• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Good fantasyyyyyyy, yes! How long has it been since I saw a good one? Since LOL Heroes probably.

I'm just hoping the first episode isn't just a fluke. Otherwise, it's looking really good.

I was gonna post this response in the talkback thread, but I thought it would be more interesting to discuss here.

As for what a few people are calling logical flaws, I'm not entirely sure if they qualify as logical flaws as long as there are plausible explanations left.

For example, his company could have been influential and powerful enough to cover that aspect (and from what was said, they've been around for a while. His company may have also been seen as trustworthy, which could result in a not very strict inspection (besides the man is a genius and the creator of the software/hardware, hiding some features wouldn't be that hard for him).

As for limiting the number, he could have used it to entrap the more eager players who'd be more likely to log on ASAP and get trapped at the same time. And since everyone dispersed after a while, panic wasn't an issue (not that it would affect the real world).

And he could also have disabled all the trapping features until he had his desired number of players logged on. That way no one would have suspected a thing. This again, wouldn't have been too difficult.

I also considered the players not eating anything IRL life, but then again, neither do the people in coma.

Last edited by egoist on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I came in with low hopes so they wouldn't be crushed and this seems to be very pleasant thus far. While there wasn't much to view besides explanations of some of the game terminology, it was interesting to learn about the setting.

The stakes of playing the game are made very clear so I really enjoyed that aspect. It's also interesting to note that this takes place in 2022 while Accel Worl takes place in 2046. Technology really advanced from the Nerve Gear to Neuro synchronization.

I was never much of a gamer but I think I will enjoy the MMORPG aspect of the show.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
It feels like I'm being set-up for another No. 6 or Fractale here. Hopefully not, because I'm really enjoying this. I just started downloading PSO2, in order to sate my cravings for an MMO after watching that first episode.

PSO2 is currently only in Japanese and my Japanese is pretty close to "no Japanese." Let the games begin!
AzureDragon013

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I guess I'm the only person who was rather underwhelmed by the first episode? Plotwise, nothing much was introduced aside from information already known from trailers and the description. Stylistically, maybe I'm just not that into the way the world was presented.

I'm watching more, but I didn't feel there was much there in episode 1.

I agree with you, episode 1 was just an introductory episode that gave the setting. Nothing of importance happened though I will say, someone who only read the description, enjoyed it. I like the art style, the effects are cool. The fact that there is no magic in this world greatly intrigues me. And as someone else said, while this virtual reality game genre is not new, it's rare enough to be interesting every time.

I do obviously understand why animes need this introductory episode but I wish more of them would start doing the double episode when they debut (like Accel World) especially if they know nothing really happens in their first episode.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was nice. I was surprised to find out that that maker of Accel World also did this, since the male leads are like total opposites. One is fat, scared, and a total noob in the game, while the other is skinny, rather brave, and a pro in the game because he was a beta tester.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
@WhiteHairGirls I wasn't aware of that until you just wrote it. I've been enjoying Accel World, and this first episode intrigued me. I'd be very impressed if I end up enjoying both of these series.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:36 am Reply with quote
Looks like a lot of people have read the source material, and that actually makes me a little annoyed. Ok guys, remember that this is an anime thread, I want to be able to enjoy this without getting a bunch of clues, and mentions about how the book was handling things. I am already kicking myself over reading the spoilers already placed as I did not know that they referred to the source material. I will get as mad as a certain other member if people are not more careful with marking spoilers from the source material.

Now that that is over, I really enjoyed the first episode, I did not really have any expectations before, but after watching this, I think that I have found the show that I have been looking for this season. It really clicked with me. I was reminded of the .hack series, and it felt cool to have another VR game different from the World, oh and Accel World, but this show seemed click more with me.

As for the life thing, spoiler[really trapping people and killing them, that creator is sick, he killed 2000 people in one month, that is one fifth of the players.]
誤称

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:05 am Reply with quote
The PVP in this game would be epic.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO PLAY A GAME?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:09 am Reply with quote
I like the visuals for sure. And there seems to be a more realistic approach to characterization as opposed to the Anime Database approach. I'm intrigued. I'll also be curious to see how the show deals with the fact that the players need to eat and drink in real life (not to mention be turned over and stuff to avoid bed sores) to live. That is not an invitation to all you LN readers to provide the info, thanks, I'll just take it as it comes in the anime.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'll also be curious to see how the show deals with the fact that the players need to eat and drink in real life (not to mention be turned over and stuff to avoid bed sores) to live.
Unless the characters pop in and out of the world (and I'm pretty sure they don't), I don't think I care at all. It seems like it would be enough to say "Yeah, the folks on the outside figure something out." I feel like the details of providing medical care for someone in a coma would be outside the scope of an investigation of "Hardcore mode... for realz!"

By the way, the suggestion that spoiler["In an MMO, the resources are limited" struck me as pretty silly. I mean, I can see why it might be true in this particular one, but as a general rule for the genre? You don't make money by making it impossible for new folks to join.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:51 am Reply with quote
@ Yttrbio - that may be fine for you, but I hope the writers of the show aren't as lackadaisical in their attitude. It's hardly a nitpick to wonder how that crucial element is going be handled. Also, even though the premise is by its very nature whacked and unrealistic, the show seems to have a realistic vibe to it. It's the kind of question a show of this tone should not blow off.
誤称

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Asked about a spoiler....

spoiler[In MUDs and such, having limits to items was the norm not the exception. I'd like MMOs to do the same thing. It makes for a much better playing experience. Of course, having the only Sword of Light on a large server would be problematic....]
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
So far I like Kirito a lot. :3 We're in for something epic, I can tell. Hopefully this will be what .hack//sign should've been. I'm not saying it was a bad series-far from that....but it had some things I wasn't crazy about.

So far..........Kirito>>>>>>>>>>.Tsukasa for me. :'D
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
This is a sick and twisted story and I urge any who have values and care about decent standards in Anime to avoid it. It glorifies exploitation and cruel abuse of innocent players and makes it seem ok for such an event to have happened. Yes there is a struggle to escape but the principle is about making an anime that focuses on a terrible and really awful man who uses his power over people to feed his own twisted desire for causing hurt and pain. I have no desire to see such invade anime any more than it already has, and i do not think such disgusting series should be rewarded with notice. I am very sad to see that such sick and twisted stories are being made into anime, with all the effort and time and energy that that takes, for it takes away from what could be decent and fun series. This is a sad day for anime but I am hopeful that sensitive people will speak out, and I plan to protest this to the company and to any forum that can reach decent anime lovers.
Dalvyn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:
This is a sick and twisted story and I urge any who have values and care about decent standards in Anime to avoid it. It glorifies exploitation and cruel abuse of innocent players and makes it seem ok for such an event to have happened... focuses on a terrible and really awful man who uses his power over people to feed his own twisted desire for causing hurt and pain... I am very sad to see that such sick and twisted stories are being made into anime... This is a sad day for anime

Sick and twisted you say? Glorifies exploitation you say? Cruel abuse of innocence you say?

Well I'm sold
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 274