• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: ANN 5.0

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
where is the old option format period?

why is not one of the format choices? yes it was the best choice for the site.

just one persons thoughts on the matter.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
It stays in the browser.

Not always.

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Bugs are the result of poorly written code in Javascript.

Of course, but that happens pretty often. It's quite reasonable for someone to turn it off due to the all the buggy scripts which are freezing things up on many sites they visit.

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Truth be told, most people don't understand Javascript at all.

Truth be told, most people who turn JavaScript off only do so after it has actually caused them some serious problems. That's a pretty natural and sensible reaction, even if you don't agree that it's the right one. It most certainly does not mean they're ignorant morons.
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I find this layout very user-unfriendly. My computer can't run the new site at all, and it took about five minutes for this last page to load on my Wii U's Internet Browser. I've always thought if it isn't broke, then why fix it. I don't like the new ANN one bit.
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
As someone who understands how harmful javascript and buggy it can be...

Er, no. You don't understand Javascript at all.

Javascript is a sandbox scripting language and has no access to a user's computer. It stays in the browser.

Bugs are the result of poorly written code in Javascript.

Truth be told, most people don't understand Javascript at all.

I was talking more specifically about Cross-Site Scripting and and Cross-site request forging mostly as exploits within javascript and not with javascript itself. I didn't bother going into details as really no one here cares and really not the place for it. But nope I have no idea what I'm talking about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dlm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:

I think some of the initial backlash will die down as people get used to the changes.

A lot of that is just people no longer visiting the site.
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
dlm wrote:
Kikaioh wrote:

I think some of the initial backlash will die down as people get used to the changes.

A lot of that is just people no longer visiting the site.

No one is going to keep having a temper tantrum about it to that extent.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Guess I'll put in my 2 cents.

I also prefer the old layout. I had tried the beta layout and then quickly changed back to the old one.

The only view of the main page I "like" is "List View with Images." Something really needs to be done about all the WHITE though. It's so bright. I've changed the skin to Just Blue which helps a bit but things seem to change back to the default skin when I log in from a different computer. I thought these changes were supposed to be locked to your account? Anyway, even with the skin, the front page is wider than the rest of the site which means there's a lot more white space and it's still quite bright on the eyes. I think it would be best if ANN could size the front page to be the same width as the rest of the site. It could just be my browser, but some encyclopedia pages seem to take up the full width of the screen too which means a whole lot of WHITE. Ow, my eyes.

The top menu (News, Views, New Anime, etc) does not seem to be play nice with Firefox's AdBlock add-on. Clicking on any of the menu headers will shift the entire area down and near the top will be a blank area. This does not happen if AdBlock is disabled.

The new look isn't horrible, but there are a lot of things that need to be fixed and all things said, I prefer the old layout.
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
The top menu (News, Views, New Anime, etc) does not seem to be play nice with Firefox's AdBlock add-on. Clicking on any of the menu headers will shift the entire area down and near the top will be a blank area. This does not happen if AdBlock is disabled.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that unless you're a subscriber, they're not going to spend much time catering to people who want to use AdBlock...
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
^
Given how Tempest has gotten extremely upset with people in the past who simply mentioned that they used AdBlock, it is indeed unlikely (at best) that AdBlock users will be catered to.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that unless you're a subscriber, they're not going to spend much time catering to people who want to use AdBlock...

Works fine for me.
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Works fine for me.

That's not shocking. Different users are going to have different experiences with any plug-in.

But if you have bugs when browsing ANN with AdBlock, ANN is not going to care. That's all I mean.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Given how Tempest has gotten extremely upset with people in the past who simply mentioned that they used AdBlock, it is indeed unlikely (at best) that AdBlock users will be catered to.

I'm a subscriber, use Firefox, and have ad-blocker. Up until now, I've kept it turned off for this site because it wasn't necessary.

Now it is.

Now I'm getting ads on the front page even though I'm a subscriber. That's not kosher, so ad-blocker will be turned on until the issue is resolved. As I am a subscriber, it's not like this is going to cost the site any revenue, since I'm not supposed to be getting any ads to begin with.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
DavidShallcross wrote:
I'm running an old system, Internet Explorer 8 on a netbook running XP.

The survey would not work, even though my system is configured to accept all cookies from anybody.

Where you logged in to ANN before trying the survey? I had the same issue with Win7 FF25, and I thought I was logged in but wasn't. Once I refreshed the page and logged in I was able to submit the survey. It should have said that you needed to log in or register for an account instead of saying cookies were not enabled. I think that's a bug.

Thank you! I couldn't figure out the "cookies not enabled" thing but at least now I know where to start looking for the bug.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
Woah, this white background is blinding.

If you don't change anything else at least bring back the blue background.

Also, there's a lot of whitespace, which looks kind of bleh.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:08 am Reply with quote
^
Different skins can be found under My ANN -> Change skin. It is possible to get rid of the white.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11