• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-04-22

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:

While the average person would probably listen, a person who malciously harms others may not. If they hit you, make it so they can't leave and call security or police. It's sad, but the only way these people will listen is if actually speaks up and has security deal with them.

I doubt the avarage paddle-user has any malicious intent. They see it as a game and forget that the one on the receiving end is a person with feelings too. It's what happens to a lot of people. A convention is like a big fantasy world. People tend to forget the rules from RL still apply and that it's not some weird mixture of anime and internet where everything goes. For example, someone mentioned cosplaying as certain characters can be quite troublesome, because some con-goers treat you just like that character, even if it involves glomping or trying to take off your clothes.
PorscheGTIII

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I find myself saying the same thing all the time. Anime hyper
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
domino wrote:
The yaoi paddle is the world's worst invention.
Not to mention, as a yaoi fan, I don't even get the point of them. Seriously, is it a reference to some manga I've never read? Is it supposed to be some sort of blunted (and terribly misguided) cupid's arrow (i.e., if you smack 2 boys within a 10 foot radius will they gravitate toward one another)? Or is it that maybe, just maybe, some fans will buy anything vaguely associated with their fandom?

P.S. I can't help but think they should make them bigger so they can be used as pizza paddles or something in the future...

http://zip.4chan.org/cgl/res/1794658.html

Quote:
>To put all of the history of the yaoi paddle to rest, here's the story of how they came about.

>I originally made the first yaoi paddle, with woodburned letters and a high gloss acrylic finish for the owner of the company "hen da ne".

>It was meant as a joke since he and I are friends and over 33% of his business relies on the sale of yaoi manga and doujinshi, and his business model includes yelling out catch phrases to passerbys in con dealer rooms (such as "geeeeet your red hot yaoi books right here!" and "hot boys in tight pants right here").

>He liked the present so much, that he decided to mass produce them (to my dismay, without my final consent). And thus, has sold them ever since.

>So although I made one, the first one, and what was supposed to be the only one, I must say now that I don't want anything to do with them. The person that it was solely meant for decided that profit was of a higher value than friendship.

>Needless to say, he and I don't talk very much anymore, supposedly he was going to buy the rights to the design from me at otakon, and that's when I never heard from him again.

>So if asked if I was for or against the idea, I'd actually have to say against, because when I thought of a funny joke for a friend, I never wanted it to turn into a big con staple that people would like or hate, and now has ballooned into hundreds of people nationwide spanking congoers with yaoi paddles.

>and no, I wont take a commission to make any more. and if you do happen to see this guy selling them at cons, please tell him he's stealing the design from a not-so-well-off artist who used to be his friend.
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
Can Kevin meet a fat but nice and not insane (except for the necessary insanity that comes from being an anime fan period) non-yaoi-loving girl? Please? It would give me a little bit more confidence in the possibility that this would ever happen. Embarassed
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:39 am Reply with quote
Aki Ameko wrote:
Can Kevin meet a fat but nice and not insane (except for the necessary insanity that comes from being an anime fan period) non-yaoi-loving girl? Please? It would give me a little bit more confidence in the possibility that this would ever happen. Embarassed

Well, Paola is a fat, nice and sane girl, but unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your POV) doesn't like Kevin in that way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Well, Paola is a fat, nice and sane girl, but unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your POV) doesn't like Kevin in that way.

I'm sorry, but Paola is completely and utterly bananas. What kind of sane person would take replica swords as carry-on luggage on a domestic flight in the United States? Does she have a death-wish?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9