• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spawn29

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
I watch Lily C.A.T. last night for Halloween and I remember seeing this anime as a kid on the Sci-Fi channel like 20 years ago. I remember seeing the part where the Cat transforms and I end up turning off the TV. This anime gives me nightmares as a five year old kid. How does Lily C.A.T. hold up on its own? Well, this anime is nothing too special.

The animation is not bad for a 1987 film, but it could have looked better (Seeing that horror anime like Wicked City, Devilman: The Birth and Urotsukidouji had better looking animation that same year). I do think the cat design looked cool and the background art is very well detailed.

I do like the music and the atmosphere was pretty suspenseful. The characters are one-dimensional and the plot is pretty much Alien, John Carpenter’s The Thing and even bit of influences from 2001: A Space Odyssey. I didn't care for any of the characters and the plot was predictable from start to finish.

I watch the English dub because that's how I first saw the movie as a kid and I wanted to do something nostalgic for Halloween. The voice acting is not too bad, very cheesy by today's standers. For a dub produced over 20 years ago, I think it's an okay dub. I give credit for Mike Reynolds as Captain Mike Hamilton because I felt like he play the role very well. Everyone else in the dub sound meh.

Overall, Lily C.A.T. is an average film at best. The whole movie was pretty forgettable from start to finish. I can only recommend it to people if they 80's anime or cheesy B movies. There are better Horror anime out and you can skip this one. Go watch Alien or John Carpenter’s The Thing instead. If you do like this anime, buy it in your local bargain bin for $5. Don't waste buying it for $15-$20 on Amazon or Right Stuf Anime. Grade: C-

Last edited by Spawn29 on Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I started Seraph of the End's second cour, Battle of Nagoya or whatever. It was alright at first, but I stopped at episode 21 for now, which was the emotional highlight thus far. I like the vampire noble with the two henchwomen (of whom, I think the purple-haired vampire girl is total waifu material), and Guren's decision to be left behind was awesome and noble. He really reminds me of Roy Mustang, pretending to be a heartless commander and gaining the Main Character's scorn for being a supposedly pompous jerk.

Mika and Yuu themselves are perhaps the most irritating part of the series as individuals. Yuu for his shounen hero illness of wanting to ignore logic to do the badass/heroic thing (and hating anyone who doesn't want to do the same suicidal jackass plan), and Mika for believing all the humans are evil except Yuu and that they're all using Yuu despite all logic saying otherwise (especially since he was human himself). Despite being the most annoying thing about the show as individuals, they're saved by their connection with each other. And, if you ask me, Mika confronting Yuu's new family in episode 21 and being forced to acknowledge that their care for him is genuine was the best scene in the anime so far. I look forward to seeing more, despite the fact that a lot of this show is kind of standard and generic.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Project A-ko - I remember watching this anime when I was seven years old back in 1998. I remember seeing this anime on the Sci-Fi channel and it was around the time when I was starting to know what anime was. How does Project A-ko hold up on its own? Project A-Ko holds up very well with the animation and humor.

The plot is pretty simple and does not make a whole lot of sense, but that's makes pretty much what makes this movie such a fun ride. This anime is filled with over the top humor that made me laugh hard nonstop. The characters are memorable and likable. This anime has a great cast of characters and all of them are funny. This anime is a parody of all the classic anime between the 60s and 80s, but you don't need to watch those classic titles to enjoy Project A-ko.

The animation is very good from a movie that was released 30 years ago. The animation is very colorful and has a lot of great detail. The combat choreography is also fantastic too. All of the fight scenes are not boring to watch and all of the fight scenes will have you on the edge of your seat. The music is also fantastic as well.

The English dub is done pretty well seeing that the hammy voice acting really works for the humor and story in my opinion. One of the better dubs from Manga Entertainment UK in my opinion. I would say that my biggest issue with the film is that the villains are rather shallow.

Overall, Project A-ko is hilarious to watch from start to finish. I recommend this movie to anyone who likes 80's anime and wacky comedy. Grade: B+
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
So... after rewatching some of the original Tenchi Muyo OVAs, I have to say that I prefer Universe overall, even if we're not counting the 2003 reboot. I dunno. While the characters were more fleshed out and interesting in the OVAs, the TV show simplifying them never ruined them. While the conflict with Kagato was certainly a high point, and better in the OVA than the TV series, it happens too early, only to be followed by inconsequential (but occasionally interesting or emotional) episodes with zero dramatic stakes to them. It has the Haruhi Suzumiya Chronological Order problem. The introduction is essentially the best part, only to be followed by lighthearted episodes that, while revealing some things (particularly in Washu and Sasami's cases), probably should have come beforehand in order to make the Kagato fight a nice climax.

That aside, they never choose to give us a flashback episode detailing the events that make certain characters who they are. Yosho ditching Jurai to live on Earth and sealing Ryoko? Ryoko's attack on Jurai? Her personal beef with Ayeka? Washu's entire life (including apparently creating Ryoko)? Never gone into in depth.

I feel like if they went into Tenchi's original series with a beginning, middle, and ending planned, it could have worked better. Season One of the OVAs feels like it had a structure planned out, but season 2 certainly didn't feel like it knew where it was going. I love the characters and could watch their shenanigans (if kept to the quality of the original OVAs) forever. But Universe, while not as good as the best of Ryo-Ohki, keeps consistent quality and pacing. It's like what they said on ANNcast about Evangelion vs Rahxephon.

On the one hand, if we were to graph it out, Tenchi Muyo: Ryo Ohki would be like this, (9, 8, 6, 8, 10, 10, 4, 7, 6, 5, 9, 5) but Universe would just be a consistent 7 or 8 throughout.

Plus Kiyone is one of the best characters in the franchise and only appears in Universe's continuity. If you ask me, she makes Mihoshi tolerable.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
I would say that my biggest issue with the film is that the villains are rather shallow.

Well, Project A-Ko was about as deep as its character designs were modest. Everyone who enjoys that film can agree that earnest and thorough characterisations wouldn't have suited any of its roles. It relishes in the simple and acerebral, and is all the better for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Got to episode 22 of Tenchi in Tokyo. I heard rumors that Guantanamo Bay was showing inmates Tenchi in Tokyo as part of an interrogation method to make them talk. I also heard that in some countries, showing Death Row inmates the anime is a form of execution.

Seriously though, the few good scenes in this show, like Ayeka's struggle to live without Tenchi or the rest of her harem of buddies, are genuinely good scenes. Great even. I wish they had been in a better Tenchi anime. However, the show meanders so much until finally getting to its occasionally serious parts over half way through the series.

As a 3 episode OVA, I have to say Tenchi in Tokyo is great! Too bad it's a 26 episode television series with about 5 episodes of actual content! Ugh... But lets talk about how they ruined the girls.

So, Tenchi is a little more assertive and worrying than his other counterparts. This is a good change, I guess, as it gives him more personality than making him a blank face for a viewer to wear. The rest of the main characters are either ruined or not focused on. Yosho/Katsuhito BARELY even shows up (and when he does, he's voiced by Bob Papenbrook, who also voices Tenchi's dad anyway, as if the dub staff honestly forgot they were two different people). Sasami isn't really ruined either, but again, she rarely does anything. And Mihoshi is her same stupid self (if they managed to make her any dumber, I think I'd be more impressed than anything).

Kiyone, one of the best things about Tenchi Universe, went from the voice of reason, relatable character (the Twilight Sparkle of the group, if you will), to becoming a horrible, promotion chasing monster with ZERO care for anyone but herself. Washu occasionally seems to be trying to murder everyone with her inventions (she invented a camera that shoots death rays and tried to take a group photo with it). Ayeka is just as bad and sex-crazed as Ryoko (and resorts to THREATENING Washu into letting her use the device that transports them to Tenchi's new place (which I am disappointed in Washu for even making)). Ryoko... oh lord. How did they ruin her so badly!? In both the original OVAs and Tenchi Universe, her relationship with Tenchi is easily one of the easiest to support.

Here!? She actually made me uncomfortable watching her in episode... 3 or 4. She essentially molested Tenchi. I'm not making this up. She molested Tenchi. She forced both of them under the blanket while saying things like "Oh, you like it rough! You know how to treat a girl!" All the while, Tenchi is whining out "No! Get off! Don't touch me!" This is played for laughs. Ryoko is not a comic relief antagonist like Shampoo from Ranma 1/2, nor is she a villain with a sick attraction to our hero like Yuno Gasai or Yukako from DiU. Ryoko is the face of the franchise next to Tench himself! Remember how in the original OVAs, she watched Tenchi grow up and wanted so badly to comfort him in her non-corporeal form after his mother passed away? Remember how in Tenchi Universe, she has a supposed death scene fighting the villains so that Tenchi can save Ayeka, even though she hates Ayeka and would rather have her out of the way? How can you mess up a character this badly?! I feel more uncomfortable watching this molestation scene than I do watching Ryoko drag Tenchi into the girls' bath house in the OVAs, because I can at least smile and pass it off as Ryoko wanting to be playful in her own way. It's forced, but harmless. Tenchi in Tokyo Ryoko is awful.

The worst part is that Tenchi seems to actively want to get away from his harem from the start, as though he disliked their presence all along. This would be fine if it was built up to, but... I'm guessing this is supposed to come directly after Tenchi Universe (despite most of their backstories and first meetings with Tenchi being FREAKING RETCONNED). Tenchi Universe had an emotionally satisfying ending. Tenchi went back to Earth without the girls, but felt empty and sad without their presence bringing adventure to his life. Get that? Despite how much trouble they can be at times, Tenchi would rather be with his harem than without them. When Ryoko comes back near the end, he's immediately cheered up, especially when Ryoko assures him that the rest of the girls are close behind. Tenchi may not like them romantically, but he considers these girls as much family as Luffy does with his Straw Hat Pirate Crew.

In Tenchi in Tokyo... no such thing. He hates them. Get rid of them. Get them away from me. No! Seriously!? This is probably worse than Ryo-Ohki 3, in my opinion. I don't know if it's the worst in the franchise (I haven't seen GXP yet), but I do know that I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. It has potential. If it was remade into a short movie or OVA series, cutting out all the fluff and making the comedy actually funny, I might say it's worth a watch. But as it is...? No.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:58 am Reply with quote
My Anime & Manga club at my community college, did a movie day and we watch Summer Wars, Millennium Actress and the original Appleseed movie from 1988. Summer Wars is still a great film with amazing animation and good characters. Not much I can say about it that has not been said by everyone else. Summer Wars get a B+.

Millennium Actress is amazing movie and I'm surprise it took me so long to see this movie. Satoshi Kon makes near perfect movies in my opinion and I feel like this movie is as good as his other movies that I've seen (Perfect Blue and Tokyo Godfathers). Fantastic animation that still looks amazing even 15 years later. I admit that the non-linear characteristic can be confusing at times, but everything else in this movie was amazing. It's too bad the movie didn't get any Oscar buzz in 2001. While I like Spirited Away, but I do think Millennium Actress was the best animated movie of 2001. Overall, Millennium Actress is fantastic if you never seen it. Millennium Actress gets a A+

The 1988 Appleseed is a pretty enjoyable movie and I like it over the 2004 remake. I haven't seen the original movie since I was a kid when it was on TV over 15 years ago. I don't think both Appleseed movies are great movies, but I like the characters better in the 1988 film. The character relationship between Deunan Knute and Braireos was done better in my opinion compare to the 2004 remake. I also find the villains in the original film to be more interesting than the villains in the 2004 remake.

I also enjoy the music a lot in the original and the animation is pretty good for its time. The original movie may be cheesy and has some goofy humor which is why I like it. Masamune Shirows manga from the 1980's are known to be light-hearted and campy from what I can remember.

Overall, the original Appleseed movie is a fun movie and is worth checking out if you like cyberpunk films from the 1980s. The original Appleseed movie gets a B.
ZakkyMatt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:24 am Reply with quote
I'm watching Kuroko no Basket, It's quite good, I mean, I'm not very far into it so it's hard to say whether it's good or bad from the 5 episodes I've watched. My best friend keeps telling me how good it is but I really can't get into it. I also just finished Black Bullet, and I really disliked the ending.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:38 pm Reply with quote
While Tenchi in Tokyo was awful, after rewatching the original OVA series up to episode 7, I realize that it meanders too much. It remains consistently entertaining and fun to watch, but it gets rid of its main villain, Kagato, too early. From episode 7 onward, it's just random sidestories and learning more about the girls.

It's like how Haruhi is just pointless fluff after episode 6 in chronological order. Tenchi would be better if Kagato came at the end, but then Washu's existence in the other stuff would feel odd.

The best way to describe it is probably that the OVAs' first season are kind of a rough draft for a finished product that is Tenchi Universe.

On a better note, I just finished Only Yesterday. It was a great movie, though not my personal cup of tea (like most Ghibli movies). It doesn't really have a plot and just shows the day to day lives of the characters and the main character's relatable childhood. The lessons are great and mature past what most life lesson TV shows would teach (such as the realistic portrayal of kids being immature about sexual education, a parent not supporting their child's dreams, awkward childhood crushes being portrayed as a sweet, but passing phase rather than TRUE LOVE, etc.). I feel like this movie is doing what a kids show like Arthur or a show like The Wonder Years tries show hard to do, but does it well without trying too hard. Honestly, in terms of objective quality, this could very well range anywhere from Very Good to Masterpiece and beyond depending on your tastes. I settled for Very Good, since I enjoyed it, but I don't think it has the same rewatch value to me as, say, Whisper of the Heart. Better than Kiki, but I'm more into an adventurous tale or, if it chooses to be realistic, a more daring take on life, like BECK or Welcome to the NHK.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I did it! No, this isn't a positive thing.... ok, so I admit, I watched Boku no Pico and it is as bad as everyone says it is. Not even in a fun Garzey's Wing or Genma Wars way, it's just horrendous. I won't say anything explicit but noooooo, it's just don't even if you're curious and just burn this damn thing and turn the dust into atoms and dump it in the furthest corners of space and time.
Ok, so with a good yaoi, there will be character development and relationship development (and plot development, if applicable), here, it's just awkward sex scene after awkward sex scene. These scenes are made more clearly awkward by Pico being like 10 and the guy being like, early 30s. There is mosaic, but it doesn't make you feel any less dirty for watching it as you still basically know what's going on anyway. Also, dude, it's a child! You are having sex with a damn child! When showing a 30 something dude spying on a naked boy (wringing his clothes out) on the beach is the least creepy part of your OVA, you have serious problems.
Also, the terrible opening song just loved showing butt shots. If I have told you it was a character from Keijo!!!!!!!!, you probably would've believed me.

I had heard the stories, and I can confirm, they are true. I mean, I guess on the plus side, the OVA would've been just as terrifying is it had been a little girl instead of a little boy (who looks like a little girl), so umm.... score 1 for gender equality in hentai?
I need some cat love to make me feel better now.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:50 am Reply with quote

I am sorry you had to endure that, classicalzawa. With some titles, we should simply accept their infamy at face value and let that be that.

Yesterday I watched the first episode of Serial Experiments Lain. As an experience in visual directing it is almost unparalleled—the sort of poise that may grace a typical anime once or twice throughout its entire run is resplendent here in each and every cut. There is something so crisp and deathly about its images, contrasts, deafeningly hollow character interactions and uneasy gazes. For me to do so much as to state that it depicts a story about the intersection between suicide and online culture is to do the show a disservice, as there is so much else to savour besides mere plot for the keen viewer. Directorial craft of this magnitude either peters out or creates a pinnacle within its genre, so I wait with bated breath to see if subsequent episodes can be nearly as resonant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Video Girl Ai was a surprisingly good anime. A refreshing take on love-triangles and the Magical Girlfriend genre. I don't wanna spoil too much, but I do love how, despite the fact that the girl the main character likes didn't get with the guy she wanted, the main character respects her feelings enough to not ask her out while she's suffering from a broken heart. I am able to appreciate the fact that the main protagonist isn't just a Tenchi-esque guy with generic features. He's average, sure, but he's a proactive, nice person who can be pushed to the limits of his patience. The Magical Girlfriend in question is also a great character. She's basically a "Wafiu come to life," yet she isn't. I think that sentence perfectly sums up her character.

The twists at the end are either jarring or an interesting take on how healthy using a fictional woman for comfort really is to an otaku, but either way, I loved it. The English Dub was pretty crusty, but I always like hearing Brad Swaile, so I tolerated it. Everyone else sounded dead, but Brad Swaile and whoever voiced Ai really nailed their parts.

I rate this either Good or Very Good, depending on whether you like when realistic stories turn dark and supernatural or not.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:40 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
The twists at the end are either jarring or an interesting take on how healthy using a fictional woman for comfort really is to an otaku, but either way, I loved it.

Did you not find the impromptu antagonist to dampen your enjoyment of VIdeo Girl Ai? It was as if an arrangement with such a potential to endear had itself been deemed insufficient to create narrative tension, leaving the task to an ad-hoc agency that deprived the story of much of its honesty. Romances such as Ocean Waves demonstrate how an effective emotional trial can be created in the absence of any identifiable conflict, something we should bear in mind when judging tactics such as that of this show.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
The twists at the end are either jarring or an interesting take on how healthy using a fictional woman for comfort really is to an otaku, but either way, I loved it.

Did you not find the impromptu antagonist to dampen your enjoyment of VIdeo Girl Ai? It was as if an arrangement with such a potential to endear had itself been deemed insufficient to create narrative tension, leaving the task to an ad-hoc agency that deprived the story of much of its honesty. Romances such as Ocean Waves demonstrate how an effective emotional trial can be created in the absence of any identifiable conflict, something we should bear in mind when judging tactics such as that of this show.

Yes and no. It's not as though they didn't build up to it subtly with the timer on the VCR, but still, the antagonist lacked any explanation or depth. I wish Ai only had to leave because her time was up, rather than because she was "defective" or whatever the hell that was. Still, I could appreciate what the series was trying to do and appreciate them for it. It's better than most "Magical Girlfriend" anime for sure. And I should know. I'm watching the original Oh My Goddess OVAs right now.

Video Girl Ai above Oreimo and Oh My Goddess in terms of writing and characters, but it's not quite up there with Anohana or Chobits.
Ây En

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I am watching naruto because I watched it 7 years ago and it was my first anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 932 of 1062