the sweatdrops....

I couldn't watch it at all, I watched about 5 minutes of it and had to turn it off.

sailorspazz wrote:
I know most of the terrible dub talk has centered around ones that have been edited for TV, but the absolute worst dub I've seen is Bible Black. Yeah, it's hentai, so it's not like I was expecting it to sound like the golden standard of anime, but it's just so bad that it seems like they would have had to try to sound that terrible. The person playing Imari was especially bad. To me, there were times where she sounded just like Steve Oedekerk's dubbing of the main female character from the movie "Kung Pow: Enter the Fist". Seriously.

That I can agree with. I think the only person that I think actually did well was the VA for Kitami. But it's ok to watch if you want a good laugh or see the many parodies on youtube. The script was entirely butchered with F-bombs and different words for private parts. x_x

But it has gotten better within the 2nd season. A LOT better, and actually stays in with the script.

Oh well...if I think of a really bad dub that isn't hentai, I would have to say, Peach Girl. I just... tried my best to listen but...I just didn't like it as much. My heart still cried for Momo to be voiced by Kelly Sheridan... x.x In a way, I wished Viz picked it up, but I guess shoujo anime isn't picked up by Viz too often.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
which is weird since Viz puts out a shojo magazine.
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I thought of another example of bad dubbing, though I'm not quite sure if it counts as "dubbing"....I'm talking about some of the voice-overs I've heard in trailers for anime. It seems they don't always bother to teach the announcers how to pronounce Japanese names. The other day I watched a trailer for "Happy Lesson", and the announcer kept pronouncing the main character's name, which is "Chitose", like "Cheetos" or something. And there was a trailer I saw for "The Wallflower" where the announcer was trying to say "bishounen", but the 'bi' was pronounced like it would be in "biennial" or "bisexual." Come on, how hard is it for a director to tell them how to pronounce these things?
MelloHatesNear

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And there was a trailer I saw for "The Wallflower" where the announcer was trying to say "bishounen", but the 'bi' was pronounced like it would be in "biennial" or "bisexual." Come on, how hard is it for a director to tell them how to pronounce these things?

Maybe they shouldn't speak in fragmented Japanese to begin with?
ilkz

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Why this week's Answerman generate so much debate? Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10