• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yūki Yūna wa Yūsha de Aru

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
There's one thing I want to add after giving the plot some more thought. Speaking of manipulators, I think Sonoko was one of the biggest ones.

It was her who summoned Togo (and Yuna) to her side and spilled the beans about the hero system. It was her words that made their suspicions bloom. It was her who told Togo what the world really was like and to take a look herself. It was her who told Togo that she'll side with her even if she decides to hit the apocalypse button, and added that other heroes are no match for her.

Her motive was that it would either end it all, or force Shinju to admit that current hero system does not work. Both being acceptable endings to her.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
DRosencraft wrote:
Furthermore, taking away basic bodily functions like eyesight or the ability to walk seems extremely counterproductive to your only fighting force protecting your lives

Remember than when togo lost her legs she gained some form of artificial mobility in Hero form and no doubt Karin also had some kind of vision/heraing when in Hero form.

When Karin uses her multiple mankai in ep11, you'll notice things similar to watch Tougou uses to walk appear on Karin each time. The ones on her head can be safely assumed to function as eyes and ears for her in hero form.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
first things first, I love that this show is set in the same universe as golgo 13.

the references to other shows are pretty good, doing the flashback right in episode 10 was great, the gunbuster style universe was wonderful for a mahou shoujo show.

at first i felt the ending was a big ass pull, at first I tought that doing something like SPOILER did, by having yuna recover when they were already much older, 3-15 years later like in SPOILER was good, but in the end this season's ending feels more like teh onikakushi-hen ending, everything was supossed to be taken at face value, we "overthinked" things because of the presentation and context (the madoka references) and missed it; the disabilities were really temporary and this method of fighting has been going on for a small amount of time so there are a lot of unknowns, so everythign taht was fed to us was as is.

Key wrote:

And yes, I am also still floored that this was created by the same person who created AKG.

He's a good writer, he's nto great or a genious , but he is good an versatile, which works wonders for me as I have checked out his other works, I was pretty surprised when I learned he also did write majikoi and kimiaru, especialyl kimiaru because esdes from akakill really reminds me of the main heroine from that series and now I know why.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:30 am Reply with quote
People can try and justify, explain or excuse the ending all they like but that doesn't change the fact that it was a major cop-out. I've seen better endings in Saturday morning cartoons. Oh, those terribly tragic - yet emotionally moving - sacrifices the girls unwittingly (and in Karin's case, not so unwittingly) made? Oh, the universe waves its hand and all the girls get magically better for no reason other to have a feel-good ending. Don't get me wrong I don't like seeing girls suffer, but for eleven episodes there were valid and logical reasons for them to endure such trials. Their pain and distress were not only important to the plot, but utterly crucial for exploring the central themes of friendship, courage and heroism. Yet the writing threw all that away because of a pathetic fear of accepting the negative consequences of the scenario that the characters had been placed in. That said, ultimately the most fundamental problem is that the writing did not earn the ending it wanted but rather just shoved it on us.

Ugh. Can you tell I'm disgusted?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
People can try and justify, explain or excuse the ending all they like but that doesn't change the fact that it was a major cop-out. I've seen better endings in Saturday morning cartoons. Oh, those terribly tragic - yet emotionally moving - sacrifices the girls unwittingly (and in Karin's case, not so unwittingly) made? Oh, the universe waves its hand and all the girls get magically better for no reason other to have a feel-good ending. Don't get me wrong I don't like seeing girls suffer, but for eleven episodes there were valid and logical reasons for them to endure such trials. Their pain and distress were not only important to the plot, but utterly crucial for exploring the central themes of friendship, courage and heroism. Yet the writing threw all that away because of a pathetic fear of accepting the negative consequences of the scenario that the characters had been placed in. That said, ultimately the most fundamental problem is that the writing did not earn the ending it wanted but rather just shoved it on us.

Ugh. Can you tell I'm disgusted?

I certainly understand your view dtm42. I won't deny that the ending made me feel good. That was the intention of the writer no doubt. However, good vibes last only so long... a few days perhaps. Sometimes it is better to be intellectually challenged than simply made to feel good. The ending was very insufficient from an intellectual standpoint.

I think it goes back to my larger point about this show. In addition to the issues I have with how they used the Togo character, I just don't think the agenda was to seriously challenge the audience from an intellectual standpoint. The possibility for that was clearly there, but I don't think that was the goal. I think the goal was to engross us in a dark Moe story that tugged at our emotions by having us watch these very cute girls suffering and ultimately watch how their pure maiden's virtue and hope overcame all obstacles. That was the plan and it worked from that perspective. I think that is a very limited approach though, so while I can say the show was pretty good in executing such a plan, it fell short of true greatness by not really engaging us from the intellectual standpoint.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
What, may I ask, were you expecting/requiring for it to "engage you from an intellectual standpoint?"

(And for the record, while I certainly welcome such an element in a series, I find that a need for a series to have that to be top-caliber is vastly overrated. Superior execution in a show that doesn't challenge you in a major way is good enough for me.)

And dtm42: I can certainly appreciate why you found the ending to be a major cop-out; I also think they took the easy way out on that. However, I think the fact that the series showed the girls gradually recuperating from their debilities, rather than being instantly cured back to normal, makes a big difference here. It's pretty strongly implied that weeks, if not months, pass during the last half of that episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10