• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:22 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
without vigilantes the eraser moment will not work. it would be cool if they give us a few vigilantes episodes as a filler instead of the typical froppie.

forget that! the spinoff series should have gotten its own tv series instead of being filler eps for the main series.

alas, unless it have a major following, its highly unlikely. i mean AoT light novel readers have been screaming to have a tv series for the before the fall prequel light novels but that never came to pass whereas there are plans to have a tv series for the fairy tail 100 yr quest manga.

my point is that while it would be nice if there were any mention of vigilantes within the main series, unless it got a major backing or popularity, it is more likely that any mentions will be brief if not at all!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
both individual and group therapy to sort out and communicate their feelings as it would be necessary in real life.

For some of us, the suggestion that therapy would be necessary is as annoying and unwelcome as the insistence that forgiveness is absolutely insisted upon, rather than an ideal. I find society's relentless emphasis on therapy to be oppressive for those of us who have never had good experiences with it, and it's absolutely not necessary for everyone. Yet do many people make assumptions about what's good for other people and what they must do.

I do like this episode for its emphasis on Endeavor's sense of duty and atonement, which is the necessary thing for him to do regardless of forgiveness. It's notable that him going away may not be good for all his children, who may have different views among them, as they clearly do to some extent. There may not be a right answer that is best for all of them; one course of action may be worse for Fuyumi while being better for his sons. Life is difficult that way, and it's too pat to suggest otherwise. Have to make the best choice, but Pareto optimal isn't the same as the best outcome for each person.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:38 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:

It's notable that him going away may not be good for all his children, who may have different views among them, as they clearly do to some extent. There may not be a right answer that is best for all of them; one course of action may be worse for Fuyumi while being better for his sons. Life is difficult that way, and it's too pat to suggest otherwise. Have to make the best choice, but Pareto optimal isn't the same as the best outcome for each person.

I actually disagree on this point. Endeavor himself was pretty clear that Fuyumi was clinging to the idea of a normal family pretty much out of desperation, not actually out of any real sense of healing. I think if she had continued to push for a "normal" family, especially once their mother was out of the hospital (*most* especially because while it's been implied that Rei might want to tentatively start over with Endeavor, she actively leaves him unmentioned in her letters to Shoto), there was a real chance that Fuyumi's continuing pursuit of "normalcy" could've ended up doing some serious psychological damage for everyone involved. She already keeps inviting Natsuo and Shoto over despite knowing they're not on good terms with their father, which implies she values a chance at resolution over letting them set their own boundaries regarding their relationship to Endeavor. Again, I don't think that's her fault (she's as traumatized as the rest of them), but removing the common problem from the equation (i.e., Endeavor) was clearly the best solution for everybody.

I was actually more mad that he was making everyone move instead of moving out himself until I realized that it was probably for security reasons; villains like Ending probably associate that giant house with Endeavor, so him leaving his family there instead of finding them a new place might actually put them at greater risk, so I'm slightly more okay about that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Or giving them a place to start fresh without all the traumatic memories permeating every inch of their living space. I'm surprise Shoto can even still enter that kitchen.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Well said on this weeks episode in the review. I'm just glad we're finally getting to the villains arc next week. I presume they just moved things around so it flowed better to fit the timing of the movie, but I guess we'll see how well that works in the coming episodes.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I just hope they can this arc justice with the episodes they have left.
chex mix

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I started losing interest in this show last season, but I thought it could bounce back. Normally I'd be all over another practice match arc and I'm wondering why I'm not. Even the Endeavor stuff is pretty lukewarm. Is there a new director or something? Because I don't actually think it's the material, I think it's the presentation that's killing my hype. At this rate I'm not likely to come back for another season, which is really a shame.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:33 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
I started losing interest in this show last season, but I thought it could bounce back. Normally I'd be all over another practice match arc and I'm wondering why I'm not. Even the Endeavor stuff is pretty lukewarm. Is there a new director or something? Because I don't actually think it's the material, I think it's the presentation that's killing my hype. At this rate I'm not likely to come back for another season, which is really a shame.

I'm pretty sure it's a mix of presentation and material.

The joint training arc was a low-stakes poorly-paced slog that barely added anything to the overall story. It's not bad when going through it all at once but when following it weekly it can be pretty boring and unfortunately, the anime did nothing to alleviate this problem.

This arc was supposed to be followed by the meta liberation army arc which features a lot of action and adds a lot to the overall story after which we would have had the endeavor agency arc which serves as a breather from all the action as well set up for the next arc. Because these two arcs got switched the end result is a pretty uneven season.

The good news is the MLA arc is great so there is still a chance for the season to end on a high note then thankfully next season should be entirely focused on the finale of Act 2.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:13 pm Reply with quote
The anime still skipped some scenes. We didn't get the Meta Liberation Army's leader's manga introduction along with the other scenes that built up to him picking a fight with the League of Villains. We also skipped out on the League wiping out a hate group to steal their money (their desperate financial state without AfO's backing being why they were looking to contact the doctor).
chex mix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Anything building up the MLA would have been helpful, as it feels like that plotline came out of nowhere as the author suddenly realized the League wasn't nearly threatening enough to carry the story at this point.
casenumber00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:28 am Reply with quote
What I never liked about the League of Villains is I never knew, for the most part, who they are and their apparent reasons have always seemed lame. They always seemed as a tacked on antagonists for our school mates. They never seemed well rounded until this point and, for me, its pretty much too late to give back story to them.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:25 am Reply with quote
For me, it doesn't feel too late; I mean, giving them some characterization way earlier would have made more sense, but I still want them to feel like people now, too (beyond "Shigaraki and Dabi are probably both sad kids of the greatest hero families ever, who apparently have a pretty bad 0/2 parenting track record", anyway). That said, Toga's backstory just felt intensely goofy, like some kind of satire of a sad narrative.

I sort of feel quite split between badly thinking the show needs to care about these characters, so cheering on the last few episodes, and, on the other hand, thinking it is way more competent at handling its primary heroes, so regretting that we left them behind.
Matros

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:51 am Reply with quote
It doesn't feel late, but the anime doesn't do these characters any favour by cutting whole chapters or pages.
Vent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:25 am Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
It doesn't feel late, but the anime doesn't do these characters any favour by cutting whole chapters or pages.

Yeah I'm scratching my head at the glowingly positive review because I think this story just straight up doesn't work with all the stuff they cut from it - talking about "quirk counseling" and how that was forced upon Toga is something important to her motivation and we just get...none of it here. The motivations of our "villains" as well are completely excised from the anime for no discernable reason.

And even if you haven't read the manga the removed content still makes for sloppy work - in the manga Trumpet riles up a group of people to attack Shigaraki while here they just. Appear around him when he attacks? It's not good, and I'm not saying the review is wrong - opinions, subjectivity, and all that - just not getting where it's coming from.

Oh, and it really doesn't help that this episode frankly looked straight up bad in a way that would normally be rare for MHA but thanks to this season's overall drop in animation quality sadly is pretty normal by this point. It's such a bummer that they spent so much extra time on the tedious joint training arc and now everything else in the show has to suffer.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:53 am Reply with quote
Nicholas D wrote:
“Not suppression, but liberation” is their creed towards Quirks – or “Meta Powers” as they seem to prefer. And it certainly makes sense as a popular response to the generational proliferation of super powers. These are, by and large, abilities each person is born with, so is it just for a government to limit how or if they can use them? Why should only professional heroes, effectively arms of the state and maintainers of the status quo, be the only ones allowed to exercise their Quirks without fear of retribution? One might not necessarily agree with their stance, but it's an understandable and believable point of view for people at large to take in a world like MHA's

This doesn't really resonate with me. I mean -- I could see a few people behaving like this, but it's not as if we've seen meaningful mistreatment of or 'retribution' against people with powers, or some kind of dark exploitative underbelly forming as a consequence of only superheroes being gov't-approved to use their powers freely, or anything like that, throughout MHA's run, have we? The narrative has done essentially nothing to convince us that this is a real problem, which makes the MLA's raison d'etre feel pretty shallow, to me, and undermines my willingness to believe they're able to recruit >100K persons to fight for their cause. If, instead, we'd been shown throughout MHA 'evil-but-sympathetic' backstories like Toga's -- or, like the non-satirical version of Toga's backstory the last few posters seem to be hinting exists in the manga, at least -- then I think I'd be more on board with this.

But MHA's never really tried to do that; the last time I remember it having a meaningful point with its villains was Stain's purity campaign, and it has just never, ever tried to show us the side effects or dark underbelly of forming a privileged class of superheroes who're the only ones empowered to use their gifts, or something. That seems like a major thing to leave out of your show for >100 episodes if it's the primary reason one of the largest, longest-lived 'villain' organizations in the show exists. As is, the MLA just feels like a bunch of entitled jerks with a paper-thin ideology, to me..

Nicholas D wrote:
There are a billion different theories as to why her quirk evolves at this moment – the threat of death, late puberty, narrative convenience –

This reminds me of one of my grad-school profs' favorite joking math refrains (about math theorems, and building intuition for how deductive proofs are constructed), which goes something like: "1 is an example; 2 is a trick; 3 is the general case"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 79 of 81