• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Funimation Announces Deadman Wonderland Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:57 pm Reply with quote
JDuks wrote:

It's not like we're hating Madoka. Deadman Wonderland is a third rate anime at best.

Funny, because I do hate Madoka. I think it is the worst magical girl series alive.

Don't go spewing your opinions out as fact. I think ANYTHING is better than what Madoka was.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Funny, because I do hate Madoka. I think it is the worst magical girl series alive.

That's... I dunno, kinda surprising coming from you to be honest. Why do hate Madoka Magica?
sarroush

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Makina - Colleen Clinkenbeard

Sooooooooooo predictable.
Will check it out for her sake, since she's a decent voice actress. My hopes are never up for dubs though.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:

That's... I dunno, kinda surprising coming from you to be honest. Why do hate Madoka Magica?

Because it tries to pass itself off as the "greatest magical girl show ever" when it's not. It's just dark for the sake of being dark. All magical girl shows are dark, but people praise Madoka for being "OMG Awesome!" when it just took the normal formula and hacked it to piece.

It copied Mai Hime and Lyrical Nanoha's plots. It was just dark for the sake of being dark and the characters just turned me off. Why should I like them when all they're going to do is cry in a pitty pot about how their lives suck? Some light hearted moments and comedy moments make me like characters...and then when it turns dark, then you feel sorry for them. But when it's dark from the very beginning? No, just no.

But anyway, back on topic.

I'll check this out once it hits Toonami. I heard some good things about it but not willing to blind buy, so kinda glad to see it on TV.
contagion888

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I honestly think we should all watch it regardless if the dub isn't good or not. The higher the rating for the new Toonami, the higher the budget goes. Which means more and higher quality shows. However I from what I saw of Deadman Wonderland (the first 5 episodes) it was decent. Though I hear the manga is far superior, but what manga isnt...
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:

Because it tries to pass itself off as the "greatest magical girl show ever" when it's not. It's just dark for the sake of being dark. All magical girl shows are dark, but people praise Madoka for being "OMG Awesome!" when it just took the normal formula and hacked it to piece.

I don't think IT tries to pass itself of the the greatest magical girl show ever, I think it's FANS do.

That said, I think it's alright. I'm enjoying it (I recently started watching it), But while I don't think it's the BEST, I don't think it's the worst.
DragonSyde

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
It's okay for people to be negative with little basis about other things but when it comes to shows like this and there are legitimate reasons it's not?
People talk bad about shows like Umineko(for example), yet Deadman Wonderland gets away with being a bad adaptation. It fell flat right away, it's pacing was very off, so many things were skipped and changed. It was barely interesting. Speaking as a fan of the horror/psychological & thriller/action genres, this was one show had a lot of potential but didn't go over well with me after the first couple of episodes. The opening theme was the only thing about it that I liked. At least I don't drop series though.
I'm not a fan of most of Funimation's recent dubs but I'll give this a chance and re-watch the show on TV.

Kazemon15 wrote:

It copied Mai Hime and Lyrical Nanoha's plots. It was just dark for the sake of being dark and the characters just turned me off. Why should I like them when all they're going to do is cry in a pitty pot about how their lives suck? Some light hearted moments and comedy moments make me like characters...and then when it turns dark, then you feel sorry for them. But when it's dark from the very beginning? No, just no.

But anyway, back on topic.

I'll check this out once it hits Toonami. I heard some good things about it but not willing to blind buy, so kinda glad to see it on TV.

Madoka actually has legitimate reasons for it's wide ranged popularity. But the show and it's creators never said it was the "best ever."

Last edited by DragonSyde on Tue May 22, 2012 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
contagion888 wrote:
I honestly think we should all watch it regardless if the dub isn't good or not. The higher the rating for the new Toonami, the higher the budget goes. Which means more and higher quality shows. However I from what I saw of Deadman Wonderland (the first 5 episodes) it was decent. Though I hear the manga is far superior, but what manga isnt...

True dat! I'm all for supporting Toonami!

Even if I really, REALLY don't like it, I'll just mute it and leave the TV on while I do something else. But I'll give it a chance first.
contagion888

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I was at the Cartoon Network panel at AWA 08 when they announced they were doing away with it the first time... I don't want to go through that again.
nyunyuelf

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Deadman Wonderland was not a bad anime, but many things were missing; I've read the manga and it continues far past where the anime left off. Still want to see it for the heck of it;
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Roxas4ever wrote:
Oh God, Greg Ayres, seriously?!

He has the most grating voice on the planet. Seriously. I hate hearing him.

Darn, and I was looking forward to watching this show again in English.

Greg Ayres did a great job as Frieza in Dragonball Z Kai. There's no reason to believe he wouldn't rock in the lead in Deadman Wonderland!

Totally psyched about Monica Rial as Shiro!
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Greg Ayres did a great job as Frieza in Dragonball Z Kai.

Eeehhh... that was Chris Ayres. That was Greg's brother, Chris Ayres as Frieza.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
LagannImpact wrote:
Greg Ayres did a great job as Frieza in Dragonball Z Kai.

Eeehhh... that was Chris Ayres. That was Greg's brother, Chris Ayres as Frieza.

Oh, MY bad. Greg was...Chrono in Chrono Crusade, I believe?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I am not a fan of Greg Ayers as a lead character, but his voice makes sense for Ganta. Ayers' voice sounds similar to the Japanene counterpart.

I would like to rewatch the series (which was okay but not that good) in English just to hear Colleen Clinkenbeard voice Makina, the only worthwhile character in Deadman Wonderland IMO.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Seems like a solid cast to me. There's gonna be a lot of Eric Vale and Monica Rial heard on Saturday night (both are also major characters in Cashern Sins). I haven't seen this series, but when I read the description of the lead, I had a gut feeling Greg would likely be cast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4