• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2009 Haruhi TV Run's 8th Episode Listed as New Episode

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
I wonder how long it is going to take to take to actualy see a subtitled version, I imagin there must be some fairly eager fan subers out there. At any rate it wont be long if this proves true.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
syoboi’s calendar http://cal.syoboi.jp/tid/1639/time and a digital programming guide have added 「Sasa no Ha Rhapsody / Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody」 to the title of Haruhi episode 8.

http://moetron.com/newimages/20090518_calendar01.jpeg

http://moetron.com/newimages/20090518_rhapsody.jpg

Source(s)

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/moonphase/20090518#p1

http://www.moetron.com/
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I wonder how long it is going to take to take to actualy see a subtitled version, I imagin there must be some fairly eager fan subers out there. At any rate it wont be long if this proves true.

I'm betting there will be subs out day of the ep release in Japan
with in a few hours. I mean what sub group wouldn't want to pick up the new Haruhi eps?

sailorsean wrote:
syoboi’s calendar http://cal.syoboi.jp/tid/1639/time and a digital programming guide have added 「Sasa no Ha Rhapsody / Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody」 to the title of Haruhi episode 8.

http://moetron.com/newimages/20090518_calendar01.jpeg

http://moetron.com/newimages/20090518_rhapsody.jpg

Source(s)

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/moonphase/20090518#p1

http://www.moetron.com/

The good news keeps coming, if it's on a broad casting gudie, then there's a good chance this news isn't fake any more
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:

syoboi is entirely user generated. It is basically a wikipedia tv schedule.

ninjapet wrote:
The good news keeps coming, if it's on a broad casting gudie, then there's a good chance this news isn't fake any more
Remember how ep 00 was listed on a guide as airing first? Look how that turned out.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
sailorsean wrote:

ninjapet wrote:
Remember how ep 00 was listed on a guide as airing first? Look how that turned out.

Don't have to be all hope crushing Sad
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
bayoab wrote:
sailorsean wrote:

ninjapet wrote:

Don't have to be all hope crushing :(

Eventually, at some point, you'll have to accept Kadokawa decision on Haruhi. Otherwise you may not be able to come to terms with it.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
ninjapet wrote:
bayoab wrote:
sailorsean wrote:

ninjapet wrote:

Eventually, at some point, you'll have to accept Kadokawa decision on Haruhi. Otherwise you may not be able to come to terms with it.

I don't think it matters it's a carton for petes sake
cnet128

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
sailorsean wrote:

ninjapet wrote:

Putting Episode 00 first was a valid assumption on the guide producers' part, though, since it's the first episode on both the original airing order and the DVD. You can hardly fault them for making a sensible assumption like that about what's ostensibly "just" a rerun.

Putting Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody as the eighth episode is another deal altogether. They have to have got it from somewhere, and assuming they didn't pull it from the short-lived Wakayama listing, this makes two independent reputable sources stating an episode title that didn't even appear in the original series.
Perfect Chaos

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
I'm thinking there doing novel plot not manga Confused

Yeah, if you read my post closer, then you would have realized how I emphasized the fact that that is very unlikely. I'm just the type of person to never say 0% when there is still even a microscopic chance of something happening.

And Sealkidharuhiism, considering what they are doing, neither of your list is anywhere close to it. Neither of your lists is remotely close to being chronological.

pluvia33 wrote:
My personal hope for what the new complete episode list would be:

1. Melancholy I
2. Melancholy II
3. Melancholy III
4. Melancholy IV
5. Melancholy V
6. Melancholy VI
7. Boredom
8. Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody
9. Mysterique Sign
10. Lone Island Syndrome Part I
11. Lone Island Syndrome Part II
12. Endless Eight
13. Sighs I
14. Sighs II
15. Episode 00
16. Live A Live
17. The Day of Sagittarius
18. Someday in the Rain
19. Disappearance I
20. Disappearance II
21. Disappearance III
22. Disappearance IV
23. Charmed at First Sight LOVER
24. Snow Mountain Syndrome/Where Did the Cat Go?
25. The Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru
26. Intrigues I
27. Intrigues II
28. Intrigues III

WARNING!! The following contains some minor spoilers throughout it. Some of the bigger spoilers have been hidden in spoiler tags, but there are still minor ones that aren't.

First, I think Vanishment (which is the official English name of the fourth novel, and not Disappearance, since it was what they used on official Haruhi bookmarks) would be 5 episodes long. Despite it begin the shortest of the 9 novels, it has a lot of detail that is impossible to omit and still have the story make sense, so I personally don't see it being able to fit in 4 episodes (and I don't want it to, since that would mean omitting a lot of detail).
Second, IMO, it could even be possible for Snow Mountain Syndrome to take up two episodes (Remote Island Syndrome did). A good ending point for the SMS's first episode could be around where spoiler["Mikuru" enters Kyon's room.] As for Where Did the Cat Go?, I could see it getting it's own episode, since having it cut into part of SMS's episode would be weird, not to mention that ~10 minutes is likely not enough time to tell that story. And considering that it ends their winter trip, omitting it altogether would have the trip seem empty, not to mention weird considering how spoiler[time was frozen when they were in the mansion], meaning that they still had time to do everything they planned to do. KyoAni's not the type of company to take shortcuts and leave a big hole in the plotline by omitting it; their adaptations are always amazing close to the original stories. When they adapt something, they are aware that some viewers have experienced the original work, so they know that omitting something like that would get a strong reaction from those that know the original story.
Lastly, I don't think they will include the 7th novel (Scheme, not Baka-Tsuki's translation of "Intrigues") in this season, as it is one of the more important novels in the series. So if it were to be adapted, it shouldn't be compressed that much. Not only that, but Scheme is roughly 67% longer than Vanishment (Scheme is actually the longest of the 9 novels), so it wouldn't make sense that it has so little episodes to cover it. And considering how it's so important, I think we would have heard something about it in the past years about it, like with the stuff about Vanishment, if it was even an option in season 2. I just don't see it happening in season 2, at all (maybe .1% at most).
And another thing about that. Since what happened at the end of Vanishment wasn't quite "resolved" completely, yet, and doesn't get resolved until the end of Scheme, it would make viewers, that don't know but are itching to know, want to actually look forward to the third season or even pick up reading the novels, themselves.

Anyway, here's my guess at what the episode order will be...
01. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I
02. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya II
03. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya III
04. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya IV
05. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya V
06. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya VI
07. The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya
08. Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody
09. Mystérique Sign
10. Remote Island Syndrome Part 1
11. Remote Island Syndrome Part 2
12. Endless Eight
13. The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya I
14. The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya II
15. The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya III
16. The Adventure of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00
17. Live A Live
18. The Day of Sagittarius
19. Someday in the Rain
20. The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya I
21. The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya II
22. The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya III
23. The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya IV
24. The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya V
25. Charmed at First Sight LOVER
26. Snow Mountain Syndrome Part 1
27. Snow Mountain Syndrome Part 2
28. Where Did the Cat Go?

This is barring the fact that there is not another original-story episode. If there is, then maybe Sigh could somehow be compressed to 2 episodes (or perhaps squish Snow Mountain Syndrome if they can manage it well).
But with this, Where Did the Cat Go? can act as a nice, soothing episode to end the season (the same way Someday in the Rain did in the chronologic ending of the first season, I guess) after a good suspense from Snow Mountain Syndrome.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
good point, SMS was way confusing to me, so two eps would be great if they get to it.

Sigh could be two eps, if they rush the amount of time spent when they shot the movie, like really rush and only give time to the main points. Which I would hate, Sigh was one of the more interesting points of the series for me.

A new anime only ep? It would be nice, but not needed as they have Some Day in the Rain. Plus they have the video game plots and the drama CD all written or helped written by the crater of the novels.

Vanishment, would need at least 4 eps, but 6 would be to long, 5 gets the job done, but it also leaves time for detail and less rushing.
What ever they do, it will turn out great.

For Endless Eight they could do a half ep, and go right in to the first half of Sigh, meaning they could get away with two eps. Even if Endless is needing a one ep type deal to tell the story with out rushing
Perfect Chaos

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I never liked the idea of combining two stories into one episode. It just makes the episode feel like it doesn't have closure, not to mention making it feel rushed. And besides, what would they name the title...Endless Eight + The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya part 1? That would just be strange, especially considering that Endless Eight take place during the second half of August (last two weeks to be precise), while Sigh takes place at the beginning of November; quite a big gap, so combining them would be even weirder.
I personally would want Endless Eight to have a full episode, so that they could do the spoiler[repeated events in a better way, instead of just doing the last repeat. This would also let us see more of the events that they did throughout the month (and possibly the slight differences in the same events), since like they said, not every event happened in each of the 15,498 repeats.]
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
having different repeats would be fun to watch.

I didn't think about the time gap from endless to sigh. I haven't read the books in a while (besides the first one as I got the English release)
megas88

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
ninjapet wrote:
bayoab wrote:
sailorsean wrote:

ninjapet wrote:

I don't think it matters it's a carton for petes sake

You sir, are not true otaku! muahahhahaa. I for one will give blood to see 5 minutes of an episode. I'll pass out before a whole ep would be finished by god damnit it'd be worth it.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Perfect Chaos wrote:
Lastly, I don't think they will include the 7th novel (Scheme, not Baka-Tsuki's translation of "Intrigues") in this season, as it is one of the more important novels in the series. So if it were to be adapted, it shouldn't be compressed that much. Not only that, but Scheme is roughly 67% longer than Vanishment (Scheme is actually the longest of the 9 novels), so it wouldn't make sense that it has so little episodes to cover it.

Well damn. Point taken. Sorry, somehow the novels on my bookshelf got mixed up. Book 7 got switched with book 8 (which is much shorter, screwing my reasoning behind the length of that arc). It's been a while since I read the series so I completely forgot how long that book was. With that realized, yes, your list is definitely the most likely. My list was purely wishful thinking and I did compact a few things that probably shouldn't have been to get them all to fit since we probably won't get a third anime until after book 10 is released, if it ever is.

On that note, I'm not really agitated at all about Kyoto Animation's delays and teasing with the anime. What really annoys me is that the tenth novel which was originally supposed to come out more than a year and a half ago (if I remember correctly) still hasn't had any word on a release.
cnet128

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
...Yeah, I'd gladly trade in a new season of the anime for that damn tenth book. Why on Earth there is still no word on its release is beyond me... And they had to go and do it after the one book that ended on a cliffhanger, as well ~_~
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11