• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Itazura na Kiss.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gibbage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I was very pleased with this series. It TOTALLY broke the sterio-type anime I have been watching, and its a great change!

#1, none of the lovers died. Thank god! I had enough tear jerkers

#2, IT HAD A CONCLUSION! Again, im sick of anime's stopping in what seems like the middle!

#3, it went beyond just the high school years! So many anime's today concentrate on JUST high school.

This is one of the better anime's I have seen, and its going to be one of my faves for a very long time. Such a very nice story, and even better knowing its the completion of someone's life work.

As for Ep.25, time will only tell.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:13 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I'm interested, does anyone know where in the storyline the manga stops?

Just about when they find out that Kotoko spoiler[is pregnant], I think. I haven't watched 24 yet, but all I can say is that I'm excited to finally see an ending. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
So ep 25 was a "flashback" episode, but to me it felt like filler crap, because it really served no purpose, probably only to fill a time slot. I guess the writers just couldn't do anything better and made up their own background, which to me really does feel like an insult to the original author, since I doubt she had any of this down before her passing.

As far as ratings, I think I was being really generous with a So-so rating. My primary reasons being that it was really weak as far as romance anime, and only occasionally entertaining as far as a slice-of-life anime. I felt like the story wasn't very fresh or original, I think we can all agree that there are dozens of anime out there with the logical and emotional character pairing, where one is not suited for the other but works really hard to make the other fall in love with them. Its just a really familiar theme for me and for this anime to be the best in that category it needed to do a lot more. Also as far as artistic style and score, it was just plain and ordinary, so nothing about this anime really stands out. Overall I don't feel it was a waste of my time but it definitely could have been a lot better.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote
ShadowTrader wrote:
So ep 25 was a "flashback" episode, but to me it felt like filler crap, because it really served no purpose, probably only to fill a time slot. I guess the writers just couldn't do anything better and made up their own background, which to me really does feel like an insult to the original author, since I doubt she had any of this down before her passing.

Well, that actually did happen in the manga... It did feel kind of "off" at the end, though. I wonder why they couldn't fit it in there earlier?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShadowTrader

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
I wonder why they couldn't fit it in there earlier?

Probably because it would make no sense to have a flashback episode in the middle of a storyline, so they just decided to tack it on at the end because they needed to fill the time slot.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:53 am Reply with quote
I think they put it here so they could show the family going back to visit and have both visits side by side, which couldn't have happened earlier because then they would have had to reveal the daughter earlier.

However, I'm not sure it really was the best move. I'm sure there were lots of other little plots that they could have used for another episode, and then they would have been able to end on the high of the ep 24's storyline.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote
The reason why it ended like it did is probably because the manga artist who created it died in a car accident I think before she finished it, and the only ending that was known was what she told her husband. Though I also did hear that the anime was to have the unfinished manga's desired ending...

I'm just repeating what I probably got off from here, you can look back in the archives to look for the article.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote
The reason why it ended like it did is probably because the manga artist who created it died in a car accident I think before she finished it, and the only ending that was known was what she told her husband. Though I also did hear that the anime was to have the unfinished manga's desired ending...

I'm just repeating what I probably got off from here, you can look back in the archives to look for the article.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Yes, we know that. The mangaka died in a house accident (IIRC, she fell and hit her head on a table or something). And yes, the ending was what the mangaka had told her husband was how she planned to end it.

But we are assuming that what she told him was what I'm going to call the actual true ending, which was the second to last episode.

It's the fact that they chose to do the last episode the way they did it that is unusual, since so much of it is done in flashback. I think it would have fit in better if they had shown that visit in earlier episodes, and then had the family go to visit them later.

If that is how the mangaka planned to end the series, I would also question her reasoning, since it just seems very out of place. And the anime creators are clearly aware of this, because the preview for the last episode included the characters wondering what the heck was going on and why 25 wasn't the end.
LKK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I have heard manga readers say that the bulk of ep 25 -- the events in the flashback -- was included in the manga in its proper chronological place in the story's timeline, about a year after their marriage.
demonroach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
The ending episodes just became more and more rediculous and ultimately ruined the series.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Oh come on, it's not that bad. It actually fits with some of the crazier time issues, since we frequently skipped a fair number of years at a time.

It just wasn't as effective as it could have been and was a poor choice on someone's part.
saikano75

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
so far this is the only anime i have seen that shows the main leads up to their marriage and first child. but i so love the anime and i put Naoki on my top anime cutie list Embarassed
anyways the whole anime is cute and romantic, i do think chris is crazy for marrying kinnosuke and i was so pissed off when she told Kotoko that she has bad taste in men! Twisted Evil
but i really loved episodes 17-19 when Keita was trying to be there for Kotoko because he thought that Naoki didn't love her. gosh it was so intense! oh and Non-chan was so cute when he got older, he looks good with blonde hair.
and Kotomi is so cute i think its cute how she and her mom competes for Naoki's affection. now correct me if im wrong but didn't Kotomi say in the 24th episode that she was going to marry her dad? i think that was funny and cute!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10