• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Aldnoah.Zero

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
@JesuOtaku -
Ughhhh, I could totally see them doing that. Now I'm pretty sure they will, especially because the writing has been so messy. Damn. Though I still think spoiler[Slaine's father may have instilled it in him.]

Last edited by RestLessone on Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
TropicaliaSoup

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
a lot of what JesuOtaku wrote makes sense but now I'm wondering what role the actual ruler of VERS has. Is he just old and senile? Or maybe Aldnoah moves through the generations in a weird way, so he doesn't really know what the princess is capable of.

I don't think I care enough to watch next season. I really wish the story were more cohesive. Aldnoah seemed to succeed at shocking and entertaining but if they were trying to make a point it's not clear at all. I really love great characterization in shows, so this was the biggest disappointment for me with Aldnoah. Especially in retrospect the characters come across as primarily plot devices.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
But hang on, spoiler[if Aldnoah makes you literally immortal then how did all of the Orbital Knights, who have Aldnoah, get killed in battle? And why would the emperor ever believe she was dead, if he knows full well she can't be killed? For that matter, why would Saazbaum's entire call to arms be "the princess is dead" when surely at least some people on Mars would be aware that that's impossible? Hell, why wouldn't the princess herself ever mention this?]

In order:

1) Because spoiler[probably only the princess has this "true power of Aldnoah," I don't think it's the same as everyone else's. Fair enough, she's the princess. We haven't seen her making out with the Orbital Knights, so they don't have her magic protection.]

2) spoiler[Who says he did? He didn't seem to care, actually. He had conflicting information saying she was and wasn't dead on multiple occasions. This also collates with Inaho's speech about how "hatred and vengeance" or whatever isn't the real cause for war, that it's motivated by deeper and darker places of inequality, lust for power, etc. The princess' assassination matters so little that the reason for it was probably different from the reason we've been assuming. (They wanted her to "seem dead" so they could kidnap her more easily, not because it would whip the martians into a fervor: they were already poised to attack for the most part, with the rare exception of loyalists like Cruhteo, who's dead now I guess.]

3) To potentially motivate the people not in the know, aka most of the population probably, definitely Cruhteo at least. Again, this ties in with Inaho's speech about "the real reason wars are fought." (Which I think is contradictory in the show itself and honestly just bologna, but that's what they're going for.)

4) I'm pretty sure if you were spoiler[immortal and could transfer immortality], you wouldn't want anybody to know that at all. You'd become an instant target of both sides, seen as a monster, just any number of bad things.

That's best I can tell. Again, still just a theory. A veeeeery likely theory. :'D
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, I for one would be delighted if the theory proves true. I like both the Princess and Inaho. That Slaine is a douche, though. Him the show should feel free to kill.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
TropicaliaSoup wrote:

I don't think I care enough to watch next season. I really wish the story were more cohesive. Aldnoah seemed to succeed at shocking and entertaining but if they were trying to make a point it's not clear at all. I really love great characterization in shows, so this was the biggest disappointment for me with Aldnoah. Especially in retrospect the characters come across as primarily plot devices.

That's basically my reaction to Hope's theory. It's an interesting read and it appears to be plausible enough to be true, on paper, but doesn't change my already diminishing interest in continuing to watch this series.

The persistent characterization flaws and other issues in Aldnoah Zero trump any real or perceived cleverness derived from that twist when the narrative is examined in full.

I'd prefer a nonsensical turn involving characters that I can appreciate as individuals or otherwise find to be interesting subjects of study on a thematic or conceptual level, instead of a more mechanically logical (although still inherently silly when you stop to think about spoiler[ kisses transmitting immortality]) shift involving characters that I either dislike (Inaho, Slaine as of late) or find to be consistently underdeveloped so far (the rest of the crew).

There's always a chance they could suddenly take this ship into a better port after resuming its journey, but I am rather hesitant to get back on board.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
If JO's proposed twist were to see the light spoiler[we would have to assume that the immortality is just super sophisticated nano machines (any sufficiently advanced tech is indistinguishable from magic).

Regardless of what the series pulls in the next season, reviving a (very, VERY dull) character like he is Jesus would be one of the most disgusting developments for years to come.
]

Regardless, I am seeing at least a ~3year time skip and the introduction spoiler[of the return/revenge of the ancient martian race as the only means to stop Martians and Terrans killing one another]

Last edited by FenixFiesta on Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

The persistent characterization flaws and other issues in Aldnoah Zero trump any real or perceived cleverness derived from that twist when the narrative is examined in full.

Oh, I should clarify! Just because I described the twist in detail doesn't mean I think it's a good one. I think the show is morbidly incompetently written, the characters are terrible flat plot devices, and the twist itself is one I've seen done many times in sci fi, and it's dumb.

I'm not saying "hey it's getting good because of this twist!" I was just saying "LOOK HOW DUMB THIS TWIST IS." Reactions may vary, some people may think it's clever, but I'm with you on this one: Aldnoah.Zero sucks, and if this is really what they're building to, I just think it's really funny. People were comparing it to Valvrave based on that, but at least Valvrave was outlandishly silly. (Never finished it. Stopped when I heard about the upcoming spoiler[rape in episode 10.])

Anyway. I'm not looking "forward" to it returning in Winter, but I am curious just how bonkers they're going to go with it if that's seriously the twist and a little twitter hob-nobbing was able to uncover it only 24 hours after the episode aired. Ouch.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Off topic, but a lot of people don't like Inaho. I agree he's kind of a boring protagonist (if he actually is the protagonist, which I'm not really convinced of), but my interpretation of him is that he's a product of the culture on Earth- they started training teenagers for war after Heaven's Fall, and in Inaho they got exactly what they wanted: someone who is extremely capable at fighting but more or less non-functional in every other regard. He's basically a living weapon.

If Inaho is supposed to be a "trained living weapon" wouldn't it come to reason that there would be MORE child soldiers like him?

It doesn't have to be every single one of his classmates, but wouldn't there at least be a few candidates of such a program already serving in the military.

Last edited by FenixFiesta on Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
@ JesuOtaku

I love the wmg there. Very Happy It may very well turn out to be what they do. But my own theory (repeated from the general discussion) is that Slaine is spoiler[already a member of the royal house (maybe with one Terran parent? or maybe that's just a fiction) who has had his existence covered up and his memory wiped to protect him from assassins (when he was launched like Kal-el in that rocket that the Princess found). I also think he's now regained his memories, since they went out of their way to avoid showing us his eyes after he shot at the Count. I predict pupils in those princess-blues by January.]

It would explain why the Princess was so happy to see him alive, for one thing. But your theory also adds to that, in that if not outright spoiler[immortality, her Girlfriend X spit may offer healing.] Doesn't help Inaho though, unless the effects last for awhile. Smile Actually, it wouldn't surprise me too much if the spoiler[bullet just grazed his cheek, buckets of blood] notwithstanding. Wink

If it's not spoiler[spit], it's that Aldnoah has spoiler[a Jesus setting]. That would also not surprise me. Nothing they could do would surprise me at this point, since the plot obviously is not required to make sense.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
If this twist that Hope described actually does come to pass, I will downgrade my rating of aldnoah.zero from C+ to D-, but only if it is executed with the same level of good animation and action. If not, the rating will drop to F.

spoiler[Killing off Inaho] was probably the best thing this show could have possibly done. Maybe it will give them some chance to actually write a story next time, rather than just show a series of scenes where Inaho pulls off great feat after great feat, and everyone else in the show only functions to provide wild and crazy plot twists and shocking spectacles. I still ask the same question. After 12 episodes of aldnoah zero, what have we accomplished? How has the "plot" been developed in any meaningful fashion? Is there some movement in the overarching story? Is there even an overarching story? There is simply no substance to aldnoah.zero. I've been saying it since the first episode where they went out of their way to blow up New Orleans with absolutely no humanizing component, and then cut to Japanese high school kid Inaho being the most badass and intelligent kid on the planet. It would be nice if they could actually tell a human story next time about the people living under siege on Earth, or maybe even a Vers story about people on Mars suffering or something. spoiler[As long as Inaho is alive], that will never happen.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Seeing how this show is written by Urobutcher...... the theories provided seem a bit "far-fetched." After watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kamen Rider Gaim, I'm pretty sure Urobutchi writes very good shows. I guess everyone got difference in taste in anime so..... But about the theories of how spoiler[Slaine and Inaho are immortal because of the princess's kiss, I don't see how that would be a valid reason. If you said Sazzbamm knows that Slaine would have been immortal because whoever get a kiss from the princess would turn out to be so. Then wouldn't the people on VERS have been fighting against each others all this time to get a kiss from the princess so that they can become immortal instead of you know, kill her so that they can have a war?]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Animelover12313 wrote:
Seeing how this show is written by Urobutcher...... the theories provided seem a bit "far-fetched." After watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kamen Rider Gaim, I'm pretty sure Urobutchi writes very good shows.

I'm like a ridiculous uber-fan of the Urobutcher and he did not write this show. ^^; He wrote the first three episodes! And according to him in interviews, he came up with the basic world and tech and conflict of the story, but the story and character development was the head showrunner Katsuhiko Takayama, who is really the brains and voice behind the project, not Urobuchi. He wrote episodes 4-12. This is according to the show's credits, of course, but even past that, I don't understand why people are attributing Aldnoah.Zero to Boochi, because it's not in his voice at all. He has a very strong voice as a writer, and it's not present in most of this show.

Last edited by JacobC on Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Animelover12313 wrote:
Seeing how this show is written by Urobutcher[/spoiler]

The first 3 episodes were written by Urobuchi. Pretty sure he has no input beyond that.
Twilightmaster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:15 am Reply with quote
I have to say the outstanding hatred for both Inaho and the story by large feels mostly like the popular kids hype train to me. The writing really isn't any worse than the standard mecha show, and sure Inaho is incredibly emotionless, but when you consider all the whiny-ass indecisive main characters, or the reluctant heroes, or any of the other cliche character tropes, anything is a breath of fresh air if it's different for a change.

I tend to try to be critically objective since I do a lot of creative writing myself, and this show being no exception I feel like most people here are hating it merely because it's the popular thing to do.
lipitwa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:56 am Reply with quote
*CRAZY THEORIES*

No one really bothers to question why the kissing scenes with the martian princess to both Slaine and Inaho are constantly reiterated by flashbacks (prev. episodes feature more of slaines kissing scene flashbacks as a child with sylum), and lastly the final scene before spoiler[INAHO gets shot] (flashback shower kissing scene)…

This could very well mean something IMHO, as one of the blood descendants that can activate an aldnoah, remember it was never really shown/discuss in detail how the emperor bestows to the chosen Versian elite the right/privilege to use the aldnoah energy. This can very well be a kiss or other biological contact made with an ordinary versian with the emperor/emperors kin etc… with these also mean that the privileged to activate aldnoah by the chosen versian nobles can be passed of to their offspring as well?

begs to question….. and what other effects does the aldnoah power have to ordinary Terran if ever granted access/privilege e.g. (regeneration,healing etc. )?????

since so much questions are yet to be answered regarding Slaines father and his work on aldnoah research… he might have discovered how the emperor can/delver aldnoah or infact discovers the true secret of aldnoah’s energy activation etc… which is may be in a form of a biological key..(virus,bacteria etc) anything that is genetically passable…. e.g. emperors bloodline

IF indeed the use/activation of aldnoah energy’s right/privilege is biologically passable to offspring then

*THEORIES*

On Saazbaum fiancee

Probably she never died, she could have suffered head trauma gets amnesia forgets everything etc…. then is a test subject for the tehrans in copying the martian Kataphrakt tech, somewhere along the way falls in love with a teran scientist/military or whoever (father of inaho and yuki) then boom has a family.

Versian BLOODLINE

INAHO and Yuki’s mother could ideally be the then woman which supposedly died in Heaven’s Fall and on that island. ( if she really died then why is her Kataphrakt still intact after the explosion years later, which would mean her body would have been safe/recovered if the Kataphrakt was still in one piece , why is the ship Deucalion in that island too? hmm…. get the point? to convenient for the Terrans to create/copy the Aldnoah into Deucalion or master Kataphrakt tech if there was no source……Saazbaum fiancee…..

If this theory holds out, I’m not going to be surprised if INAHO(if his still alive) or yuki in the 2nd season can activate Aldnoah.

Slaines father could have discovered the secret to activating/transferring etc.. aldnoah and tested it on slaine etc… to much mystery on slaines father / family…

KISS transfer Theory

Again if biologically aldnoahs key is passable, then Seylum could have transmitted it unknowingly to both slaine adn inaho when they kissed via saliva.

AGAIN ALL ARE JUST MY CRAZY THEORIES & OPINIONS…….
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 24