• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
nobahn wrote:
Well, color me surprised by your eclectic taste! You gave both Hellsing Ultimate and Haibane Renmei a 10/10 score?! Incredible!

Do you find it so surprising that both of these are considered 10s or that DG rated both of them as 10 or that anyone would watch and like both?

I'm curious because I rated them both Masterpiece in my own ANN list.
My apologies for not getting back to this sooner.
Quote:
that DG rated both of them as 10
This.

I thought that that I had DuelGundam2099's tastes accurately pegged.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
It's almost like I tell people I'm a relativist and nobody believes it. Razz As for Monster, with ep 13, it wasn't bad filler necessarily, but it further nails up the coffin of the "Johan's presence can be felt every episode!" meme that has to die. Then there is Angelic Layer at ep 7 which seems to be ending this first tournament and go into the next one. "but Duel, shouldn't you also be doing an Akame ga Kill episode too?" Well I spoiled myself by lurking in a thread on /a/ with spoilers and it seems like Leona lasts into the last episode............

I can only tolerate dreadful fan service amazon characters for so long. So yeah, I'm just going to marathon Angelic Layer and put the other two series on hold for the time being so I can watch other stuff like stuff that aired last year and this year! Like that Revolutionary Concrete and Active Raid! I was going to do Aijin, but then you see on MAL/AniDB all those OVA spinoffs and stuff. Kind of the same reason I thought of taking on JoJo, Fist of The North Star, and Yamada and The 7 Witches. What? I didn't mention that one in my murmurings? nobahn has a point, you guys really don't know much about me. Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:18 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
...it further nails up the coffin of the "Johan's presence can be felt every episode!" meme that has to die.

I was going to do Aijin, but then you see on MAL/AniDB all those OVA spinoffs and stuff.

I think the meme has already died, since you're the first and only person I've ever heard say it. Smile If that's really a meme somewhere, stop frequenting those places.

I recommend Ajin though. The first two OVA movies were the precursors to the 1st season of the series, and were essentially identical, except for a few scenes that didn't really matter. Just watch the series. I assume the next two movies are the same for the 2nd season. Other than those, I'm unaware of other "spinoffs" or whatever. Enlighten me?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
Amaama to Inazuma - 01
An anime about a single guy and his child. It's got the Disney premise of the mother is history (so common its disturbing) so the father and child must make due.

I balled like a baby. They nailed Tsumugi's dub. Where is momma, and the "niku" feel.... sealed the deal for me. This is a series I will be following. Everything is right with this show.

Bananya 01
Cut it out... A cat bananana?

I love it. Ba Na NYA Banana Cat.....
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If that's really a meme somewhere, stop frequenting those places.

First place I recall it was Jesse Otaku's top 20 anime villains list, maybe even Anime America's. If I think something is a normie meme I'm not afraid to test it out.
Quote:
Enlighten me?

Where do I start in this mess?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
That doesn't sound like a "meme," just a bit of hyperbole. I know you take everything literally, but c'mon.

Just watch Ajin (13 episodes) and Ajin 2nd season (when it comes out). All the rest are movie versions of almost exactly the same material, and as far as I know, only the first movie even has any English subs.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:05 pm Reply with quote
^Thanks and noted.

Took marathoning over the past couple of days, but I finally finished Battle Doll Angelic Layer. Don't you just love it when episodes decide to have random breaks in the plot like dates and beach vacations for no reason in a barely developed setting? How about how there are barely any established rules in your tournament series (whips are illegal, but manipulating magnets to form barriers is okay!), dolls inexplicably growing wings, hit point detection fluctuates to the point of hindering the ending, and not explaining how environments change when it was previously established these arenas are just flat surfaces? How do dolls sink in non-existent water? Boy did scientist guy's charm eventually wear off and come across as a mean guy bullying his employee. I was going to bring up how Misaki's fickle mom makes her probably a worse parent than Gendo from NGE, but at least the last three eps focused on that. Then there is random yuri pandering in the last episode courtesy of Tomoko (why? this isn't a romance story, she had no romantic interests, and it comes out of left field; Zegapain had a similar moment in the penultimate episode at random, but that was final battle extinction level time). Take Gundam Build Fighters Try, remove half the budget, remove the in-jokes and Gundam legacy, take away Tryon 3 and Beargguy F, and that is Angelic Layer. Was it bad? No, it was just okay. Really, really okay. The ending wasn't bad though and I did like the actions scenes. I'd talk about the side characters except they barely have anything to them aside from running jokes stomped into the ground.

So next time? Time for a meme from /m/ I will gladly test out. Yes, this one.

The mods aren't dead, but I'm posting Ginguiser anyway. Who else but a high ranking /m/an would qualify for reviewing supposed infamy? Cool
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Don't you just love it when episodes decide to have random breaks in the plot like dates and beach vacations . . .

Actually yes, I do love it.**
That probably helps to explain why I have been watching so many harem comedies recently.
Two days ago I finished Heaven's Lost Property + Forte. Before that was Mayo Chiki and before that Cat Planet Cuties.

Right now I am taking a break from the harems with Girls und Panzer TV. I will have to watch the OVAs next to get a beach episode.

I have also slowly been watching Fate/Stay Night at the rate of one episode every day or two, except that I think that it has now been three days since I watched episode seven. I am enjoying it just barely enough to keep me watching, which is a bit annoying. I probably would have dropped it already if not for Saber, and Rin, who kept me interested long enough for Saber to show up.
I still do not know if I will finish it.

**I also like to answer rhetorical questions Wink .

Last edited by Touma on Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
^

I recommend just forcing your way through if you haven't seen UBW or Fate/Zero yet. The experience of watching both is enhanced with this first viewing, even if 2006 F/SN is very poorly paced, written, and executed.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
@louis6578
Thank you for the advice.

I did finally watch episode 8 of Fate/stay night. I actually enjoyed it a bit more than most of the previous episodes, so I plan to keep watching.
It looks like the show is getting serious about building a harem element. If nothing else it will be interesting to see what they do with that. But mostly I am concerned with how violent it will get. So far a lot has been talked about but little has been shown.

I finished Girls und Panzer TV. This is definitely very high on my list of "feel good" shows, and general favorites.
I just watched the first OVA episode and should finish the rest of them soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
^
Episode 8 is my most re-watched episode in the series and, until episode 0 of Unlimited Bladeworks, my most re-watched in the whole franchise. It has my favourite scene:

Do it, Rin. Do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
@louis6578
Thank you for the advice.

I did finally watch episode 8 of Fate/stay night. I actually enjoyed it a bit more than most of the previous episodes, so I plan to keep watching.
It looks like the show is getting serious about building a harem element. If nothing else it will be interesting to see what they do with that. But mostly I am concerned with how violent it will get. So far a lot has been talked about but little has been shown.

I finished Girls und Panzer TV. This is definitely very high on my list of "feel good" shows, and general favorites.
I just watched the first OVA episode and should finish the rest of them soon.

Well, now that I know you didn't already see the other entries in the Franchise, might I recommend taking a break from the Fate aspect after this series to check out The Garden of Sinners franchise? It isn't for everyone (you need to pay constant attention or you'll definitely get lost on the whole thing), but it's worth checking out. I'd say it's the best thing Nasu has ever written on his own (so, basically only second to Fate/Zero).

Don't expect much with the harem element. I don't want to spoil anything, but this show pulls off a very well-done version of what to do if you're adapting a dating sim visual novel. You choose one girl. Saber is this show's heroine, Rin is the main girl for UBW, and Sakura will be the main girl for Heaven's Feel. Granted, Rin still gets some moderate level of importance in this version.

So far, each Fate series is guilty of having most of its plot occur in the second half (Fate/Stay Night 2006, UBW, and Fate/Zero). However, this series is the one where it meanders most in the first half. In Fate/Zero, no fight goes by without some important development or reveal occurring (a character death, a major NP being known to everyone, a permanent injury/handicap being invoked). In UBW, these things developed Rin's trust of Shirou or helped Shirou develop his projection abilities. In 2006? Harem comedy filler. Neutral
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote
@Touma

Just my opinion, but Rin is the best character in the entire series. Wink

@DuelGundam2099

As I understand it, Scientist Guy from Angelic Layer is also the creator of the CHOBITS including Chee.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Touma

Just my opinion, but Rin is the best character in the entire series. Wink

It is still too early for me to make a choice between her and Saber, but I definitely do like Rin. She is the main reason why I am still watching Fate/stay night.
Early in the show I thought that I would like Sakura, but I just could not get interested in her. There are hints that indicate that she might become significant later, but so far she has not really done anything except cook.

Edited to fix a typo.

Last edited by Touma on Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
@Touma

Sakura is basically a limp rag of a person. Illya is a giggling psychopath. Saber in the show you are watching is much too ridged, more of an ideal than a real person. Rin, assuming you had the intellect and energy to keep up with her, would be a fun person to live with. With her you would have an interesting life, possibly short, but interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 912 of 1062