• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Terror in Resonance (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Did they really have to indulge in that stupid burned dinner scene? It was a wart on what otherwise was a sensational episode.

The stakes just went up by an order of magnitude.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:24 am Reply with quote
I'd go farther and just say Lisa is a boil on an otherwise sensational series. It's like Aoi from Coppelion was air-dropped in just to piss me off with her uselessness.

Don't know who the blond guy is, but he's got his English down. Smile

I can't remember which scene, but the ED reminds me of an insert song from Wolf's Rain.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:30 am Reply with quote
Fantastic episode, the tension was palpable! Five has definitely piqued my interest. And i'm still hoping that there's an actual point to Lisa's character, other than "we need another chick because otherwise there'd be too many dudes" in this show...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

I totally spoiler[got it, the point of what they were doing, that there really was no plan to kill anyone with the bombs, and that they were meant to get attention, be believed and get the truth about the facility revealed.] And it seems their real enemy is not a detective, like some of you thinking this was like Death Note, no spoiler[it is someone to match them. It looks like their plan has been spotted for what it hopes to achieve, and they sent Five, someone who probably has skills like them, and her first act was to actually turn them into terrorists that hurt people.]

About Lisa spoiler[failing at cooking, well she was still sick, my sister once turned a pie into a smoking mess when she was sick, and this was by using a microwave where time should be easy to set]. I am not entirely sure of her point, but I trust there will be something. The illness thing seemed to maybe only come from sleeping outside.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:30 am Reply with quote
Ya know, I thought that once Lisa snapped out of her mopey apathy, she might become more palatable as a character. Oh, how wrong I was. Even mopey apathy is better than a spoiler[useless, fainting-at-a-drop-of-a-hat, can't cook] non-entity.

This show is far from sensational for me. It has great production values, a relatively interesting story, but it's doing nothing special on the characterization front. It's a little hard to tell yet, but the early indications are that spoiler[Five is going to be an all too typical, light-hearted sociopath who revels in evil] ... because?
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote
For what's worth the series has been relatively realistic barring a couple logic leaps but this episode really just threw all that out the window.

As meiam pointed who thought it was a good idea to just let the spoiler[bomb blow up when you have so many police who knew where it was and wanted to stop it?] Gee nothing bad is going to come of that right? Just letting a spoiler[bunch of innocent civilians die isn't going to cause a stir in the media eh?] I guess this is going to be a spoiler[government conspiracy where they will do anything and everything to cover up what happened in the facility.] Even if they have to pull their out theirspoiler[ super powered hackers] to stop our "noble" terrorists who don't want to hurt anybody!

I can see this turning into popcorn entertainment but not much more. Rather disappointing.

Lisa still being useless while the show is awkwardly trying insert comedic humor through her doesn't help.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:59 am Reply with quote
Actually, I find the decision spoiler[to let the bomb blow up] to be "logical" to a certain extent. I mean, it's ruthless, but here's what I assume the thinking is behind it:

The Shadowy Powers That Be have noted that the terrorists have gone out of their way not to kill people. Therefore, I think they calculated that if they spoiler[let the bomb ride despite knowing where it is, the terrorists would make an effort to retrieve it themselves. This would force them out of hiding which is exactly what happened. The mere fact that this strategy was very likely to cause casualties would be small potatoes, of course. Also, let's say for the sake of argument people did die and the terrorists weren't caught,] it would be guaranteed to swing public opinion against them.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote
@ leatherhead333
Think about some of the public opinions on Sphinx. Yes they were terrorists, but spoiler[they had not killed anyone, and seemed to be outsmarting the police, actions that might get them viewed as more than just killers]. They could be a symbol of spoiler[fighting bad authority, and people can have an interest in "outlaws", and with no serious victims people would be interested in their goal]. Turning them spoiler[into actual outlaws that have killed people may have the effect of people not wanting to know their intentions due to being disgusted]. Don't believe me that people are spoiler[interested in outlaws? Billy the Kid, Black Beard, Ned Kelly, outlaws that people are interested in due to being unable to quantify victims.]

Pretty much saying that the spoiler[people up top are trying to muddy the image, and they don't care about people dying.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote
If all of that is true, how did it serve Sphinx' interests to havespoiler[ the bomb be real in the first place?] Wouldn't a spoiler[smoke bomb or a harmless charge] serve the purpose?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:45 am Reply with quote
Because spoiler[when it was found, the police had to still take them seriously.]

I'm with Blood, though, on this show. Part of it may just be that I never found misbehavior to be "cool," which seems like a prerequisite for appreciating this show. And the addition of a weird antagonist doesn't serve the show at all when there is still no real meaning behind any of it. I can't see it as "upping the stakes" when I don't know or care what the stakes are.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
If they'd had used a spoiler[fake bomb], they might have lost credibility with the police (expecting them to find and disarm the bomb in time). In order to achieve whatever they set out to achieve, they need to be taken seriously: The very real threat of using nuclear material, actually blowing stuff up and displaying the capability of shocking and terrorizing the city. If they would use spoiler[fakes], it could reduce them to trolls. They clearly want to establish a working relationship with Shibazaki, guiding him towards the real threat (spoiler[big evil government conspiracy whatnot]). I don't think that could be accomplished by just playing without showing the ability to execute. I also believe they intend to use their own existence as evidence in their case ("they made us this way").

I have several concerns at this point, mostly regarding the female characters.

1.) Please, please let Lisa become useful. If she's just there to throw herself in front of some gun at some point, it will be a waste.

2.) Please don't portray spoiler[Five] as evil for evil's sake. spoiler[If she tried to escape with them in the past, but was caught in the process and (i imagine) thoroughly punished afterwards], she could harbor a lot of interesting, possibly conflicted feelings towards the boys and her current employer. I hope they will flesh those out a bit.

Also, why did we leave the spoiler[Oedipus references] behind? Crying or Very sad
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Actually, I find the decision spoiler[to let the bomb blow up] to be "logical" to a certain extent. I mean, it's ruthless, but here's what I assume the thinking is behind it:

The Shadowy Powers That Be have noted that the terrorists have gone out of their way not to kill people. Therefore, I think they calculated that if they spoiler[let the bomb ride despite knowing where it is, the terrorists would make an effort to retrieve it themselves. This would force them out of hiding which is exactly what happened. The mere fact that this strategy was very likely to cause casualties would be small potatoes, of course. Also, let's say for the sake of argument people did die and the terrorists weren't caught,] it would be guaranteed to swing public opinion against them.

I was able to assume that much. But if they knew that the terrorists were going to spoiler[attempt to stop the bomb themselves shouldn't they have had their personal waiting for 9 or 12 to show up and try to stop the bomb?] Nine pretty much spoiler[gave himself away with how he acted at the station.] Yet i don't think anyone noticed (though this could change next episode). I can see why they had that thought process but they didn't seem to plan it all the way through.

But also again the other issue here is how are they going to keep this whole situation underwraps? Are they going to spoiler[start resorting to death threats if anyone involved in the situation talks?] I think a good amount of people are going to have an issue with spoiler[just letting a situation they could have stopped happen.] Though plotwise i think that's just so our detective will get even more interested in finding out about the spoiler[conspiracy.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
I was able to assume that much. But if they knew that the terrorists were going to spoiler[attempt to stop the bomb themselves shouldn't they have had their personal waiting for 9 or 12 to show up and try to stop the bomb?]

If you assume that the Shadowy Powers That Be aren't interested in simply capturing 9 and 12, but discrediting them as well, then spoiler[sending a whole bunch of police out in public would make zero sense. How could the authorities claim they had no idea where the bomb was if there's a bunch of police around where the bomb goes off?]

And really, there aren't all spoiler[that many people who have to keep their mouths shut. Obviously, Shibasaki is the biggest threat for spilling the beans, but he's already been under a cloud for years, so the SPTB would have little difficulty discrediting him even if he did come forward.]
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Forget lack of characterization, my biggest problem with Five is her fashion sense.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Whaddaya mean? She's stylin'!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 25