• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Muv-Luv: Schwarzesmarken (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Ep 10
The crazy part of this is that when you have series oddly sync up with presentations, in this case we have Schwarz syncing up with Gundam IBO presenting the death of a female antagonist.

Both events are sad for differing reasons, in Theodor's case it is failing to see the face of a traitor when he likely had known for years of the Stasi's tactics.

Lise is a tragic character in that what little light she had left existed only for Theodor and even that was still twisted, the rest of her heart and soul was nothing more than a tool for Beatrix to use.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Ep 10
The crazy part of this is that when you have series oddly sync up with presentations, in this case we have Schwarz syncing up with Gundam IBO presenting the death of a female antagonist.

Well, it's unclear in IBO's case if she actually died or not. Of the two, Lise is certainly the more tragic.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that was a powerful scene. The music was spot-on. The OST is so awesome. I'll definitely remember this character death.

The "nice ass" comment cracked me up. Is there a girl in Muv-Luv Alternative/Unlimited universe that doesn't have a nice ass (and a cute face)? Laughing
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote
These last two episodes have been a heartbreak for me because of the death(s) that occurred -- which I knew about so I took a break from watching episode 9 (and 10) until this week. While the show didn't really delve into the entirety of the squad, I've really grown to like them with what they showed -- well, reading about their past histories helped out, too. It's a shame that we didn't have time to go into their individual backgrounds. It does make the scenes feel a bit off (i.e. Pham's elder sisteryness, Slywia/Walter scene) but it's effective enough for me.

Even though Lise has done terrible things, she's humanized in a way that I sympathize with her. I feel especially bad for her -- the sacrifices she has made to try to be with Theodor; she exemplifies a tragic heroine. Theodor's rejection of her makes it worse because it's her breaking point -- she struggled for naught. It's hard to blame her. In addition, the loss of Pham in episode 9 made it much harder for me to watch the episode. Pham trying to reason with Lise and it being unfruitful made the episode really emotional for me.

Episode 10 continues the emotional ride in the second half. The inevitable battle between Lise and Theodor seemed to favor Lise until Theodor's trap got the better of the fight. I wonder if Theodor did not intentionally fight her but that may be me overlooking things. The last scene had great use of music and the silence until the gunshot worked really well. Lise's dialogue was beautiful and I teared because of that -- as much as I want her to survive, it's not really an option when she has suffered so much and her worldview has been so cynical. May she have her wishes granted in the Extra-verse.

I had qualms about how I would handle these two episodes but I'm glad I watched them. I thought I'd be more of an emotional mess after but giving Lise the 'peace' she needed warmed me up.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote
That was indeed a powerful scene, Lise has not really been a favourite character, but the way this was done was good.

Unfortunate that they had to do battle in a civilian area, but the Stasi are horrible. I am somewhat expecting the Werewolf battalion to suddenly need the experience of fighting the laser class.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:49 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
It's a shame that we didn't have time to go into their individual backgrounds.

That might have been for the best in some cases. I could see people criticizing some backstories as being too much or a forced attempt at drama. And since there's so much rape involved there'd undoubtedly be accusations of an attempt at titillation.

Novel info for the morbidly curious:

Sylvia: spoiler[One of her best friends and most of her previous squad tried to desert while on the front lines. Sylvia and her other friend tried to stop them but they got gang raped and left for dead. The friend killed herself and Sylvia got revenge on her traitor friend by disabling her TSF and leaving her for BETA chow.]

What the anime showed for Lise was just the tip of the iceberg: spoiler[After being captured she was gang raped repeatedly. It was filmed and Axmann threatened to show the tape to Theodor if she didn't cooperate. During an execution of asylum seekers Axmann made her kill some kids by beating them with a rock (need to conserve ammo, you see).]

Not a happy world to live in.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
Well, I don't know about titillation because that'll be up the animation, but I can see why it'd feel like forced drama. And given how the show has been established, it would feel a bit off (as in now flow with the narrative focus on Theodor/Irisdina). Also, given how they softened Lise scene and how they revealed her as a seductress agent, I didn't quite see that scene as titillating so I have hopes they'd handle Sylvia scene well. I would argue that the Lise scene would build more on the Stasi leaders, though.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't even like Lise that much but that was very sad.
Well done.

Vaisaga wrote:

What the anime showed for Lise was just the tip of the iceberg: spoiler[After being captured she was gang raped repeatedly. It was filmed and Axmann threatened to show the tape to Theodor if she didn't cooperate. During an execution of asylum seekers Axmann made her kill some kids by beating them with a rock (need to conserve ammo, you see).]

Not a happy world to live in.

That's terrible. I'm glad the anime didn't show that. Not that they could show it but they could have stated it and shown shadows and screaming or something horrific like that so...yeah, good for less details.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Damn, now even Gretel is gone too? No one is safe in this show, no one. One more episode left but I'm rather disappointed by the weak characterization on Beatrix. Same with Silva.

Hoping the final episode will at least have some memorable moments.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Finally it's time to fight Beatrix. Awesome. Though I'll agree that Beatrix hasn't gotten enough development, the show has made it pretty clear that Beatrix isn't someone you want to be facing against. She has quite a presence.

So... Ursula just isn't sticking with me. It sounds like an old woman's name. She'll always be Katia to me. Razz
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, hopefully Gretel can just walk off her wounds. She is one of the best characters in the show so it'd be a shame to see her go out like that. Maybe if she had taken Axmann with her...

Beatrix is okay as a threat. We know she's skilled and ruthless so she's definitely some one we want to see taken down.

Oh, and in case you find Beatrix's remarks about nukes strange, that's because in the Muv Luv timeline the US dropped the A-bombs on Germany instead of Japan.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I hope Gretel will be okay, she was just starting to be pretty cool. She has had some good growth in the series, and seeing her lead in a good way was a highlight.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
This episodes hits all the right cliches -- a memorial of Lise via the ribbons, acceptance in a world full of rejection via Katia, and the upgrade for the final fight. There's a lot happening that it feels compressed but I'm able to understand each thing even though they go through it quickly. I like how they still give a little focus to Lise in the beginning; it's respectful towards her character and eases down the heartbreak I had last week. I assume that the reveal of Irisdina's location was what her muted audio line from last week. Good to know she sort of "made amends" with that. I was going to complain about Walter and Sylvia's lack of involvement in the fight against the Stasi but the show didn't disappoint me when they did show up.

Complaints I had would be the usual lack of knowledge regarding Beatrice's character but it did hint at stuff such as her wanting to carry on Irisdina's brother's, Jurgen, ideologies -- but I've kind of forgot what the show revealed about that. I know that Irisidna and Beatrice have a history together -- LN spoiler: spoiler[they used to be good friends in their younger days until Jurgen's death] -- but that hasn't been fully established yet. And given time constraints, I don't see them going too deep into it. That's a complaint I've held back on the last few episodes -- the lack of focus on Irisdina but, to be fair, not much you can focus on when she's being held prisoner. Also, Katia has been pushed a bit into the sidelines because of her importance as a figure.

Good eppie, I liked it, but not as exciting as last week's I guess.

Vaisaga wrote:

Oh, and in case you find Beatrix's remarks about nukes strange.

How did you feel when you read what happened to the Great White North? Laughing
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:07 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
How did you feel when you read what happened to the Great White North? Laughing

Honestly I'm just happy when Canada's existence is acknowledged at all.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale):

RIP. So this show isn't afraid to kill certain characters. But honestly, the entire show/story wasn't very good at storytelling. It just seems like this show is targeted towards an audience who is very familiar with the Muv Luv universe. I thought the amount of characterization is really a mixed bag. I never thought Beatrix, Silva, or even Theodor's sister were well written characters.

Action was alright on most parts.

The finale also felt weird. I mean, the certain confession from Theodor to Irisdina felt like it almost came out of nowhere with little development. I did like the setting and drama flair though with the political side of the story. Still, disappointed overall in this show. Rating it as so-so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10