• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Nurse Witch Komugi DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh, by the way, I am new to the term "moe." Should this be in the lexicon? I'd like to know the exact meaning and where it came from... ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:02 am Reply with quote
Saw Koumgi-chan at Otakon, loved it. Too cheap to buy it, but recommend it to those who liked Excel Saga.

As for "moe" this is from the "Ask John" column over at Anime Nation

Quote:
The Japanese concept of "moe" (pronounced "moe-ey" with a long "O" followed by a long "A") in regard to anime is a distinction of young, feminine innocence. The concept was quite popular among Japanese otaku during the early 2000's but by some reports is already dying off. The word "moe" as it's used relative to anime, is written with the kanji that literally means "to sprout." There's been some argument over the true origin of the term with suggestions including it being an abbreviation of the name Hotaru Tomoe (Sailor Saturn) from Sailormoon, it stemming from the name of the cute young female character Moe Sagisawa from the 1993 anime TV series Kyouryuu Wakusei ("Dinosaur Planet"), and it originating in the Japanese word "moero" meaning "burning" as in cute little anime characters that incite a "burning spirit" in their fans. But the most logical and commonly accepted theory is that the word comes from the idea of small, young anime girls that can be nurtured into maturity. The concept of "moe" is a recognition of a character's innocent, childlike charm and can be represented through personality or speech or both.

The best way to understand the idea of "moe" characters is through examples. Sweet, innocent and feminine young anime girls including Sakura Kinomoto of Card Captor Sakura, Hotaru Tomoe of Sailormoon, most of the cast of Sister Princess, Saya from Peacemaker Kurogane, Tsubame Sanjou of Rurouni Kenshin, and Kokoro from Kokoro Toshokan are prime examples of "moe" characters. If we look to slightly more aged characters, Chi from Chobits, Kirika of Noir, Mahoro Ando and especially Minawa from Mahoromatic, and Kurumi from Steel Angel Kurumi are also "moe." Kirika, Chi and Minawa are "moe" because they're so cypheric and malleable. Mahoro and Kurumi are both "moe" as much for their cute speech patterns as for their uninhibited and exuberant personalities.

But the characteristics of "moe" are very strict. Girls that are too mature or strong willed cannot be considered "moe." Girls that aren't eager likewise aren't "moe." For example, none of the primary characters in Love Hina or Onegai Teacher are "moe" because they're all too mature and independent. The concept of "moe" implies anime characters, usually but not exclusively female, that make viewers want to hug them and protect them and nurture them by playing the role of an elder brother or sister.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:46 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Ugh. I'm hurt. I really enjoyed this series. It's a whole lot better than that god-awful piece of crap called SoulTaker.

ah, whadda ya know anyway? Razz Actually i thought Komugi was kinda funny (while suspending my disbelief.) I'm not much for Comedy based Anime, but when there's a series that parodies the Anime Industry (especially the pathetic fanboys!) it deserves my precious 24 minutes of attention. As beatdigga mentioned, the Gatchaman parody (where the "Joe" character is so anxious to fire the bird missle.) was hilarious.

Last edited by the_soultaker on Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
coachkaveman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that the review seems harse, but I enjoyed Komugi and I still have to go buy the second disc. If your looking for a story like EVA then you may not want Komugi but if your looking for a fun little title that parodies anime and anime fandom then this is your cup of tea. I have been to alot of conventions and this
really made me laugh at times.

Ciao,

"K"
biliano*

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:48 pm Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
the Gatchaman parody (where the "Joe" character is so anxious to fire the bird missle.) was hilarious.

This is where I agree with you; the Gatchaman parody is the best part of the entire series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2