• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Unauthorized Manga Translation Site Pulls Shonen Jump, Viz Titles

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Besides in the Japanese version Sanji says Kusou a lot and that could be translated as darn, dang, crud, damn, crap, or shit. In the 4kids version he said crud, viz has him say crap, funi has him say crap in english and damn in the subs, while the fan subs always have him say shit.

In my big book of swears I am sure kuso pretty much means crap/shit. People could say different words in place of crap or shit but I wouldn't call those instances translations.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
The thing is Japan doesn't have 'swears' in the way America does. You have Satoshi from Pocket Monsters saying 'kuso' and 'shimatta' just like Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star or whatever . Same in real life: little Japanese kids will say it just as much as bitter old drunken adults.

So it's really just up to the way the translator wants to do it. 'teme' is just a very informal, disrespectful, and insulting way of addressing someone as 'you' in Japanese, and it's pretty universally agreed in subs and dubs to translate it as "You bastard" or similar to get the meaning across. Kuso is usually treated as "shit" or "crap" and shimatta is usually "Oh shit" or "Dammit!" or any other expression to show that the situation just went south and things are about to get real.

The only time you can get specific swear words is if they're in English. Like how in Soul Eater, Pocket Monsters, and Sonic X you have American stereotype characters going "GOD DAMN SHIT" and other hilariously Engrish swearing.

And while dropping F bombs every other word probably isn't the best way to translate those words, I also find it hilarious when they try to tone it down to something silly like "Gosh Dang you you scoundrel!" I don't think a group of criminal Yakuza or gangsters would say that. I say just basically just go with how you think someone would actually speak.

So when Luffy says "I'm gonna kick his ass" in One Piece dub, eh, sounds natural and fine to me. Same with Zoro going "What the hell is that?" to some huge sea monster attacking their ship.
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Their FMA translation calls Xerxes 'Cselkcess', despite the fact anyone with Google can tell you it's Xerxes given it's Persian origins. I don't even know how to pronounce Cselkcess, to be honest.

Yu-Gi-Oh
and Detective Conan, have name changes and dialog changes up the butt, but those seem deliberate rather than mistakes.

Naruto, well, no matter how much you want to stretch it, Oiroke no Jutsu does not mean "Ninja Centerfold" nor can Shintenshin no Jutsu be translated as "The Art of the Valentine". Which is odd since Viz also does the Naruto anime dub and calls them the much more accurate "Sexy Jutsu" and "Mind Transfer Jutsu" respectively.

Viz didn't change any names in the Yu-gi-oh manga, in fact the whole series was released un edited.

Anyways, I cannot understand why people care about one panel edited (with the original publisher's permission) here and there. It really makes 0 impact on the story. It's not like the original manga is a holy book that cannot be altered in any way.

Now about quality, the image quality of Alpha is way better than any fanscan, fanscans always have to redraw part of the artwork making it look awful. For example, check out spoiler[this panel comparison.] (Naruto spoiler). Notice how the scanned version looks too dark and undetailed compared to Viz's awesome quality? Also, mangastream puts ugly watermarks everywhere on the pages (even though the manga scans aren't their property).
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
baadaku12345 wrote:
Viz didn't change any names in the Yu-gi-oh manga, in fact the whole series was released un edited.

Nope. They only keep the main central cast in Japanese. For everyone else it's 4Kids dub names. "Maximillion Pegasus" instead of "Pegasus J Crawford", "Marik" instead of "Malik", and pretty much all the card names, like "Slifer the Sky Dragon" instead of the original "Saint Dragon - The God of Osiris", "Dark Magician" instead of "Black Magician", and so forth. They even do really low things like making fun of the fact, like when Pegasus summons Dragon Egger (Ryu-Ran in the dub/Viz version) and then Toon World, he says "Now, Ryu-Ran becomes Toon Dragon Eg- I mean, Manga Ryu Ran! (Dub name for Toon Dragon Egger)" which I think at this point Viz is just laughing to themselves how they think they're funny by pooping all over the original at this point. If you're going to use the dub names, Viz, at least don't be an ass about it.

Also once they get to GX/5Ds, they start using the 4Kids names for the main characters as well. Jaden, Syrus, and Alexis, instead of Judai, Shou, and Asuka. Presumably they'll do the same with ZeXal once they get that manga. There's nothing Japanese left in the manga these days.

Quote:
Anyways, I cannot understand why people care about one panel edited (with the original publisher's permission) here and there. It really makes 0 impact on the story. It's not like the original manga is a holy book that cannot be altered in any way.

I don't think it's usually just 'one panel'.

And the whole 'original publisher's permission' is vague and wishy-washy. I mean, if Viz says "Hey, can we edit this up for little kids" and they say "Huh? Oh, uh, whatever" then that's not really much justification; especially if it's the publisher who obviously only cares about it getting into stores to get some royalties from sales. I mean, in most cases, the original publisher probably just thinks "Well, they live in America so they know how manga works there I guess" or they just don't care about the series outside of Japan.

Plus sometimes you have to wonder if they're lying or not. One of the big things about Detective Conan's huge Americanization was that "it was at the request of the original company" Well, the thing is if you look at Conan's licensing in other countries, the names are all the same. Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Vietnamese, Finnish, you get the idea. They're still called Shinichi Kudo, Ran Mouri, Kogoro Mouri, and so forth. Which means either

1.) Funi/Viz lied
2.) Japan just thinks America is the only country dumb enough not to 'get' a manga unless it's heavily Americanized.

Now, I wouldn't count #2 out; it's happened before in the video game scene (Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest), but still, if the original publisher thinks the US is that stupid, then it'd be nice to prove them wrong for once.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I had always just thought kuso could have all those meanings since I have seen it used in some many different instances. I've never really cared how much or how less swears are translated as long as it still gets the point across.

TitanXL wrote:

1.) Funi/Viz lied
2.) Japan just thinks America is the only country dumb enough not to 'get' a manga unless it's heavily Americanized.

Now, I wouldn't count #2 out; it's happened before in the video game scene (Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest), but still, if the original publisher thinks the US is that stupid, then it'd be nice to prove them wrong for once.

As for Case Closed being so Americanized I just thought Funi did that because they knew it would be on adult swim and wanted to try and attract the non anime viewers since it was a crime anime and maybe they thought if non anime fans didn't have to pronounce japanese names and have a show set in japan they would give it a chance.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As for Case Closed being so Americanized I just thought Funi did that because they knew it would be on adult swim and wanted to try and attract the non anime viewers since it was a crime anime and maybe they thought if non anime fans didn't have to pronounce japanese names and have a show set in japan they would give it a chance.

You know what's a good idea? Let anime be anime and let it attract any sort of fan possible because of what it is. Anime almost never survives that sort of over-localization, unless it's something like Pokemon. The kind of people that stay up to watch Adult Swim know full well what anime is and won't let Japanese names hinder their enjoyment of an anime. If we were talking children watching [AS] your point might be relevant instead of being demeaning.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
To me, as long as the story and character's personalities are left alone I am not going to complain about a couple of translation screw ups.

"Purists" really are the most funniest bunch.

Haha, that's the thing though. Viz's translations of Reborn....DO change the character's personalities. A character's personality is determined by what they say in a certain situation. I highly doubt when your friend is dying, you're going to yell, "Holy ham on rye with kraute" which is technically some sort of German sandwich. The main character is trying to make a joke while his friend is dying? ....That's changing his personality to me.

And you need to get off your damn high horse, saying all people who read scanlations are "purists." And you also need to stop assuming that people who read scanlations do not pay a dime to the original creators. 500 manga? Good for you. I have over 2,000. Oh along with the original Japanese versions of Reborn. I read scanlations because I have no clue with my Japanese mangas say. I also read them because I have no idea what Viz's translations say either, because they're so screwed up, they make no sense to me and not just me, alot of people say this.

I ask you this, would you pay for a manga you do not understand? That's with me with Viz's translations. Why should I spend my hard earned money on an inferior product which I do not even understand when it's supposed to be in my own language?

Unless Viz can justify my purchase with decent translations, they won't get a dime from me.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
... (given they practically own the original rights anyway so it's not like we're talking pit of a hundred trails here) ....

In what sense do they "practically own the original rights anyway"? You are saying that the manga-ka for, eg, One Piece and Naruto have such a weak bargaining position when negotiating international digital distribution rights that Viz says jump and they say, "Hai! How High?"

No, Viz is, for all intents, a company that is one part Shueisha and one Part Shogakukan. So with that direct link to both companies, it's not as hard (still hard I imagine but not "Screw the British" hard, they've successfully done this before up to a point (Rin-ne) ) to get the "Digital Streaming" rights to a book.

Just getting the American digital rights and then showing they have the effort to tell illegitimate sites that service non-american customers they they themselves refuse to service (even though they have in the past) to back off and, potentially cut off those potential customers with no attempt to give those customers a viable solution instead shows an incredible poor attempt to make money.

Mean while, I go to yen-press, throw them my PayPal details and suddenly I have acess to Yen Plus. And that's a company that is not, as far as I'm aware, in a direct ownership of any company.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:29 am Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Haha, that's the thing though. Viz's translations of Reborn....DO change the character's personalities. A character's personality is determined by what they say in a certain situation. I highly doubt when your friend is dying, you're going to yell, "Holy ham on rye with kraute" which is technically some sort of German sandwich. The main character is trying to make a joke while his friend is dying? ....That's changing his personality to me.

Annnnd you are still basing one series's translation over the hundreds of other titles that Viz has. Did I not admit that Viz was not perfect for that series? I do believe I did. But, again, that is only one series.

Kazemon15 wrote:
And you need to get off your damn high horse, saying all people who read scanlations are "purists." And you also need to stop assuming that people who read scanlations do not pay a dime to the original creators. 500 manga? Good for you. I have over 2,000. Oh along with the original Japanese versions of Reborn. I read scanlations because I have no clue with my Japanese mangas say. I also read them because I have no idea what Viz's translations say either, because they're so screwed up, they make no sense to me and not just me, alot of people say this.

If you really want to get into this, 500 is what I currently own. I have read thousands upon thousands of manga by Viz, TokyoPop, Yen Press, Dark Horse, etc and spent probably $100k total on manga since I was 10 years old (and I am turning 27 this year). I bought things like those thin comics they used to sell before graphic novels completely took over. I have been a long time supporter of manga so when people read scanlations I can't help but get upset that they are taking "the easy route" in getting their manga fix.

Kazemon15 wrote:
I ask you this, would you pay for a manga you do not understand? That's with me with Viz's translations. Why should I spend my hard earned money on an inferior product which I do not even understand when it's supposed to be in my own language?

Actually, yes! I bought things like the You're Under Arrest! books even though they were translated in Chinese. I didn't care that I couldn't understand it because, at the time, Anime/Manga was so hard for me to get that I was willing to take whatever I could find.

Kazemon15 wrote:
Unless Viz can justify my purchase with decent translations, they won't get a dime from me.

You won't buy any Viz products just because you are upset over one series? Wow. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:11 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

You know what's a good idea? Let anime be anime and let it attract any sort of fan possible because of what it is. Anime almost never survives that sort of over-localization, unless it's something like Pokemon. The kind of people that stay up to watch Adult Swim know full well what anime is and won't let Japanese names hinder their enjoyment of an anime. If we were talking children watching [AS] your point might be relevant instead of being demeaning.

I know and I wasn't trying to imply what Funi did was right. I was just saying I think that is why they did it but I agree with you.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:23 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
You won't buy any Viz products just because you are upset over one series? Wow. Rolling Eyes

That's generally how boycotts work.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:47 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Rukiia wrote:

That's generally how boycotts work.

And I think they are silly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:39 am Reply with quote
In my past experience "boycotts" for manga, almost never include not reading the manga, and simply means "I refuse to buy the manga and instead will pirate it", this "boycott" for some reason also expands to other companies.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
In my past experience "boycotts" for manga, almost never include not reading the manga, and simply means "I refuse to buy the manga and instead will pirate it", this "boycott" for some reason also expands to other companies.

That would be like if the famous boycott of non-union lettuce included telling people to shoplift the lettuce ~ it would have lost a lot of its profile and impact. Its a lot harder to convince people you are serious when the boycott doesn't actually involve a sacrifice on the part of the boycotters.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

That would be like if the famous boycott of non-union lettuce included telling people to shoplift the lettuce ~ it would have lost a lot of its profile and impact. Its a lot harder to convince people you are serious when the boycott doesn't actually involve a sacrifice on the part of the boycotters.

It would be like that if getting the manga by an alternative means were actually part of the boycotting plan rather than it being an immeasurable assumption on your part.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11