• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
of their own volition.

You do know that it's impossible to force some one to love some one else, right? I've seen plenty of arranged marriage situations where the girl doesn't like her fiancée but has to keep up appearances because she has no choice. She'll act extremely polite around him but generally keep her distance.

Almiria ran into his arms the moment he walked into the door. Sure as hell doesn't look like she only likes him because her parents told her she had to.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
of their own volition.

You do know that it's impossible to force some one to love some one else, right? I've seen plenty of arranged marriage situations where the girl doesn't like her fiancée but has to keep up appearances because she has no choice. She'll act extremely polite around him but generally keep her distance.

Almiria ran into his arms the moment he walked into the door. Sure as hell doesn't look like she only likes him because her parents told her she had to.

At least in this case, there is a chance that it could work out satisfactorily for both parties. However, the main point of us and the reviewer was that a society that thinks marrying a kid off to an older gentlemen for political gain is not a good one, and unusually backwards for a society where people have gone to space. Sure they have arranged and political marriages now and there are countries where children are married off, but in the latter case those countries don't have space programs. The point is not that this particular marriage is bad, but rather that the general idea of child marriage is bad. While these two could be happy, there may be many more that are unwanted on the part of the parties or even abusive. One good marriage does not outweigh many bad ones.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
But the marriage won't happen until she's no longer a child so that's not an issue.

I'd imagine after how badly the Calamity War wrecked things they might lower the marrying age for the sake of repopulation.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I guess now you're not reading as well as not understanding. The problem is with marriages arranged as a child not her particular one, or even when the marriage occurs. Also from a policy pov, lowering the marriage age would not increase the population, just change the age at first birth. Sure you could say they if they start earlier, they'll make more kids, but considering that most well off people don't pop out as many babies as possible, making the window wider won't change it. The reasons being 1) that having lots of kids costs lots of money, and you don't get rich by spending all you're money (Just ask lottery winners, the ones that aren't dead at least) and 2 specifically for nobility and the extremely rich) when the time comes for inheritance of titles and money, the more kids they have means more people fighting over that inheritance. There are policies that could raise the birth rate, such as increased aid and paid leave to new parents or more immigration from low income countries, but it depends on the particular circumstances of the country. Many countries have tried to increase their birth rates, but many are not successful.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
You guys seem to be forgetting the most important detail here: they are only going to get married once she's of age. They're only at the engagement stage right now so if anything their families are just getting ahead of themselves. So the system in place here is no different from normal.

No, I addressed that in my last post which you so handily ignored. And it is most certainly different. Why do you not see that? The girl has no way out of this even AFTER she grows up, at least not without major repercussions.

Quote:
Age of consent laws are important as a baseline, but due to their arbitrary nature they shouldn't be taken as absolutes. Things should be looked at on a case by case basis.

I think any decent person can agree that BEFORE PUBERTY is not a suitable age of consent. Stop pretending that a 12-year old is the same as a teenager or an adult.

Quote:
People seem to desperately want to view Almiria as the unfortunate victim of an unjust society but one look at that smile should tell you that's not the case. You can claim she was brainwashed into being happy with it or whatever but you're just complete disregarding her feelings on the matter due to her age. And that's ageist.

In 99 cases out of hundred, children do not have the life experience to decide this kind of stuff. Whether or not she is happy with it NOW is irrelevant because by putting her in this arrangement so early, they have effectively taken away any real choice she may have had in the matter. Maybe SHE is lucky enough that this will actually work out and they will be a happy couple in the end, but SHE never really chose it. And there are many besides her who may not be so fortunate.

Quote:
johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:
Not to mention that there is a hell of a lot more at work here than "mental maturity". It is about the amount of power both parties have in this relationship.

Since their parents made the decision, aren't Macky and Almiria's power levels the same? He seems the type that will likely dote on her every whim so she'd be the powerful one.

No, they are not. Almira is a child and therefore has no power whatsoever to get out of this if she ever wishes. Macky is an adult high-ranking military. That gives him plenty of leeway. And either way it is still a problem that all the power rests with the PARENTS and not the ones who are actually to be wed. Macky "doting on her" would be because he WISHES to do so, not because he HAS to. That does not place him in a position of inferiority.

And for the last time, stop pretending that this is an issue that ONLY concerns these two characters. This is about the SYSTEM that allows this kind of situation to happen in the first place, not whether or not Macky and Almira might really like each other enough to make it work when the time comes. One (possible) exception does not disprove the rule.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Just to reiterate the context, this is a POLITICAL MARRIAGE, both the noted individuals are being pushed into the wedding if they like it or not, McGillis has also shared his disdain early on in that at the very least it wasn't by his own volition that he will eventually have a child bride of sorts even if it is officially postponed until she is "of age".

This is very different from say many cited real world cases where pervy old men are marrying girls that are young enough to be there grandchildren while paying off the other family.

It is fair that the audience should be slightly taken aback that there is an aristocracy of sorts rising in this future dystopia, but just as well these are fictional characters and the narrative focus so far hasn't been on "how aweful political marriages are" so there is a slight deviation from some posters reaction to what has been presented so far.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
No, I addressed that in my last post which you so handily ignored.

Just because I didn't quote it doesn't mean I ignored it. Can't respond to everything point by point.

The girl has no way out of this even AFTER she grows up, at least not without major repercussions.

Isn't the same true for any such marriage, regardless of age? You speak as though how old she is is the only important factor here.

Stop pretending that a 12-year old is the same as a teenager or an adult.

You haven't spent much time around modern kids. They already know everything they need to, especially since most of them have easy access to the internet.

Just like there are a ton of adults out there that act like they're 12, there are plenty of kids who act like adults.

And for the last time, stop pretending that this is an issue that ONLY concerns these two characters. This is about the SYSTEM that allows this kind of situation to happen in the first place

What SYSTEM, exactly? This is an arrangement between two families only. The legal system apparently won't allow girls under a certain age to marry so isn't it doing its job? Or what, is a maid supposed to call the cops and get Almiria taken away?

And yes, so far as we know this issue ONLY concerns these two characters. Or did another such couple get brought up in the show that I wasn't aware of? We only have their example to go off of and the positive portrayal of the situation at the very least debunks the claim that it's intended to show how ugly Earth's current politics are.

If Almiria was bothered by the situation I would be against it too, but she isn't and I'm not about to sit here and decide for her that her feelings aren't legitimate. I'm morally opposed to polygamy too but I don't complain about the Turbines because they're cool with it. Who am I to judge?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Okay, that's enough debate about the moral ramifications of arranged child bride marriage, guys. That line of discussion is now closed.
amagee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
So how about seeing the series' second Gundam? Still has the V-Fin and everything.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, that episode hit me right in the feels

I was beginning to wonder if the show was going to go anywhere with it's setup about family and how people mature when with others but that episode just hits the nail on the head and leaves you crying.

Now, this was the Gundam I was expecting, May the show prosper further
Aisama

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I honestly thought that Masahiro and his 4 comrades will be capture/save from their master ship, and will be able to spend a somewhat happier existences on Tekkadan. I even daydream about it while watching, but wow, I was shocked when they start dropping off like flies. Shocked

I honestly didn't think another anime would be as merciless as Fafner exist. In fact, this one is even more merciless than Fafner in its killing. I'm sad, but at the same time, I'm excited and my expectancy of this show just shot higher. Surprised
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Aisama wrote:
I honestly thought that Masahiro and his 4 comrades will be capture/save from their master ship, and will be able to spend a somewhat happier existences on Tekkadan. I even daydream about it while watching, but wow, I was shocked when they start dropping off like flies. Shocked

I honestly didn't think another anime would be as merciless as Fafner exist. In fact, this one is even more merciless than Fafner in its killing. I'm sad, but at the same time, I'm excited and my expectancy of this show just shot higher. Surprised

One thing is for sure, despite being merciless, it's not thematically senseless like some anime in the 90s which just killed everyone out of nihilistic glee. The show knows who to make death have impact which is worth praise.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Nah lil bro was going to die for sure since last episode they killed one of his friend, would have been mighty awkward to have him just forget that right away.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:20 am Reply with quote
I think I would enjoy this show more if it didn't have Gundam in the name. It's a decent show but the robot fights just don't do it for me. There's so much drama wrapped around everything you can't enjoy it when the action happens, and the action is usually very very short, and then leads to some major character being injured or dead and then more drama.

Honestly, aside from the mobile suite looking like a gundam and being called gundam, you could just change those two things and just have it be another series that involves big robots and you would never notice that it was a gundam series. I would probably have preferred it that way
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
I think I would enjoy this show more if it didn't have Gundam in the name. It's a decent show but the robot fights just don't do it for me. There's so much drama wrapped around everything you can't enjoy it when the action happens, and the action is usually very very short, and then leads to some major character being injured or dead and then more drama.

Honestly, aside from the mobile suite looking like a gundam and being called gundam, you could just change those two things and just have it be another series that involves big robots and you would never notice that it was a gundam series. I would probably have preferred it that way

How so? This week episode was the first time anyone got injured in a fight, all the other one were consequence free... Similarly there was almost no drama in any other fights, they were all "hey people are attacking us, lets kick there butt".

In fact I'd say most other gundam show had even more drama in every fight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 47