• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - The League of Extraordinary Supernerds

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:56 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I wish I could be a teacher/educator to new anime/manga fan about the danger of pirating anime, watching illegal fansubs, and reading scanlation. Anybody with me on this??

Why not start by submitting a panel about fansub and scanlation ethics to a local convention? I ran my first fansub ethics pane last year at a local convention, which went off really well, and planning to do it again this October.
Graddick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I once again tip my hat to the wit and good humor of Surat and Toole. Of their punditry I can never get enough.

As interesting as this week's discussion was, here's hoping that that the ANNcast will one day play host to a dialogue on its topics. A collection of people who more or less totally agree on all major points does not make for great debate.
So much was said about younger anime fans. Why not invite one or two of the more erudite ones on to the show? As someone who came into anime in the late 90s and mostly consumes fansubs, I am more than willing to step up to the plate myself.

Zac and Justin will often refer to some inane belief among anime fandom, but unless I'm hearing it from the horse's mouth, I can't help but assume they are simplifying/mischaracterizing their opponents.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Graddick wrote:

Zac and Justin will often refer to some inane belief among anime fandom, but unless I'm hearing it from the horse's mouth, I can't help but assume they are simplifying/mischaracterizing their opponents.

I'm going to assume you don't ever read our forums or any of the piracy debates that happen here because when we do talk about those "inane beliefs" it's because a bunch of people espoused said beliefs directly, over and over again, in the forums for years and years. If that isn't "right from the horse's mouth" I don't know what is.

Also that was a hilariously awkward way to compliment yourself and then suggest I have you on as a guest to talk about piracy, man. Way to be subtle! But I'll keep you in mind the next time we want to have a discussion on the subject (which won't be for some time as people have expressed that they're dead tired of talking about it).
Demon of Rashomon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I frequently listen to people in person talk about their piracy in exactly the ways Justin and Zac described. I had to spend years defending my stance of actually buying things, I was seen as the stupid one for feeding these 'massive and terrible American companies' while by watching a fansub they believed they were somehow contributing directly to Japan. To be dragged through the mud for years because I actually wanted to buy something which they genuinely believed was of worse quality and value than a fansub was quite soul destroying at a time when I was desperately looking for others who shared my interests. To find it only to be rejected for something like that was upsetting. It kept me away from actually participating in anime communities for years.
Graddick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I'm going to assume you don't ever read our forums or any of the piracy debates

You're right. I don't. I've gone through a few and they were all awful. I'm hoping that if the issue is debated as an actual conversation between human beings it might turn out better.

Zac wrote:
Also that was a hilariously awkward way to compliment yourself and then suggest I have you on as a guest to talk about piracy, man. Way to be subtle!

I'm not sure how I was complimenting myself, but I only suggested myself because I didn't want to be told to "Well, why don't you put up or shut up, man! It's easy to criticize from behind a computer screen" as a response to my comment. I'm sure you know of/will be able to find, someone with whom to have this discussion. I will look forward to it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Graddick wrote:
Zac wrote:

You're right. I don't. I've gone through a few and they were all awful. I'm hoping that if the issue is debated as an actual conversation between human beings it might turn out better.

That's a very good point and I appreciate the feedback; I will definitely consider it.

Zac wrote:

I'm not sure how I was complimenting myself, but I only suggested myself because I didn't want to be told to "Well, why don't you put up or shut up, man! It's easy to criticize from behind a computer screen" as a response to my comment. I'm sure you know of/will be able to find, someone with whom to have this discussion. I will look forward to it.

You're a smart guy and actually a great candidate to come on to talk about this from the other side, I was just giving you a hard time. As I said, I'll keep it in mind.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Graddick wrote:
Zac wrote:

That's a very good point and I appreciate the feedback; I will definitely consider it.

Zac wrote:

You're a smart guy and actually a great candidate to come on to talk about this from the other side, I was just giving you a hard time. As I said, I'll keep it in mind.

The problem is that unless you can get an intelligent human being on the other side it's just going to be like the forums. A case can be made that in the case of Geneon and ADV their losses where self inflicted paying way to much, putting out to much anime that they didn't properly advertise, and liscensing anime that didn't stand a chance (Cybuster is the most obvious)

You cam also make the arguement that Japan's interest are aimed at people who are teenagers in America, so they don't buy it while work like Outlaw Star, Trigun, and Cowboy Beebop where watched by adults.

The thing is that most of the debates are "I want to watch it now", "The companies are a bunch of rich fat cats", "Anime should be free".
Graddick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The problem is that unless you can get an intelligent human being on the other side it's just going to be like the forums.

You're absolutely right. The problem is where to find someone to speak for the masses of new fans that are hooked on downloading. After thinking about it for a little while, I believe that such people are nearly impossible to find because the time and devotion needed to be a pundit is not characteristic of the new breed of anime fan. They aren't running websites or making podcasts. At least none that I know of.
arromdee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Hard sci-fi is sci-fi which is based around scientific accuracy and technical details. (This doesn't mean it can't be about the human condition--it's about the world, not the storytelling.)

Cobra might be, with not too much stretching, classified as hard sci-fi. (Really hard sci-fi might even leave out faster than light travel on the grounds that it's scientifically impossible, but most people are not that strict.)

But John Carter of Mars in no way could be classified as hard sci-fi, and I don't think Avatar could be either.
arromdee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
And about piracy: One thing that seems to get forgotten a lot is that normal television is basically one huge way to watch a creator's stuff without giving him any money--of course the ads pay for the show, but you are by no means obligated to watch them and skipping them is not in any way wrong.

And then there's renting; it's true that a certain number of copies of the work have to be bought, but the number is drastically lower than what it would be if everyone watching a rented video actually bought the video. It's apparently okay to deprive the creator of 95% of his income when renting a video that's bought once and watched by 20 customers. (The same applies to library books.) And the creator gets no money when you buy a used video game instead of a new one.

The line between these acceptable means of denying the creator money, and piracy, actually is quite thin.

Of course, one is legal and one isn't, but I'm not talking legality here... and when you do consider legality, the law is so messed up that there's no way any sane person would have respect for it--for instance, most fan fiction is copyright violation.
YoSoyJaponesa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Great podcast, first off...I've been about a week behind so I've been playing catchup with them...

I KNEW I should've sent in my question earlier though, I think it would've fit this discussion well....

Hmm, the whole conversation you four had on pirating and fansubs, (and people who complain about artists...), made me suddenly think of this quote from "The Simpsons"
---------------------------------------------------
Bart: Hey, I know it wasn't great, but what right do you have to complain?
Comic Book Guy: As a loyal viewer, I feel they owe me.
Bart: What? They're giving you thousands of hours of entertainment for free. What could they possibly owe you? I mean, if anything, you owe them!
Comic Book Guy: Worst episode ever.
------------------------------------------------------------
Eeh, the whole debate over this tends to open a BIG can of worms, which obviously has occurred in this thread, so I'm gonna avoid it...

I've only been to about four (small) con's so far, their pretty chaotic, but it dosen't seem to bother me, at least not yet...
(Of course, I see cons from a more fiscal P.O.V., so maybe I just see these wacky kids as a way to earn some cash...I dunno.)

But I guess I can sympathize with you folks about anime con's losing a little focus...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9