• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk (TV 1997).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Skull Knight

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:22 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately for me most of the "forms" I am seeing on the internet of slave/master morality are not true to what I remember reading of them in more accurate and direct from translation representations of it that are in books. (if I can find some of the books that do it better justice, no pun intended, i will post them)

Keep in mind I am saying he embodies slave morality due to the overpowering resentment to the false authority, and also keep in mind if the whole work is simply a critique of the philosophy and its negative effects, then the false authority is really just an absurdity that needs to be demolished.

Some notes about slave morality I remember:
-They are lovers of the secret path
-Men of long memory (this is associated with the resentment)
-A race of such men will invariably be cleverer then the master

What is ironic about this is that void is essentially just that, he is a lover of the secret path, which is the path/flow of causality, and the big brain is probably symbolic of long memory.

Griffiths is the master morality tainted by the false authorities empowerment of him. remember the entire god hand could simply be an allegory for mass media which are the people who can empower anyone of their choosing.

The very act of watching television is essentially a draw on the allegory to the cave, there are shadows on the wall, that people who don't know any better, think are reality
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave

The funny thing about that last reference is the following: Nietzsche (correct me if I am wrong) once stated, "without a women, I have nothing but a cave"

If anyone studies master morality and thinks objectively about what it actually represents by itself, it is essentially being dumb.

I believe that slave/master morality is an artificial distinction that promotes black and white thinking about somethings to which there is much gray area.

My opinion, but whatever.
The Skull Knight

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I would like to point out to those, who didn't notice an american movie counterpart to exploring a character who exhibits the slave morality in his quest, to a T, simply watch this movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxi_Driver

This movie, exhibits a protagonist who is driven by such a mold as slave morality, the question of right and wrong in the film remains ambiguous and the character is thus considered something of a tragic hero, or anti hero.

I have seen that that movie has struck a deep chord in lonely men in America, if you don't believe me. buy and watch the special features on the special edition dvd for a look into the kinds of interactions the writer/makers of the movie has had over it.

Why that movie did not win Martin Scorsese the Oscar is a mystery to me.

Back to Berserk's character Gatsu, I believe he fits the mold, at first, more for this type of character:
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byronic_hero )
At first, then becomes tainted by the eclipse into something more tragic.
EndlessEmpty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Um..I think I love Berserk. I mean, I'm doing a fanficy thing with it. I have to at least like it.
I personally see it as a classical tragedy, what with all the violent exploitation and what not. I MIGHT buy your theory, if Berserk had any kind of ending, to give your theory closure, and truly make everything all cyclical.
Overall, I enjoy the idea, but I seriously doubt it's what Miura intended. But since when has that mattered?
The Skull Knight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Well I guess seeing is believing...

Watch the intro to the latest movie arc and think about the following

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_Forms

There seems to be a visual effect that is hinting at that...

The intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhEzb-FCFnk

Can someone please find out what the lyrics for the song mean?
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
The word are made up, they mean nothing. Susumu Hirasawa has done this before, he tries expresses meaning through tonality of words. There is nothing lost in translation here.
The Skull Knight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
thanks bro,
Not only are you wrong, you tried to invalidate all that I said by insinuating that this work is meaningless.
I guess it is my fault, being cryptic is most likely the reason for invented/hidden languages in a theme song.

Please don't post in this thread anymore unless you can interpret meaning in art, which, regardless of accuracy to the true intent of the work, may be the highest compliment you can pay the artists themselves.

I would appreciate an intelligent conversation about this please.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:55 am Reply with quote
The Skull Knight wrote:
I would appreciate an intelligent conversation about this please.

And I would appreciate if you stop borderlining on being a dick to people who post comments that don't fit your expectations or beliefs.

You reprimand a guy who didn't even post in this thread for "purposely bumping it off the first page" (by bumping the thread yourself), then insult another guy for not being able to interpret as "deeply" into things as you have.

You're free to perceive as many "hidden meanings" in the franchise as you want. But general rudeness and snide retorts aren't gonna' help your cause. So, please, cool it down.
The Skull Knight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote
my apologies
I didn't know I wasn't allowed to defend myself from slights to my topic.

next time I will just post this:

ok?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
"Slights?" You haven't even been a part of this community for 2 whole weeks, yet. If that much disagreement/misinterpretation gets to you, I'd recommend avoiding the Talkback forum at all costs. These comments are absolute courtesies compared to other topics people haven't seen eye to eye on.
The Skull Knight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
You are correct, forgive the antagonistic behavior, I am upset with how little discussion this thread has generated.

I will tone it down, I'm sorry.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
What discussion do you want though? I'm quite sure that most people here have not read Nietzsche or at least have not read him analytically like philosophy scholars do. I doubt people will read/reread Genealogy of Morals just to have a conversation with you.

Besides if you want your interpretation to be seen as something more than a flight of imagination, you'll have to be more systematic about it and elaborate on your arguments. Causality and determinism refute will to power? How? Do you think you know what Nietzsche actually meant with it? How is God Hand an allegory for mass media and its impact when almost no one even know that they exist? Where does modern mass media come in when we're talking about Nietzsche? The size of Guts' sword? We're looking at Japanese popular media at the end of 80s, I'm pretty sure it is about dicks. Especially considering with how much love Miura illustrates Guts swinging it.

What is also abundantly clear that your interpretation has been influenced by a very negative interpretation of Nietzsche's philosophy and it seems to me you're just as eager to preach about that as you are to talk about Berserk. What I suggest to you is to go to http://forums.philosophyforums.com. There are a number of people who watch anime and enough who can quickly pull up a citation from Nietzsche. There are a lot of Nietzsche admirers there so be ready for that.
The Skull Knight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I love this....
Talk about resentment, I say i'll be nice and the one person fuming takes it as weakness and pounces on me.

First of all how can anyone say that was not systematic, concise, and independent statements that lend to your initial argument.

Will to power is the life essence that allows for self overcoming, determinism means you have no control over anything even your own will

The mass media has a face, but do you know who writes the teleprompters and arranges the stories?

The sword is symbolic of something which can help struggle against the god hand and causality, since when does a penis help you with that?

I Think I will stay here, thanks

You know what, I have a ball.... perhaps you'd like to bounce it?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
The Skull Knight wrote:
I love this....
Talk about resentment, I say i'll be nice and the one person fuming takes it as weakness and pounces on me.

Now you're just being paranoid. Nobody is "pouncing" on you and it certainly has nothing to do with you saying you'll be nice. jl07045 is simply explaining in response to your dismay why this thread hasn't generated much actual discussion. Simply put, you can't expect everyone or perhaps even anyone on a forum this size to have the kind of detailed, analytical understanding of Nietzsche necessary for such a discussion. It doesn't help too that your points are very brief. That doesn't make them wrong but it means there isn't much to really discuss even for someone who knows Nietzsche. Sorry if you wanted to talk about this but this is the reality of why that isn't happening.
The Skull Knight

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
While I appreciate your insight into why this thread isn't going anywhere, to call me paranoid is not wise here
That guy's first response was clearly a personal attack, and it didn't help that I destroyed their attempt at being a higher mind on this subject
They started it, and I was polite

The end
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10