• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Twelve Kingdoms (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I doubt they're continuing the series. They originally planned for more episodes than 45 (something like 64 episodes), but for some reason (I think it was budget shortage) it was cut short. A four-year-old series which has already spanned 45 episodes and has no announcement for continuation is most likely to just stay at 45 episodes.

A shame though, Twelve Kingdoms really did end abruptly in the middle of nowhere.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:18 pm Reply with quote
There's a bit more to it than that. Something like 96 episodes were originally planned, but the series was, IIRC, not far from outstripping the novels on which it was based when it ended.

There were also concerns about what direction the story would take. Although Youko is the main character throughout most of the anime series, she wasn't the central character for that long in the novels and faded into the background the later stories. There were concerns that a shift in story focus in the anime might be damaging to the popularity of the anime.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the series resumed at some point in the future, once the novels are finished, perhaps, because it has been one of the more popular series of fantasy novels in Japan. (It's more likely to happen, I'd say, then more Berserk or Cowboy Bebop ever being made.) If it does happen, though, it probably won't be for quite a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dragoonlord1984

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Hey thanks appreciate the answers... I hope that they choose to continue the series..

Do you know where I could come across a translated version of the books? I'm highly interested on how it goes, and also does the anime follow the books accurately ( I know there is at least a small margin of error)
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote
The books haven't been translated, but from what I've heard said in interviews and articles, there are some major differences with the novels. The character of Sugimoto was invented for the anime to allow a voice for some of Youko's internal dialogue, for instance, and as mentioned before, Youko isn't the main character past the earlier parts of the novel series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Apparently my opinion differs from that of many viewers in Japan, but I would not mind one bit having the story told from many different angles. In fact, I'd prefer it that way rather than having to see it from only one character's point of view. The highlight of the series, to me, is the world itself, which is vast, beautiful, and complicated. Being able to view the world and the previous events from a completely different angle would be quite exciting. Also, being able to see how the characters view each other would be great as well.

EDIT: Heh, 45 posts at the time of writing this, one post per episode of Twelve Kingdoms!
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:43 am Reply with quote
Considering I would rate this show as my number 4 favorite, I would absolutely completely agree that there should be more of this show. I cannot think of a better show that was canceled early and should be finished, no matter how long after the first was made (assuming it could be of the same quality of course).

I also do not particularly care what direction the story would take, as I am also smitten with the world. It takes an absurdly long time to get all the terminology and systems down, but once you do I doubt anyone could dislike the world.

I had to force my roomate to watch the first 13 eps, but after it was all said and done it's one of his favorite shows he's ever seen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vickeyv

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:26 am Reply with quote
Actualy i think its sorta good that the rest is left to the novles. C mon they aren't alot of great novles out there and i think the novles have got a US release or will get one soon.
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:17 am Reply with quote
The Boogiepop Phantom and .hack// novels are getting translated and released in the States (among others), and fans have been clamoring for the 12 Kingdoms novels for years now, so anything's possible.

I'd also like to see the Banner/Crest of the Stars novels done, but that's a different topic.
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:44 am Reply with quote
I could be wrong, but I believe one of my acquaintances (who is a big fan of the show) mentioned that part of the problem is the author has not completed the books, and possibly stopped writing them for a long span of time. I don't know where she obtained this info, but if it's factual it would explain why the show just cut off, rather than wandering along until it could follow the book's plot again.

I've only seen through the first 20 episodes thus far. The first 8 or so had me reaching for the remote. But when the 'explanation' episode came along, I finally felt comfortable with the show, and began to really enjoy it. I'd like to see more episodes, but for now I'm trying to catch up with the series I own first. Nearly got the Twelve Kingdoms the other day as it was on special at TRSI, but decided buying a microwave was more important. ;p
Dragoonlord1984

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I see, for me I believe that the story is good enough where it doesn't have to center on Youko anymore and can truly span off anywhere.... the end episodes did that as well with the Story of Gen.

It may be longer then expected especially if I want to buy regular instead of Bootleg or Fansub Sad
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I have a question about the series. If Shoryu is also a Taika shoudn't he look different once he returned via the Shoku? Is his character design subtly different like Yoko's? Rokuta doesn't look very different besides his golden hair as well. It's been some time since I've watched the series but can anyone confirm if there character designs change? I actually liked the Taiki story better than Yoko's.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Well you're confuzzling names for one Laughing Rokuta isn't a Taika, Rokuta is the kid who sold his soul to the youma and tricked Enki. Enki however is prob the taika you're talking about.

You're right the emperor of En doesn't look that much different, which I also thought was a little odd; but Enki does look different, in fact if you put pictures of them side by side you wouldn't recognize them as the same person I guarantee it Wink

UNLESS you're comparing the way he looks to the way he looks in Wa while searching for Taiki, then you're right he does look the same. I'd assume that's because he's gone home and his true form has come out. Remember they liken it to an egg, and when they come home the egg breaks and they come out in their "true" form; I don't know about you but I can't exactly how that process would reverse itself Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Well you're confuzzling names for one Laughing Rokuta isn't a Taika, Rokuta is the kid who sold his soul to the youma and tricked Enki. Enki however is prob the taika you're talking about.

Actually, Randall's right, Selenta. Rokuta is Enki's human name - Enki is his title as Kirin of En. Kouya was the boy who Rokuta befriended. He named his Youma after Rokuta, which may be what you're thinking.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
It was airing on Imaginasian up until yesterday, and they just stopped at episode 26. Today they were giving a different show. Yea, I'm pissed. It was getting really good too. I wanted to see how Shoukei, Youko, and Suzu were connected.
I really do think the novels will come out here. The Kino's Journey novels are, so why not?

So if Sugimoto was created just for the novel, was Asano also?? Because he kinda seemed important only as far as the Sugimoto/Youko drama was concerned.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I believe on one of the "extras" interviews it is mentioned that Asano was also created to have a male character amongst the school kids. The creation of Sugimoto bothered me since it reminded me a bit too much of Fushigi Yugi. I also didn't care for how Asano's character was resolved. This is yet another series that is highly regarded in Japan, but didn't do very well in the States. If you choose browse by series at amazon, the 8 titles listed are Fullmetal, ROD, Ghost in the Shell, Gundam Seed, Last Exile, 12 Kingdoms, Prince of Tennis, and Tenchi. All of which, except for Prince of Tennis which hasn't been released yet, have done better than 12 Kingdoms.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6