• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Christian Group Makes Manga to Curb Post-Quake Suicides

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:52 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
I thought Christians hated anime and manga?

... It's really no different from some adults or other groups of people hating [insert random thing].... why would you think specifically Christians would hate anime and manga? I can see parents not like anime and manga for the violence and fanservice in some series. Does that make them Christians? Even the Atheists?

They might get a bit upset cause Japan is more willing to take artistic liberties with Christian Lore but to connect that to the idea that Christians hate anime and manga in general? Your brain is wired in a very dangerous way my friend.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's probably not a fair thing to directly compare the stylings so strictly to much of what else we see out of Japan nowadays, because this has a scope that far out-reaches otaku, and thus the art style isn't trying to pander to or essentially crowd-source to otaku tastes (although there is definitely some real consideration for the audience taken here, considering that this is a manga in the first place.)

Things like this never reach the demographic that is being ripped off. Christian comics don't adequately replicate the style found in popular American comics and this manga is no better. Actually this attempt looks worse because there's a lot of proportional problems and joints that don't really bend that way.
Also we are talking about manga where millions up millions of peope in Japan enjoy it on a daily, you can save the otaku card for the late night niche anime.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:07 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:

Some use the for their own means, some ignore it, some just go flat out full baka over it.

Guess which ones make the most noise?
yu3lora

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:05 am Reply with quote
Oh! I hope and pray that they reach out the heart of the Japanese people. Well, for me, the artwork is not that bad. Then again, I hope I could join their group.. :p
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:27 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:

Some do some do not. I loved anime was I was a Christian, and I still love it even now as an atheist. Like anything even people in religion can enjoy it, be indifferent to it, or just be against it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
baadaku12345 wrote:
This is great news, glad to see some good hearted people are trying to keep spirits up in Japan. Kudos to them, I hope they make a difference. I'll pray for them.

Ditto.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
I thought Christians hated anime and manga
?
Huh?

I'm a devout Penocostal. I've been a Christian since 1994, and have been into Anime fandom for 10 years. Not only do I know several other Christians who are Otaku & Fujoshi, But I pray for both the R1 & R2 Industry weekly & met a well known voice actress who revealed to me she's a Christian.

I guess stereotypes are hard to ignore.
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I think someone's just trollin'.

On the flipside, I have no problem enjoying movies like Prince of Egypt or Joseph: King of Dreams even though I'm not a Christian. But then, both those movies were more informative than preachy, which goes a long way with me.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
It's one thing to make a manga with anti-suicidal themes, and it's another entirely to combat the myriad of issues that culminate into suicidal actions. What makes manga an effective force against suicidal individuals? Has it been used before with results? In any event, why choose manga over psychiatric treatment? Although the intent behind releasing this manga may be golden, I believe an organization taking it upon itself to exhert influence on what is a serious public health issue should be viewed with scrutiny. Especially when that organization is not (apparently) linked with any professional industry related to this issue.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote
When was the last time you saw a therapist in Japanese TV? The culture isn't very conducive to the idea of seeking professional help, so you get things like this.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
When was the last time you saw a therapist in Japanese TV? The culture isn't very conducive to the idea of seeking professional help, so you get things like this.

If you're implying there's no therapists in Japan, you're wrong. Just because there's no Japanese Dr. Phil or Jerry Springer doesn't mean therapists don't exist, just they're not attention seeking enough for a TV show.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
It's one thing to make a manga with anti-suicidal themes, and it's another entirely to combat the myriad of issues that culminate into suicidal actions. What makes manga an effective force against suicidal individuals? Has it been used before with results? In any event, why choose manga over psychiatric treatment? Although the intent behind releasing this manga may be golden, I believe an organization taking it upon itself to exhert influence on what is a serious public health issue should be viewed with scrutiny. Especially when that organization is not (apparently) linked with any professional industry related to this issue.

I don't think you understand the state of mental health affairs in Japan. Before the 90's, it was non-existent save for places to lock the "crazies" up in. There are a lot of very widely-held beliefs and superstitions about people with mental health issues, which is why people are very, very reluctant to admit to having them. I hope the manga reaches some people, but I have my doubts for the same reasons.

TitanXL wrote:
Polycell wrote:

If you're implying there's no therapists in Japan, you're wrong. Just because there's no Japanese Dr. Phil or Jerry Springer doesn't mean therapists don't exist, just they're not attention seeking enough for a TV show.

Sure there are therapists, but the general culture is very much against it. I mean some people complain about how mental health issues are stigmatized in the west, but it pales in comparison to the societal and peer-pressures against those who have mental health issues in Japan.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
In any event, why choose manga over psychiatric treatment?
Maybe because reading a comic doesn't have the same sort of baggage attached that going to a psychiatrist has? Maybe?

What makes manga an effective force against suicidal individuals?
The same thing that makes any fiction inspire people to change their lives. What in particular that is varies on a case-by-case basis, but it happens.
V1046-R

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote

I really don't see this as an attempt at amatuer armchair psychology, and put out as an alternative choice to that service. If we relied on only psychologists to talk someone off a ledge, we would have a lot more dead people out there.

I have personally been forced to intervene when someone I knew tried to off himself by swalling a bottle of painkillers to kill himself. It was a crazy scene where I literally had to put my fingers in his mouth & force him to spit out the pills, all the while he was trying to fight me off. Real severe situation that scared the sh*t out of me. I am no psychologist, so I suppose I should have just referred that person to a professional & walked away instead?
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they are doing this, as a Baptist who has grown up going to church all her lfie, I was worried about the sake of Japan, reading this lifts a huge boulder off my shoulder, I'll continue praying for the country as a whole but I will proudly support their efforts with this manga. And if it comes to the U.S I'll definently support the release of it! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3