• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Just switching gears here for a second - I always assumed that, at some point, I would probably watch (and even own) UBW the movie, to be completist if for no other reason. I wonder if watching UBW the TV series will make that utterly superfluous. I wonder if it would be like watching a compilation of events that was handled much better in this show. I'll be asking this question of those who have seen both after this show is over.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It's been a while since I've seen F/SN as well, but in my memory, there seemed to be quite a bit of Shirou's irritating interference with Saber. Even if the topic wasn't specifically discussed by the characters themselves, I often got the feeling that Shirou's attitude was predicated on him spoiler[being a male and Saber being a female and despite their titanic difference in power and ability, she shouldn't be fighting. It would be hard to imagine him having the same attitude if his Servant had been male.]

Oh, I've had this reaction on each of the times I've watched the original series through (both before and after seeing F/Z). Yes, some of it was definitely that spoiler[Shirou was in love with Saber and wanted to protect her and that he saw himself taking up Kiritsugu's (misguided) efforts to be a hero at all costs], but that didn't change the underlying somewhat sexist impression that Shirou gave at times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
But where did that impression come from? I could imagine that from someone that reads the novel, there he sometimes remarks to himself about some girl not acting in a feminine fashion and I can imagine people finding it irritating enough to color their opinion about Shirou, but I don't remember him doing that in the show. The impression I got was of a naive doofus who thinks he knows everything better.

It's not that I want to argue against such an impression, but I am a bit perplexed, because that view of sexist Shirou I see often enough.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, work interrupted me before I got to what I wanted to say, namely: I think Shirou feels the way he does towards *everyone*, not just women. Only in the case of women, the underlining issue is made worse. So while I wouldn't say he isn't being sexist, I think he'd still demonstrate the same actions regardless of the sex of those involved. He'd just have a harder time justifying them.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I've never had a problem with Shiro. I actually do like him quite a bit. Sure some of his beliefs can be a bit old fashioned, especially when it comes to girls, but there's nothing demeaning in his intentions. He does always put the welfare of others above his own, and in the Fate route his concern for Saber came from not wanting to see her hurt like she was after her fight against Berserker. Even if some one is more powerful than you, if you're concerned about them you're going to want to protect them.

As has been noted, him growing out of this is his character arc in Fate and Heaven's Feel. A downside of UBW is spoiler[his beliefs only get reinforced and he becomes even more determined to be a hero.]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
The general consensus for Shirou's mental stance in the 3 arcs is normally:

Fate: spoiler[Remain idealistic, continues to strive towards being a hero.]
UBW: spoiler[Seeing Archer's fate tempers his aim of becoming a hero with the knowledge of the price to be paid once his goal is achieved. Less idealistic.]
Heaven's Feel: spoiler[Gives up the aim entirely in favour of spending his life with Sakura. Protecting one rather than saving everyone as Kiritsugu tried.]

Analogies have been made with the progression of mindsets from child to old age, idealism replaced by conservatism and realism.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
If that's true it's a bit ironic, because spoiler[in Heaven's Feel he pays the heaviest price for his actions].
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
The general consensus for Shirou's mental stance in the 3 arcs is normally:

Fate: spoiler[Remain idealistic, continues to strive towards being a hero.]
UBW: spoiler[Seeing Archer's fate tempers his aim of becoming a hero with the knowledge of the price to be paid once his goal is achieved. Less idealistic.]
Heaven's Feel: spoiler[Gives up the aim entirely in favour of spending his life with Sakura. Protecting one rather than saving everyone as Kiritsugu tried.]

Analogies have been made with the progression of mindsets from child to old age, idealism replaced by conservatism and realism.

Is that really the consensus? Because what you say for Fate and UBW is a bit inaccurate.

Fate: spoiler[He mellows out a bit and learns to rely on Saber rather than take on everything himself.]
UBW: spoiler[Becomes even more determined to become a hero, Archer's future reassuring him that he will become one and he won't regret it. But in this case Rin is determined to hang around and make sure he doesn't go too far off the deep end.]

jl07045 wrote:
If that's true it's a bit ironic, because spoiler[in Heaven's Feel he pays the heaviest price for his actions].

And as such spoiler[achieves the bestest end.]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Not the way I see it. Apparently not the way many of the Japanese players see it either. If you look down on wikipedia entries, then there's plenty to poke holes at but I'll list down my source nonetheless.

Fate: セイバーと士郎がお互いを理解し尊重するようになっていく過程で、自らの折れかけた「思い」を相手の生き方の中に再確認し合い、最後にはその思いを貫くためにそれぞれの道を選ぶ、というもの。

UBW: これから士郎が歩むことになる険しい道と、それを突きつけられてなお揺るがぬ彼の決意を描く。(Unwavering determination, but idealism is tempered by knowledge of what's in store. I can't see how this route is the most idealistic of the three.)

Heaven's Feel: 士郎の人格が抱える歪みを解決し、彼が救われるための在り方の一つを提示する意味も含まれている。(This last one is a bit different, but I remember the dialogue in the last part of Heaven's Feel and I base my conclusion on that. Here giving up idealism for a path in life which saves him from complete mental collapse (notwithstanding what happens to him at the end of the story))

If the editors have a problem with Japanese text, I can hide the relevant parts in spoiler tags.

Source for the copy and paste: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fate/stay_night
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:
Great episode overall. It may have been info dump but it made its point quiet well thanks to spoiler[Kirei and his explanations. Well, it looks like Shirou made up his mind as well by accepting Saber as his servant.]

Next week should be interesting with spoiler[Berserker. I'm excited to see how ufotable will anime this fight.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Aww. I'm gonna miss those 47 min episodes. Anime cry

After seeing Fate/Zero, its pretty hard for me to be surprised about spoiler[Saber's relationship with Kotomine although I wonder why she doesn't just tell Shirou that she was Emiya's Servant from the last War.]

I can't help be conflicted on how this episode dealt with newcomers.

On one hand, I already know about the Holy Grail War and spoiler[the fourth one] so everything spoiler[Kotomine] or Rin says is nothing new and is totally boring.

On the other, if no one has seen anything beyond Episode 0 (which did a better job visually explaining how Servant/Master relationship works and how the War affects innocent bystanders) then, its fine to explain the fine details but, not in such a boring way. I just find info dumps useful but not entertaining.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
How come this episode is only ~24 minutes?
Thought every episode would be as long as the previous one.
Shirou getting a lesson about his new situation.
It was nice to be reminded of how things work.
The whole episode was basically a lesson about Holy Grail War.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Visitors are coming. I need to make sure the outer aisles are clear so I can deliver my ultimate move, learned from my teacher and my father.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Visitors are coming. I need to make sure the outer aisles are clear so I can deliver my ultimate move, learned from my teacher and my father.

The funniest part is I can't tell if ufotable was making a nod to that scene or they indeed think this makes watching an infodump better.

I think the problem is not the infodump, but the fact that there's very little material for those who already know the rules of HGW, which is most people who are watching this. There's some important character interaction and Rin's butt, but other than that the episode mostly felt redundant.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
For those wondering about the length of the latest episode, it was only episode 0 (Rin's prologue) and episode 1 that were 47 minutes. The remainder of this season will all be normal 24 episodes.

Maybe there's a chance that the 2 cour's first episode might be 40+ though but no one knows that yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 38