• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
The Abided wrote:
I'm a fan of a lot of stupid comedy, but my memories of this show leave me with no desire for ever seeing it again. I have no idea why Toonami ever even gave it try...

Ditto. I took one look at the preview back then on CN and said "God no."
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:49 am Reply with quote
I'm also not sure the reviewers knowledge of the show, but this is also a slightly different dub than the one that aired on CN - I felt that should be mentioned.

belvadeer wrote:
The Abided wrote:
I'm a fan of a lot of stupid comedy, but my memories of this show leave me with no desire for ever seeing it again. I have no idea why Toonami ever even gave it try...

Ditto. I took one look at the preview back then on CN and said "God no."

That's a fair way to evaluate things.
_Archer_

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
Eh, I personally believe this is probably one of the best comedy anime ever made.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh,I remember this show,and I agree with a lot of what the review said. This show is straight up weird. If Gonzo the Great from the Muppets made a comic book or an animated cartoon,it would be a lot like "Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo."
I watched a little bit of this show when it was on Cartoon Network. It didn't last too long there. I'm amazed that anyone put out a DVD of this show. I don't know if anyone will watch this. This would make a darn good rental but I don't know if anyone would want to buy it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Firechick:
Quote:
Seriously, people! Why is everyone thinking that S'More intentionally lied about the whole subtitle thing on purpose?!

Because they did? They knew we wouldn't buy it dub-only, so they pulled shenanigans on us. And if they didn't, they're pretty damned incompetent, and shouldn't be defended, anyway.

Quote:
Not only that, they've acknowledged their mistake and plan to correct the error once sales are good!

Uh, no they haven't. The only thing they said was they'd release the second set without any Japanese tracks. That's not a correction.

Quote:
Besides, you should all be happy and grateful that S'More even had the audacity to license and re-release Bobobo when the other company kicked the bucket at four discs!

And why should I, if they didn't do any better than the last company?

Quote:
If it weren't for S'More, then Bobobo would have been given the shaft,

If it weren't for S'More, then Discotek or S23 would've gotten Bobobo, and I wouldn't be waiting another five years for that to happen.

Geo:
Quote:
S'more isn't an "anime company", but rather they are a niche media distributor who just decided to try out a couple of anime titles without seemingly having any idea of what goes into an anime release.

Hmm. Sounds familiar. Wink

Luni:
Quote:
If you open a restaurant tomorrow and can cook, and everything goes off without a hitch, you're still not gonna operate half as good as you'd hopefully operate 5 years later.

They've had prior experience in home vid, and still effed it up. So what's their excuse?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
We don't know that DiscoTek, Sentai, or anybody else would have picked up the show should S'mores not have done so. It was definitely a possibility, but not a given by any stretch of the imagination.

S'mores was incompetent, plain and simple. They have previous home video experience, but not experience with a niche market like anime. I highly doubt they were out trying to deceive anyone for a quick buck. They were just stupid.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
We don't know that DiscoTek, Sentai, or anybody else would have picked up the show should S'mores not have done so. It was definitely a possibility, but not a given by any stretch of the imagination.

S'mores was incompetent, plain and simple. They have previous home video experience, but not experience with a niche market like anime. I highly doubt they were out trying to deceive anyone for a quick buck. They were just stupid.

This is why I gave up on fandom. Some people just can't take it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
dragon:
Quote:

Of course Discotek would have picked it up! It's dubbed, and an anime which got tv exposure. That's why they're bringing over Samurai Pizza Cats. Hell, they were even looking into GE999 TV, until S'More license-blocked 'em.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2