• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Hey There, Sailor!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Really weird timing for things. I'd been buying the Sailor V and Sailor Moon mangas as they've come out, and just decided about a week ago to start reading them. I've read all of Sailor V and just started on Sailor Moon volume 1. Then they announce the new anime. So I start downloading some of the Japan-only extras. Then this article appears. Odd timing on this sudden Sailor Boom.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I was probably older than most people when Sailor Moon hit the airwaves down here (was in high school at the time), but since I watch as much anime as I could then (just like now), I was hooked. I never did get into S and SuperS as much as the first two seasons, maybe because I couldn't stand Chibiusa that much. But I still hope we will get classic SM on DVD one of these days, since I think a manga-centric remake in this day and age won't be THAT big.

Favorite Sailor? Toss up between Jupiter and Mercury. Mercury was pretty cute, and was wicked smart. Jupiter....was...talented.
Betenoire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
The Moon Cycle, that is just ridiculous.

...And I happen to have one sitting on a shelf with a bunch of my 5" dolls from the series, Crescent Moon Wand, Transformation Broach ans (possibly one of my favorite pieces) a Sailor Moon bubble bath container that uses doll hair for the parts that fall from her bun shaped spot on top of her head.

Loved the series and hated the 5:00 am time slot in my home market (and the 5:30 am one where I went to school wasn't any better).

The Mixxzine, the SOS days- this article was a blast to travel back in time. Kudos for the nostalgia trip Mr. Toole.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I always liked Jupiter because her design was easy-going and approachable, and goddam lightning for an attack. Not to mention, being Jupiter automatically makes her the King, of planets and the Roman pantheon, regardless of Sailor Moon being the protagonist.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
man, this article brought be back to the 90's so much it made me want to put on a flame shirt, listen to some Smash Mouth and suck on a Ring Pop

also, I didn't know there was Sailor Moon ice cream!
Nostalgiadamus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I discovered Sailor Moon on Toonami when I was waiting for Dragonball Z. There was this woman competing in a wedding dress making competition who turned into a spider woman. My first thought was thank God I don't live in a universe where woman turn into spider and my second was what is this show and why aren't I watching.
I eventually got to watch the whole first and second seasons. If I had to choose a favorite Sailor Scout I'd choose Sailor Venus because of her tragic past revealed in ADV's subbed boxset. She's got way more character than Sailor Moon.

Favorite Monster of the Day: Hell Ant from Sailor Moon R.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I remember back in late August of 1995, I was at a friend's house and we were channel surfing. Whilst we were checking out what to watch, we briefly stumbled upon the lunch time airing of Sailor Moon which was the first DiC episode. It was at the point where Molly was crying for help because she was being held by Morga. I remember how much my heart raced from watching those brief few minutes. It was animation that I have never seen before aside from Samurai Pizza Cats and I was loving it because the female characters looked really beautiful. My friend thought "Sailor Moon" out loud and had a total WTF expression on his face. He didn't seem interested but I sure as hell was.

After that I went home, I kept checking YTV frantically EVERY half hour to see if that episode of Sailor Moon was going to repeat. And sure enough, it DID air again in YTV's "Zone" block. I was GLUED to the set. I couldn't even focus on school for the first month because I was that addicted to the show back then. It was THAT big of a deal.

It also goes without saying just how enormously popular Sailor Moon was in Canada back in those days. It also achieved what I considered to be an impossibility at the time: draw in the male audience.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
The Sailor Moon R movie doesn't capture the appeal of the TV series so much as actually do it right while the TV series flails around incompetently. If the series wasn't good at silly comedy it'd be pretty useless. Even the rare interesting dramatic conflict, like that surrounding Neptune and Uranus in the third series, barely gets exploited then gets shoved aside without finishing.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
My "ordinary-looking" cousin actually introduced us to Sailor Moon when she went off to university. Friends and I would watch it at 5am on our local Fox station, that ended broadcast between 2-5am, so it was the first broadcast show of the day. We would watch it at the building common lounge area where the big TV, and so other people, who were still awake or just coming back from outside, would watch it with us (since there's really nothing else to watch on broadcast that early anyways). So that's how we got known throughout the building and how they've heard of SM. Laughing

(The rest of the non-broadcast stuff and movies we would receive from bootleggers like E. Monsoon tapes off NYC.)

SM really got more popular in Canada. The Canadian dub VAs were celebrities. And of course, the Canadian band Barenaked Ladies song One Week that mentioned it ("Gotta get in tune with Sailor Moon 'Cause the cartoon has got the boom anime babes That make me think the wrong thing") rose to #1 in Canada and near the top Billboard charts on American radio waves.

But what really broke the camel's back of Mixx was the Ron Scovil controversy, the former editor-in-chief for Mixx Entertainment and the public falling out with Mixx boss Stu Levy, which permanently tarnished the Mixx brand - and so came the new TokyoPop name rebranding.

Some of the SM fighting video games were quite simple. A friend just threw us the (Neo Geo?) controllers, and without knowing anything, we just started doing Street Fighter combos, and they have the same moves. Laughing

Though imagine, back in those times, going into B&M stores and buying swag like this:

Interesting experience. Laughing

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
I'm bit of sailor Jupiter fan myself due to her tomboyish attitude, kick-ass nature etc.

Interesting story about a friend whose she's also his favorite since she reminded him of a past girlfriend. He jokingly wanted to ask what her bra size was, but if ya knew SM fandom at those time, it was more............ shall we say, keeping the minds off the gutter. Laughing

Fans wanted to keep SM from being associated with anime=pr0n which was the prevalent view amongst the public at that time. (Especially the various anime mailing lists ran by Japanese uber otaku Hitoshi Doi where discussions were almost scholarly in manner - but where everybody wanted to get in due to its wealth of insider info but ya'd need an invite and a member vouch for ya to get in, while ya can get thrown out if ya act like a blithering fanboy.)

Anyways, continuing on, so back then the Netscape browser allowed ya to send email straight from the browser without needing to specify a mail-server, and ya can put any return address you like. So I exploited that hole and sent that very bra question to one of the other mailing lists, with my friend's email as the return address. Haha, the firestorm was awesome! Filled his mailbox real quick! Twisted Evil

Many of the responses were incredulous - mainly girls. Some were sympathetic and wanted to ask the same thing but couldn't - mainly guys. Some were just amused and neutral and tried to provide an answer the best they can. But it was mostly all good fun.

So yes, Jupiter. Ahem, never did remember the answer to that one. Laughing

Charred Knight wrote:
The sailor scout I always preferred was Venus, I have no idea why Sailor Mercury was the most popular sailor scout, she barely twirls when she transforms.

She's the quiet "approachable" smart girl that nerds like. Laughing
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I had seen a few movies and ova's, but Sailor Moon was the first series I saw that I knew was anime.I still remember how frustrated I was when the original DiC run ended without finishing R. I was so excited when I found episode synopses on the Internet (fansubs weren't as ubiquitous back then). I still wonder if I would have become as big a fan if I didn't have that long gap between new episodes to drive me crazy.

I would say my favorite scout now is Venus too.She was so weird and manic. The episode spoiler[where she becomes upset that the bad guys haven't tried to take her heart crystal] is one of my favorites.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
First caught it on syndication and tried my best to watch it since then. Got the Irwin dolls of the Inner Scouts and really liked doing the hair and play fighting. One of the many anime gateways for me, but still holds a special spot. Sailor Moon is my favorite, as she has a mix of being clumsy and being "perfect" in certain areas.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I was one of the ones here in who lived in Canada, where it was huge! I was in grade four when Sailor Moon came out. I loved it to death and watched it whenever possible and taped it too. I made sure to never miss a YTV episode. Also we watched Samurai Pizza Cats, DBZ and Dragon ball too.

They played the Dark Moon arc before the Doom Tree which messed us all up Anime hyper But that got sorted out eventually.

Then I found 2 or so years (I was 10 or 11) later I found VHS fansubs being sold an an anime store downtown. I was amazed in disbelief and bought my very first fansub and hearing, seeing and reading Japanese for the first time. I could not believe how much better this was in Japanese. My brother found the subbed DBZ and we watched the two of them Smile

I would tell my friends about Sailor Moon in Japanese and they thought i was crazy! But I bought more and more buying all the movies, random episodes of SuperS, Sailormoon R and S and then Stars. This opened up my world to anime and fansubs and never turned back to dubs. I slowly grew out of Sailormoon and onto Card Captor Sakura, Di Gi Charat, Fruits Basket and so on.

My friend was a huge fan too and had the manga among other manga translated by the dozens. she would lend them to me at anytime. I too noticed weird inconstancies with the comics too.

My favorites were Venus, Saturn and Chibiusa (in SuperS).
Sorrior

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Saturn is my favorite. I don't care if her "real form" is a young girl about chibi Usas age. She kicks ass and was if i recall right stated to be the most powerful and destructive of all the scouts. Was enough for me. Though i also like Jupiter and Mercury.
witchlingaria

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon was one of the shows I loved before knowing what anime was, and it especially stands out to me because for years and years my mother refused to let me watch it...not for the reasons one might think, but because "that girl is so rude to her mother."

It wasn't until 2004 or so that I finally convinced her that it wasn't as bad as she thought, and I rented the Sailor Moon R movie from Blockbuster every single time we went there. Still, I didn't get to see the show in its entirely until 2011, and I'm waiting on my tiptoes for my younger brother to be old enough to be able to keep up with subtitles so I can share Sailor Moon with him.

My favorite Sailor was always Pluto, because she's so put-together and elegant, unlike the others.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Sailormoon, the show I can blame for my love of magical girls... It's cost me so much money over the years, especially if I count the other magical girl series I branched off into later. Then we're talking thousands of dollars. But I wouldn't trade the joy Sailormoon has brought me since I first saw it in 1999, not even for the world.

My favorite senshi? I have two. The first is Saturn, because I could identify with her as someone who was sickly and didn't have many friends. Chibimoon is also my favorite. She's a loyal friend and is always working hard to achieve her dreams. And she's pink.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8