• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Missing 14-Year-Old Girl Reportedly Headed to Ikkicon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mika20

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:17 am Reply with quote
My God....
I'm just in shock reading this.
My friends were heading to Ikkicon!

Honestly, I just hope the little girl is safe and found. I can't help but think how dumb you must be to go to a convention with a total stranger who could be dangerous...seriously! (I hate to be mean about it, but my goodness..)
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:20 am Reply with quote
Mika20 wrote:
I can't help but think how dumb you must be to go to a convention with a total stranger who could be dangerous...seriously!

You're right about the "could be dangerous" part, but he wasn't a total stranger. He already had some sort of romantic relationship going with this girl for a while, and he was said to be formerly a close friend of the entire family.
Mika20

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:24 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Mika20 wrote:
I can't help but think how dumb you must be to go to a convention with a total stranger who could be dangerous...seriously!

You're right about the "could be dangerous" part, but he wasn't a total stranger. He already had some sort of romantic relationship going with this girl for a while, and he was said to be formerly a close friend of the entire family.

Are you serious? That's even worse to think they had a relationship...not to mention sick.
Yet enough, whether you know the person or not, you just keep your guard down thinking you're safe. The world is filled with sick people, and you can't always trust the folks you're with. We all have to look out for ourselves.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
Quote:
2006 Child Abduction Murder Study wrote:

In 76 percent of the missing children homicide cases studied, the child was dead within three hours of the abduction–and in 88.5 percent of the cases the child was dead within 24 hours.

your quote is already assuming death. its about homicides.

abduction does not have that high a percentage of deaths because the great majority of abductions are by family members usually in custody battles.

stranger abductions have a higher case of homicides but this may not even fit into an abduction since both parties knew each other there's the real possibility its both the guy and girl are simply hiding together.
I wont bet on any particular scenario because I don't know either people personally or their motivations.

Well it's now 7 days, death would be the most likely outcome. That's why this Amber blossomed as fast as it did.

And Family Abductions and Non Family Abductions were about equal in 2007. 106 and 94 respectively according to Amber 2007 report.
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:48 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Well it's now 7 days, death would be the most likely outcome. That's why this Amber blossomed as fast as it did.

And Family Abductions and Non Family Abductions were about equal in 2007. 106 and 94 respectively according to Amber 2007 report.

Maybe my own comments contributed to this ultimate conclusion, but the facts don't point that direction for me, and it's a bit gruesome to assume she's dead.

She left willingly with someone she may, for all we know, have been romantically attracted to, regardless of his characteristics. We also know nothing about her personally beyond the news articles. The possibility of sex with him may be what she wants, not what she would be forced to have. Yes, he is by definition a predator and a really dumb choice of romantic partner. But this was obviously planned ahead. How much she knew and assisted, we don't know. He was able to steal enough money for making a good long getaway, and her comments about going to a con could have been a red herring, so there's no predicting where they are or what they are doing at this time. Canada, Mexico, anywhere is an option, as they apparently agreed on running away together.

This is not even an abduction in the sense of someone grabbing a child off the street. They haven't been found because he was smarter than everyone assumed. Both of them just don't want to be found, is the most likely scenario.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:
Quote:
2006 Child Abduction Murder Study wrote:

In 76 percent of the missing children homicide cases studied, the child was dead within three hours of the abduction–and in 88.5 percent of the cases the child was dead within 24 hours.

your quote is already assuming death. its about homicides.

abduction does not have that high a percentage of deaths because the great majority of abductions are by family members usually in custody battles.

stranger abductions have a higher case of homicides but this may not even fit into an abduction since both parties knew each other there's the real possibility its both the guy and girl are simply hiding together.
I wont bet on any particular scenario because I don't know either people personally or their motivations.

heres another quote from that article:
Quote:
In 2007, 278 children were involved in 227 AMBER Alert cases. Fifty-four percent (54%, n=150) of children were intaked as FAs, followed by 35% (n=97) of children intaked as NFAs. Ten percent (10%, n=28) were intaked as LIMs, and 1% (n=3) were intaked as ERUs.

but the case at hand falls under a ERU or endangered runaway.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
cool3865 wrote:
i doubt they went to Austin, TX........the media screwed that up, im sure they are heading to Cali

If they are then they aren't here yet, or else I would have seen the amber alert by now. Honestly speaking, they could be headed anywhere, with destination unknown and the reason for heading where they are headed, unknown.

Maybe they went across the border to Mexico or Canada. Hell, maybe their in Japan right now.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
This thread has now wandered through the thorny labyrinth of prurience into the realm of pure speculative fantasy.

Accordingly, it is locked.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9