• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best First Episode Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps it is because the images were never seared into farichada's mind that is the reason why they have not voted for it. If they did remember perhaps they would have voted for it. 'Tis unfortunate that they don't remember those scenes because the first episode of Bakemonogatari really is superb.

I noticed this a few days ago but I have seen one (and only one) nominee out of each of these four matchups. So I'm holding off voting till I watch the other four because otherwise I would just be voting based on what I know.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Eden of the East "I Picked Up A Prince"
vs.
Full Moon "I Want To Sing"

Viewing history: I initially watched the First Episode of Full moon back in 2008, I made the decision to buy, and stopped following, while preordering. I was extremely bitter until it all started steaming on Hulu.
Eden of the East: I owned, and recently re watched, the first ep.
Upon rewatching, the 1st episode for both, I was struck how moving Full Moon Was, and how Good Eden of the East was.

In the toughest choice of the first round, I go with Full Moon.

Group A-2
Bakemonogatari "Hitagi Crab: Part 1"
vs.
Skip Beat! "And The Box Was Opened"

Viewing history: First exposure to both.

First time on both. I have to lean heavily toward Skip Beat.
I liked Bakemonogatari, but overall. Skip Beat had a more entertaining and engaging 1st ep. Of the two I am more eager to continue watching Skip Beat.

Group A-3
His and Her Circumstances "Her Circumstances"
vs.
Last Exile "First Move"

Viewing history: Seen Both for awhile.
Recent reviews showed me my mini game is lost.
I horribly underestimated His and Her Circumstances quality.
From start to end this was top notch. The animation could stand a remaster, I was shocked how good it was for story such as it was.
Last exile was good, but it could not hold a candle to this.
Vote His and Hers Circumstances.

Group A-4
Azumanga Daioh “Child High School Student / She's a Prodigy / Scary Maybe? / Wildcat Tomo-chan! / The Osakan Gal”
vs.
Monster "Herr Doctor Tenma"

Viewing history: I have adored Azumanga Daioh for ages, but I have not rewatched the 1st episode in years.
Upon rewatches of both this proves to be another mini game killer for me.
All the charm of Azumanga's 1st episode is generated by becoming familiar with the characters in later episodes.
As it stands, the 1st episode is pretty tame. I had this making the semi finals in the mini game, and it can not beat monster.
Vote for Monster. Excellent first episode.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
Eden of the East
vs.
Full Moon

Voting For: Full Moon

Explanation: I've pretty much already said a mouthful in my support of Full Moon, so I won't reiterate the same old speil from before. Therefore, I want to reflect on what Spastic Minnow said about it being dark, particularly that's its an aspect that reveals some of the multilayered implications despite seemingly a cute sugar-sprinkled love comedy. The episode actually hints quite a bit about more complex subjects such as death, psychology, the human heart and other things. That's why the episode just doesn't fill you with emotion at the end its rather thought provoking that makes you want to stick with the series.

Group A-2
Bakemonogatari
vs.
Skip Beat!

Voting For: Bakemonogatari

Explanation: I admit I'm biased toward Bakemonogatari despite watching Skip Beat and not the former (yet), the most (un)obvious reason is that I'm a sucker for any show that uses Akio Watanabe's character designs. Fortunately this bias is justified by hearing mostly great things about the series yet from the impression it gives does not stand on any particularly striking merits. So I'd presume part of it's popularity is derived from a very impressive first episode that presents an intriguing cast of characters and a bizarre premise that progresses into something great. This and my impression from actually watching Skip Beat! Ep 1 which I found a bit on the disappointing side and didn't care to watch additional episodes... In short, makes this choice a no-brainer.

Group A-3
His and Her Circumstances
vs.
Last Exile

Voting For: His and Her Circumstances

Explanation: Put up against pretty much any 9 out of 10 OTHER contenders in this tournament, I'd vote for Last Exile. I love the story and the world it sucks you into, and has one of the best English dubs ever done for an anime, unfortunately His and Her's is the true powerhouse here. Gainax has a way with pulling off great first episodes and this is no exception. You know you're in for a great series with all sorts of comedic, romantic and wacky setups with a series about a girl who works hard to look like a prodigy falls in love with someone who really is a prodigy (even though at the end of the episode she says she only hates him, but it's clear where it's gonna lead).

Group A-4
Azumanga Daioh
vs.
Monster

Voting For: Azumanga Daioh

Explanation: Monster is too deep, complex and psychological to really benefit from a punch you in the face impressive first episode. A series like this just needs to set up the main character, introduce the setting and add a little intruige; just enough to get people already comitted to treating themselves to a very intricate, well-thought out story that comes from watching it to the end. I've never really been a big fan of Azumanga Daioh but agree the 1st episode shines with this character driven school comedy, and all the eccentricities that will make you fall in love with each one of the characters, except for Kimura-sensei of course.

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:

Voting For: Full Moon

Explanation: I've pretty much already said a mouthful in my support of Full Moon, so I won't reiterate the same old speil from before. Therefore, I want to reflect on what Spastic Minnow said about it being dark, particularly that's its an aspect that reveals some of the multilayered implications despite seemingly a cute sugar-sprinkled love comedy. The episode actually hints quite a bit about more complex subjects such as death, psychology, the human heart and other things. That's why the episode just doesn't fill you with emotion at the end its rather thought provoking that makes you want to stick with the series.

Well, maybe my problem is that I don't really believe the set-up has any gravity. And as she barely spares it a thought it's hard for me to do the same too and come to some empathetic realization that she's going through such a hard time.The impression I get is that it ultimately won't matter, rules be damned spoiler[the little girl won't die]. I could be wrong but the way I see it it's just another obstacle to overcome while she fulfills her dream of being a singer and maybe reconnecting with her "promise" boy. And ultimately I just figure the series will consist of her living her dreams in a fanciful way with characters that are , to me, only slightly more deep than your usual magic girl cast. "Good for its genre" just isn't good enough for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
vs.

Vote for: Eden of the East

The best way I can describe EotE is that it flows together beautifully. It's got great artistry, it's absurd without being ridiculous, and it puts together a story that I want to watch. On the other hand, Full Moon's first episode is kind of jarring. The girl is terminally ill, but the show kind of glosses over the implications of that in favor of "We need plot STAT!" I feel like I'm a few pieces short of a puzzle in understanding why she's reacting the way she is; normally you'd be a little more upset at being told you're going to die.

Group A-2
vs.

Vote for: Bakemonogatari

I wish Skip Beat was matched up against something else, because I really, really want to vote for it once. I was blown away by how well the end of the first episode was executed, and it's gone straight to the top of my CR queue. The problem is that Bakemonogatari has all of Skip Beat's strengths and none of its weaknesses. On top of another great hook, its striking visuals and slick dialogue makes it far too good to vote against.

Group A-3
vs.
Last Exile "First Move"

Vote for: His and Her Circumstances

Last Exile has great visual quality, but...that's all, in my opinion. I just couldn't get into it. On the other hand, what His and Her Circumstances lacks in artistry, it more than makes up for in terms of execution, dialogue and characterization. Watching Miyazawa slowly realize "Wow...I'm a bitch" is just a great moment; anime doesn't do this nearly often enough.

Group A-4
Azumanga Daioh “Child High School Student / She's a Prodigy / Scary Maybe? / Wildcat Tomo-chan! / The Osakan Gal”
vs.

Vote for: Azumanga Daioh

As much as I love a good philosophical discussion, in the end I have to give the nod to Azumanga Daioh. I don't feel like Monster "gets going" until the second episode; I like the morality stuff but none of the show's real hooks are present. By contrast, AzuDai is full speed ahead from the very start (on a stolen bicycle, no less). The characters are instantly lovable and the show delivers a good mix of hilarity and lightheartedness.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:34 am Reply with quote
Since I watched all 8 over the past couple of days, I decided it would be fun to also rank them, regardless of matchup.
Taking my top 4, Eden of the East would advance, and Monster would be left out.
1. His and Hers Circumstances
2. Skip Beat
3. Full Moon
4. Eden of the East
5. Bakemonogatari
6. Monster
7. Azumanga Daioh
8. Last Exile

I am a bit shocked at the way the Skip Beat/Bakemonogatari matchup is going. It was my first exposure to either franchise, and I thought Skip Beat was an easy winner. I will rewatch them both today to see if I missed something.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
On the other hand, Full Moon's first episode is kind of jarring. The girl is terminally ill, but the show kind of glosses over the implications of that in favor of "We need plot STAT!" I feel like I'm a few pieces short of a puzzle in understanding why she's reacting the way she is; normally you'd be a little more upset at being told you're going to die.
She already explained that she's less afraid of death than afraid of living without a voice. So it quite profoundly addresses the issue of being told you are going to die. Which yes would rattle any normal person, but Mitsuki's reaction makes me admire her even more: Why dwell on your impending demise, when the most important thing is to make the most of the short time you have left?

This was also a perfect setup for the second episode's premise: To prove herself to the one person who is supporting her the most, but now has some doubts. Is she truly doing this for her own wishes and dreams, or is this just a ploy to get the guy? So the series does an outstanding job of countering possible plot holes and disruptions in the story flow, all in the first episode.

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Olliff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
vs.

Vote for: Eden of the East

Had to check out Full Moon before I decided to vote since it has generated a lot of discussion. It's better than expected and while it is certainly emotionally charged and full of sophistry, it pales in comparison to Eden of the East, one of this tournament's top picks. The artistry is a clear step up, the story, content, and mystery has a stronger appeal than the melodramatic attempt to be heart wrenching that Full Moon gets close to achieving. The overall better story telling, writing and pacing also separates EotE from Full Moon, which has probably below average writing, and the content relies heavily on pathos and empathy.

Group A-2
vs.

Vote for: Skip Beat

Bakemonogatari has an interesting and uniquely exciting art style, a memorable character, and a few signature scenes, but compared to the more precisely executed Skip Beat, Bakemonogatari seems unfocused in comparison. Bakemonogatari really starts to take off not until we get a little more back-story a few more episodes in.

After just the first episode, we aren't so uncertain what it is even aiming for beyond shock value and uniqueness. In comparison, the strong climatic moment at the end that takes nearly the whole episode to build separates Skip Beat from the pack. I also feel that Skip Beat's first episode is significantly clearer with its intent and seems to know what it is trying to accomplish better than the first episode of Bakemonogatari. Also, few shows have such a major character transformation in the first episode -- something Bakemonogatari doesn't even come close to accomplishing.

Group A-3
vs.
Last Exile "First Move"

Vote for: His and Her Circumstances

Last Exile has the edge in artistry and animation, but His and Her Circumstances edges out Last Exile in about everything else with characterization, clear cut story telling, and even hints at character development all in the first episode.

Group A-4
vs.

Vote for: Monster

Azumanga Daioh delivers the belly laughs and guffaws that it promises, but Monster delivers so much more meaningful. Monster introduces us to an easy to like and pure hearted hero who soon begins his journey into despair and hard times that will transform his life forever. The setup is great, the characters are believable, and it does it job by enticing us to see more even if the pacing is more deliberate than other stories told in this medium.
Saffire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
She already explained that she's less afraid of death than afraid of living without a voice. So it quite profoundly addresses the issue of being told you are going to die. Which yes would rattle any normal person, but Mitsuki's reaction makes me admire her even more: Why dwell on your impending demise, when the most important thing is to make the most of the short time you have left?
It would be admirable if she hadn't already lost her ability to sing. There is no "making the most of it"; her chance is gone. At that point, she should be jumping at the surgery just for the chance to recover. Maybe I'm just not thinking like a 12 year old girl, but she doesn't seem to get the implications of what's happening even when told outright.

There's an awful lot that gets shrugged off in order to get Mitsuki to the audition, I guess is my point. Her reaction would make sense if she'd known from the start that the shinigami would help her, but she doesn't. Maybe it makes sense as her characterizaton develops (I can only work with what's in the first episode), but I can't help sitting there and thinking, "This isn't how anyone would react in this situation".
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Olliff wrote:
Monster delivers so much more meaningful. Monster introduces us to an easy to like and pure hearted hero who soon begins his journey into despair and hard times that will transform his life forever. The setup is great, the characters are believable, and it does it job by enticing us to see more even if the pacing is more deliberate than other stories told in this medium.

Problem is, I'm not sure that's clear in the first episode (the first episode being the only one I've seen). Does the next episode continue where we left off? Do his ties with the hospital head and fiance immediately get cut for his bout of conscience? Does it continue as a murder mystery? Does the show immediately make a time jump to make use of the implied threat of the child he saves (the hint being that the child is the titular "monster")? Because I've heard rumors about the show I have a vague idea but I don't see the first episode of Monster as being all that strong on it's own. Its the beginning of a larger story but it seems obvious you'll need to watch more to get an idea of where the show is going- if you don't have prior knowledge of the story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
So I'm going to fill out my thoughts right after I watch these first episodes while the episode is still fresh in my mind. Some of these I've already seen before, but I'll try to treat this as a first watch. I'll continue to edit this post as I watch the episodes, and then make up my mind once each group is finished.

Group A-1
VOTE: Eden of the East
For as competently-handled Full Moon might have been, it's pretty average next to Eden of the East, which has one of the most memorable opening scenes. And the pathos it was dependent upon to really grab the viewer in the first episode kinda fell through on me in the most crucial moments.

Thoughts: Damn, if nothing else this episode is extremely effective at drawing the viewer in. Spectacular visuals, really great animation, attention to detail, an enigmatic main character with a boatload of charisma, mystery, intrigue. I was both blown away and sucked in. I love how the setting is in America, and they actually try to make it seem like the characters are in America. Signs are in English (if there was Engrish, I didn't notice it), random people in the city spoke English (really well), the buildings looked like a city in America. And as for Akira? Effing a, we need more charismatic guys like this to help balance out all of the milquetoasts or monotone, bland characters. And Saki was pretty cool as well, for a character overwhelmed and swept in situations beyond her control. And the whole "savior of the world", terrorist, erased memory mystery - hot damn, I want to know more.

Now, as for drawbacks, in a series that's trying to be realistic in its setting and characters, I couldn't help but be annoyed by certain things. Like, where the hell are all the people? This is Washington D.C. but I felt like we were in a ghost town. I've visited D.C. three times in my life and it was never that dead. And according to Japan, America's police are a bunch of bumbling idiots who request to look at people's dicks. WTF? And how can everyone somehow understand what Akira and Saki are saying even though they're almost always speaking Japanese? The black guy, the police officer woman, the taxi driver... I could understand one them, maybe, but the odds of meeting three random people on the street who understand Japanese seems very farfetched. And the only time that Saki or Akira speaks English is when she asks that one guy which floor Akira lives on. Though Saki's English is heavily accented, it's shown she can speak it, so why doesn't she use it more often? And Akira, he has some sort of hidden past that involves a lot of different passports, so I'd assume he'd know something of the languages from those places. Why would you live there without attempting to learn the language? And when Akira charmed the pants off of that one guy in the middle of the street where anyone could see 'em? Yeah, I'm with Saki there, that's just... no.

Overall, this show is a really, really effective mystery, and it's really good at drawing the viewer in with its visuals, characters, and story. However, its attempts at realism make the unrealistic moments all that much more stupid.

Thoughts: For a series that's about "fighting for your dreams against all of the odds," the first episode does a pretty good job of setting this premise up and making the audience care for the main character. I was surprised that I actually came to be a bit endeared to Mitsuki - she's humble without being a pushover, she's honest without being annoying, she's cute without some of the more annoying moe-ifications (e.g. the "uguu"s, the voice inflections), and she has a throatier, deeper voice. That last one surprised me the most; I've gotten so used to expecting the higher-pitched voices from cute-looking grade school girls, that I'm always thrown off when I hear deeper voices than what I expect. Personally, I love the deeper voices, so this was a pleasant plus. I also like how she didn't break down crying the second she heard the sad news, but became more determined to follow her dreams. Her reaction felt genuine to me - it's one thing to be told that you're spoiler[going to die] and it's another to really experience it. I'm certain that as the time gets closer she'll be more emotional about it, but for now it's the right determination factor. I also found the two shinigami amusing (they look way too silly to be taken seriously, and yet they still try to be serious about it... they even give a reason for the bunny and kitty ears, which I thought was pretty cool), and I like how hints are given that there's more behind Mr. Kitty (whose name escapes me) than what's just immediately first shown. The episode also throws all of the right emotional cues in the right places without over exaggerating.

Now, for the detractors. Yes, the right cues were thrown in at the right moments, however, they were all expected. Of course, something tragic was going to happen to get Mitsuki motivated to follow her dreams; of course, Mitsuki was going to be thrown a few curve balls - that the characters referred to as "harsh reality" - to bring down her confidence during auditions; and, of course, Mr. Kitty was gonna step in at the last second to give her a few inspirational words to give back her confidence. As such, I couldn't really get invested in the scenes since I knew they were coming. I can recognize their importance in setting the mood, but I couldn't get caught up in the mood because I was too aware of the cliche. Oftentimes, knowing your tropes can be a detractor. Also, with a series that revolves around singing the show should ample opportunities for some great music; however, the songs I heard I couldn't describe any better than "good." It sounded like generic j-pop. Nothing grabbed me.

Overall, it was a well-done, competently-executed first episode, and probably one of the better "fight for your dreams" in the shoujo genre. However, I couldn't really get caught up in the emotions nor the music, and for a series that depends upon the pathos of the viewer that's a pretty big detractor.

--------------------------------------------------------

Group A-2
VOTE: Skip Beat!
Because Kyoko sells the show, and the episode ends on a resounding wham, while Bakemonogatari gets all caught up in its wordplay and insistence on being unique and abstract that it becomes almost a chore to get through.

Thoughts: Well, it's different. Not being familiar with NisiOisiN, I can see where the appeal is. The art style is pretty good. The random camera angles and scene compositions were really good at keeping your attention. And I like how everything lead up to Senjoubladdabladda revealing the truth. It's all abstract, and you have to piece the elements together as they come at you from different directions. The in-jokes (that I can actually catch) are amusing, and the characters are intriguing.

However, and this is a big however, I normally don't handle rambling speeches well, and this was no different. This felt little different from me trying to listen to a boring class lecture, except it's in a different language and I know I'm missing quite a bit of wordplay (I've heard about NisiOisiN and his penchant for wordplay). The only reason I didn't zone out a few times is because I was so focused on the words at the bottom of the screen. I am sort of intrigued to continue watching, but I don't know if I want to attempt to listen to more ramble that sounds like it's trying to be clever (and probably is clever), but otherwise falls flat. Also, the topics just seem to jump around so often, and the characters just seem to talk for the sake of talking. It's really annoying. For me, actions speak louder than words - I'd rather see it than hear it. There was just way too much narration and inner monologuing and repartee going on.

For those who are charmed by this style of storytelling, it is a pretty good episode, and it really tries to stay on its toes and constantly keep the eyes and ears and thoughts of the audience on it. However, the near constant chatty chat (and also the constant moving the camera angles) got on my nerves quite a bit and left me cold to a majority of the experience. It's different, but I don't know if that's enough for me to give it a vote.

EDIT: Both Last Exile and Oliff have helped me realize something that I overlooked the first time. What's the point of the series? I mean, yeah, there's a lot about it that separates it from the rest to make it different, but the whole thing ended up feeling... pointless. It's almost like the series realized its own pointlessness and tried to fill itself up with as much witty dialogue and random conversations as possible to distract the audience. "Ooooh, oooh, look at the pretty birdie over here! See the pretty birdie, so pretty! Ooooh, oooh, I'm jangling the keys, look at me jangle the keys! Aren't they shiny?!"

Thoughts: Wow, what an awesome episode. Kinda like the metaphor used at the beginning of the episode with the locked treasure chest, the first episode spends a lot of time hiding away its inner truth. And, once its unlocked, instead of revealing golds and riches, a monster emerges. Who'd have thought the devoted, loving, sacrificial "Yamato Nadeshiko" would so quickly turn around and be filled with such rage and desperation to humiliate the guy who just dumped her. I love Kyoko's passion, fire, and desire to get revenge, and I love how the episode builds up to it. Kyoko's dramatic responses to several things had me laughing out loud several times. It is clear that her character is going to drive a majority of the show (and drive it hard), and I'm looking forward to it.

While this episode does a great job at building up Kyoko (who's clearly the main character), it only briefly glances over other characters who seem like they're going to be important as well - Sho and Ren. Also, unlike some other contenders in this tourney, it doesn't sport the amazing visuals that some do (though the visuals are bright and colorful). And... well, I'm honestly starting to grab at straws here. You can see its shoujo origins (with shoujo cliches), which may be enough to push some people away, but it goes about it all differently, and Kyoko is a bit of a wild, unique heroine. I guess one complaint would be that it focuses too long on her "perfect girlfriend" image, but the build-up ends on such a perfect stopping point - walking out of the salon as a completely different, confident woman - that I can't really take any points away from it.

Overall, Kyoko. What an awesome character. What a total role reversal. What a way to build an episode around her.

Group A-3
VOTE: His and Her Circumstances
This one was probably the toughest choice yet, since each series strengths are completely opposite of one another. I actually have a longer history with Last Exile, having seen it already, while this is my first time watching HaHC. Rewatching Last Exile has helped me see the major flaw that I never noticed the first time around when I saw the first episode (the purpose of the series). It's like the series has a hard time trying to decide what it wants to be - we've got elements of slice-of-life, mystery, political intrigue, the horrors of war, yet nothing that really ties these all together yet. However, the series is still effective at drawing the viewer in, and where it's strengths lie it's really strong. Ultimately, I decided to go with the series with the fewer votes. EDIT: Whoops, after reviewing the results, I realize I am wrong (for some reason I thought HaHC was behind. Okay then, I vote because it has made a more memorable impression on me.

Thoughts: I think the fact that I had to go and immediately watch the second episode is pretty telling (and I really want to see the third episode now, but I'm holding off). This was hilarious. Yukino is amazing, and I enjoyed seeing the duality of her character. It's a pretty good character study as well, to see her acknowledge her shallowness near the end of the episode. And yet, even though the episode allows itself some serious moments to keep it grounded, the humor is never far from it. Similar to Skip Beat, the characters really help sell this story.

Hm... the animation is dated and sometimes jarring, but that isn't a big factor for me. One flaw could be that the equation is a bit one-sided... after all, the series is called "His and Her Circumstances," yet at this moment we truly only understand her circumstances. However, that shouldn't be surprising given the title of the episode.

Overall, the characters are really charming, Yukino is hilarious, and I like how flawed and how easy she is to relate to. The episode ends of on a note that leaves you begging to watch more.

Last Exile "First Move"

Thoughts: This series strength is completely opposite from its competitor, which makes for a really interesting match-up. While His and Her Circumstances focused on characters, this series focuses on world-building and atmosphere, and delivers it in spades. We see both a microscopic view of the world - by looking into the daily lives and worries of Claus and Lavie, getting a personal view of Mullin's part in battle - yet we also get a glimpse into what's going on in the world they live in, by showing the war going on between different countries. The visuals are gorgeous and really help bring the world to life, and the music really helps set the mood and draws the viewer in. If I was voting strictly by the soundtrack, this series would win hands down (out of all the series I've seen here).

However, as amazing as the world-building is, there's this elephant in the room that needs to be addressed: where's the plot? I mean, as much as I was caught up in the splendor and eye candy, afterwards, I was still left confused as to what this series is about. Is this series about Claus and Lavie trying to stop the war between the two countries? Is this series mainly about the daily lives of Claus and Lavie? Will they even have any importance later on? The series gets so caught up in setting the mood, creating this world, and then immersing the viewer in it that it forgets to tell us the point of the series. Leaving us with a bunch of questions is one way to make us go on to the next episode, however, so the episode still could be considered a success. And while a great amount of detail went into designing and building such a grand world, the characters are a bit lacking. Claus and Lavie, while having agreeable personalities that makes their characters likeable enough to sympathize with them, don't have much depth at this point.

Overall, gorgeous series that immerses you into the world and makes you want to find out more about it. But what's the point?

Group A-4
VOTE: Monster
Overall, the weakest pairing in this bunch. But Monster still edges out Azumanga Daioh for creating a rich, sympathetic character who's more developed and interesting than all of the girls in the other series added up.

Thoughts: Mizuki was cute. The teacher and the loud mouth had a few chuckle-worthy moments. And I sympathized with the cat girl (and wished I could pet the kitties as well).

And... see that short list up there? Yeah, that was my entire impression of the first episode, and I'm not entirely certain what the criteria are to vote for this piece. It's based on a 4-koma, I know that; so it's obviously a big fluff piece, but I've never watched any other 4-koma series because they normally aren't my thing, so I have nothing to compare it to. Do I rank on its fluffiness? Did I walk away feeling like I gorged on a really good Twinkie? Should it make me feel cheery and lighter than I was previously? Because I just mostly felt nonplussed over the situation. I mean, there were some funny moments, and most of the characters were charming in their own way, but I wasn't really awed or desiring to see more. I've read several good 4-komas, but they were for already established series where I already knew the characters and came to be attached to them in one form or another (Madoka Magica, Victorian Romance Emma). This I just couldn't really get into. Maybe if I saw more episodes I'd find it more amusing, but for a first episode it was just unremarkable.

Overall, fluff.

Thoughts:The series starts off well by establishing the character of Tenma and his role in the society he's often overwhelmed by. What it does particularly well is expressing his internal frustration and angst over having little power in his life and dissatisfaction with doing things against his own internal moral code. I love how the episode was able to make him such a sympathetic character with several issues, helping to establish the drama early. The episode also does well to help set a dark and foreboding tone in the face of Tenma's rebellion - you can't help but cheer for the guy even as you worry about the consequences of his actions. And then the little girl's final word, "Kill..." Creepy.

And yet, despite all of that, the episode is still a bit underwhelming in terms of first episodes made to draw the viewers in. The episode is a bit slow at times, and while the ending scene is quite good it doesn't pack the power or the punch as something like Skip Beat! or His and Her Circumstances did.

Overall, an effective first episode whose main strength is establishing its main character, but not as strong as others in the tournament.

Last edited by Crisha on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
vs.
Viewing history: I saw Eden of the East as it was airing. This is the first time I've seen Full Moon.
Is the first episode good enough to entice me to watch the rest of series? I watched Eden of the East as it aired and now own a copy of the show. Full Moon's first episode was good enough that I may continue the series when I find time for it.
Other thoughts: Full Moon has a very solid opening episode. The protagonist is introduced, several obstacles to her goal are introduced, we're shown her determination to overcome them, and she's given the means to do so. The shinigami characters are amusing, and there are hints at some potential romantic drama present in addition to their duty and how they use their power to help Mitsuki. Mitsuki's grandmother strikes me as a little too exaggerated with her opposition to Mitsuki singing, and the auditioners' reaction to Mitsuki's performance is as well, but those are pretty minor faults.
Eden of the East starts quickly, introducing us to the charismatic Akira, and Saki, though obviously overwhelmed, hangs on for the ride. The show intrigues with questions of what is Akira's background or his purpose. The production value, too, is clearly quite slick, and has as much style as Akira does. For example, while a smaller detail, in the sub, the policewoman who questions Akira is voiced by someone who actually speaks English.
Voting for: Eden of the East. Since both episodes were good, my deciding factor is that Eden of the East feels more like it's trying to tell a story that hasn't been told before (or at least as frequently in anime).

Group A-2
vs.
First: Wait, the LOVE statue in the opening? What?
Viewing history: Watched Bakemonogatari as it aired. First experience with Skip Beat.
Is the first episode good enough to entice me to watch the rest of series? Bakemonogatari, yes; Skip Beat, not until the final moments of the episode.
Other thoughts: The premise of Skip Beat - Kyoko getting revenge on Sho for taking her assistance for granted - seems to run counter to the various comedic metaphors used throughout the episode. It's perhaps unfair to treat that as a negative, as they do work pretty well, but it's unbalancing when the drama aspect is emphasized more by fans. Also, Kyoko's constant mooning over Sho for most of the episode gets a little tiresome, although it does help emphasize her drastic personality change in the final moments.
Bakemonogatari, like most works influenced by Akiyuki Shinbo's artistic vision, is visually unique and daring. Banter between the characters is pretty rapid and witty, a mere taste of what is to come. Plus, there's just something oddly interesting about a girl who's almost light as a feather and intimidates people with an arsenal of office supplies.
Voting for: Bakemonogatari. Skip Beat's introduction left me hoping the show would just get to the interesting part where Kyoko lashes out at her disrespectful guy-friend, whereas Bakemono held my attention the entire time.

Group A-3
vs.
Last Exile "First Move"
Viewing history: Saw Last Exile about 8 years ago, subbed, on a friend's recommendation. Saw Kare Kano maybe 6 years ago, based on reputation.
Is the first episode good enough to entice me to watch the rest of series? There isn't a particularly strong hook to His and Her Circumstances, but it's entertaining enough to look forward to more. For Last Exile, the larger conflict makes for more compelling viewing, and the ending is a more direct cliff-hanger.
Other thoughts: There's something really fun about watching a character who is both as talented and flawed as Yukino, her contrasting public and private personalities, and the way her defeat comes at her own hand. It's also interesting in that in several scenes it gives the viewer time to consider what Arima is thinking about in response to Yukino's actions. Furthermore, the comedy is quite well played.
Last Exile is heavier on technical based dialogue in several places, but it works well to establish the setting. Claus doesn't have a whole lot of character assigned to him right away, but Lavie makes up for that. There's also the impressive airship designs and the 3D cg blends pretty well with the 2D animation.
Voting for: Last Exile. It's a more exciting first episode.

Group A-4
vs.
Viewing history: Saw Azumanga about 8 years ago. Not sure if I even started on the first episode. Started Monster 6 years ago, watched it over the course of a year or so.
Is the first episode good enough to entice me to watch the rest of series? Definitely yes for Azumanga Daioh. The tone and style is simple yet enjoyable, and it remains the same for the duration of the series. For Monster, yes, but with less urgency.
Other thoughts: Azumanga is bright and cheerful, with little in the way of thicker plot to drive the show, but the cast is introduced quickly and they more than carry the weight needed.
Monster establishes itself with a dark and somber tone, and raises a moral/ethical dilemma (sorry, I'm not exactly clear on the distinction between those two). The first episode takes time to establish Tenma, and how he believes people should be treated, which is of great importance for the series, but the slower start means it takes more than just the first episode to really see where the story is going.
Voting for: Azumanga Daioh. Monster doesn't really start to pick up until episode 4 or so.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
vs.

Voting for Eden of the East

This one was easy to vote for. While Full Moon had a nice 1st episode, Eden 1st episode was just that much better. I found it amusing to see Saki being saved by a naked person near the White House and the fact that Akira somehow convinced an American to give him his pants was witty. The first episode of Eden had the perfect balance of action, mystery, and comedy to hook me in.

Group A-2
vs.

Voting for Bakemonogatari

This one was a tough one, as both had a strong first episode. But I decided to go with Bakemonogatari because the premise was unique and the episode was visually appeasing. Another point that swayed me is that Senjogahara seemed like a much stronger female lead than Kyoko based on the first episodes. While Kyoko became strong and independent in the end of the episode, she was still a hopeless girl being used by a guy. While Senjogahara shows her strength as a character from the beginning. She showed no mercy to Araragi, when she threatened him and stapled his mouth.

Group A-3
vs.
Last Exile "First Move"

Voting for His and Her Circumstances

I was more hooked on continuing His and Her Circumstances than Last Exile, after watching both first episode this week. Although the animation was poor for His and Her Circumstances (Not blaming it since it was made in 98), I was intrigued by Yukino's personality. It was amusing to watch a person act so much more different at home than at school. I know a lot of people act their "best" at school, but Yukino takes it to an extreme case. She changes from a Princess at school to a bum at home. I also loved the episode ending with her perfect image being drained down the toilet to her arch nemesis.

Group A-4
vs.

Voting for Azumanga Daioh

While Monster had an intriguing first episode, I thought it wasn't good enough to beat Azumanga Diaoh in terms of catching my attention. Although Monster got stronger in the next couple of episodes, I felt Azumanga Daioh had a better first episode.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping to have a chance to see all the episodes before I voted but unfortunately a family situation came up and it's not going to happen. I've seen a decent number though, at least. And I have the Monster ep ready to watch if I get a chance to watch it and my mind is changed, I may come back.

Group A-1
Voting for: Eden of the East "I Picked Up A Prince"

Reasons: This was one of the shows that I immediately thought of when nominations began. These past couple of years I have become very tough on first episodes when I watch them, often turning them off halfway if I haven't been gripped by them. Eden of the East however had me from its first moments and its a series I cannot wait to watch again (I have the set on order but it won't arrive until the last Madoka set is out in the summer and things can ship Sad)

Group A-2
Voting for: Bakemonogatari "Hitagi Crab: Part 1"

Reasons: Because I have seen the first episode of Skip Beat! and the only thing I really remember about it is that it was during the period of anime viewing I had where it seemed like Miyano Mamoru was in everything. While this is actually a point in Skip Beat's favour, I'm pretty sure I only watched one episode and so can't say that its beginning is a particularly good one.

Group A-3
Voting for: Last Exile "First Move"

Reasons: This is a match-up where I haven't seen either so I'm going off arguments made here and the guide, though it really was a toss-up based on the last bunch of votes. Sorry I don't have more reasoning than that at the moment, I'll do my best to get caught up with watching the titles that advance to round 2.

Group A-4
Voting: Monster "Herr Doctor Tenma"

Reasons: Interestingly, this is the second time I am voting against the episode I've seen. This time is harder though because I love Azumanga Daioh. That said, I honestly don't feel that the first episode is really that great. Yes, it has an interesting format and introduces characters decently well but when I looked along my anime DVD shelf to see if there was anything else I wanted to nominate from my collection, it just wasn't one of them. And what I've heard about Monster makes it sound like it is, that show is one I've wanted to watch/read for a long time and might actually get around to one of these days.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:24 am Reply with quote
As I mentioned before I had seen one - and only one - episode from each of the matchups. In case anyone was wondering, the episodes I had seen were from Eden of the East, Bakemonogatari, Last Exile and Monster. Well today I watched the other four episodes on dodgy streaming sites, and though I went with what I had already seen in three matchups there was a new episode that impressed me enough (more than enough actually) to get my vote . . .

A-1:
Eden of the East

Full Moon wo Sagashite's first episode was nice and all, a good respectable effort, but I still reckon Eden of the East has the clear edge. Its episode is slick and interesting, and quite novel too. Maybe if I had been more moved at Mitsuki's audition I may have reconsidered, but this matchup seems pretty cut and dried to me.

A-2:
Bakemonogatari

This was way closer than I thought it would be. Skip Beat starts off strong with a great female lead. But you know what series has a better female lead character? Bakemonogatari. Over time Hitagi will calm down and become more normal, but right now she gives the visuals a run for their money in how much she brings to the table. Hitagi has this presence that can give you goosebumps.

A-3:
His and Her Circumstances

The first episode of Last Exile is pretty 'meh' in my eyes (just like the rest of the show), which is surprising since I like the idea of flying ships having aerial duels. Guess the execution was the problem, not the premise. The first episode of His and Her Circumstances however was great. I loved how the girl was so deliciously and unashamedly vain and proud of tricking people, it certainly made her memorable. She has insecurities and flaws just like the rest of us, which in storytelling terms is called 'depth'. The family members were funny, and the text that popped up was funnier (like how the house was four years old but had a twenty-five-year mortgage; that works on multiple levels). The ending is also a great hook. All in all a very impressive episode. I've heard the series goes drastically downhill at some point but on the first episode alone this is a no-brainer.

A-4:
Monster

I feel a little sorry for Azumanga Daioh. Its style and character traits must have seemed so fresh and original when it came out but has been copied and outright parodied so much since that it now seems really cliché and even stale. Despite this fact, the first episode was alright, and I could appreciate it for what it was. Monster on the other hand subtly and skillfully sucks you in with a low-key and unusual episode. The mood is strange and the tone is foreboding, almost as if we are watching the beginning of a Horror movie. The two shows really couldn't be more different, but I give Monster the vote because it sets itself apart from the vast majority of Anime shows produced before or since. It isn't Azumanga Daioh's fault that it is no longer fresh but such things have to be weighed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 43