• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Aesthetically Daring Tournament: COMPLETE!!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:08 am Reply with quote
For me this vote simply comes down to which one do I remember more when I think about this tournament and Mononoke wins this so Mononoke gets the vote I think at this point there is not much more that can be said about what each show brings to the table and they are both unique in their own ways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
As an announcement, I'll end the tournament on monday.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:07 am Reply with quote
My vote goes to Mononoke.

I am so happy to see this one go such a long way, and it definitely deserves to win.
I think in terms of the aesthetics, it is both beautiful and daring. Tatami Galaxy is interesting, fun to watch and original, my preference though lies with Mononoke that is a bit less chaotic in its art. The characters are usually plain, and the backgrounds go from quite minimalistic to textures galore. I posted this picture before in one of previous rounds, but this is essentially why I am voting for Mononoke, for details lie this that no one else has come up with.

Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:11 am Reply with quote
Tough calls, tough calls. It really feels like these two have strong and unique identities, with Tatami feeling looser and more surreal in certain ways, and Mononoke more crisp and striking. Someday I may watch these regardless of what kind of story they are.

I think at the end of the day, I'm going to go with the thing that seems more outwardly surreal. A lot of what's going on visually also seems to be representative of the emotions the characters are feeling, which when done right makes a pretty big and impactful spectacle. Like I said, though it's tough to compare these things, arguments for one don't really seem to distinguish it or make it seem better than the other.

My gut votes for The Tatami Galaxy
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Both are worthy finalists but I'm going to finally make a vote and go for The Tatami Galaxy because, throughout his short career Masaaki Yuasa has consistently shown himself as the most visually daring of anime directors. So this is also a vote for Mind Game, Kemonozume, Kaiba, Happy Machine, Kick-Heart and Ping Pong.

No one else has been as reliably daring as Yuasa.

Mononoke is a visual treat but it doesn't risk alienating its viewers, unless they are unreconstructed moe freaks, the way Yuasa's creations constantly do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:06 am Reply with quote
Again apologies for the delays, it's been a hell of a week. Let's get to it.

My vote won't swing the results, but I'm going to give it to Tatami Galaxy My main reason is that it more eschews detail and pattern to focus on form, and to me that's a little more abstract and out there. I should watch this some day, shouldn't I?

Anyway, this final round was close! Mononoke wins 4-3!

So here we are: at the end of the road.

The complete bracket

You know, I really did enjoy doing this and talking about these shows. It's been fun to see what people have to say about things visually, since I find that that's an area that's often overlooked in anime discussion. Now I feel that I have a bit more of a handle on what different kinds of things people are looking for visually, and that's interesting.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:02 am Reply with quote
I like tournaments, I always get to read and see more about shows that I have either not heard of or heard not much and pick up a few titles along the way, and this will be no exception.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:14 am Reply with quote
I'm in the same boat as you unicorn - I had not heard of a lot of these titles and since this tournament started I've picked up a few and have a larger list of series I want to watch/own. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Something's like Most Evil Organisations (which randomly popped into my head) could be fun?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I should have participated in it. Well, I haven't watched most of the titles nominated but I personally disliked the visual style of both The Tatami Galaxy and Mononoke, both shows are extremely distinct from conventional anime visual styles and hence very daring this deserving to win the tournament but while it's daring I did not find it pleasing. For instance, I found pleasing the style of Lain or Madoka, which are in a way more conventional (both shows character designs are clearly in the manga style).

Too bad to see my nomination go down the tubes so easily as well. While not the most daring ever it's very creative in it's use of visuals.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Both are worthy finalists but I'm going to finally make a vote and go for The Tatami Galaxy because, throughout his short career Masaaki Yuasa has consistently shown himself as the most visually daring of anime directors. So this is also a vote for Mind Game, Kemonozume, Kaiba, Happy Machine, Kick-Heart and Ping Pong.

He directed Ping Pong? Great, that's my favorite of his titles, in fact, best anime I watched this year so far (I haven't updated my list here for a long time now). It's not as aesthetically aggressive as Tatami Galaxy but it's more elegant in a way.
Goku921

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Nice topic, i like xD
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:29 am Reply with quote
Both finalists were noitaminA shows.

Figures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10