• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Adult Swim Brings Back Toonami Block Starting on May 26

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Toonami was the best block of anime & action cartoons of ALL TIME! I look forward to its GLORIOUS RETURN!

Sure people can complain about how its still only on Saturday nights and on late night and more like Midnight run then regular Toonami. But those people can bite me, lol. TOONAMI'S BACK! And I for one welcome it with open arms. And hopefully over time it can consume ALL of Saturday night. Here hoping! Cool
PipingHotTea

Wish come true Very Happy but I wonder what show will they bring back to circulation. I would love to see Cybersix show again but anything like Outlaw Star, Gundam, or any old anime would make me a happy camper.
LUNI_TUNZ

RyanSaotome wrote:
While I guess its kinda cool from a nostalgia standpoint, it kinda seems pointless nowadays. Nearly everything you'd ever want to see is on demand on the internet, and you don't have to adhere to TV schedules. Personally I think Cable TV is pretty much dead outside of sports.

No shame in trying to create new interest.

Cable TV is not "dead".
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Happy to have it back, though the question is what's gonna fill those empty spots on the schedule? For now I'm betting on 'classic shows' until they can negotiate rights for some new blood so to speak.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
notazaku

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Considering the only time I watch [as] these days is on Saturday evenings, I'm quite happy about this. Well if only to bid farewell to those crappy [as] bumpers, mainly the old woman and the computer. I mean what drug-addled mind came up with that nonsense.
Ryan227

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Well if it's anything like the April fools night then this should be a good thing for Funimation. I don't particularly care, it's not going to win over new fans by showing 10+ year old anime after midnight on a Saturday night. I'm still waiting for the new anime shows they said they had like 5 months ago Confused
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
YYYYYYYEEEEEESSSSS!!!!!!!!

Though it will pretty much pale in comparison to the Toonami we remember, whether it be the weekdays, or Saturday nights.

I do wonder what new shows they'll have as there are three empty slots on the schedule.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WindAlchemistJen

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather see TOM and the Absolution between segments of anime than those whatever the heck those are bumpers that AS airs now. So, this is a very good thing.

Now, we just need to know what they're going to air in those empty slots. I'm hoping they can get the rights for some older shows as well as newer shows. Smile
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I hope this gives Funimation more hints to pick up the Sailor Moon series because they can no longer get away with showing the DIC version since it's on adult swim now., and I kind of wish they would add in a couple of Comedies here and there like Azumanga Daioh and School Rumble, you know for more variety to gain more viewers, all in all I'm hoping they bring back "A month of Miyazaki."

Last edited by yotsubafanfan on Wed May 16, 2012 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
The Schedule ANN put up seems debatable, My guess is FMA and what not are just place holders until they announce what new shows if any they have acquired. But yeah at the very least there will still be New Bleach until they put up some new shows.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
As I said before, I don't see this making a big splash as far as bringing back new fans. But I don't see this as ever making less people than there are watching Adult Swim late saturday nights either, so I can't imagine anything bad happening as a result out of this like some anime fans have been arguing. No, there won't likely be shows with an otaku appeal that certain fans here like to keep vocally arguing about (case in point, you're not gonna get Haganai on TV if you even wanted that). But again, I don't see this doing any harm to a time of the week on Adult Swim that's for the most part already dead space.

That being said, I have just one thing to say about all of this.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
So they are bringing it back as nostalgia, but once that nostalgia dies off in a month or two, then what? Keep running more FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, and GitS but under a new name? Hopefully you'll see that schedule start at 6 PM with virgin programming to US TV.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Wed May 16, 2012 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
What an interesting way to start off this summer
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
So they are bringing it back as nostalgia, but once that nostalgia dies off in a month or two, then what? Keep running more FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, and GitS but under a new name?

This is basically what I think will happen. Its a cool idea in theory to get anime back on TV... but once people realize that there are other, more efficient ways to get it, why stick with Toonami? Is anyone going to be waiting the week for new episodes of a show they really like when they can find it easily online?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
OH FOR **** SAKES, ENOUGH COWBOY BEBOP ALREADY!!

Get some new material, even if it takes another month or two to push the relaunch back further. Geez Louise, everybody knows how it ends already, we don't need to be reminded again and again and again......

Last edited by Sunday Silence on Wed May 16, 2012 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13