• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney XD to Add Naruto Shippūden in U.S.

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
This is way worse than when PokemonUSA ruined Pokemon by firing the 4kids cast and doing their molestation to it. Shippuden dubbed deserves only to be on TV when it's on either Cartoon Network/AdultSwim.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but I fail to see why this news can be so debating: more than 90 posts in less then 5 hours. Here Disney Channel has been broadcasting anime for years now (no Naruto or Shippūden though; mostly shōjo titles). If you worry about edit / censorship then just find another source e.g. ANN or wait for the DVD.

I think this is a cultural issue dormcat. Domestic U.S. Disney is not always seen as favorably as non-US markets may perceive it. I can't quite figure out how to explain it to someone who hasn't lived their entire live in North America with Disney and hopefully someone else can put into words what I'm thinking about at the moment.

However, I will try and and explain what I think is going on here. All of this is my opinion, of course and your mileage may vary. First, Disney has a long history of censorship in the United States - one they have been quite open, and at times been very proud to let everyone know they do it, about. The perception of Disney is a company that will take the things they own/are airing and edit every perceivable problem/issue out of them to make them "safe" for everyone. Now whether this perception is true in 2009, post Pixar buying the company is something one probably could debate. It's really the history of Disney from the 1940's through the late 90's that sets this tone in the minds of most Americans who grew up with Disney being the "safe and clean" alternative to the rest of the world (domestic or foreign).

Next, Disney for a long time didn't show animated shows they didn't own/co-own to begin with (seeing their back catalog I never though that was a really bad thing for them to do but that's my opinion on it). I take it Toon Disney was also on record as saying they weren't interested in Anime at some point, going by what some have been saying. I personally figure this is out of date information and they have someone new running Disney XD and probably have had several someones since that statement was made, seeing how U.S. Cable executives tend to come and go quite a bit (IMO this argument is pretty much a non-starter but some posters do seem to be wrapped up in it).

Third, and maybe a main reason people are freaking out here, is that Disney XD is on about as many Cable systems as Boomerang. That means they're a small TV network by U.S. standards - all Cable Networks being automatically much smaller than the five larger Broadcast networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox and CW). While Disney XD is not as small as say the Funimation Channel is, it isn't as well propagated as CN, SyFi, USA Network, or even Bravo for that matter (Bravo use to be in the same category as Disney XD, G4, and Boomerang, but has moved into more households thanks to their now being owned by NBC/Universal). Where Cartoon Network sits in the Cable/Satellite scheme of things in the United States, is they are part of a basic cable package on most Cable and Satellite company's, where in Disney XD is on extended packages that cost more to get (for argument sake, lets say a Basic package might be $70 a month where the one with Disney XD would be $120 or more a month though I'm low balling these numbers). Otaku might be able to talk Mom, Dad, or even themselves if they live on their own, into getting a basic package with Cartoon Network, which is included by default in the package, but paying quite a bit more money a month for Disney XD to just watch Naruto Shippuden?! No way - even otaku have to eat :P.

So, many posters are not going to be viewing Shippuden via Disney XD. Instead they'll have to opt for viewing it via DVD rentals, buying it, or other means (legal or not), or skip seeing it all together verse seeing it on TV they (or their families) are paying for. There could also be a bit of denial going on about who this show is really meant for verse what you can delude yourself into thinking Cartoon Networks and Adult Swims demos are about but IMNSHO I think this is really about money ^_^' .
Stmurda23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
Omg Surprised
wow

i wouldn't be worry if this was the original 50's disney that was rather violant and a vit racist, but now idk
disney my fu^ naruto
Dr.G

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
The big question is how many people get Disney Anime hyper. I'm not even sure if my cable company has that and if it does I would have to pay extra for it.

Stupid move on Viz's move to air it on a channel with not a lot of viewers.
Dune

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The youtube video (though it has fanboy rage all over it) did have a certain point thought that CN did have a history with the series and for it to now go on a different channel, is somewhat surprising.

Only CN deserves blame for that though, it's clear they didn't want the show despite its good ratings.

And go Disney. I'm not even a fan of Naruto and I'm excited for what this means for the future. With the current slump in the anime industry, I'd say it's a good thing that a popular show like Naruto is on the air again. Wouldn't be surprised if XD also picked up Dragonball Kai.

Also (not aimed at anyone specifically) does it really matter if Naruto is edited? Really? I find these complaints sort of silly. As mentioned, free unedited high quality episodes- hundreds of them- are already legally available via the internet; if that isn't enough DVD's are coming out. If an edited version exists in addition to all of that, how can that possibly be considered a loss?
luhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote
Dr.G wrote:

Stupid move on Viz's move to air it on a channel with not a lot of viewers.

I doubt they had a choice. I'm guessing "Cartoon" Network took a pass on it, so Viz was left to find whatever outlet they could for it. There are not a lot of options for anime on US TV right now. It wouldn't be a good fit for SyFy. What else is there?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:12 am Reply with quote
This will do nothing more than bring a whole new (completely new) generation of fans in, that have absolutely no idea what "Japanese made animation" is, and we will probably (more than likely) get an upsurge of brats claiming that what they've suddenly discovered is the greatest thing of all time.

Hmm? Kind of like most off the people on this site. Fan history repeating itself right on time. Like when the 70's met the 80's, 80's met the 90's and the 90's met the 00's. It seems to happen every ten years. Although I'm a hardcore Otaku who will never leave the fandom, most of you somewhat newer guys will get to witness the kiddies grown from the Disney channel and brought into the fandom. It's like they way I would hear Cartoon Network fans reminisce about their great gateway anime titles. Or old Sci-Fi channel fans talk about how they were introduced to the fandom. I think it's a great idea. Keeps things interesting, keeps things fresh. It brings more people into the fold.

IMO the Naruto Animation isn't worth a damn anyway. It strays so far away from the manga story that it's not even worth paying attention to anymore. The Manga is a long progressive story. (What most shonen becomes) The Animation followed that progressive trait, but then strayed on and off with generic side stories and characters that it more or less became a slow progressing cartoon. Which is perfect for Disney anyway.

Last edited by Shadowrun20XX on Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
So, many posters are not going to be viewing Shippuden via Disney XD. Instead they'll have to opt for viewing it via DVD rentals, buying it, or other means (legal or not), or skip seeing it all together verse seeing it on TV they (or their families) are paying for.

So... what's wrong about those alternative methods?

MeggieMay wrote:
There could also be a bit of denial going on about who this show is really meant for verse what you can delude yourself into thinking Cartoon Networks and Adult Swims demos are about but IMNSHO I think this is really about money ^_^' .

Guess you've answered my question above. It's the money that matters. Paying additional $50 for just one channel would be too much; I wonder if US TV have choices like this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
matthewlow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:34 am Reply with quote
Just looked it up for fun; getting Disney XD would require upgrading my Dish Network package. $13/month doesn't seem like a plan for just Naruto Shippuden (though then again, I'm pretty much paying $40/month for just Cartoon Network already...). When you can buy a box set of Naruto ~13 episodes for $27 via RightStuf, the math isn't there (assuming 1 episode/week).

That said I buy the DVDs anyway and I've been watching on Naruto.com so it's not an issue for me. A TV deal is better than no TV deal, especially because hard core fans have other legal options anyway, and this is more catered to the casual fan. The only down part is not being able to see the dub ASAP (like Bleach, where the dub on CN is way ahead of the DVD release). It's a small price to pay. Seems like people are complaining for no real good reason...
shadowysea07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
have they even watched this show? do they know what their getting into? this show is waay to violent for disney and will obviously be edited like crazy. probably not as bad as 4kids but it will be close. why didn't adult swim get it? that would make more sense. how exactly will they explain things like decapitation and said decapitated head talking?
yeah theres always the uncut dvds but why should i have to buy them to watch whats supposed to be there originally? i'm glad theres always subs because if we could only watch dubs i don't think most anime would even come to the states. i also doubt they will get very high ratings and will probably use that as an excuse to cancell it.
~nanashi~

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
matthewlow wrote:
Just looked it up for fun; getting Disney Anime hyper would require upgrading my Dish Network package. $13/month doesn't seem like a plan for just Naruto Shippuden (though then again, I'm pretty much paying $40/month for just Cartoon Network already...). When you can buy a box set of Naruto ~13 episodes for $27 via RightStuf, the math isn't there (assuming 1 episode/week).

That said I buy the DVDs anyway and I've been watching on Naruto.com so it's not an issue for me. A TV deal is better than no TV deal, especially because hard core fans have other legal options anyway, and this is more catered to the casual fan. The only down part is not being able to see the dub ASAP (like Bleach, where the dub on CN is way ahead of the DVD release). It's a small price to pay. Seems like people are complaining for no real good reason...

I think that what most people are complaining about is that they don't want Naruto to crash and burn like dragon ball did in the box office. I would guess that fans of Naruto just don't want it to be hated (due to all the editing that Disney may do). What I'm trying to get at is that fans don't want newcomers to see it and simply say "what a piece of crap" (mostly likely due to edits that may take place) like so many said about Dragon Ball Evolution, then cast it aside.
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:56 am Reply with quote
Okay many people are overreacting.

Honestly Mario1234567... ViZ makes the freaking press release and you STILL insist that Disney is handling the dub? REALLY? Even after Liam-freaking-O'Brien tries to be the voice of reason and assures us the DVD release will continue on being uncut many of you are on pins and needles? Disney has the BROADCAST RIGHTS, not the license.

Now that isn't to say fans like Mario have unfounded reason to believe the edits would be worse than CN's. I mean if anyone ever saw Gargoyles, Darkwing Duck or Bonkers on the network as Toon Disney there ARE noticeable edits and episodes taken out of circulation. Disney doing that to their OWN SHOWS. Sit on that for a moment. If they do that to the shows some of us 80s born kids grew up on and still consider badass well it's fair to assert this will be a downgrade from its Toonami run...well that and the fact that fewer people have access to Disney Channel X-D.

Also knowing how Jetix censors Naruto in Europe, that brings their "fan raeg" closer to light. Even so, it's clear Turner (CN/Adult Swim) wants NOTHING to do with anime these days so don't act like CN got screwed if they were interested in other investments.

In the end, it's a freaking BUSINESS DECISION. ViZ has to pay the bills, the studios and whatnot. In case you haven't noticed not every anime fan is a "boy scout" that buys the DVDs. ANYTHING that supports the industry dubbing OR parent companies is going to pay their bills and keeps the legit part of your hobby alive.

Adding to the fact that Disney is trying to aggressively target a young male market, the Marvel acquisition and the broadcast rights to Naruto Shippuuden are what the company believes will strengthen its image.

Besides nothing's changed with the boxsets, if you don't like the edits then buy those. Seeing how I don't even GET Disney X-D I was going to do this anyway. Stop being so short sighted.
calimike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:59 am Reply with quote
You buy DVD with no censor version. Lol Disney Anime hyper ch.189 on Time Warner Cable in Woodland Hlls, CA
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:33 am Reply with quote
This is suppose to be great news. Naruto made it onto a Disney channel that has a Spanish language network and penetration all over the world. The network is suppose to have teen programming in theory. It might even be able to get above Y7 this year with Shippuden. Laughing

I wish that One Piece had that kind of luck.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I wish that One Piece had that kind of luck.
No kidding. It definitely deserves it more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 16