• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 "Gateway" Anime Sure to Get Newbies Hooked

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:21 am Reply with quote
^
I think that it would be a waste of time to try to please somebody who is more concerned with the aspect ratio than the content of the show.

Q: What kind of shows do you like?
A: HD
Q: What is your favorite genre?
A: 16:9

I'll pass.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
I would've put Outlaw Star somewhere on the list.

and instead of black lagoon , i would put ghost in the shell stand alone complex considering that those people might be ok with the high violence but not with the constant f bombs and other languages we normally hear in the streets. and instead of brotherhood i would put in the first FMA. also fruit basket is ok, but not many would go for it or have the tendency to wait until the series pick up.especially if you want to make girls into shoujo ai fans. best best is ouran host high school,inuyasha or crest: celestial legend , or better yet. fushigi yugi. i would put that series over fruit basket.

though i am surprised that the ryo oki OVAs is number 1 especially when it comes to recommending harem series. unless its love hina that is. though considering that the bandai dub is kinda mediocre if not atrocious at times is probably why. Funi definitely should have issued a new dub when they got the license.

and i am kinda surprised that maka outdo usagi in that poll. if it was heroine in general , i could easily she her or probably nanoha or fate as #1 but heroine with twin hairdos? definitely a snub if i see one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
A little surprised that they said overseas people haven't been helping out much. I did my part, at least.

I'm not surprised either. While it's certainly possible play Region 4 DVDs in other parts of the world, it takes effort and perhaps an investment in a region-free DVD player. I'm considering buying Monster despite these obstacles but only out of loyalty to the creators. And, frankly, I doubt any of them are getting much in the way of income from sales of Monster in Australia.

I've wondered for a while whether Japan has a system of "residuals" like we do in the States. It's not uncommon for actors, especially actors in commercials and programs in syndication, to receive residual payments for years after the material was first aired. If I buy a copy of an older anime today, either in Japan or from a foreign licensor, do the original actors and staffers see any portion of my contribution? Or does it largely accrue to the production committee or its corporate offspring?
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
As a few other posters have said, you have to take a person's taste into account. I've gotten quite a few people interested in anime just from watching Ouran High School Host Club.

I think that Emma: A Victorian Romance would be a great series to show someone just so they can see that anime has a lot of different stories to tell.

Also, count me in the group that think that GitS: SAC should be on the list instead of Psycho Pass.
Bluenoser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm so old that my intros to anime where Street Racer, Astro Boy, Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers, Science Team Gatchaman/G-Force, Voltron and Robotech. Indeed, by the time Robotech had come out I had already been trying to find original Anime material, for me it was Yamato/Star Blazers that addicted me. Growing up as a SF fan and having so little good stories outside of literary form this series not only blew away typical NA animation stories but most live action SF out there too for me, and caused me to want to find more from a culture that produced such a wonderful work. So it is not easy for me to relate to this topic directly.

That said, I would add one series I haven't seen mentioned because it strongly relies on classic Greco-Roman mythic themes that are accessible to most western culture audiences from NA to Europe to Australia I should think. That would be Heroic Age. It has a good soundtrack, the visuals I find are quite captivating, it is recent enough to work well for those who find the older anime a turn-off because of the age differences like aspect ratios and such, and it follows a classic storytelling structure AND tale literally eons old. This would be a good choice for those that are or see themselves as something of literary snobs for a starting point, because it shows just how this medium can be used to do the same as great classic literary tales of mythic heroes and epic sagas.

In closing, I wanted to say I was glad to see someone remember BubbleGum Crisis 2040, because for a lot of people I knew in the 90s this was a big one for them to introduce them to anime. Mos of the folks I knew who got into anime was because we were SF fans first, and anime does a better job of giving good SF than NA/European animation both back then and to this day, although in fairness that gap has narrowed a lot from then to now.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Wonder what fans would be like if it was a harem that got them hooked onto anime

They'd be harem fans? Not sure where you're going with this, plenty of people got into anime for the blood and nudity alone.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Wonder what fans would be like if it was a harem that got them hooked onto anime

They'd be harem fans? Not sure where you're going with this, plenty of people got into anime for the blood and nudity alone.

Actually, the question goes back to the whole "culture war" between those who grew up on Tenchi TV and those who grew up on OVA as their first experience--One is constantly distracted by Importance, Plot and Epic, while the other accepts the comfortable welcoming company of oddball characters and spoofed archetypes in whatever situation they may be. Smile
(That was my generation, of course, but if someone was hooked on anime from watching Is This A Zombie on Hulu?...Yeah, it could happen.)

It's those who got into anime for the "forbidden" blood and nudity--back when the news was doing scare-stories about violent hentai--who rushed out to rent Ninja Scroll at Blockbuster, and constantly try to push "mind-blowing" anime on innocent newbies. It's a search for the same high they never find.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

true enough. in the 80's and 90's. most people was introduced to anime cause of high violent and sex based movies like Mad Bull 34,Ninja Scroll and others. which wasnt doing too well sales wise in the US.

its the reason why they went to harem series like love hina and the tenchi OVAs. however and unfortunately which poed a lot of those otakus it was the temporary americanization of some series to be kid friendly that got anime in general to be mainstreamed for eg, girls based series like the DIC version of SM as was definitely a sell in the 90's. not to mentioned for the boys there was of course DBZ, harmony gold's version of macross and gundam wing. and for everone in general there's pokemon and YGO. so to be frank you cant use one genre to get someone into anime, you need all of them to give the person your influencing options. and of course the english dubs have to be great and well done otherwise if you expose them to an awful dub like those that was massacred by 4kids as well as nelvana & you could end up turning them into sub only elites as well as fansubbing lifers which wont help anyone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
true enough. in the 80's and 90's. most people was introduced to anime cause of high violent and sex based movies like Mad Bull 34,Ninja Scroll and others. which wasnt doing too well sales wise in the US.

its the reason why they went to harem series like love hina and the tenchi OVAs. .

Actually, it was that the small-time companies--Streamline particularly among them--in the early days that could only get one-offs, short OVA's and features, and probably at low licensing rates due to the studios being plenty glad to get rid of them.
Usually, in eight cases out of ten, being the more fringe-y splatter-action, or the artsy-fartsy features that hadn't done well in their own home theaters. (Not to mention Streamline trying to exploit every last dollar out of their success with Fist of the North Star by bringing over every Toyou Ashida film they could afford.)

Tenchi had Pioneer's money in it, and Love Hina had Bandai's money in it, and it wasn't until bi-coastal corporations started sensing the export market that we had more mainstream titles that ADVision, AnimEigo and Central Park Media couldn't afford. Which, in the 90's, were the comedies and sci-fi that had been airing on actual Japanese television.
If those happened to do better over here, well, that's probably why they ran longer to more of a mass-market audience in their own country.
Maize Hughes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:37 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

If you're talking about the more "mainstreamed" Tenchi Universe TV series, OTOH, that solved a lot of problems that angered quick-thinking fans resentful at having the OAV shoved down their throat because it was such an "epic".
The series reduces the concept to a simple comfort-food harem comedy--arguably the first one, since it was parodying a famous Japanese love-triangle story--

WHICH FAMOUS LOVE-TRIANGLE STORY?
I MUST KNOW!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Maize Hughes wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
The series reduces the concept to a simple comfort-food harem comedy--arguably the first one, since it was parodying a famous Japanese love-triangle story--

WHICH FAMOUS LOVE-TRIANGLE STORY?
I MUST KNOW!

They say it straight out in "Tenchi Muyo in Love", when Mihoshi pretends to be a literature teacher, and teaches the class about "The Demon of Rashomon Gate"--
About the tragic love triangle between a young priest, his princess, and the romantic female demon he's been sent to exorcise, and later joins sides with. (Loosely adapted as the Japanese foreign-film "Kuroneko".)
...Anyone wanna take a guess who's who? Wink

What WE know as the "Harem comedy" of indecisive male leads came later (once they started adapting date-sim games to anime), but here, it was just Classic Japanese Tragedy Gone Silly, by inserting a little sci-fi.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

I'm not. I, clearly, live in Australia...and I only heard of Siren earlier this year...which reminds me, I should get around to Dennou Coil, though I barely blind buy. But, that sale is awfully tempting right now, and I've heard good things...Laughing

Like someone else said, definitely buy it. I started watching it not too long ago and I'm hooked. I hear it's considered a children's series, and you can definitely tell from the lack of fanservice, graphic violence, and its rather innocent tone, but its also a very smart, well made series. I wish it was released here in the U.S. I don't have a region free player (and I'm not sure if the whole PAL/NTSC stuff will cause issues for my tv), but I want one. Anyone know where I can buy one of Siren's releases that can be shipped to the U.S.?

BTW looking at Siren's releases they strike me as the Australian equivalent of Sentai, with similar packaging and features.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
BTW looking at Siren's releases they strike me as the Australian equivalent of Sentai, with similar packaging and features.

But better taste.

For region-free DVD players: Amazon NewEgg
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
For region-free DVD players: Amazon NewEgg

Alternatively, you can check if your existing stand-alone DVD player has a remote control hack that can make it region-free at:

http://www.videohelp.com
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
Anyone know where I can buy one of Siren's releases that can be shipped to the U.S.?

You can buy directly from Siren, they ship internationally.
http://www.sirenvisual.com.au/Content/FAQs.php

And, it's funny you mention Sentai. Only because, recently, I've noticed that Hanabee seems to grab a lot of Sentai titles. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10