• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Manga 65 Sells 3 Million in Less Than 2 Months

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
LaSean wrote:
At first glance I thought it said it sold 65 million in 2 months. I almost fainted.

Its still petty damn impressive, too bad it can't be like this in America.most here are concerned with narudos and saucegays,relationship.

Oh well,I'm still glad to see oda's work still banking,congratulations on your success,and keep up the good work

Like Godwin's law, you just can't have a One Piece thread go 10 replies before one of the fans starts bashing another manga...
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Not to bash anything else, but I do wish OP was more popular here, cause then the anime could maybe be dubbed faster or more avalible for DVD release here. Not that I'm not happy about the current releases, but still when looking at how fast other series are doing, you can't help but look back at OP and think "damn, this is slow."

Well its a discussion on the manga, which is being released quite nicely if I do say so myself. Now that new world is out I'm gonna start buying from there up.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
@dragon695: It makes sense though, considering the difference in quality between the manga and how that isn't reflected in their respective success in the USA.
And I'm saying this as a Naruto fan. When you have to say something, you have to... for example that the Naruto manga didn't develop up to its own standard (the first 2-3 arcs are great), unfortunately. Sad

Anyway, congrats to Oda, his success is well deserved and I hope he will work hard till the manga end... it is a potential masterpiece and he can't waste what he is creating, so I hope he'll be strong and motivated enough to keep up the awesome job for around more ten years or whatever he'll need to finish it properly. ^^

P.S. People, buy even the pre time-skip volumes, if you can.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
@dragon695: It makes sense though, considering the difference in quality between the manga and how that isn't reflected in their respective success in the USA.
And I'm saying this as a Naruto fan. When you have to say something, you have to... for example that the Naruto manga didn't develop up to its own standard (the first 2-3 arcs are great), unfortunately. Sad

Anyway, congrats to Oda, his success is well deserved and I hope he will work hard till the manga end... it is a potential masterpiece and he can't waste what he is creating, so I hope he'll be strong and motivated enough to keep up the awesome job for around more ten years or whatever he'll need o finish it properly. ^^

P.S. People, buy even the pre time-skip volumes, if you can.

I would by the pre skip ones, but theres so much that my jobless wallet can't afford it(still a HS-er living wit with parents) plus I don't feel up for the book hunt. and at that I'm collecting the DVDS the collections Funi have been releasing have been a huge help, and thanks to accidentally getting my mom into one piece(don't ask) She was thrilled to help me get all the current collections. also I like buying things consecutivly as they come out rather then hunt a crapload down (sgt. frog has given me many hardships)

theres alot of reasons, but maybe it'll change once I set up my own finance Anime hyper
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:

Not just the USA. Pretty much every country outside Japan favors other series more. See France's sales, for example.

I do find it funny when something they like is popular in Japan but not elsewhere, people cry "proof people outside Japan has no taste and don't understand the brilliance of my series" but then when something they hate is popular in Japan while something they dislike isn't (like Trigun or Bebop VS K-ON or something) it's "Man, Japan once again proves it has awful taste and they don't know their own medium" It's like people flip flop depending on the situation to whichever benefits their opinion/argument.

Quote:
And I'm saying this as a Naruto fan. When you have to say something, you have to...

As a One Piece fan, the series definitely pales in comparison to Gash Bell and Fairy Tail in terms of wacky shounen adventure.. I can totally see why it's not popular in the west. And I can admit this even as a fan, so you know it's true. (Prefacing your statement with "As a fan doesn't mean anything, by the way)
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Sariachan wrote:

Not just the USA. Pretty much every country outside Japan favors other series more. See France's sales, for example.

I do find it funny when something they like is popular in Japan but not elsewhere, people cry "proof people outside Japan has no taste and don't understand the brilliance of my series" but then when something they hate is popular in Japan while something they dislike isn't (like Trigun or Bebop VS K-ON or something) it's "Man, Japan once again proves it has awful taste and they don't know their own medium" It's like people flip flop depending on the situation to whichever benefits their opinion/argument.

Quote:
And I'm saying this as a Naruto fan. When you have to say something, you have to...

As a One Piece fan, the series definitely pales in comparison to Gash Bell and Fairy Tail in terms of wacky shounen adventure.. I can totally see why it's not popular in the west. And I can admit this even as a fan, so you know it's true. (Prefacing your statement with "As a fan doesn't mean anything, by the way)

So it isn't popular in the west because it isn't wacky enough? can you help me out here?
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
In both cases, the statistics are actually for One Piece manga buyers, not One Piece manga readers.

That's how the articles were worded, I however don't know how one would be able to differentiate between the two when considering buyers and readers are more often than not, one in the same.
It just looks like trifling in technicalities to me.

Those translations were worded inaccurately; the surveys were conducted by the Kinokuniya bookstore chain of its buyers (購買). More about how buyers and readers are not one and the same below.

Megiddo wrote:
Exactly. One Piece volumes are 420 yen and are sold in very accessible areas. There would be no reason for kids to have their parents buy one for them, at least as far as I understand. There shouldn't be much of any discrepancy between manga readers and buyers.

EDIT: What I find really interesting about One Piece is that it sells more copies than the current circulation of Shounen Jump.

One thing to consider is that parents will buy the 65 volumes for the entire family (including themselves), and not have each member of the family buy an redundant set in the home. On the other hand, that also means there are more readers of One Piece than the 3 million+ who actually buy copies.

The same goes for Shonen Jump magazine; there isn't just one reader for every copy bought. Many copies are read by several people.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Didn't Gash Bell get discontinued in the U.S.? Fairy Tail is at best mildly popular over here. It's probably behind or on the same level as OP's stateside popularity.
And if One Piece wasn't popular in the west, Viz would have discontinued the series a long time ago, and Funimation wouldn't have spent six months trying to acquire more episodes. While its popularity isn't on Naruto and Bleach's level, it's still popular enough in the states to warrant continuation and it's still ahead of a very big percent of manga that don't even make it on the NY Times Bestseller List.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Sariachan wrote:

Quote:

I was talking about two series I know really well, and I was saying that, objectively speaking, One Piece is superior on Naruto on drawings, character design (even if character design is one of Naruto's strongest points), backgrounds, panels layout, richness of details, character and especially relationships between characters development, and overall story/plot and narrating techniques.
Out of my mind, the only aspect Naruto is really superior to One Piece is the pacing of the early volumes (OP starts slower, basically).
I'm not bashing Naruto, on the contrary I'm sad that Naruto loose quality over the years. Sad I'm not saying Naruto is the worse manga ever, either, far from it. It still has its good moments luckily... just, it could have been much better. I still have a bit of hope for the ending, though.

Please notice that I wasn't about personal or cultural differences in tastes, but about things that you can objectively discuss beyond personal tastes. I can discuss each and every aspect I mentioned above, comparing the two manga (Naruto and One Piece), anytime.

I didn't mention other Countries since in Europe, in some Countries at least, One Piece is really popular even when Naruto is more, while in the USA Naruto is much more popular than OP, and even Bleach is that (Bleach deserves such popularity even less as far as I know it... I can't make a good comparison between it and OP though, since I only know the Bleach characters and story through the anime; anyway I can surely affirm that the Bleach manga looks empty, and that the story, overall, isn't well-planned even if I still like several Bleach characters and at least one story arc).

If I wasn't clear, what I was saying isn't that One Piece should be more popular in the USA since it is a huge hit in Japan, but that OP should be more popular in the USA too (and elsewhere, for that matter) because it deserves it and because many potential fans and manga/anime fans in general don't even know what they could miss... I was someone that didn't like One Piece at first, go figures (and I could clearly explain why I didn't like it, initially).

I can't talk about Fairy Tail and Gash Bell since I don't know them... yet (I try to check as many manga/anime I can, within my time/economic possibilities of course).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
Didn't Gash Bell get discontinued in the U.S.? Fairy Tail is at best mildly popular over here. It's probably behind or on the same level as OP's stateside popularity.

I dunno, but that wasn't really the point I was trying to make with that statement.

Sariachan wrote:
I was talking about two series I know really well, and I was saying that, objectively speaking, One Piece is superior on Naruto on drawings, character design (even if character design is one of Naruto's strongest points), backgrounds, panels layout, richness of details, character and especially relationships between characters development, and overall story/plot and narrating techniques.

You should look up what objectivity actually is. Art is probably the most subjective subject out there. Especially when one of the most common complaints about One Piece I see is how ugly the art is. There's nothing really objective about that.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
^ I though OP art wasn't "beautiful" at first, too, but it sure is effective in a manga. And that is objective, non subjective.
Again, I can explain why but you don't seem to want to start a serious debate about it, since you keep making generic statements. Rolling Eyes

Art isn't such subjective, by the way. Art, or more in general creations are made of three things: technique, style and contents.
You have objective parameters to judge each of them, even if for style it is pretty hard to do since it's more on the subjective side than the other two (and it's more related to local culture, personal culture and even acquired taste).
We can still objectively judge the effectiveness of a style related to a creation contents, though.

By the way, I forgot to mention it earlier, but please notice that a Naruto VS One Piece comparison would have to take into account that both manga aren't completed yet, so it will always be partial (but not impossible to do or not valid at all).

Last edited by Sariachan on Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Guess I just can't get amazed at One Piece breaking records anymore since it seems like everytime I get anime/manga news it has broken something new. xD
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
oh, hey, guys--have you heard about this manga called 'one piece'? apparently, it's quite popular.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm a fan of series x, therefore my opinion is better.
sender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I need... a Forbes list of Japan... manga+anime+merchandise+things-that-can't-be-classificated... next news will be "One Piece will have his own tematic resort in an artificial island in the Emirates" O.O
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3