• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Evangelion vs. Rahxephon.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ikari1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I rewatched the entire Rahxephon series today. I ve also very recently rewatched the evangelion series. I am anevangelion fan. This does not make me biased against Rahxephon or any other series that borrows inspiration from other anime. I have already made this clear in other posts that i judge anime on its own and consider all anime to be borrowing from another anime at some point in time.

My first issue with what is being said about evangelion regards the digs taken at its plot.
There is a scene in the first episode with rei appearing and then dissappering.
There is another scene in the second episode where a scene is presented to us of shinji in a hospital bed comtemplating how he ended up in hospital. The camera angels and use of sound in this scene have to be considered. Also bear in mind that evangelion uses different camera angles and sounds exstensively to represent characters emotions. Most noticable are the sounds of cicada's being almost overbearing at crucial points in the plot; specifically when a charcaters emotion or mental state is being alluded too.

spoiler[The argument between shinji and his father in episode 1.
The way in which shinji had to repeat over and over ' I must not run away. I must not run away, I must not run away'.
The Look on shinji's face when he is being attacked by the first angel.
The look on his face when he attacks the second angel. His breakdown after this.
Also in episode 2 or 3 of evangelion; Misato comments on the way shinji might see through her act.
In episode 5, rei has a conversation with shinji about his father which ends in rei slapping shinji.
In episode 7 shinji questions what eva actually is. He states the the entry plug smells like blood.
]

These are just a few examples of how Evangelion presents various plot points. I have specifically seleceted the scenes that allude to the 'Mysteries' mentioned earlier. I have also picked out scenes that show that evangelion didn't just change direction half way trhough. All the signs for the series showcasing the characters mental degradation are clearly there from the start. The point I'm making is that there is no excuse in saying that the plot is not well enough alluded too or is only explored in later episodes. I've provided evidence that proves otherwise.

Quote:
The series was structured so that plot and character development were never neglected. Every episode it seemed had some new morsel of information regarding the complex and ever-relevant backstory, and at the same time meaningful scenes between characters. Sure, keeping track of all the questions that arise in the first five episodes alone can be difficult, but the series does tie all the loose ends up (or at least provides enough information to make an informed guess).

I'm sorry but Rahxpheon is not the well structured and charcater building anime that you have described. The first 5 episodes lend them self to confusion with no explanation given about the situation, who is fighting, what is fighting and what is going on. The characters are not properly introduced and by episode 10 I'm still none the wiser as to where the bloody story is going and have yet to see explanations about anything remotly important to the plot.

The charcaters are not well fleshed out. The protagonists complete lack of proper reaction to finding he spoiler[just killed his child hood freind and love interest is criminal]. He just quickly got on with life keeping her diary and bell charm.

The plot is one the worst explained that I've seen so far in a series.

Last edited by Ikari1 on Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Most of us gave up long ago, which might be why you feel so alone. I'm firmly in the RahXephon camp, as I find Evangelion to be a decent, but far from stellar series. Many Eva fans just aren't willing to discuss it, and heck, many never bothered to watch RahXephon, or did so already bias under the notion that it was just a wannabe Eva, which made it the "enemy" to them. This, of course, doesn't account for everyone and it's entirely feasible someone could see both with an open mind and still prefer Eva, but there's plenty whose opinions on RX were swayed by preconceived notions and bias based on the arguments of the fans and their respect/love of Eva.

So in other words, trying to raise critical flaws to Eva to a Eva fan is as persuasive as trying to get a Naru-tard or Inuyasha fan to expand their anime horizons (not that it implies to all people)?

I know Rah has it's flaws too, especially since spoiler[there are some things about the Mu not explored like their past.] But, it was easier for me to connect with the characters and the plot was easier to understand, even if it wasn't perfect. That's all there is to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
For two series that are so similar, you seem awfully apologetic for one, while downright critical without any positive take in regards to the other.

Eva does hint at its deeper plot, but it does nothing with them and moves on with the more standard fare until a sudden jerk throws us in to the midst of pound after pound of pretentious philosophical crap that's thrown at us like a 10 ton hammer. I didn't say Eva was "standard", I said that's how it played itself out for the bulk of its first half, and I maintain that.

I didn't find RahXephon all that confusing at all, nor do I require explanations of everything right from the start. In fact, I often praise series for not feeling the need to spoonfeed the viewer with every little plot element, instead leaving the viewer to question what's going on and try to figure it out with the characters. It is, in fact, one of my favorite aspects of Eureka Seven, which is actually tied for number 1 for me (with Haibane Renmei). My problem with Eva is that it does very little to even build that up, and then the conclusion lets the viewer down in regard to what it did build up. That's not to say it made no effort, but all in all the effort was lacking significantly.

I don't see Evangelion as a bad series, and I don't see RahXephon as the all time greatest, I just happen to put Rahxephon ahead of Evangelion as it just flowed better and was far more cohesive. It wasn't perfect, but when I put it up next to the mishmash that Eva was, it's honestly hard for me to consider Eva the superior series here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Ikari1 wrote:
Complaints about RahXephon.

Ah.

Everything you mentioned, I have a counter to; either a proper rebuttal, or examples of Evangelion doing the same.

Do we really want to get into that kind of petty point-for-point debate? Because I will if you want to. It's a bad road to go down; it demeans both series, and it ensures the thread will end up in "locksville" sooner or later. But that said, I'm still willing to go in and bat for RahXephon. That's because I honestly believe it's better.

End of story.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Most of us gave up long ago, which might be why you feel so alone.
Quote:
So in other words, trying to raise critical flaws to Eva to a Eva fan is as persuasive as trying to get a Naru-tard or Inuyasha fan to expand their anime horizons (not that it implies to all people)?

Evangelion fans have the right to defend the series they love. Tarring all evangeilion fans with the same brush isnt the best way to go about insulting Evangelion as a series. I dont care much for this tactic. Just because your opinion is in the minority does not make it automatically right which is what your comments are trying to suggest.

There isnt much that is similar about the two series in all honesty.

Quote:
o we really want to get into that kind of petty point-for-point debate? Because I will if you want to. It's a bad road to go down; it demeans both series, and it ensures the thread will end up in "locksville" sooner or later. But that said, I'm still willing to go in and bat for RahXephon. That's because I honestly believe it's better.

I've deleted half of my previous post due to wanting to avoid exactly this. If this is what you want why not post some specific examples of the well fleshed out characters that you love so much in rahxepheon.....tells us what makes ayato great for example.

Evangelion doesnt need me to defend it anyway it speaks for itself
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Ikari1 wrote:

Ummmm, no, that's not going to cut it. If Evangelion spoke for itself then this entire thread, this whole debate, and the other side of this whole deal would never even exist.
Elfen12

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Ikrai1 wrote:

Is this the sentence what you say when you may run out of things to help argue your point? That it speaks for itself... that type of talk has always been something i dislike rather intensley... providing proof and details is what makes a fact true, not simply blindly believing a fact simply becuase one says it (That is why i'm also so against the idea of Religion, despite what it may do to people). You've been on the brink of suffienceny and insufficency as post's go on regarding your arguement... but a statement such as this, well... i can't help but say what i'm saying.

Although i also happen to believe that well... this debate is rather cliche, and has happened in the past before... but there isn't anythign wrong with it. Indeed... nothign wrong with it at all, i'm indeed learnign alot about the shows.

Whats funny though Mr. Ikari1... is that you completley contradict your self... well almost at least... you say that it can speak for itself... however
you also wrote:
Evangelion fans have the right to defend the series they love.

nothing personal though... sorry if i sound out right and mean... it just well bothers me a bit

-Elfen12- I had the computer sitting here writing my post for a while, i didn't notice what Keonyn had said...
Labbes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
Most of us gave up long ago, which might be why you feel so alone. I'm firmly in the RahXephon camp, as I find Evangelion to be a decent, but far from stellar series. Many Eva fans just aren't willing to discuss it, and heck, many never bothered to watch RahXephon, or did so already bias under the notion that it was just a wannabe Eva, which made it the "enemy" to them. This, of course, doesn't account for everyone and it's entirely feasible someone could see both with an open mind and still prefer Eva, but there's plenty whose opinions on RX were swayed by preconceived notions and bias based on the arguments of the fans and their respect/love of Eva.

I don't think that's really fair, at least not to most people currently into the discussion. There are certainly people like that, though.
So, I'm trying to express some things in an open-minded way, and I hope I will be at least a little bit successful.

Character development
Both series score here a lot. I can say I liked the characters in Rahxephon quite a lot, and I didn't find one of their reactions "unnatural" or "unemotional" - basically the same goes for Evangelion, only that the characters are more nuts (said simply).

Mysteries: The Mecha
While the EVAs always had an aura of danger, the RahXephon is more "friendly", which is only fitting for the series, I think. The origin of the Mu is explained as much as the origin of the Angels (So, it is not). While I was asking about the EVAs "What are they?", in RahXephon I was wondering "Who is that girl in the yellow dress?"
Both series take a different approach here, even the mecha designs reflect that, I think.

Mysteries: The other characters
Most characters in EVA have their own motives to do something, which is revealed throughout the series. However at first, they are all friendly and such (Except Gendo...). Only after time, this facade breaks away.
Comparing this to RahXephon is rather hard. While of course, there is this thing with the doctor, most characters are "friendly" and stay that. I will bring up the attack of the Mu here, where spoiler[Ayato's childhood friend is a very strong pilot], but it does not really compare. Of course, this is not a bad thing, since both series obviously take a different approach.

The Ending
We all know EVA has two endings, but I am going to compare the TV ending here. This may be the part where I am the least "objective", since my feelings about this are quite strong. Forgive me.
So, EVA has a fucked-up ending, totally changing the visual storytelling, or even not telling a story at all. It is by no means a "fitting conclusion", since that would mean answering some questions. However, it does what the series focused on, earlier, too, only in an extreme way: Exploring the character's minds (and reducing the cast greatly). I did understand the last two episodes halfway through the second one - when I thought that this is what's happening inside you when the HIP kicks in (horrible sentence, sorry). EVA's ending is different. It is interesting. It made me think and it made me cry.
RahXephon's ending is more like End of Evangelion: It shows what happens, too, but in the world. The last few episodes accomplished a lot too, I think, but it ultimately fails.
The feeling of "leave" was great when Haruka and her sister are boarding the ship. I thought they were going to reduce the cast, which they had done throughout the last few episodes.
Sadly, they throw some characters together in spoiler[a house with the creator of RahXephon who lives forever.] That was just so unbelievable. I felt they were basically pulling story elements out from thin air - a thing you can do, but certainly not to answer crucial questions. His explanations were plain ridiculous, I think.
The fight between spoiler[Ayato and Quon] was, I think, too long and somehow not fitting. I also thought the mecha designs were based on a good idea, but rather silly.

As you can see, I totally failed on the ending. Maybe someone else can do that better :/
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
I don't think that's really fair, at least not to most people currently into the discussion. There are certainly people like that, though.

I was just fuming and frustrated at that point since more people were arguing in favor of Eva and I was the only person arguing against it. But, I added in "not that it implies to all people." Both shows have their pros and cons and some of the Eva supporters saying there was nothing positive at all about Rah just drove me nuts since they felt like biased opinions. And it seems I got caught up in the biased trap for Rah's favor when all hell broke loose.

At the very least, your comparisons of the two shows that you're not being biased in favor of either shows.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Is this the sentence what you say when you may run out of things to help argue your point?

No this is what i say when it's 4 in the morning, I'm frustrated, because I'm too tired to make a proper argument for evangelion and I dont want to to say something I'll regret later. I've now got all day wouldnt you know to make an argument. Dont you think i did the right thing by leaving with that comment rather than ' I hate you all you bad bad envagelion haters' or something more appropriate to describe my pissed off state at the time. No i think i made a correct desision on this comment.

What i meant by the comment is that Evangelion has enough fans who like it and who also in my opinion out number the ones that think it's
Quote:
pretentious philosophical crap
, for me not to have to get too worried or worked up in this situation.

Quote:
I was just fuming and frustrated at that point since more people were arguing in favor of Eva and I was the only person arguing against it.

Do you not think that this is because alot of people actually genuinely like evangelion. I almost lost my rag about this thread last night and went on a rant about Rahxphon but decided the comments were not fair and deleted them. Yes they were alot worse.

Elfen- why dont you accept the fact that I'm not just arguing for evangelion because i can. I'm arguing for it because i genuinely feel that alot of time effort and work has gone into the series and the product at the end is trully a master peice that stands out among anime despite all the problems it had during it's production. All i see you doing now is claiming that i cant argue for eva because everyone else has done it before and that eva fans dont ever listen to reason.

On top of other cohesive arguments that were origionally being used, I've seen this approach from 3 of you now.

You should know by now from my other posts that I am prepared to listen to both sides. I'm not stupid and I certainly dont appreciate the underhanded methods I've seen on this thread that seem to work to discredit evangelion fans and thus anything i say on the matter. If anything some of the language and methods I've now seen on here to discredit evangelion just discredits those of you who like Rahxphon. I like rahxphon despite my feelings of it being very underdeveloped right up until the last 6 epsiodes. Some of the episode's were literally legendary in terms of how they were executed.

With regards to my comments that were seen as biased against Rahxpheon a few post back, i made those comments because I just didn't agree with another coment that was made saying that Rahxpheon takes careful consideration of it's plot and character's at every turn. I felt this was just not true. It neglects too much in the first 5 episodeS. It is still enjoyable however, but not the picture of pererfection that the poster was trying to paint it as at the time.

Just out of interest and becasue it bugged me the most about Rahxephon, can you explain the seeming lack of emotion from Ayato after spoiler[the death of Asahina]. He simply goes back and gets on with life from what i see. It was instances like this where he goes back to normal life as if nothing happened that makes me say that sometimes I think Ayato as a charater is un emotional.

Dean
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:32 am Reply with quote
[quote="Ikari1"]
Quote:
can you explain the seeming lack of emotion from Ayato after spoiler[the death of Asahina]. He simply goes back and gets on with life from what i see. It was instances like this where he goes back to normal life as if nothing happened that makes me say that sometimes I think Ayato as a charater is un emotional.

The scene you refer to could have been the for the most moving in the entire series had they not played spoiler[a brass rendition of the mostly uninspiring ED in the background].

Labbes wrote:

The Ending
We all know EVA has two endings, but I am going to compare the TV ending here. This may be the part where I am the least "objective", since my feelings about this are quite strong. Forgive me.
So, EVA has a fucked-up ending, totally changing the visual storytelling, or even not telling a story at all. It is by no means a "fitting conclusion", since that would mean answering some questions. However, it does what the series focused on, earlier, too, only in an extreme way: Exploring the character's minds (and reducing the cast greatly). I did understand the last two episodes halfway through the second one - when I thought that this is what's happening inside you when the HIP kicks in (horrible sentence, sorry). EVA's ending is different. It is interesting. It made me think and it made me cry.
RahXephon's ending is more like End of Evangelion: It shows what happens, too, but in the world. The last few episodes accomplished a lot too, I think, but it ultimately fails.
The feeling of "leave" was great when Haruka and her sister are boarding the ship. I thought they were going to reduce the cast, which they had done throughout the last few episodes.
Sadly, they throw some characters together in spoiler[a house with the creator of RahXephon who lives forever.] That was just so unbelievable. I felt they were basically pulling story elements out from thin air - a thing you can do, but certainly not to answer crucial questions. His explanations were plain ridiculous, I think.
The fight between spoiler[Ayato and Quon] was, I think, too long and somehow not fitting. I also thought the mecha designs were based on a good idea, but rather silly.

As you can see, I totally failed on the ending. Maybe someone else can do that better :/

My views of the mecha/dolem designs, the use of Von Bahbem, the final battle etc all virtually match yours.
As for RahXephon's ending being like that of EoE, it's certainly true with respect to the fact it actually shows what's happening to the world, but lacked the harrowing imagery and concepts that made Eva so ultimately hideous and memorable.
The decision to spoiler[reset the world to bring about a happy ending] was perhaps not what I was expecting, but it was little compared to the almost traumatic impact that spoiler[something no individual could ever want to happen to humanity] had on me courtesy of Eva.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Labbes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Just out of interest and becasue it bugged me the most about Rahxephon, can you explain the seeming lack of emotion from Ayato after spoiler[the death of Asahina]. He simply goes back and gets on with life from what i see. It was instances like this where he goes back to normal life as if nothing happened that makes me say that sometimes I think Ayato as a charater is un emotional.

Some time ago, someone I barely knew died at my school. Reactions of people can be quite different, you see. Some cry, some don't. However, most people seek to talk to someone about it - if I remember correctly, Ayato does not talk to anyone about that, so his feelings cannot gush out. You might think this means he's unemotional, but I think this is more like an endogene sorrow.
Ikari1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Reactions of people can be quite different, you see. Some cry, some don't. However, most people seek to talk to someone about it - if I remember correctly, Ayato does not talk to anyone about that, so his feelings cannot gush out. You might think this means he's unemotional, but I think this is more like an endogene sorrow.

Thats fair enough then, I can see what you mean; He isnt given an opputunity to voice his emotions . I will say that the last 6 episodes of rahxphon more than makes up for the dissapointment i felt with the rest of the series. Every epsiode from the point mentioned is just fantastic but that doesnt mean the rest of the series was as engaging. I've never seen anything quite so disturbing or upsetting as the scene where spoiler[Ayato claims he is going to protect asahina and as he is fighting the golem....well you know what happens. That scene broke me slighty due to the way in which she writes notes as he is unknowingly killing her]. Its more disturbing than anything I've seen in a single Eva episode bar spoiler[Asuka's death in] EOE.

Rahxphon is a very good series but it does not; as it's supporters are claiming, have a constant flowing, cohesive plot. The first 10 episodes do nothing for me accept confuse. Its one of those situations where nothing will make sense unless you already know what is going on and watch over again. This is slightly simiilar to the way in which Eva has to be approached as a series but unlike Rahxephon, Eva does not confuse the most basic plot points such as who is good, and where they actually are in the world. These points will seem obvious to those who have seen it over again and who love the series but when watching for the first time I find Rahexphon to be confusing to the point where I'm so busy trying to digest what is going on with basic plot points that i cannot concentrate on character development and introduction.

My views and Stoic support of Eva are partially due to the fact that when i watched it and before i watched it, i had myself been suffering from serious depression. The themes it presents therefore, I find to be human and close to heart which is something that last night meant i nearly blew a gasket and threw my toys out of the pram with certain comments. Evangelion may not be as well thought out and planned as Rahxephon but it is certainly the more unique a series out of the two. It deals with issues not really explored in other anime. It also uses a huge variety of different cinematographic techniques such as the use of stills at the end. I dont see this variety in Rahxephon. It doesnt particularly matter to me that the plot flows better as I still find the quality of story telling, the atmoshpere and general execution of scenes within Evangelion to be more unique than anything I've seen before. This is something that I cannot say with conviction about Rahxphon with it's; to be frank, happy ever after ending for example. It was still effective and summed up more plot that evangelion's ending but was not as inventive as evangelion. The simple creativity and difference in style makes evangelion for me stand out more than Rahxephon even if it is managed better. Part of the appeal of evangleion is the way in which it bucks trends and goes out of the normal story telling boundries that I see attempted to be enforced within Rahxephon.

Evangelion might not be not be as good as Rahexphon to some people but you cannot take away the fact that it is very unique.

After saying all this, I suppose my views dont count as I'm the usual evangelion fanatic who wont admit any shortcomings about eva what so ever ( apparently). I disagree that the plot is a mish mash of ideas thrown together. It all makes sense to me but then thats because I've taken the time to watch it and understand it. Now with regards to the tabboo argument that no one is allowed to say tickity boo about Rahexphon borrowing from eva...It does and it does so alot during the end sequence, funnily enough borrowing from the so called pretentious philosophical crap scenes from the end of the series. Theres no escaping the fact the the series does borrow some inspiration from evangelion but although this doesnt in anyway affect my judgement of Rahexphon, I think people should bear the influence eva had on it in mind and think about what evangelion has actually done for many other series out there.

Dean
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, I warned you. I don't take criticism of my precious RahXephon lying down. By the way, post contains untagged Evangelion spoilers. Do not read unless you are "familiar" with said show.

Ikari1 wrote:
I've never seen anything quite so disturbing or upsetting as the scene where spoiler[Ayato claims he is going to protect asahina and as he is fighting the golem....well you know what happens. That scene broke me slighty due to the way in which she writes notes as he is unknowingly killing her]. Its more disturbing than anything I've seen in a single Eva episode bar spoiler[Asuka's death in] EOE.

What happened to Asahina was very sad. But disturbing? Please, don't be like this. It was not disturbing at all. In any event, Unit 01's (Dummy Plug) rampage against Bardiel is far, far worse. In fact, it was that "fight" which started to turn the censors against Gainax. For someone who claims they just re-watched EVA, you sure do miss a lot. Take off your rose-tinted glasses, and you will see how it is EVA that has the bulk of the graphic violence.

Ikari1 wrote:
Rahxphon is a very good series but it does not; as it's supporters are claiming, have a constant flowing, cohesive plot. The first 10 episodes do nothing for me accept confuse. Its one of those situations where nothing will make sense unless you already know what is going on and watch over again. This is slightly simiilar to the way in which Eva has to be approached as a series but unlike Rahxephon, Eva does not confuse the most basic plot points such as who is good, and where they actually are in the world. These points will seem obvious to those who have seen it over again and who love the series but when watching for the first time I find Rahexphon to be confusing to the point where I'm so busy trying to digest what is going on with basic plot points that i cannot concentrate on character development and introduction.

Okay, this is getting my blood pressure dangerously high. So I'll try to be as civil as possible here. I will admit that I needed another viewing to properly get my head around RahXephon's various aspects, like the character inter-relationships. Now, it does have a plot in the first ten episodes, and so does EVA. The plot is to save the world from continued Mu attacks. Not complicated on the surface, but still undeniably a plot. As for EVA, the plot is to save the world from successive Angel attacks. Not complicated on the surface, but still undeniably a plot.

With me so far? Okay, what really incenses me about your attitude is how you find RahXephon to be so confusing, and yet EVA to be so simple. Have you even, ah, watched EVA and RahXephon? Of course you have, but I'll give you a plot summary anyway to refresh your memory. Evangelion throws us into a war between a mysterious organisation called "Nerv" and a race of giant creatures known as "Angels". A young teenage boy is called upon by his father, who happens to lead Nerv, to fight against the Angels in giant Mechas known as "Evangelions", the only things capable of taking an Angel out. He is joined by two other pilots, and they fight Angels most episodes.

Sounds simple, doesn't it. Only because I left out all the weird complicating factors. For a start, in the first half of the series we have a whole lot of talk about "Second Impact", "Dead Sea Scrolls", "Blood Types", "Absolute Terror Fields", "N2 Bombs", "Synch Ratios", and "Adam". Then there is Rei appearing to Shinji in the first episode, the mystery of why Angels only attack Tokyo-3, Gendo's ulterior motives, Kaji's ulterior motives, what happened to Asuka's mother, why Rei is Rei, and what happened to Shinji's mother; that's only what I can be bothered to remember about the first few episodes. Then you have "Seele", "Third Impact", I could just go on and on and on.

My point is, you have previously accused (in a paragraph that you have since deleted I believe) that RahXephon was confusing because you didn't know why there were singing Dolems. Well, EVA is just as guilty. It raises a lot of questions in the first few episodes, and just gets more confusing thereafter (I never found out what Seele really wanted). I hardly think RahXephon is worse than EVA in this regard. As for RahXephon's plot being one of the worst explained you've ever seen (as you claimed in a previous post), that's a whole lot of hogswash, and you know it. I mean, for one thing, even assuming it is poorly explained, at least it attempts to (unlike EVA). All in all, you are attempting to make RahXephon look convoluted and confusing, while denying that EVA is subject to the same criteria. Because you know that when one applies the same criteria to EVA as done with RahXephon, EVA looks worse.

Ikari1 wrote:
My views and Stoic support of Eva are partially due to the fact that when i watched it and before i watched it, i had myself been suffering from serious depression. The themes it presents therefore, I find to be human and close to heart which is something that last night meant i nearly blew a gasket and threw my toys out of the pram with certain comments. Evangelion may not be as well thought out and planned as Rahxephon but it is certainly the more unique a series out of the two. It deals with issues not really explored in other anime. It also uses a huge variety of different cinematographic techniques such as the use of stills at the end. I don't see this variety in Rahxephon. It doesnt particularly matter to me that the plot flows better as I still find the quality of story telling, the atmoshpere and general execution of scenes within Evangelion to be more unique than anything I've seen before. This is something that I cannot say with conviction about Rahxphon with it's; to be frank, happy ever after ending for example. It was still effective and summed up more plot that evangelion's ending but was not as inventive as evangelion. The simple creativity and difference in style makes evangelion for me stand out more than Rahxephon even if it is managed better. Part of the appeal of evangleion is the way in which it bucks trends and goes out of the normal story telling boundries that I see attempted to be enforced within Rahxephon.

Here you actually admit that RahXephon sums up more plot than EVA (I underlined it). Which contradicts your assertion in a previous post, where you claimed (of RahXephon, and I quote) "The plot is one the worst explained that I've seen so far in a series."

By the way, you do realise that conventional boundaries for story-telling exist because they have been established from a long line of successes and failures from trial-and-error. EVA managed to go outside those boundaries and succeed, but only because it was novel at the time. If RahXephon had tried it, it would have been ostracised. Not that I would have wanted it to go down such a horrible path.

Ikari1 wrote:
Evangelion might not be not be as good as Rahexphon to some people but you cannot take away the fact that it is very unique.

Oh, it is very unique. Never said it wasn't. But being unique does not necessarily equal good, without a qualifier on what definition you are using for "unique". I've seen reviews of truly awful Anime, where the reviewer mentioned just how "unique" the series/movie/OVA was.

Having said that, I like EVA. I think it's the most influential Anime of our time (and perhaps all time). I just think that RahXephon deserves credit for being better, because I believe it is.

Ikari1 wrote:
After saying all this, I suppose my views don't count as I'm the usual evangelion fanatic who wont admit any shortcomings about eva what so ever ( apparently). I disagree that the plot is a mish mash of ideas thrown together. It all makes sense to me but then thats because I've taken the time to watch it and understand it. Now with regards to the tabboo argument that no one is allowed to say tickity boo about Rahexphon borrowing from eva...It does and it does so alot during the end sequence, funnily enough borrowing from the so called pretentious philosophical crap scenes from the end of the series. Theres no escaping the fact the the series does borrow some inspiration from evangelion but although this doesnt in anyway affect my judgement of Rahexphon, I think people should bear the influence eva had on it in mind and think about what evangelion has actually done for many other series out there.

Well, you are an EVA fanatic. You all but admitted it two paragraphs ago. What gets me is, I am a RahXephon fanatic and consider myself open to argument. You just make general statements (like RahXephon has no cohesive plot), or statements that are so ridiculously biased (like the bit about the dolems) that expose just how close-minded you are.

You see "faults" in one (like how disturbing RahXephon supposedly gets, if you want disturbing, watch Elfen Lied or Grave of the Fireflies). And yet you fail to see the same faults (but done worse) in another.

I did warn you, I really did. Whether or not we have a round two is up to you.
Elfen12

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Ikari1... it wasn't the fact that you are arguing, frankly i not only enjoy but commend you for being able to argue what with all the opposition forced upon you.

But re-reading your post, i think you recieved the worng idea here. In my post, i didn't show any signs of my thoughts regarding the two shows ( i thought i would get modded out here). Yet you somehow believe that i'm disagreeing here with you. Dissagreement in your arguement and disagreement in the way you're arguing are two differnet things, having little to do with each other, espeically in the point that i was trying to make. You provide great evidence, and it's obviuos that you fully understand both shows, you know their flaws, you can recognize them and so forth. But, with that knowledge, it's not like someone wants to see someone say "It speaks for itself". The fact that people are opposing it means that it doesn't speak for itself. (but i must admit, the way you can provide details and what not in your other posts i do indeed compliment you on)... Please though... do debate on.

-Elfen12- whew... i don't think dtm42 was kidding (when he said he would go into arguement, somehow i took it more as if he was giving off a warning to not start something than a challenge (even thoguh it wasn't really a challenge))
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 13