• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
The bit I am struggling with is all the team villain characters getting sudden physical powerups to make them a threat to 20% deku again. That feels like a DBZ style escalation of power level that actually means nothing. I prefer when the show has characters learning tactics and flexible quirk use.

Like you, I prefer when characters use tactics and cleverness rather than convenient powerups to handle new and different situations. Unfortunately the vast majority of action/battle anime involving superpowers eventually get to a point of incoherent power creep.

In order to make the threat more intense every arc, characters become arbitrarily more powerful to the point that "power levels" mean nothing and one person is arbitrarily stronger simply because the plot demands it.

I hope that power creep in MHA does not go too far beyond where it is now. It already bothers me that characters like Overhaul can reorganize matter at the molecular level and it barely takes a toll on their body. There should be a balance between how powerful an ability is and how much energy it takes to use, but MHA either ignores or minimizes this balance in a way that makes it seem non-existant.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:05 pm Reply with quote
As an anime-only viewer, I think this reshuffling was for the best. I don’t think the Endeavor family arc was the strongest to end on in terms of season finales, as much as I liked it. That said, there’s sooooooo much for me to mull over in this—the return of the itch, for one. And the maybe implication that the hands of his victims (sans his father’s) were keeping the itch of his guilt at bay, for a variety of reasons AFO may or may not have interpreted correctly (surely the hands of his mother weren’t rebuking him in her last moments?). And the seemingly very deeply repressed denial about how he didn’t seem to want to destroy his sister intentionally, nor his mother, but that he still goes on to tell himself otherwise. And then there’s the final implication (unless I misread this entirely) that Shigaraki was subconsciously repressing his own Quirk even as a child, and it’s not until this point that he’s basically taken the training wheels off and gone full bore, as evidenced by the full transition of his hair to stark white, which is anime’s usual visual shorthand for “this event was super stressful and traumatizing”, but only after he’s fully embraced a total “burn it all down” philosophy in all earnestness—less petulant teenager and much more like what someone trying to, say, emulate the Joker in real life might aspire to.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:30 am Reply with quote
its not about reshuffling the arc. ideally, the endeavor arc should have been saved for the next season, this arc should have ben given more space to breathe, instead of being rushed.

now, in Dreamland, instead of having the filler froppie episode, we could have gotten, before a vs b, one episode dor the young shota/kayama arc, then let that breathe in a vs b, then do the nomu revelation.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:07 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
As an anime-only viewer, I think this reshuffling was for the best. I don’t think the Endeavor family arc was the strongest to end on in terms of season finales, as much as I liked it. .

Yeah, rearranging these arcs was obviously done with the anime's season format in mind. The manga is basically continuous, but the anime would only get so far before taking a year off, and Endeavor's arc would have been an odd spot to leave things in terms of building anticipation. This season was, in large part, the set up for next season, so I can't fault them for not wanting to end on an interesting, but fairly low-key note.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, of course I'll watch the next season, but even if I wasn't enjoying the hell out of it, I'd still watch just to find out what the deal is with Best Jeanist. Confused I'm sure they haven't killed him off unless he was already dying of a fatal disease or something, but the explanation eludes me (I imagine someone must have some duplo powers like Twice on the hero side too), and even Dabi had his doubts. (if you've read the source material, please don't reply to this at all, thanks)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 81 of 81