• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Anime Gets Sloppy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philmister978

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
Anime sucks, just read manga instead, art is usually less crappy.

While your at it, why not say that all filmed media sucks?

Really? There's just as much crappy Manga art out there as there is crappy animation.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, I'd prefer to just take the original animation, crappy art and all. That way, a proper HD transfer could be made instead of that upscale.

Yeah, those redone scenes stuck out like a whole hand's worth of sore thumbs. Jumping from traditional cels to digipaint and back again just makes for a case of whiplash.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, I'd prefer to just take the original animation, crappy art and all. That way, a proper HD transfer could be made instead of that upscale.

Yeah, those redone scenes stuck out like a whole hand's worth of sore thumbs. Jumping from traditional cels to digipaint and back again just makes for a case of whiplash.

And it's not like the redone art was even necessarily all that much of an improvement.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I remember some of the episodes of Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex where Motoko Kusanagi had odd "flat face" issues just out of nowhere. It is especially noticeable in Season 1, Episode 18: "Lost Heritage", when she sneaks into the girl's bedroom and starts talking with her. I read somewhere that was due to a second string group of animators coming in for certain episodes of the series.

My favorite sloppy anime movement is in Street Fighter II V. While Ryu is in the tea shop, there is a movement of his outstretched arms going from right to left. If you look closely enough, you can actually see that the animator is sliding the cel of the outstretched arms on top of a background -- this is noticeable because the surrounding lint and dust on the cel is visbily moving with the outstretched arms pan shot. >_>
ki_881

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:46 am Reply with quote
Out of all Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood episodes, episode 57 bothered me from the Art Direction. Mostly some issues near the end:

[/img]
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:48 am Reply with quote
Personally I'm big fan of experimentation in anime. Why not let talented animators go wild with their skills? If they want to do something different for sake of moving image, then I'm all for it. It's not like they're getting off rich by doing it.

That kind of surprises make anime viewing more enjoyable because it shakes up expected polished visuals that fans expect all the time.

That Naruto Shippuden episode was intentional. Atsushi Wakabayashi is animator in his core and he has no qualm about bring in fresh visual on relatively stale Shonen anime. He was responsible for using up most of the season's budget for animating that Naruto vs Sasuke scene in Naruto ep. 133.

I've noticed that some people don't like that Shippuden episode because production drawing of each frame doesn't look "anime/manga enough". For sake of animation, it's a visual triumph. I think it really rocked the boat on fans' expectation of how anime should look.

Birdy Decode episode 7 is also intentional because animators Shingo Yamashita and Kazuyuki Niho got series director's full blessing to do it.

Don't get me wrong. I do cringe at terrible off-model drawing on static image of typical anime. I think fans put too much value on static image over movement and I feel that it distorts the perception of what animation means to Anime. Static images are inevitable due to TV budget, but it shouldn't dictate how animators express themselves when an opportunity is present.

Last edited by reanimator on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:50 am Reply with quote
Nine pages into the thread and no one's brought up The Hakkenden? I feel kinda old Smile

The experimentation in that series (the 10th episode in particular) used to be a lightning rod for criticism. Compare OVA #10 to #3 (of which it's a kind of continuation) and they look like two different shows altogether. Whether the experiment was successful or not is certainly fair game for debate, but something on this level just doesn't happen because the staff lacked basic drawing skills. It takes a lot of skill to pull something like this off.

The same goes for that Naruto shot. That it's a very skilfully made cut of animation should be pretty clear. Whether or not it's appropriate in context of the rest of the show is another matter, of course. Personally, I think there may be some merit to that "taking you out of the story argument" because I was probably was admiring the drawings more than I was feeling Pain's rage.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:24 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Nine pages into the thread and no one's brought up The Hakkenden? I feel kinda old Smile

The experimentation in that series (the 10th episode in particular) used to be a lightning rod for criticism. Compare OVA #10 to #3 (of which it's a kind of continuation) and they look like two different shows altogether. Whether the experiment was successful or not is certainly fair game for debate, but something on this level just doesn't happen because the staff lacked basic drawing skills. It takes a lot of skill to pull something like this off.

You mean that Masaaki Yuasa & Shinya Ohira episode. You're right. It takes serious skill to emulate "rotoscope" look without using rotoscope.

By the way, your forum pic of Van is pretty neat. I think that was drawn by Takahiro Komori (character designer of Darker than Black). I used to obsess over animation director/supervisor of each Escaflowne episode.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I started a reply here days ago and haven't had my computer on since. I cannot remember what it is I was going to say.

Re-watching The Third recently I was reminded how badly off model that one episode was, episode 10 IIRC. There was also an episode or two of Gigantic Formula that went off the rails and was not fixed for the DVDs. Of course, in terms of DVD fixes, Negima was infamous for having whole episodes completely re-animated from the storyboards.

The best animation goof I have seen recently however, has to be this:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Personally I'm big fan of experimentation in anime. Why not let talented animators go wild with their skills? If they want to do something different for sake of moving image, then I'm all for it. It's not like they're getting off rich by doing it.

They should be given that freedom.

Quote:
I've noticed that some people don't like that Shippuden episode because production drawing of each frame doesn't look "anime/manga enough". For sake of animation, it's a visual triumph. I think it really rocked the boat on fans' expectation of how anime should look.

There needs to be more of that.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
The best animation goof I have seen recently however, has to be this:

In the cel-animated days, this would be an issue of the cameraman either not following the dope sheet correctly (whether they were right or not), or simply forgetting to take off that particular cel while photographing the layers. This use to happen a lot in regular TV cartoons though these days it seems like there wouldn't be an excuse for that if you could catch it digitally.
uguu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

The same goes for that Naruto shot. That it's a very skilfully made cut of animation should be pretty clear. Whether or not it's appropriate in context of the rest of the show is another matter, of course. Personally, I think there may be some merit to that "taking you out of the story argument" because I was probably was admiring the drawings more than I was feeling Pain's rage.

I don't understand why people shat blood over art shifts in Hakkenden because even episode 1 randomly shifted styles
yu3lora

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:30 am Reply with quote
I was watching Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic and got a little disappointing because of the ugly drawings. Its currently being TV broadcast right now. And then I notice that its not only that show. So I guess they did that on purpose so that people would buy the Bluray/DVD copy of the show.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
yu3lora wrote:
I was watching Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic and got a little disappointing because of the ugly drawings. Its currently being TV broadcast right now. And then I notice that its not only that show. So I guess they did that on purpose so that people would buy the Bluray/DVD copy of the show.

Which in itself seems petty.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9