• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:38 am Reply with quote
Just got my payment notice for Alter's Merry Nightmare figure. Who'd have thought that PVC would be so damn addicting?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:47 am Reply with quote
Ordered Okami-San and Fullmetal Alchemist at Amazon at an inexplicable preorder price. The last time I got a 50% preorder was during an actual sale.

I know I like Okami-san but I'm taking a chance on Fullmetal; Not that I haven't seen it but trying to buy part 2 at a comparable price will be a trick.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:40 am Reply with quote
Picked up NieA_7, Tokyo Godfathers and Millennium Actress, all of which I haven't seen but have wanted to for years and never got around to it.
Botan24

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I more or less knew what I was getting into. I checked all of the other volumes before I ordered what I did. I figured that I have plenty of time (38 to 63 years, by my estimate) to put the rest together, either by waiting until I can leap upon a singular bargain or until I can stomach paying a premium price. Either way, I'm only $8.50 into this as it stands, so I won't cry much if I never complete the set.

Shoulda known that a well-read personage such as yourself would be all up to speed with the other BECK volumes. Best of luck collecting them Smile

Moving on:
Pre-order from TRSI (and taking advantage of the Yen Press sale)

All manga this time:
Alice and the Country of Hearts omnibus volumes 1-3
Black Bird volume 14
Dawn of Arcana volume 4
House of Five Leaves volume 7
supercreep

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
My copy of Wings of Honneamise arrived today, and it is seriously stunning. There is no doubt that this is a premium release.

My Tenchi Universe collection also arrived, and, like what seems to be everyone else here, I jumped on the Patlabor bandwagon and ordered the second and third movies.
Saiki_Thorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Last night, I won something on Ebay. It is not anime but I decided I wanted to share it on here. I won:

Tales of Eternia PS1 Game

I managed to win it in the last 30 seconds. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DubMeister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Purchased Gurren Lagann Part 3 and the limited editions of the Patlabor movies.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
The postman was busy at my place today. I received a collection three prize figures and three DVDs, from two different stores (Actually, the figures were supposed to be delivered Saturday, but my postman's kind of a dick). My prizes were three Nisioisin figures,a Senjougahara, a Hachikuji, and a Togame. Prize figures are often lower quality, but they are cheaper and you find a larger selection of characters. For example, this Togame was the only Katanagatari figure that I've ever seen. There were some imperfections with the girls, but it was acceptable, and I think while the cost was a little high (it was over $200) it was worth it. The Togame is totally bitching.

As for the DVDs, I FINALLY picked up Toradora. Long story, but basically, when Toradora was first released, I didn't have the funds available at the time, and then I wasn't sold on buying the standard edition, then I forgot about it. But when I was thinking about it, I said, you know, Toradora is something that you would watch repeatably, not just a collection piece, so buy it already. So I did. It was kind of shameful that I didn't have it already. The other DVD I grabbed for a cool $8, one Sailor Victory. I could write a dissertation on Sailor Victory. Not that Sailor Victory is that good, mind you, but there is a lot of history behind it, and there are a lot of themes present in it that you don't see elsewhere. It paints a particularly interesting take on sexism. Now, the DVD was still factory sealed, and so it was probably been sitting in a dank, dark corner of Rob's store for the last eleven years, and it took me a good fifteen minutes to open it. Media Blasters put three fricken protection seals on the damn case, and in the preceding decade they fused the outside plastic. Seriously, MB, who the hell was going to steal goddamn Sailor Victory anyway? Nobody even bothered to watch it. (Seriously, there are only 51 user ratings!) Now, comes the troubling part, since all my shelf space is filled. Going to have to make a new one.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Somebody please come over to my house and beat the shit out of me for being so good with money:
Katanagatari BD/DVD Premium Edition Set 1
Utena LE Dvd Boxset 2
Patlabor Limited Edition Movies bundle
Rurouni Kenshin Trust & Betrayal Bluray
Rurouni Kenshin Reflection Bluray
Rurouni Kenshiin The Movie Bluray

There goes my anime budget for the next 3-4 months Rolling Eyes . On the Patlabor Movies, holy crap did they disappear once WTK posted in the retail forum about them getting counters! Hopefully I can get mine: I added one to my cart with 10 remaining, by the time I checked out this had changed to "Sold Out Please check back" Anime cry
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:33 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
...Sailor Victory... Nobody even bothered to watch it.

I watched it Smile It came out during a time when I would buy most anything I saw, and since I was on a huge Sailor Moon kick at the time, I figured "hey, it's got a group of girls in sailor suits, must be similar!" Oh the follies of youth (if 23 or so is considered youth). Anyways, I own it, and am in no big rush to ever watch it again.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:12 am Reply with quote
I just picked up a used copy Sailor Victory but haven't watched it yet. I assume it's not very good, but these days I'm pretty much buying any OVA that I can get at a reasonable price irrespective of quality. In fact, the cheesier, the better.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:57 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
these days I'm pretty much buying any OVA that I can get at a reasonable price irrespective of quality. In fact, the cheesier, the better.
I know the urge.
Something I'm desperate to get my hands on at the moment is Marriage. I just know it will rock, as the kids say. (Or said?)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
Marriage is on my list too (uh, the OVA, not the real thing). The only reason I haven't ordered it yet is I'm waiting for a Media Blasters sale at TRSI so I can get a bunch of stuff more cheaply at the same time.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
What have been your best good/bad OVA experiences, if I might ask? Any real discoveries that may not be well known?
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Just came today from TRSI:

Patlabor Limited Edition Movies bundle
Loup-Garous novel

Wow, the Patlabor movies are nice and heavy in their boxes. I haven't even taken off the plastic and I'm already feeling spoiled.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 851 of 1401