• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Pleads Guilty to Coercing Girl He Met at Anime Con

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NonoAsumy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I think this most beautiful short movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlb9TCLJdwQ

belongs in this thread.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Interesting movie, but probably not relevant to this.
citizenplain wrote:
You can't be forced to do something willingly. Coercion means that you don't get a choice. And why go through such a nuanced argument to defend an admitted rapist?
Since when have I defended the rapist? You enjoy putting words in other peoples mouths.
I am not disputing the fact that the man lied to the girl. What I am disputing is how that changes the moral significance of the girls actions.
From the article:
Quote:
He allegedly befriended the girl on Facebook and through mobile phone conversations under the name "Michael Allen," and then engaged in sexual explicit conduct twice in the following month.

Doesn't sound very coerced on her part.
citizenplain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
Interesting movie, but probably not relevant to this.
citizenplain wrote:
You can't be forced to do something willingly. Coercion means that you don't get a choice. And why go through such a nuanced argument to defend an admitted rapist?
Since when have I defended the rapist? You enjoy putting words in other peoples mouths.
I am not disputing the fact that the man lied to the girl. What I am disputing is how that changes the moral significance of the girls actions.
From the article:
Quote:
He allegedly befriended the girl on Facebook and through mobile phone conversations under the name "Michael Allen," and then engaged in sexual explicit conduct twice in the following month.

Doesn't sound very coerced on her part.

Um, saying that I enjoy putting words in people's mouths is, in fact, putting words in my mouth Smile That aside, you appear by your arguments to believe the girl is at somehow fault here, which disturbing and in fact wrong. He did not only lie to, but also raped a child. She didn't volunteer to be sexually abused.

Doesn't sound coerced? Did you miss the part of the headline where it says "man pleads guilty to coercing girl he met at anime con"? Are you choosing to ignore that? By irrelevantly questioning the victim's morality you are displaying tacit sympathy for an admitted rapist.
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
(see the Duke lacrosse case for reasons to why you shouldn't always assume the woman is innocent)

What reality do you live in where everyone always assumes the woman is innocent?
It's always: What was she wearing? How much make-up did she have on? Has she ever had a boyfriend before? How hard did she fight back? Well she shouldn't have been: at that party/drinking/ drinking that much/walking in that area/out at night/out during the day/ by herself/ with those friends/on a date/such a slut/in such a crowded area/ in such an isolated area/wearing those shoes/
Because everyone knows that guys can't control themselves and doing any of the above means that she probably wanted to seduce him and she's just saying rape because she doesn't want to be labeled the slut she is and she wanted to ruin him.
That is what society says.

Isn't it evident from this very thread that many people think that the girl shared some part of the blame?

She doesn't. She is a victim. The only one at fault is the rapist.

Misogyny runs very deep in this culture.

I wish I lived in your imaginary reality.
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
haldenlith wrote:
I feel the girl should get some sort of punishment as well.

Kougeru wrote:
I'm hoping she lost her cellphone ,interent use ect ect ect.

Goggen wrote:
I do wonder about the girl, though.

hikaricore wrote:
I have to wonder who did the coercing... she should be held accountable in some way as well.

willag wrote:
I do think the parents and the victim share some blame as well, and hopefully they treat this as a lesson. I think the parents could have been more aware of her activities online, and she could have used better judgment.

Youkai Warrior wrote:
But I do hope the girl learned her lesson.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
at 13 years old, the girl isn't exactly incapable of understanding what she is doing.

asimpson2006 wrote:
I do agree both parties share the blame

Strawberryelle wrote:
she wasn't "raped" in the true sense of the word.

Anymouse wrote:
If that's true then she's a damn slut.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
citizenplain wrote:

You can't be forced to do something willingly. Coercion means that you don't get a choice.
No coercion is conditioning the child to think that that something is the right thing to choose to do.
hikaricore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
hikaricore wrote:
I have to wonder who did the coercing... she should be held accountable in some way as well.

If you would be so kind as to not quote me out of context and or truncate said quotes. Thanks.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
coercion is conditioning the child to think that something is the right thing to choose to do.
True. And our public schools do that in many parts of this country. "Remember to always use a condom! [Whenever you have casual sex with a Facebook Friend]"
Quote:
If you would be so kind as to not quote me out of context and or truncate said quotes. Thanks.

Don't worry, the thought police have their ways of making you talk. Very Happy
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
hikaricore wrote:
Mike Toole wrote:
hikaricore wrote:

Mike didn't quote you wildly out of context. That's the argument you made, and have been making the entire time. If the argument you're presenting requires 8000 words of backpedaling, rewording and so-called "nuance" to not make it sound like you're defending a rapist and blaming his victim, you may not want to be making that argument in the first place.

While I know some people are naturally wired to always play devil's advocate or try and "blow your mind" with their alterna-logic, it isn't worth it to do the "well if you think about it this way" argument thing in cases like these because it is virtually impossible to not come across as though you're siding with the rapist on this. Common sense dictates that this isn't really an argument worth having in the first place and you're not going to come out on the other side looking like the good guy if you walk down the "well maybe she's to blame too!" road for even a second, even hypothetically, even if you're just playing games or trolling or whatever. Not worth it. And I don't know why any of you think it is.

This thread makes me sad.
slickwolfie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Slick
Maur

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
What I don't understand in all this is:

Quote:

According to attorney's office, the girl later discovered Alper's true identity

Wait, so she was okay with having sex with a guy over twice her age until she found out he was a pedophile? Shocked Question
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
coercion is conditioning the child to think that something is the right thing to choose to do.
True. And our public schools do that in many parts of this country. "Remember to always use a condom! [Whenever you have casual sex with a Facebook Friend]"

Yes, just like they railroad students into cars with its immoral driver's education classes.

slickwolfie wrote:
Zac wrote:

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Thirded. I'm suddenly really glad that I bought a bottle of scotch tonight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
you're not going to come out on the other side looking like the good guy if you walk down the "well maybe she's to blame too!" road for even a second, even hypothetically, even if you're just playing games or trolling or whatever. Not worth it. And I don't know why any of you think it is.
Here is why I think it is:
Article wrote:
I would never do such a thing at any age, not even with the cutest lady out there. Why would he? Why would she? The simple answer is because they were both willing to have sexual relations. This isn't bizarro logic, this isn't difficult reasoning. This is common sense.
slickwolfie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
Zac wrote:
you're not going to come out on the other side looking like the good guy if you walk down the "well maybe she's to blame too!" road for even a second, even hypothetically, even if you're just playing games or trolling or whatever. Not worth it. And I don't know why any of you think it is.
Here is why I think it is:
Article wrote:
I would never do such a thing at any age, not even with the cutest lady out there. Why would he? Why would she? The simple answer is because they were both willing to have sexual relations. This isn't bizarro logic, this isn't difficult reasoning. This is common sense.

Would it be any different if this girl was 8 years old and met someone on facebook, conversed and willingly had sexual relations with this guy? Would you still place any blame the child?
Slick
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
If the girl had not had puberty, she could not possibly have made a willing choice. There are very few 8 year olds who have. The average age of actual puberty is 12 and 1/2.

But if an 8 year old had a strange medical condition and looked 13 then I think she could share some blame.
The following shows what a 9 year old is capable of. The girl below is the same age as me. I was still a little boy.
Young Healthy Mother

Last edited by Anymouse on Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 13