• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Amazon to begin collecting sales tax in Texas July 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:14 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
"Filling the coffers"? It's barely a pittance compared to the tax refund I get. Simply put, if 0 {"Live Free or Die" is right}- 10% (And I'm in the higher end of that range} increase in price is going to affect how much you buy online {which is already cheap since shipping is free in many cases and the overhead is ridiculously low} shop smarter or go without.
I was referring to your comment about voluntarily paying the tax being "honorable", which implies taxation being a good thing. If you think taxes aren't good, then ipso facto paying them isn't honorable.
Quote:
By the way, I'm not looking at this at either the state, online retailer or buyer position. I'm considering the local real retailers that have been taken out of business by factors such as tax free online retailers. {That's my guilt and paying a yearly sales tax is my redemption}
The people who use online retailers as opposed to local retailers have found their needs better met that way. If the locals fail to convince enough people their needs are better met at a physical store, they'll go out of business and the resources they currently employ will be liquidated and put to uses society values more highly.
Quote:
Sure, it's easy to find what I'm looking for with a quick search. But it's nowhere near as fun as finding the hidden gem in one stack while you didn't even know there was a store there to begin with.
That's one thing I hate about online stores - their organization never seems to be very good(I think I might've bought all of one book I didn't know about by looking through online shelves - and I might've actually bought it from Half Price; my memory's fuzzy on that).
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
As I stated earlier, I think it's inevitible that we will eventually all be paying sales tax on most, if not all, online purchases. The revenue potential is too great, and the states want it, bad. Texas, New York, and California are just the beginning.

If that is where we're all heading, then I think it would also be better for everyone if the feds were to enact legislation to standardize the rules regarding the collection of sales tax on online interstate commerce. I suspect that what we're going to get, though, is a patchwork of different rules in different states, which will make the whole thing complicated and confusing.
GDFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
As I stated earlier, I think it's inevitible that we will eventually all be paying sales tax on most, if not all, online purchases. The revenue potential is too great, and the states want it, bad. Texas, New York, and California are just the beginning.

This past Febuary, Amazon opened a sizable office complex in MA, giving them a physical presence in Massachusetts. Federal court rulings require them to collect state tax because of this. Apparently, our governor wants nothing to do with it. So I suppose not all states want it as much as you think. Yeah, I don't get it either.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Amazon with its size and IT support will have no problem collecting and remitting sales tax to 40 some odd states. However, smaller online stores are going to go crazy.

They will have to apply for a sales tax license in every state and in most cases renew every year. They will have to program their sales pages to calculate sales tax on 40 odd states and see that the money gets sent to the appropriate state.

This will probably be enough of burden to drive smaller online stores out of business. While some Brick and morter stores may feel that it is only just, we will be left with fewer options.

Foreign stores will be next. Very Happy
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

This will probably be enough of burden to drive smaller online stores out of business. While some Brick and morter stores may feel that it is only just, we will be left with fewer options.

Foreign stores will be next. Very Happy

And this, my friends, is why big business supports regulations.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
However, smaller online stores are going to go crazy.

They will have to apply for a sales tax license in every state and in most cases renew every year. They will have to program their sales pages to calculate sales tax on 40 odd states and see that the money gets sent to the appropriate state.

Its can be even worse since counties in one state can have a different local sales tax. That is a lot of work for small online business.

[
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I think it'll be a good thing, at least for B&M stores Amazon competes with. One of the biggest customer grabs (either than the lower prices) IS the fact that no one has to pay tax on their items. Maybe now this'll help some B&M stores thrive a bit more, since maybe some people will actually go to them, if they have to pay taxes either way?
gsilver

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
Online prices are still vastly cheaper. Amazon regularly sells $60 games for $36. and in an extreme example, I bought a CD from them last year with a "regular price" of 9.99, and a sale price of 7.99. The same CD in a store? $15. It's also a lot cheaper to not pay for the gas to go to a store, and you can find what you're looking for on Amazon in less time than it would take to walk from your car, already in the parking lot, to the entrance of a store, nevermind the driving time and the time it takes to find it in a store. Also, no annoying sales people following you around.

When you look at all that, enforcing sales tax (which you're supposed to pay, anyway) is still no big deal.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:03 am Reply with quote
lmfao
I just started buying tons of anime bluray from amazon this past year since they've been buying in bulk and selling at budget prices.

since I live in TX, if they start charging sales tax I am going to have to cut back a ton of my disc spending.

that's probably a good thing though.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:41 am Reply with quote
potatochobit, just get a $10, year-long GotAnime membership with rightstuf. You'll get equal or better prices the majority of the time through them. Plus the satisfaction of knowing you're supporting a company that cares about the industry. Even without the membership the prices are usually pretty close, and you won't pay tax and will get free shipping on $50+ orders.

Just a few examples from titles TRSI has on their front page, for TX residents.

Panty & Stocking [amazon]: $50 (+ tax in July)
Panty & Stocking [TRSI w/ Membership]: $35 (funimation catalog discounts this week)

Arrietty BD [amazon]: $30 (+ tax in July)
Arrietty BD [TRSI w/ Membership]: $32

K-ON!! S2P1 BD [amazon]: $63 (+ tax in July)
K-ON!! S2P1 BD [TRSI]: $42 (currently on sale, not eligible for membership discount)
gsilver

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Another reason why retail is messed up:

I needed some light bulbs, so I went to the store today. $13 for a pack of 4 GE Reveal bulbs.
The exact same package on Amazon? They list a "Retail Price" of $10, but they'll sell it for $3.90. With 2-day shipping. That's less than a third of what it would cost in a retail store.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
Another reason why retail is messed up

Retail is not "messed up". Do you know how many people you have to pay when you put items on B&M shelves? Amazon has a minimal workforce, compares to store chains, and buy in LARGE bulk and are able to sell them. If B&M stores priced things the same as Amazon, they would go broke pretty fast, never making profit.

It doesn't work the same and although I love Amazon and use it often, they are notorious for predatory pricing.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:13 am Reply with quote
Predatory pricing is what I like. More money for me to spend elsewhere.

I do disagree with calling retail "messed up" for having a higher price though. It's a price of a speed/localization/etc. and in some cases that's of value.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:55 am Reply with quote
Details on the terms in Cali here.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Latest news.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3