• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is Incest Such A Common Topic In Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

I noticed John said Koi Kaze is a "classic" Holy shit no. I do own the boxset though. Not even jokingly classic.

It actually is a classic. By literally any relevant interpretation of the word. Highly respected, still remembered, critically acclaimed, a work of art. Your opinion on the show doesn't have any bearing on whether or not it is a classic. Classics are something the community decides, not you.
fikshen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:36 am Reply with quote
CrescentWolf wrote:
That was actually fairly interesting, I didn't know about Japan's history with Incest. But I guess it makes sense with the whole Clan Dynasties and bloodlines thing.

A bit scary that it was such a problem that it affects the average Japanese person's DNA even today.

The author stating that "genetics experts say this has introduced all sorts of problems into Japan's DNA" should really include some sources since this is a topic that's a bit difficult to search for online without getting a lot of other results...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Except when it first arrived in theaters, and even then it might not have been the case, Star Wars was always well-liked by the general public and there has never been any shame in openly being a Star Wars fan. Considering the breakout success of TV shows like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, The Big Bang Theory, and Rick and Morty (as well as the growing presence in the US of Doctor Who); and the sheer cultural force in the current Star Trek films and superhero films, the traditional stereotypical nerdy interests are arguably at an all-time high.

Also, this is the first I've heard of movies and TV shows in general being "geeky stuff" anywhere. To my knowledge, watching movies and TV shows is something people just do in general everywhere in the world.

Well, a friend of mine who grew up in Alabama said that Star Wars is for "dorks". And it's considered geeky to be seriously interested in fiction in general. Well, that's the definition of geek: a person seriously interested in some fictional universe or fiction in general.

Its true that it's now "cool" to be a geek in the Anglo-Saxon countries, but only regarding Anglo-Saxon stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Well, a friend of mine who grew up in Alabama said that Star Wars is for "dorks". And it's considered geeky to be seriously interested in fiction in general. Well, that's the definition of geek: a person seriously interested in some fictional universe or fiction in general.

Its true that it's now "cool" to be a geek in the Anglo-Saxon countries, but only regarding Anglo-Saxon stuff.

Any opinion that claims something is "for dorks" should never be taken seriously, since a "dork" can be anyone part of a social group you dislike. The word is also commonly associated with bullies to refer to their victims.

I can say with reasonable confidence that the Star Wars franchise has been mainstream, or at least accepted by the mainstream, worldwide since the mid-80's. I would say it's unusual in your culture if what you say is true and that your country's mainstream has no interest in entertainment that tells a story. Stuff like this isn't simply cool "now." It's been cool for decades, and it's been the norm for centuries to have media be one of the most common conversation starters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9