• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash [2016-01-18]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
LightningZangetsu27 wrote:
if you wanna know that badly

I didn't want to know anything about what's coming up at all (this season or future ones), but now I know, thanks. :/

Episode 7

Is it just me, or did the characters look a little more off-model this episode? When Manato first sat down on the log, his face almost looked like a mask, it so didn't go with his body. And Ranta looked like he'd gotten a haircut in the first half of the episode.

So yeah, first it was just 5 little birds in the window, but now there are 6. Aww. Smile I think my favorite part was when Ranta matter-of-factly asked Mary which of the guys she preferred and they all just looked expectantly at her to answer. Very Happy Talk about being put on the spot.

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ranta having that moment of admitted insecurity was really important for preventing his character from becoming an uninteresting caricature and gimmick in which it's impossible to invest.

Yeah I'm definitely glad the writers are sending character development his way. I didn't like him at first but his apology to Shihoru and consideration for Mary definitely made me grow to appreciate him.
Also, it looks like next episode they're going after the goblin that killed Manato. I'm hyped but also worried that someone else might die. Being front-line fighters, Moguzo and Ranta could be in danger.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
more than Haruhiro's speech about considering Mary a friend

not being a native speaker I have to ask the harsh question; any idea why those subs avoid the use of the word comrade instead of nakama, friend felt really off, even needy in those dialogues, and sine they are pretty much a military unit, the word comrade should fit nicely, unless for some reason the word comrade is prohibited for communist undertones; but in this case the sue of the word friend seriouly undermines the dialgo for me if I was not paying attention to the japanese audio.

Quote:

This is slightly sad since it does not come with a realization that they are individuals rather than a monstrous collective, but we can probably write that off as a coping mechanism to allow him to kill them.

if you want to feel better about killing goblins, they are usually rapists in those kind of worlds, we don't have proof of them being the same there and I am fine with not having that, but as a general rule for this type of novel, they are that.

(just liek dragons are supossed to eb superhorny/will do anything that consents, hi highschool dxd).

Quote:

It really has become clear that this is an interior story, more focused on the characters' emotions and development than one that deals in action and adventure.

I really like that, there are a lot of works in this genre, and having a fresh persepective/way of doing things is more than welcome, the power trips/jrpg rule building abusing tend to be the downfall in this genre so keeping it to character feelings instead makes this more interesting to watch (and this season we also got konosuba, while might be of a different quality is a comedic take on the same "genre").
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Quote:
more than Haruhiro's speech about considering Mary a friend

not being a native speaker I have to ask the harsh question; any idea why those subs avoid the use of the word comrade instead of nakama, friend felt really off, even needy in those dialogues, and since they are pretty much a military unit, the word comrade should fit nicely, unless for some reason the word comrade is prohibited for communist undertones; but in this case the use of the word friend seriously undermines the dialogue for me if I was not paying attention to the japanese audio.

I think is more that they chose friend rather than avoiding the word comrade. Friend is a perfectly acceptable translation and if you type nakama in google translate (the kanji) that's what comes up first. They probably thought friend sounded more personal than comrade, and while they are in an army of sorts, it's not really a structured military unit and they are fairly autonomous. English speakers don't use the word comrade much, especially as synonymous with friend as it is a bit impersonal and a little grandiose. Communist undertones don't really help but it's not really the primary consideration, especially after the Cold War ended. Though when trying to imply someone is a communist, they often use the word comrade. They don't hesitate to use comrade when translating Doshi, another word that means comrade, and usually the one used as a communist honorific, such as in this season's Schwarzesmarken, where the political officers are referred to as Comrade *insert military rank*
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Great episode again this week, I think it's good to see the series still take it's time and centre around the characters and their emotions making it stand out from other series' of the same genre even though it still uses some of the same tropes. The insert song for this episode seemed the one that had most differing sound for the rest, having a hard but not overpowering rock beat instead of the usual soft tone probably to signify how the 'Goblin Slayers,' are beginning to grow up again without Manato Crying or Very sad .

Quote:
This week we for the first time see Ranta really say something about how he's feeling instead of trying to hide it behind his usual bluster while Shihoru finally feels comfortable enough to speak out.

Yeah, I was surprised (in a good way) about that scene and it makes me happy that they've given two characters who's personality are quite clichéd more personality then most anime would. Also that joke with Ranta about it snowing wasn't really getting old in the episode but it could if it was overused, although I do love his responses every time Laughing . Hope everything goes well next episode with retrieving Haruhiro's blade.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
"When I opened my eyes, it was morning."

Did they call up nasu to write the script for this episode? Laughing

Last edited by Pierrot. on Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I think this is my favorite Grimgar episode and by far.

Especially loved the fight scene, you can see bits of the characters here and there very well, the tension is high at all times and both directing and animation did an amazing job this episode.

For starters, we saw a more vicious Moguzou than ever, way more focused than in earlier fights. Yume shows to be more cautious and doesn't make useless movements, except for almost shouting "Nobody here!", the subs made it sound more formal with "All clear" but that's not what she said. Shihoru seemed like a similar player as Mary, but quite the contrary, she's prone to take reckless actions if she sees high reward in it. Ranta's flaws in fighting were obvious then and Haruhiro made them all the more clear.

Lastly, Haruhiro vs the last goblin was excellent. It was a good call to just throw in the cape, but my favorite move was pretending to fall unconscious when strangled, and then quickly use the move he used in episode 2 to kill their first goblin (for how fast it was, I thought Yume shot it).

On another note, the way goblins are being portrayed is good as always, I don't think the story ever pretended to make them go back to the usual evil monster role, it's just that the protagonists "rightfully" winning makes us think otherwise sometimes. To add, there was a hunter goblin who jokingly fake shot his friend, they can even make jokes, and they also have quite good teamwork as shown until the last moment (I seriously thought Ranta got killed in that one).

And last but not least, it's great to see characters growing both in thought and appearence, I've been particularly interested in each new outfit they sport as they gain more experience and money, Yume's and Mary's Winter clothes are my favorite so far.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, as far as single episodes go, episode 8 my favorite so far this winter season.

Quote:
She's dressed very much as Manato was and was clearly posing the least threat to the other goblins in that particular phase of the fight, so the fact that she was targeted rather than one of the others suggests that the goblin not only knew she was a healer, but specifically tried to kill her in order to cripple the group. That's not just higher order thinking, it is deliberate strategy.

I don't think that is new info though. I'm pretty sure their acquaintance who came up to them in the bar as they were lamenting Manato's death told them that healers get targeted.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I loved the episode this week, especially when Mary got hot by that arrow (that same goblin! Mad ), my heart basically stopped, that really made think Mary was actually going to die which is good because a lot of shows fail on stuff like and shows that it's got me quite invested.I like the insert song this week keeping a similar rock beat as the previous episode which really suits the episode and although though I prefer original version, the ending theme song 'Harvest' sung by Haruka Terui (Shihoru's voice actor) is great for the scene of the episode where they're all at Manato's grave.
The fight scene was good as well this week with the 'Golbin Slayers' (I can't think of a better name to call them all collectively) going in to take revenge for Manato and get Haruhiro's blade back. The scenes before the fight were interesting was well, showing what the goblin's life is like like with them playing chess and playing some type of card game showing that they're not not just mindless beings and making us feel for them as well. The fight scene this week was nice and even though some parts of the fight felt slow at times, it felt realistic so that wasn't really a problem. We also get to see some more of the skills and moves of the party as well in the fight, my favourite parts were Shihoru uses her magic and really getting close into fight and Moguzo's 'Domo!' Anime smile + sweatdrop every time he slam down an enemy also Haruhiro fight against the goblin who shot Manato was cool especially when we threw the cape down on the arrow it shot and ran up to it and Yume's archery skill helping him.
Also even though she looks quite uncomfortable while everyone is at Manato's grave which is naturally considering she's the only one that didn't know him, she looks like she's become become comfortable with the group now which is good although it's mostly with Haruhiro probably because he was the one to the welcome her into the group first and everyone finally seems to be coming to terms with Manato's death
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Did ranta say "boku no yume "?

Pierrot. wrote:
"When I opened opened my eyes, it was morning."

Did they call up nasu to write the script for this episode? Laughing

I tought the same, lol
stilldemented

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't have much worth adding in regards to the goblins having human characteristics. It was alarming that they are intelligent enough to play a game as sophisticated and strategical as chess. We've been told that they tend to use strategy before, but to see it in action really hammered that point home.

Mary and Haruhiro come across as kindred spirits. They've both lost people who are dear to them and have a tendency to dwell on it. Now that Haruhiro has made peace with his loss, he probably wants to help Mary to settle her own scores and move forward. I figure that's where the show will go from here.

Though we only have four episodes left. Kind of weird to start a new arc with so little time left. Hopefully, we're not cut off with a cliffhanger ending.
scrwbll19

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or was there a change in how Shihoru was drawn in ep.8? Some of the shots that focus on her make her look kind, um, plain in an odd, amateurish sense.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
stilldemented wrote:
Though we only have four episodes left. Kind of weird to start a new arc with so little time left. Hopefully, we're not cut off with a cliffhanger ending.

Is there anyway to know viewer number back in japan for individual show? From what I understand there's still quite a bit of content in the LN that they could adapt so if the number are good we could get an S2 (PLzzzzzzzz)
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Is there anyway to know viewer number back in japan for individual show? From what I understand there's still quite a bit of content in the LN that they could adapt so if the number are good we could get an S2 (PLzzzzzzzz)

I think viewer numbers in the late night timeslot is either not tracked or mostly irrelevant. Rather than viewer numbers, you can look at sales expectation and stalker rankings, plus source material boosts.

All of which don't look good for this series, though the season as a whole seems to have only one success, that being Konosuba. BokuMachi had some respectable source material boosts, but I've never heard anything about the disc sales aside from "everything but Konosuba and maybe DRRR are doing baaaad".
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
meiam wrote:

I think viewer numbers in the late night timeslot is either not tracked or mostly irrelevant. Rather than viewer numbers, you can look at sales expectation and stalker rankings, plus source material boosts.

All of which don't look good for this series, though the season as a whole seems to have only one success, that being Konosuba. BokuMachi had some respectable source material boosts, but I've never heard anything about the disc sales aside from "everything but Konosuba and maybe DRRR are doing baaaad".

I don't think it matters for BokuMachi since its going to be a complete adaptation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 19