• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! The Third Plate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
I honestly don't understand why they are rushing through the manga so fast. They could afford to go a little slower like they did in season 1 but whatever.

I'm assuming the staff picked a certain stopping point for the season, which they wouldn't be able to reach in 24 episodes if they slowed down the pace.

They have been doing it since season 2 though. There's really very little excuse for this. I mean at least we are getting 2nd and third seasons but still.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I can't wait to see them expose Azami as the bullying jerk he is.

Who doesn't already know this about him? oO How do you further expose someone who's been dancing naked on the commons from the start?
Thaumana

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:13 am Reply with quote
SkyLETV34 wrote:
Yeah, this was the first time I really felt like things were moving too fast, it was even frustrating. I mean, things happened, they talked, they talked fast, they didn't stop talking, scenario change, things happened, they talked, they talked fast, they didn't stop talking, scenario change again, things happened, they kept talking fast and even the camera didn't stop moving, it was like watching the video at 2x.

Exactly my impression of the recent episodes. Although the manga is often criticized for its slow pace, it can't be denied that they overdid the narration speed of the anime adaption. My friend who didn't read the manga felt that there was no built-up tense/arc of suspense at all during the shokugeki battles and she also noticed that the dialogues feel completly unnatural due to the lack of breaks.

Quote:
They have been doing it since season 2 though. There's really very little excuse for this. I mean at least we are getting 2nd and third seasons but still.

Yup, season 1 and 3 are poles apart. Can't put my finger on it but I dare to say it was also the focus and spent time on several details regarding the ingredints and the cooking process in general which made the first round so fun to watch.
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I know most people expect the team food war to be this season. I don't. I expect that to be the first half of next season. We have 4 episodes left this season. There's not enough time to fit the team food war.

spoiler[It becomes an 8-on-8 team food war. Because there's no restrictions on the number of people who can participate and there's no restrictions on what year they have to be, then our friends are able to recruit additional allies from the upper classes.]
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:56 pm Reply with quote
So you know what's really been bothering me this season? (And so sorry Rebecca as when you notice, it cant be unseen.) Every single shot is a panning or zooming shot. EVERY SINGLE ONE. I think that's why it seems like it's going so fast. We're lucky if there is more than 2 static shots in a whole episode and it gets really irritating.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:12 pm Reply with quote
It made me wince when the pigs tasting Joichiro's dishes were like, <burp> "Yeah, that was great, what's next?" with no real joy or appreciation for what he'd set before them right then. Not only was that insulting, it must've felt like utter failure.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:10 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It made me wince when the pigs tasting Joichiro's dishes were like, <burp> "Yeah, that was great, what's next?" with no real joy or appreciation for what he'd set before them right then. Not only was that insulting, it must've felt like utter failure.

Yeah this coupled with the fact that he was a(n) (immature) kid at the time really sells the experience.
I could totally see someone breaking down from repeated exposure to attitude like that with no one around to openly support him.

That said just disappearing in the wind like that without even telling his friends what he was doing was a riot. Especially his random phone call to Gin.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That doesn't mean that it isn't a disappointment to see so much just tossed aside in the name of cramming the full story arc into too few episodes, though.

As far as I remember nothing's been skipped? They shuffled around events to have the training shokugeki and Joichiro's flashback before Erina's declaration to Azami, but otherwise there wasn't an material skipped or significantly changed. The manga also just opens up with the full Rebel team without directly explaining how each of them got recruited.
LumRanmaYasha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, nothing's been skipped. Mimasaka and Megishima's recruitments are told via flashback later on. I actually would've preferred them to rearrange the material like they did with Joichiro's flashback, because spending more time with Megishima before we see him cook in the team shokugeki would probably make it easier to get invested in him as a character from the start.

I wouldn't worry about them breezing through the whole Team Shokugeki - the arc lasts 58 chapters (from chapter 206 to 263), which is way too many chapters to cram into only three episodes. Instead, it looks like this season will conclude with the end of the first bout of the team shokugeki. This latest episode adapted chapters 206-209, and since the first bout concludes with chapter 217, it stands to reason the next two episodes will also adapt four chapters each to neatly end on that. This is kinda similar to how the first season only adapted through the preliminaries of the Fall Classic, saving the remainder of the arc for the second season. Its far from a satisfying place to leave off since the personal conflicts of the Nene and Jurio matches focus more on developing Isshiki and don't reflect the weight of Soma and Erina's character arcs from earlier in the season, but I'm crossing my fingers we'll get another 12 episode season to close the arc off. The manga is still popular and ongoing, and adapting 47-ish chapters spread over 12 episodes should be very doable.

Julio's actually the eighth seat. Momo became the third seat after Megishima was dismissed.

spoiler[Speaking of Megishima, I really wish the anime was slower paced so they could actually show his match, especially considering his opponent is supposed to be the current fifth seat. I know many manga readers consider this arc too slow-paced (and granted, the Team Shokugeki took over a year to complete), but since the anime is so fast-paced, I wouldn't have minded a bit of filler to expand on a missed opportunity and develop both characters a little more.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Somehow I had gotten the idea that the adults would be a part of the whole thing, so it is a bit surprising that Dojima and Joichiro are no where to be seen as the shoukugeki gets started

That was my impression as well, and I am disappoint.

Plus I was expecting a team match where a team produces one dish, rather than just multiple, simultaneous 1v1 matches. That's only a team event in the broadest sense, and is essentially no different from all the shokugeki we've been watching from the start, except with higher stakes and cumulative scoring. Really, what was even the point of the teamwork exercise on the train if they're not cooking as a team? oO
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:58 am Reply with quote
I haven't read volume 24 yet (it's in my enormous "to read" pile), so I was giving the manga the benefit of the doubt. Still, an adaptation doesn't have to be strictly faithful, so I stand by the idea that it would have been better to go into a bit more depth on gathering the team.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Really, what was even the point of the teamwork exercise on the train if they're not cooking as a team? oO

Right?! Maybe it'll all come down to an actual team thing once most of the groups are eliminated.
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I haven't read volume 24 yet (it's in my enormous "to read" pile), so I was giving the manga the benefit of the doubt. Still, an adaptation doesn't have to be strictly faithful, so I stand by the idea that it would have been better to go into a bit more depth on gathering the team.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Really, what was even the point of the teamwork exercise on the train if they're not cooking as a team? oO

Right?! Maybe it'll all come down to an actual team thing once most of the groups are eliminated.

You'll see the point of it once you get to vol 24 and above. In Jou's case he turned a team shokugeki into a gauntlet match but that wasnt how it should normally go. Nene aside the other guys that Isshiki and Megishima are facing spoiler[are all fodder so dont expect too much]
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:32 pm Reply with quote
So I'm an anime only viewer of Food Wars!, with a plan to read the manga at some point (when I find a second of time...), and this is my first time commenting, as I only just caught up JUST before this season came out.

But I gotta say this... Isshiki is a freaking GOD. I'm not ashamed to say that I love me some hot bishounen and he really did it for me this episode. (spoiler[I even made his samurai pose highlighted by dragons in the background as my computer wallpaper...so yeah.]) I loved his looks, his cooking, his loyalty, and his attitude. He's always been a catch for me, but yeah...this episode was it for me. If only he was cooking in apron only...*swoon*

On a more mature note, I was expecting the WGO to be really biased to Central. spoiler[I was exceptionally happy to see that was not the case.] I can't wait to see what Soma brings to the table soon!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That could be part of Soma's plan, because an angry person is more likely to make mistakes than a calm one

Plan or not, I don't expect Nene to make any "mistakes," per se. This series and many others have pushed the philosophy that your feelings come across in the food you make. A dish made with the genuine desire to make people happy will taste better than one made to make a buck or earn a rep. So I'm thinking her food will taste angry, an attack on the senses rather than an enrichment of the soul (or loins, in this series).
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Juria

Its Jurio (Julio if you westernize it). I think this is the only series you review where you misspell some of the characters' names lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10