• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Streams Code Geass on YouTube

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
It's a noble effort, but until the DVD-ripped and fansubbed episodes disappear from YouTube, I fail to see how this will have a huge impact.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Zirdante wrote:
what the hell is this? Area restrictions on youtube?

Can't watch since I'm not in north america..

this is the same as crunchyroll, you can change your windows region to US. and maybe IE too. it should work. Unless it check your ip, then there is nothing we can do.

Youtube region locking is IP based.

The only way to get around it is with a proxy located in the US.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
While I understand why Bandai has to do the lockouts (not authorized to distribute Code Geass in those places) it really does seem a bit pointless.

Especially with Canada. Why can't the deal be for all North American distribution? Setting Mexico aside due to the language barrier, Canada REALLY ought to be packaged with any US deal. Same region coding, same language (mostly, I know you've got quite a bit of French speakers there too) and while I'm not very familiar with them, Canada's laws governing digital media and TV shows/anime in general don't seem THAT drastically different in effect from US laws on the subject.

I guess you've never heard of the CanCon laws then....
DFBTG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Gah, youtube. Still, I suppose once I finish watching Gunslinger Girl 2 (I do hope that Funi puts up the last few episodes....) I'll probably check out Code Geass. Glad I held off watching the fansubs of that and Gundam 00. I'm lovin' that there's more and more legal streaming anime out there, though figuring out what to watch next is kinda hard. Especially when there's not quite so legal anime out there that might not stay available as long. Whatever though, I'll stick to the legal vein until what interests me dries up. I do thank those companies deeply.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
It's a noble effort, but until the DVD-ripped and fansubbed episodes disappear from YouTube, I fail to see how this will have a huge impact.

I on the other hand, fail to see how it can NOT have a positive impact, despite any user uploaded content. The high quality version is excellent, a dub version is available, they get advertisement revenue, people might be inclined to buy their DVDs later who normally wouldn't be; and by not wasting their time and energy (which translates into not wasting money) hunting down all of the other users content, as you would want them to do, they in turn generate good will, making users feel even more inclined to tune in.

They've already had thousands of views within a week before this announcement. I'm sure it'll explode afterward.

Now the only issue I see so far--although a major one for me-- is that the CC feature used to implement the subtitles in the sub version doesn't seem to be working (I'm assuming it's supposed to be softsubbed) Crying or Very sad
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Brack wrote:

Yes, it is worth doing this song and dance every time.

Eventually they might get the message, and in the meantime it vents frustration those locked out have with this backward thinking.

Except that the people you're complaining to/about have no control whatsoever over the situation. And at the very least, airing said grievances in a forum thread which it is likely will never be read by anyone with power to change the situation is a waste of time. If you're really that upset with the situation, why not send off a feedback e-mail or letter to Bandai, or (better yet) the Japanese parties involved.

Quote:
Also last time I looked, Beez (who have Geass and 00 in Europe) was part of Bandai, so either this is down to existing contracts they have with other people or poor communication/politics within the Bandai machine.

Part of Bandai Visual, the large Japanese media conglomerate, or part of Bandai Entertainment, the small American anime distributor? The distinction makes all the difference in the world.

And to those that (rightly) state that there are still plenty of uploaded fansubs of both series all over YouTube, I think you're missing the point of moves like this. It's really more of a symbolic gesture than anything else, albeit one with practical benefits. Bandai was seeing no returns at all on any of those uploads, but now it has a means to benefit from YouTube views. Even more than that, it provides a means of eliminating excuses from those looking elsewhere, particularly considering how high-quality their streams seem to be. Couple that with efforts to remove unauthorized uploads, and they could see a significant tangible benefit.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
But you and Bandai are both missing the point of involving Youtube and their ilk, which is to eliminate the need for fansubs. All this does is slightly stifle it in the US. For the rest of the world, it's steady as she goes. We call it "Pissing into the wind".
Brack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Brack wrote:

Yes, it is worth doing this song and dance every time.

Eventually they might get the message, and in the meantime it vents frustration those locked out have with this backward thinking.

Except that the people you're complaining to/about have no control whatsoever over the situation. And at the very least, airing said grievances in a forum thread which it is likely will never be read by anyone with power to change the situation is a waste of time. If you're really that upset with the situation, why not send off a feedback e-mail or letter to Bandai, or (better yet) the Japanese parties involved.

Well, I think there is some value in raising it on "The Internet's Most Trusted Anime News Source". While they aren't in position to directly do anything about, they are in better position to raise this issue in interviews, news items and the like, than I am.

Also it helps prevent any "I'm All Right Jack" thinking from those lucky anime fans who are able to see all this content.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
But you and Bandai are both missing the point of involving Youtube and their ilk, which is to eliminate the need for fansubs. All this does is slightly stifle it in the US. For the rest of the world, it's steady as she goes. We call it "Pissing into the wind".

amended:
To reduce the need for fansubs for where it is officially available.

(is this gonna degenerate into a for-vs-against fansubs again?)

(edit: got the CC working; the flash CC control still seems unreliable; but the subs are very distracting as it uses an opaque rectangular background blocking out most of the bottom portion of the screen)

Last edited by configspace on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Hence the region-locking adding fuel to the fire of the pro-fansub arguments from other countries.

To which I ask -- why region-lock streams? It's kinda...pointless, from a standpoint of wanting as much viewership as possible.

EDIT: we should keep the comments about fansubs as brief as possible, we need not waste time with lengthy debates over them until CoA's part 2 of the fansub debate next week.
Jinxso

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Zirdante wrote:

this is the same as crunchyroll, you can change your windows region to US. and maybe IE too. it should work. Unless it check your ip, then there is nothing we can do.

You would also have to change the reference in your youtube profile from Canada to US as well if you are logged in.

Still no guarantee it will work. I will be trying it later as I am in Canada and getting screwed on this "odd" licence.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Zirdante wrote:

want an easy way to bypass?

use a US proxy its as simply as a google search.
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
This is a step in the right direction Razz . Good job Bandai I'm so proud of you Twisted Evil
Fabe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Well this certainly is good news,even though Canada does seem to be locked out at the moment more free legal anime on line is another step in the right direction. Hopefully Canadians will be able to watch soon since R1 should include Canada. As for the rest of you like Top Gun has been saying Bandai's hands are tied,legally they can only show the series in the regions there licensed for and for now that includes cyberspace. If you want to complain,complain to who ever has the license for the shows in your regions.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I would have thought that a majority of the fansubs that are available come from groups that are located in the United States. That to me looks like it's the reason that now companies are making their own Youtube channels so that viewers in the United States can view them. Still, that was some pretty high quality anime for a Youtube channel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7