• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Masamune-kun's Revenge (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Blood...I know going in it's probably about 5 hours of my life I'm not going to get back. I consider it taking one for the team Very Happy
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:38 pm Reply with quote
InfiniteJest wrote:
Thanks Blood...I know going in it's probably about 5 hours of my life I'm not going to get back. I consider it taking one for the team Very Happy

Just got an inspiration for a light novel: "I Made the Tryouts for the Team, but it Turned out to be a Sinister Organization that Wanted me to Watch Season Two of Masakume's Revenge, So I Think I'll Just Hang Out With The Cute Sempai Who Manages a Miniature Golf Course in Another World."

(But hey, if it's a wish for good luck that you're after, I'll toss one out too.)
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, I don't really get the hate. This title is FAR from what I'd call "trash".

Back when I read the manga, I thought this was one of the better harem series around because the writing is pretty tight and there are no characters that made me go "Why are you here; you're useless; you're annoying". There were no situations that made me go "Well, that was in bad taste". There weren't even ones that made me go "man, so boring".

I just binge-watched the first season again so I could watch this new season. I'm still rather shocked this day actually arrived. I thought the announcement last year was an April Fool's joke!!

So how did season 1 age?
Really well, tbh it's still a pretty entertaining series, largely thanks to Masamune's hilarious personality and Hanae Natsuki-san giving his 120% effort into the performance. Though since I just finished Demon Slayer's new season, it's so hard not to hear Tanjirou every time Masamune screams. Laughing

But honestly, I still like all the side characters too. Muriel's design is so cute with her hat and eyepatch and her 'cringe-otaku' personality. Gawd, she even says "de gozaru"...the second-hand embarrassment is real. Laughing

With much of the cast sneaking around, lying, and scheming against one another, it keeps the series quite interesting. Now Gasou's secret has been revealed (if you didn't know it before). I don't remember what happens next but I'll be looking forward to each week's episode for sure.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Well, I don't really get the hate. This title is FAR from what I'd call "trash".

Sorry, didn't mean to pee in anybody's porridge (should have put an emoji in there),

I normally don't post on boards where I don't like the show unless it's the first episode or two. and I won't be hanging around hate posting on this one or anything. I thought Infinite Jest was just making fun of himself and the anime fan tendency to watch stuff even though we don't know why we're watching it - and since I have that quality in spades, I was just trying to play along.

Carry on.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Geez, Edjwald, you're never gonna be popular with the ladies if you pee them off like this all the time...

(hee-hee-hee)
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh I'm not mad or anything; everyone has a right to voice their opinion. Cool

I was a bit surprised at the negativity on this forum...since the ANN memebers who reviewed it like it, is all.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Geez, Edjwald, you're never gonna be popular with the ladies if you pee them off like this all the time...

(hee-hee-hee)

Welp, my experience with this anime was that I didn't like how the female lead was rejecting people, but I thought the idea of acting like you were in love with someone to get them to love you so you could spit on their feelings was even worse. So I didn't like the leads, but I also realized that they were works in progress, and the anime was about the journey, and I almost liked it, so I kept watching for 7 or 8 episodes of season 1, still not really liking them but not really disliking them....close to the process that Jest described.

If I had something about the current show I really wanted to criticize I would, but instead, I felt a little bad because I didn't actually watch episode 1 of season 2. I felt a little like I'd gone into someone else's yard while they were just trying to have a good time and kicked over their sandcastle.

(Some kwik crete will fix that right up.)
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Welp, my experience with this anime was that I didn't like how the female lead was rejecting people

Aki WANTS men to hate her...so she can't fall in love with them and be hurt by them.

I'm not gonna spoiler-tag this because she says it in like....idk before even episode 06 of season 1 I think. lol

But yeah, I get not wanting to follow a MC who wants to get revenge on a girl by breaking her heart. It IS mean of him to do Anime hyper

Quote:
I felt a little like I'd gone into someone else's yard while they were just trying to have a good time and kicked over their sandcastle.

Nah, not really Smile
zfunk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:33 am Reply with quote
The thing that I hate about Masamune and the only thing is the way he treats and talks about his mother. He is mean to her, calls her an old bat, I don't care how he treats everybody else, you can be a jerk to all your classmates, but you treat your mother with respect, she is an angel. She is so nice, one of the few nice people on the show and he is so mean to her for no reason.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:02 am Reply with quote
I realize it’s some sort of supposed to be comedic thing but the chibi mom is really annoying to me.

3 episodes into season 2 and the MC hasn’t changed much. He hasn’t caught on ot can’t think through the most basic of things and even when blatantly confronting counter facts just seems to shrug it off and return to his revenge goal.

For someone who improved them self so totally the character shows no growth or development. This seems like it wants to be a Love is War kinda comedy but the characters aren’t either funny or smart enough to bond with. He works out and she eats and neither changes.

Oh insert a French girl with an eye patch?

CR seems to have stalled on release this last week. Not missing it just want to check it off my completed list and move on at this point.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I am very curious about Yoshino's motives. Part of me thinks her desire to help Masamune with his revenge plot is to actually help the Cruel Princess. Maybe she senses her master needs to forge a bond with somebody and she intuits that, for some reason, she and Masamune would actually be good for one another. I guess we'll see.

This week's episode shows your guesses were very good.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:11 pm Reply with quote
InfiniteJest wrote:
I realize it’s some sort of supposed to be comedic thing but the chibi mom is really annoying to me.

She is a loli mom, actually. Laughing I think it's cute and not annoying at all.

As for Masamune's and Aki's character development....honestly, because of how this story was written, they don't actually need it. The negative aspects of both of their personalities come from a huge misunderstanding to start with. Once that misunderstanding is cleared up, they will become normal-mannered kids. That is only a natural outcome.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:47 am Reply with quote
So, this is my first and last post here. I am now up to date with all the seasonal shows I want to watch, yet I had ignored Masamune thus far (which is usually a clear sign to myself). My memories of the first season were vague, but watching the first episode of the new season brought them all back. I remember that I struggled through the first season disliking almost everyone in it and more than once forcing myself to watch the next episode. Starting season 2 made me realize that it would be the same thing again if I were to keep watching it and thus I have decided to call it quits. I am joining Blood in saying that I just don't care.
zfunk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:32 am Reply with quote
So did just air the last episode or not? It was never made clear if that was the finale, and there are still some special chapters yet to be adapted.

If that was the finale, I am hoping there is an OVA to adapt chapters 50-56.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:13 am Reply with quote
So, was the second season a lot better than the first one?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10