• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! The Third Plate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Erina's this close to accepting that she actually does like Soma.

That would be well and good, but between her tsundere blushing whenever he talks to her, and the overwhelming assaults of the rapey chibi-Somas when she eats his food, I don't like their dynamic. He's friend-zoned her so hard he barely perceives her (or any other girls) as female, and that's fine, but it's clear she's supposed to be resisting falling as in love with the son as she worshipped the father, rather than simply pushing away his friendship. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

So I was wrong about the reason for her loss, but given all that went into it, I don't feel bad, since there was no way to expect it would come down to a poorly temperature-controlled environment (I thought this place had all the moneys to make everything perfect? And wouldn't the body heat of the massive audience offset that anyway?) and I don't know from the details of soba flour milling. Smile

Man, they sure zipped past the third battle. I don't even know what dish they were making. Smile

One thing that's always bothered me about this, and all reality tv cooking battles, is that it seems to me that whoever serves first has a really unfair advantage. There's truth in the saying that "Hunger is the best spice." Even lesser dishes would taste marvelous if they're hungry, and given just how much they eat of the meals (usually way more than just a taste), you'd think they'd be so full that they wouldn't even want to eat any more, let alone be able to fairly judge the merits of the next dish. By the time they've hit the last battle, in just the opening round they've eaten 6 full entrees, often eating seconds of some dishes! I feel bloated just thinking about it.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:04 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
Erina's this close to accepting that she actually does like Soma.

That would be well and good, but between her tsundere blushing whenever he talks to her, and the overwhelming assaults of the rapey chibi-Somas when she eats his food, I don't like their dynamic.

I actually don't like their dynamic or the idea of them as a couple either, and when I interviewed the creator, he said that romance wasn't really a major factor for Soma, so that's good. I've come to a better understanding of Erina and I'm proud of her for how she's overcome her abusive father, but I still don't like her as a character, and if he's going to end up with anyone, I'd rather it be Megumi, with whom I feel like he has a more equal relationship. Nevertheless, her acknowledging any positive feelings for him is a major step forward for Erina, which is more what I was getting at.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:52 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
...when I interviewed the creator, he said that romance wasn't really a major factor for Soma, so that's good.

For Soma the character or Soma the series? Like I said, girls seem to be the farthest thing on his mind, and I wasn't envisioning a romance for them. I just don't like the inequality of her apparently feeling romantic towards him, while he couldn't care less about that. I'd be fine with it if she were presented as slowly coming to accept him as a friend and respect him as a worthy chef. They're almost there, but her side is tinged with her developing a crush on him, which wrecks the whole thing for me.

I wouldn't like Megumi paired off with him either. She had the opposite problem of Erina - instead of thinking she's too good for everyone, Megumi thought she wasn't good enough. But having overcome that, she and Soma now pretty much embody the relationship I'd like to see Erina have with him as well. I don't want to see her climb down from her pedestal only to put Soma up on it, decorated with hearts and flowers.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:42 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
[
For Soma the character or Soma the series?

Oh, hey, that would be good to know! Very Happy Soma the character, although honestly, the whole series is nicely devoid of romance. (I like romance, but it doesn't need to be in everything.)

That's a good point about Megumi - really, none of the cast is a good fit for any sort of romance subplot; the creators have done a good job of making that of secondary, if not tertiary, importance after all of the cooking stuff.
Sylontack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, I think you're all focusing a little too much on the idea that Erina's change of heart is inherently romantic, I won't be surprised if the series veers in that direction later on but given the complete lack of romantic context in the series thus far I always perceived Erina's behavior more a result of her upbringing and general defense systems being brought into question, she's grown up feeling like these people don't deserve her attention and respect but now that she's genuinely growing proud of them and dare I say even revering her peers the "tsundere" tactics are coming out. She hasn't had this relationship with her peers prior to this. Soma is just the centerpiece of these developments.
Again, wouldn't be surprised if she does develop a romantic attraction towards him after the writing moves past lowering her defenses but with the clues we've given to this point it's not unsafe to assume her attraction is more intellectual than romantic. idk
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10