• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
I'm not even sure if the English VAs did pre-lay work (unfortunately)...

While it's not uncommon to do some minor re-dubbing later even for pre-lay projects, here is a behind the scenes video of the VAs dubbing the material...

http://www.the33tv.com/about/station/newsteam/kdaf-dragon-age-dawn-of-funimations-future-20120223,0,6425700.story

(around 1:28, J. Michael Tatum recording in the booth while looking at the completed video = dubbing, if it was pre-lay there'd be no completed video yet. As far as I know pre-lay jobs don't have completed video before recording the lines, so the VAs have to either imagine the character or see some sketches to aid them)

The movie did come out in Japan first. Nothing against the Japanese cast but if Funimation and Bioware/EA are going to spend all that money wouldn't it make sense to make the English track a higher priority and actually make it a pre-lay voice-over project for the English cast instead of a dubbing project? Confused

I'm surprised there's even a Japanese audio track at all tbh. More money being spent. I thought these FUNi co-productions would be like Afro Samurai (pre-lay project that happened to be anime) but it seems like it was just another co-production project like Witchblade that got a dubbed English track afterwards.
nokishoff

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately I agree with some of the other post. I saw one preview and knew I would never buy or even watch this.

I bought TO when that was released. While the premises of the plots were cool and the dub voice actors did a fantastic job with what they had to work with, I was not impressed. There was no feeling of real emotions at all, it was lifeless, and this looks so much worse.

I wish Funimation’s co-productions were for shows that could have more seasons but probably never will. Like Gunslinger Girl or more recently The Legend of the Legendary Heroes.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
Never played the games, but was interested enough to buy the DA: Dawn Of The Seeker BD. Not knowing anything about the DA universe, I still thought the movie contained a decent enough stand alone story.

Quote:
So we're following Cassandra, who the film really wants us to love – mostly because she's so brash, serious and in need of an ass to kick. They give us no reason to care about her other than that.

Not sure why the reviewer thought there was no reason to care. There was a flashback scene that specifically spelled out why she became so motivated.

I agree that the CG animation could be better, especially considering what we've seen from the folks at Square and other firms. As much as I look at it as Oxybot's "style" and accept it for what it is, it's looking dated, especially the lack of detail on character rendering. Still, there were some impressive scenes involving the dragons, especially towards the end.

I'm not familiar with the Mass Effect world, but I'm interested in the Funi co-produced movie related to it as well, and will be picking it up when it comes out. That Production I.G. is involved in that project is a big plus.

All in all, I enjoyed Dawn Of The Seeker, as did a friend of mine who was watching it with me. Personally I don't feel I wasted my money, though I might watch it a little less frequently than Appleseed or Vexille.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
GhostShell wrote:

All in all, I enjoyed Dawn Of The Seeker, as did a friend of mine who was watching it with me. Personally I don't feel I wasted my money, though I might watch it a little less frequently than Appleseed or Vexille.

Oh, thank god, someone else who finally has something positive to say about this movie. I watched it at the NA premiere at Sakura-con in early April, and absolutely loved it - so seeing all of the negative comments that have arisen up for it, particularly before its mainstream release, has been rather disheartening.

While I agree that it would have been nicer to see something along the lines of Advent Children CG, I just can't see what the issue is regarding Dawn of the Seeker's animation. Sure, it's not *typical* CG style, more of a mixed media style, but I don't think it's *terrible*. In fact, given the budget they probably had to work with, I'd rather they use this style then attempt something more realistic - the fight scenes (some of the best parts of the movie) would have likely looked a lot less fluid.

What I do have to disagree with is the comment that this is a fluff piece, and that there's no reason to care about Cassandra. This movie serves as an in-between between Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II. It actually serves as a prequel to DA2, as the second game is a flashback. The final scene of the move is a direct lead-up, in fact, explaining how Cassandra got her hands on the book and why she was in Kirkwall seeking out the Champion. For someone interested in the lore and story of Dragon Age, this movie and its story are really a must-see.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I laugh that this even exists.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
sounds like its of standard bioware quality to me was gonna avoid anyway.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Augh. I haven't seen Dawn of the Seeker yet--although I probably will eventually because I'm a fan of the Dragon Age series and I have a morbid curiosity about this--but from the review it sounds like it came out about as well as I expected it to. The Mass Effect anime looks like it's off to a somewhat better start, so here's hoping that one works out better.

Well I'm gonna give it a try cause people said the same thing for the Halo Legends. if it's anything like it, i'm definitely will enjoy it even though i dont know crap about the Dragon Age series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
raradragoon

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
woow, it seems so far i'm one of the few who likes it. I will admit the setting timeline wise is confusing to me, since i have played both games, but other then that it was fun movie to watch. I say this as a person who love watching bad sci-fi/fantasy movies like the Battleship movie, so believe me when i say i know bad movies, and this doesn't come close. Also i should probably point out i saw this at Anime Boston.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
I'm not even sure if the English VAs did pre-lay work (unfortunately)...

While it's not uncommon to do some minor re-dubbing later even for pre-lay projects, here is a behind the scenes video of the VAs dubbing the material...

http://www.the33tv.com/about/station/newsteam/kdaf-dragon-age-dawn-of-funimations-future-20120223,0,6425700.story

(around 1:28, J. Michael Tatum recording in the booth while looking at the completed video = dubbing, if it was pre-lay there'd be no completed video yet. As far as I know pre-lay jobs don't have completed video before recording the lines, so the VAs have to either imagine the character or see some sketches to aid them)

The movie did come out in Japan first. Nothing against the Japanese cast but if Funimation and Bioware/EA are going to spend all that money wouldn't it make sense to make the English track a higher priority and actually make it a pre-lay voice-over project for the English cast instead of a dubbing project? Confused

I'm surprised there's even a Japanese audio track at all tbh. More money being spent. I thought these FUNi co-productions would be like Afro Samurai (pre-lay project that happened to be anime) but it seems like it was just another co-production project like Witchblade that got a dubbed English track afterwards.

In Japan, it's rare that they record the dialogue before the animation is at least partially complete. Japanese voice actors also record with a timecode, and match timing to the animation visible on a screen in front of them. The only difference is that they usually record as a group.

I guess FUNi's studios are more equipped for dubbing, since they probably don't even have a booth with more than one microphone.
opn

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
JoePianist wrote:
I don't want this movie. I NEVER wanted this movie, nor have I ever asked for it to be made.

I dont think anyone wanted this movie being made. As for the movie itself im not interested in dragon age but the movie sounds really bad which makes me want to stay away from it even more.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Stuff like this hurts the idea of Co productions in my mind. The aim with them is to expand the anime market and try to pull new people into the fold but the issue here is if what you are making is not of a reasonable quality anyone who buys it will feel burned and not want to touch anime again.

I already have seen this happen in person. A friend of mine who had no idea what anime was had bought that Halo thing that came out awhile back and hated it so much it pretty much turned him off to anime forever. That does more harm then good.

This stuff needs to be done more carefully then it is. Nearly every co pro we have seen has been horrid. Those Dead Space movies the Dante's Inferno thing the Halo thing they were all bad. The only thing I can think of that I really enjoyed was Witchblade and I have no idea if that was a Co Pro as we know them or just taking the concept of Witchblade and running with it to create something original(which is what it seemed like to me)

I have long known this was gonna turn out badly and wanted to in some way speak up to FUnimation over on their site and say this looks like crap. You guys have to know that it looks like crap right? But I didn't want to come off looking like a ass. I hope to god the Mass Effect project turns out better. At the very least it will have better animation but still there needs to be more then that to make it a success.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
@Reibooi - I don't know all the ins and outs of Witchblade, but I don't believe it was co-production the way Dawn of the Seeker is. Top Cow Productions, Inc is credited with "Original Concept" in Witchblade, but they don't show up in Production list the way that Funi, BioWare and EA Games show up in the Dawn of the Seeker production list.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
I have been yelling it from the heaven! MAKE A ANIME MOVIE BASED OFF OF THE GODFATHER MOVIES!!! USE MADHOUSE TO ANIMATE!.. Do you guys know how successful that would be? Hurry up before like one of the original actors die or something!

I don't understand what's up with you and The Godfather movie and anime remake. What's wrong with the movie?? Geez if you want Japan to remake The Godfather why don't they just remake it like Japan did for Ghost, Sideways. Now would you stop complaining.

Anyway, as soon as I saw the trailer for this film. I knew this was not going to be good. This animation is not how I want Dragon Age to be like. It should look more like this:

Last edited by mdo7 on Thu May 31, 2012 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully the Mass Effect one is at least a little better than this.

I can see why not many would care, Cassandra is a such a minor character in Dragon Age 2. Basically all she does is sit there and be narrated to by Varric. Now Varric is who they should have made this about.

The Mass Effect one is supposed to be about James Vega, which actually sounds interesting, as I like Vega a lot in ME3.
Relenus

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
AnimeMaine wrote:
I too was turned off by the trailer. The review seems appropriate in light of what I saw. The only comment I have about the review; it would have been easier to follow if there were links for "mocap" and "aliasing". I had to check other sites for definitions. [At least I know what "CG" is, but there might be people who are unfamiliar with that term too.]

Same here. I was kinda interested in DotS, but those trailers just killed it for me. Some of those CG backgrounds look like they were rendered on the PS2 at launch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4