• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dororo GN 1-3

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
They're only doing the first three volumes of Black Jack in hardback, unfortunately, and those are only supposed to be available from bricks and mortar outlets.

More specifically, the limited edition hardcovers (with extra stories) are a Diamond exclusive, so only comic shops and bookstores with DIamond accounts will have them. (Online comics retailers might have them if they carry manga.) I've only seen volume one in hardcover at Fully Booked, for instance. Bookstore prices for Vertical's titles are pretty good (less than cover price at current exchange rates).
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
You really should snap the hardcovers, unless you wanna pay a fortune for 'em on E-Bay. Though it still won't be the "complete" collection, as there are still five "banned" stories from the series.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quote
If you miss out on the hardcovers, there are still five "banned" stories, so we won't have any more of a complete collection than you.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:51 am Reply with quote
Irene: I personally ain't fond of Kirihito either, but I would actually say the male lead came off like a bigger weakling than the women. Plus, if you're lookin' for a role model, the nun takes the initiative near the end of the book. As for positive female roles in Tezuka manga, as I said earlier, check out Phoenix, and even the recent volumes of Black Jack. Plus, there's a character at the end of MW who's more assertive than the male lead. I don't necessarily how they were depicted had to do with misogyny as much as spitting in the face of the "ideals" of male aggression. But it's funny that the Tezuka estate has been worried about how people of certain ethnic backgrounds would be viewed by younger fans, and the focus turns to gender.

vash: The fact that he's a nut-job doesn't make me think less of him as a scumbag. You don't go into an important profession like medicine when you've got those kinds of problems.

Moomin: People like extras. Wink

Mello: You should get the hardcovers before they charge a fortune for 'em on E-bay. But if you don't, there are still five "banned" stories Tezuka Pro will try to double-dip on us a decade or so from now. Rolling Eyes
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:32 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:
Read these and other pearls of wisdom here.

Is that supposed to be Ms. Brienza's blog?

Yup. The front journal page is here.

The latest entry would appear to be a response to this very discussion:

Quote:
Manga and anime are filled to the brim with images of the objectification and exploitation of women. Should we be outraged? And if so, how much?

The Real Deal Answer: It depends.

Consider the following examples, starting from the least egregious to the most:

Berserk: Rape, rape and mutilation, rape and murder, oh yeah and more rape. Some people don't like looking at graphic rape scenes, no matter what the context, and that's fine. But context in this case is paramount. Yes, it's explicit and titillating. Yes, it's eroguro. But. Rape in Berserk is what all the bad guys do, and regardless of who is involved (even sympathetic characters), it never comes without terrible consequence. After Casca is raped by Femto, for example, she becomes a simpleton who cannot talk. Although watching her totter around does get tiresome, remember that her trauma is of monstrous proportions because Femto is supposed to be the monster to end all monsters. The trauma for Guts is palatable as well; he loved her for her strength and continues to act on her behalf in spite of her weakness, not because of it. You know he'd rather have the old, warrior woman Casca back. In later volumes, Guts, possessed by creeping evil, rapes Casca himself...and there is consequence for this as well. Now, even though her mind is nearly gone, she has enough self-possession left to loathe him for it, and the dirty looks she shoots at him appear on the manga's pages like clockwork. Key here is not how much rape there is or is not in Berserk; key is how it is understood. And there is no question that it is understood in this manga as a terrible evil, something that can ruin the lives of both the victim and those closest to the victim.

Rosario+Vampire: Say hello to a harem manga series that never lets an opportunity for a panty shot joke to go by unexploited. Yes, it's annoying, but the series as a whole is so cartoonish and stupid that it's hard to take anything about it too seriously, even the panels drawn from groin-angle. (Dude, the heroine's got bubblegum-pink hair!)

Tide Line Blue: This anime series means to make big, grandiose statements about humanity, warfare, and environmental destruction. In short, High Seriousness. But in the first episode, we are introduced to a girl who looks like she's about twelve years old--and is very pregnant. She gives birth at the beginning of the show. No explanation is ever given of how she got pregnant and who the father is, which in itself might not have been so bad if it didn't look like a child with a child. For the rest of the series, she's the perfect, subservient little woman who finds self-actualization in cooking and cleaning for all the men...with a newborn infant strapped to her back that never cries. None of it is remotely realistic--yet the show would like you to believe that it is. In other words, the degree to which this sort of depiction of a female character is offensive is directly proportional to the degree to which the series expects the audience to take it seriously.

Manga by Tezuka (take your pick of the ones published in English): Women in Tezuka manga are typically one-dimensional maidens, mothers, or monsters. Oh yeah, and he also has major mother complexes going in a lot of the stories. Yes, you could argue that Tezuka is just a product of his time. (Never mind that at the height of his creative production you also saw the emergence of the Second Wave Feminist 49ers--Hagio Moto and Takemiya Keiko, ya know, don't "count.") The problem lies not with the text itself per se but the context of its reception today. All of the (male) opinion makers will tell you that Tezuka is the God of Manga, and his work should be placed up on a pedestal where it is rendered immune from criticism. But I can't tell you how many times women have come up to me and complained about the misogyny that they see in his works. No one had ever told them about it; they were not warned; they're disgusted. All they ever heard about was how great he is now in the 21st century--and then they are told they are not allowed to condemn what they see now in the 21st century that offends them. This is a big problem. If in 21st century eyes the most commercial and slapdash of Tezuka's manga are to be received now as "great" works of sequential art/literature, why can't they also be seen as misogynist in 21st century eyes? Why is only the former a valid opinion? Why should history protect Tezuka from criticism if it's what is used to justify that selfsame protection? This is the place where we, as women, should be most outraged--the marginalization is not of the female character on the page, but first and foremost of the female reader who dares take offense.

In other words, dubious sexual and gender politics are absolutely fine in contemporary manga that Casey likes but not in Tezuka's manga. No, because Tezuka sits on a pedestal erected by knuckle dragging male "opinion makers" (like, er, Shaenon Garrity and, uhm, the Sequential Tart team...). It all makes perfect sense now.

And anybody who disagrees is marginalising Casey. In fact, pointing out the gaping holes in her logic (or suggesting that she just arbitrarily fabricates hooks upon which to hang negative reviews) is clearly sexual discrimination of the foulest variety.

Would anybody like to buy a bridge?
liannesentar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
You guys can like Casey, hate Casey, or even treat her indifferently--she still provides a hell of a springboard for debate. And that's because she's an incredibly critical reviewer who looks at a work a.) in a vacuum, b.) in the context in which it was written, and c.) in the context in which it's read/critiqued today. It's true that she doesn't necessarily focus on ALL of those things in every review (that would make them too bulky, at the very least), but she's focused on all three repeatedly in her years of manga criticism. Her technique is generally to pick an issue within those three realms that she thinks is particularly worthy of discussion and make that one of the main points of her review. The issue she picks is usually very under-discussed.

She can be pretty brutal, but that also spurs people to debate her points--and debate is always a good thing. Not enough people talk about the sexism in Tezuka and Gekiga. Sure, the sexism was largely a product of earlier time periods and it doesn't eliminated the artistic merit of the works, but SOMEONE SHOULD STILL POINT IT OUT. Kids aren't allowed to read Huck Finn in school until a teacher gives the "we don't condone the racial slurs in this book" speech, after all. Casey sees a lot of pervasive sexism in Tezuka and Gekiga and thus has every right to point it out. And if you read her recent essay (someone even copied and pasted it into this thread), she explains that her biggest problem with Tezuka and Gekiga is that too many modern reviewers brush off talking about the sexism. She has more problem with the current reception of those genres than with the comics themselves!

If we want the manga reviewing world to have as many robust discussions as possible, we absolutely need Casey to keep writing. She gets people to think a lot harder about what they're reading. And I'm glad people linked to her livejournal - it's one of the most thought-provoking reads on manga you'll ever find.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:14 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
vash: The fact that he's a nut-job doesn't make me think less of him as a scumbag. You don't go into an important profession like medicine when you've got those kinds of problems

As someone who's struggled with mental illness herself, I know how strong denial can be, and some mental illnesses set in much later in life.

That doesn't excuse him, and no, I don't think it's handled very well in the manga. I think Ms. Brienza does like to cause a fuss and thus goes after things that are popular, but her point on how rape is presented in Berserk (as intensely evil and traumatizing) is a nice contrast to how Tezuka only treats it in passing in Ode to Kirihito. In a manga that's so focused on dehumanization and lack of human empathy, it would have made for a great subplot if it had been developed further.

But it was 1970, and people still have utterly unenlightened ideas about rape nowadays, so it's hardly surprising that Tezuka "didn't get it." Like many things from the past, it rightly makes us uncomfortable, but also makes us think about why it makes us feel that way, which is a good thing.

Side note: it seems like Casey's been doing most of the reviews lately. Are the other reviewers on vacation?
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
liannesentar wrote:
Casey sees a lot of pervasive sexism in Tezuka and Gekiga and thus has every right to point it out. And if you read her recent essay (someone even copied and pasted it into this thread), she explains that her biggest problem with Tezuka and Gekiga is that too many modern reviewers brush off talking about the sexism.
Alright, if we're talking about creators, their beliefs, and how this may snake into their narratives, let's talk about Lovecraft. What a racist that man was! He used "n*gger" in his works! He took on a negative view on blacks! We should all focus on that because only morally agreeable artists and products are good!

Quote:
If we want the manga reviewing world to have as many robust discussions as possible, we absolutely need Casey to keep writing. She gets people to think a lot harder about what they're reading.
It's not "thought-provoking" when her criticisms have a tendency to reveal more about herself than the work she's reviewing. When she insisters that Me and the Devil Blues is racist and is somehow a commentary on U.S. foreign policy, it's her wishing to see something that's just not there in the manga, period. When she believes Ouran High School Host Club to play it straight, the point she missed is already on another continent away from her. When she states that Hagu from Honey and Clover is the epitome of passive Japanese women, as well as generalizing all of Tezuka's female characters, she ignores both the actual situation in the former series and multiple examples completely contrary to her vague and bland assertions in the latter's output.

If you want something that goes against the grain and points out legitimate criticisms within the story AND without overtly imparting their own world view on the series, read Carl Kimlinger's Death Note reviews. Casey's assertions here are vastly different from that.
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
liannesentar wrote:
She can be pretty brutal, but that also spurs people to debate her points--and debate is always a good thing. Not enough people talk about the sexism in Tezuka and Gekiga.

I don't read a lot of gekiga, so I can't speak in general, but my problem is that even Tezuka isn't so clear cut when it comes to the sexism issue, and to try to simplify that in order to inspire debate strikes me as disingenuous. There are some chapters of, for example, Black Jack where the sexism can leave me reeling--spoiler["And of course, you'll become unfeminine"]--and some where I actually applaud the nuance he uses with his women, like in "Baby Blues", or "A Woman's Case".

I would be more than happy to discuss the implications of his more sexist works and chapters, but not under the assumption that he's "whole cloth sexist".

Likewise, I love Berserk a lot, but I'm not about to justify its usage of rape to titillate as "well, it's portrayed as a bad thing". It only undermines the message it's sending when that "bad thing" is drawn in a way to arouse the reader.
liannesentar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
liannesentar wrote:
Casey sees a lot of pervasive sexism in Tezuka and Gekiga and thus has every right to point it out. And if you read her recent essay (someone even copied and pasted it into this thread), she explains that her biggest problem with Tezuka and Gekiga is that too many modern reviewers brush off talking about the sexism.
Alright, if we're talking about creators, their beliefs, and how this may snake into their narratives, let's talk about Lovecraft. What a racist that man was! He used "n*gger" in his works! He took on a negative view on blacks! We should all focus on that because only morally agreeable artists and products are good!

That's absolutely not what I'm suggesting, nor is Casey. You quoted me, but I'll quote the sentences I had right before the quote you pulled out:

"Sure, the sexism was largely a product of earlier time periods and it doesn't eliminated the artistic merit of the works, but SOMEONE SHOULD STILL POINT IT OUT. Kids aren't allowed to read Huck Finn in school until a teacher gives the "we don't condone the racial slurs in this book" speech, after all."

We can still enjoy period pieces and respect period pieces and see them as high art, but if there's sexism/racism/whatever, even if it was a product "of the time," we should still talk about it. Culture doesn't advance until it can recognize, admit to, and learn from its past mistakes. Besides, do you think people can't still be offended by sexism/racism/whatever in a work simply because the work was written years ago? I like the show Mad Men, but the sexism, although very accurate, is still deeply upsetting to me as a modern female. We don't want to burn books, we want people who feel marginalized to be able to say they feel marginalized without being blown off. Isn't that what honest, critical debate is all about?

Quote:
It's not "thought-provoking" when her criticisms have a tendency to reveal more about herself than the work she's reviewing.

Why not? She's a well-read, educated, adult American woman with a lot of experience in media and Japanese pop culture. Why don't her experiences and the resulting opinions matter, since she's clear about the perspective she's writing from and she backs up her feelings with arguments? Her reviews definitely get personal at times, but she explains why she feels the way she does. That's a perfectly acceptable critical style.

Quote:
When she insisters that Me and the Devil Blues is racist and is somehow a commentary on U.S. foreign policy, it's her wishing to see something that's just not there in the manga, period.

I didn't read that review of hers, but was she saying that was the intent of the title, or was it simply a comparison she made? Critics constantly do that - for example, a work from the Depression area may speak volumes in our time of economic crisis, but the original work obviously wasn't written with the intent of being poignant 80 years later.

Quote:
When she states that Hagu from Honey and Clover is the epitome of passive Japanese women, as well as generalizing all of Tezuka's female characters, she ignores both the actual situation in the former series and multiple examples completely contrary to her vague and bland assertions in the latter's output.

Whoa, whoa. I don't read a lot of Tezuka, so I'm not going to give an opinion on how many of his works can be argued as sexist (I really don't know). But Hagu from Honey and Clover is the lead, adult woman in a manga intended for adult women. The fact that she looks and acts (at least socially) like she's eight years ago, and the fact that two of her adult male classmates fall in love with her practically at first sight, is pretty disturbing. You don't have to agree with Casey, and I don't always agree with her sweeping generalizations (especially about Japanese culture), but one can definitely make the argument that something sketchy seems to be going on there.
NearlyMello

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:

They're only doing the first three volumes of Black Jack in hardback, unfortunately, and those are only supposed to be available from bricks and mortar outlets. The paperbacks should be easy enough to find though, either online or off.
Vertical are distributed through Random House so even if your local bookshops don't generally stock much of their stuff, ordering it in shouldn't be a problem.

Okay. Well, I just went to the comics store to order it, as opposed to the regular bookstore, so hopefully I'm more successful this time. They didn't offer the option to get it in hardcover, so I'm assuming they must be out. Oh well, at least my collection will look uniform.

liannesentar- I don't think it matters whether she was saying that it was the intent of the author, I take the most issue with people who say it's somehow wrong or ignorant to write characters like that when they fit into the storyline just fine. I don't find Hagu offensive or even icky because she's unique, and the story goes to lengths to show that. Umino isn't making a statement about all women, and she has a varied female cast to boot. Likewise, Dororo is a bad place to judge whether Tezuka was sexist. It's a short shonen series about a samurai fighting monsters. Shoving a strong female in there just for the sake of having one would be more offensive, IMO, so what do you expect a long-dead guy to do? That's why I found her kind of snarky attitude towards him tacky. It's not like giving him a tongue-lashing now will "fix" anything, the fact that he has females and males that cover the whole spectrum, from weak to strong aside. It just seems like she doesn't choose her battles well.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:09 pm Reply with quote
liannesentar wrote:
You guys can like Casey, hate Casey, or even treat her indifferently--she still provides a hell of a springboard for debate.

That's not a good thing when the debate centres on the reviewer rather than the text being reviewed.

Quote:
Her technique is generally to pick an issue within those three realms that she thinks is particularly worthy of discussion and make that one of the main points of her review. The issue she picks is usually very under-discussed.

But she only does so if she doesn't appreciate (or understand) the text. If it's some non-con BL manga the contentious sexual politics are dismissed as fantasy and if it's Negima or Rosario+Vampire the sexual objectification is "just a bit of fun" but if it's (as in this case) something that she just doesn't like much she feels the need to amplify, take out of context or flat-out invent controversy.
That's a glaring double standard.

I have no problem with Casey bringing these things up (my own politics are probably closer to hers than they are to 99% of other ANN users / staff and I like opinionated reviews with something interesting to say) - I just want her to bring them up regardless of whether or not she enjoyed the book and keep them in some kind of context rather than letting them run away with her.

I mean, I loathe Wagner's politics and I'm not overly keen on his music but it would be infantile of me to suggest that because of these things the man was untalented or that he doesn't occupy an important place in the history of European music, wouldn't it? But that's essentially the attitude Casey takes with Tezuka (and Tezuka's politics are hardly as dubious as Wagner's whichever way you stretch them).

Quote:
Not enough people talk about the sexism in Tezuka and Gekiga. Sure, the sexism was largely a product of earlier time periods and it doesn't eliminated the artistic merit of the works, but SOMEONE SHOULD STILL POINT IT OUT.

That may be so and I don't deny there's sexism to be found in Tezuka's work - and in a lot of gekiga stuff too - but it generally pales into insignificance next to the sexism in mainstream and otaku-orientated manga being produced right now...but that stuff somehow gets a free pass (provided it makes Casey giggle and/or drool).

Quote:
she explains that her biggest problem with Tezuka and Gekiga is that too many modern reviewers brush off talking about the sexism. She has more problem with the current reception of those genres than with the comics themselves!

And if she wants to write an essay about that I'll be happy to read it. I just don't understand what it has to do with a review of Dororo (as opposed to, say, Ode To Kirihito), especially when the rant is provided without any obvious context.

It's like writing about Hergé's depictions of black people in a review of a Tintin book that doesn't feature any black people, then complaining about the absence of black people in the book and then dismissing Hergé's lauded place in the history of the medium as being the work of racist opinion makers whilst simultaneously knocking his work for being too much like all the later books that imitated him.

It's crappy logic.

Quote:
If we want the manga reviewing world to have as many robust discussions as possible, we absolutely need Casey to keep writing.

Provided she can start substantiating her arguments, choose her targets with more care and learn that it's okay to criticise aspects of something you like and, conversely, to not like something without coming on like Jo McCarthy on cheap amphetamines, I wouldn't disagree with you.

To conclude: I like an academic approach, I like reviewers with something to say socially and politically and I like a willingness to rock the boat - see this for a good example - I just don't think this review (amongst others) manages to pull any of that off.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
liannesentar wrote:
You guys can like Casey, hate Casey, or even treat her indifferently--she still provides a hell of a springboard for debate.

That's not a good thing when the debate centres on the reviewer rather than the text being reviewed.

Thank you, I was about to point this out.

Quote:
Plus, if you're lookin' for a role model, the nun takes the initiative near the end of the book.

Good point, Gatsu, she does. I must admit that I was bothered more about the way that neither she nor the love interest (I really need to get my copy back from my sister) reported or reacted to their rapes. Yes, the rapist was mentally ill, but as a woman it still bothered me. On the other hand, as Vash said,
Quote:
But it was 1970, and people still have utterly unenlightened ideas about rape nowadays, so it's hardly surprising that Tezuka "didn't get it." Like many things from the past, it rightly makes us uncomfortable, but also makes us think about why it makes us feel that way, which is a good thing.

Looking at older works in the context of their time and place can help us understand both the mindset of the past and how we have gotten to where we are.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
liannesentar wrote:
That's absolutely not what I'm suggesting, nor is Casey.

Okay, but it actually is. When you're placing moral judgment as a means of critical assessment to the work itself -- not what it represents in the context of its culture, the beliefs and actions of the writer/director/artist/musician, et cetera -- you're frequently leading yourself into unnecessary political correctness. It's not a complete exaggeration to say any and everything can be offensive to some, and so many of the most misguided reviewers try to pit their own world views against the story.

Unless, say, a book is a piece of propaganda that tells you that having sex with six-year-olds, then ascribing moral character to a piece is self-defeating. I'm not interested in a tangent about Tezuka's somewhat narrowed view of women on an ANN review -- I'm interested in reading a review of the story (plot, characters, setting, development, themes, et cetera). Casey seems to want to generalize and ignore examples of Tezuka's effective characterization of women when attempting to criticize a particular aspect of the Dororo. That's not "thought-provoking" or considerate, that's looking for an unsubstantiated excuse.

Quote:
Why not? She's a well-read, educated, adult American woman with a lot of experience in media and Japanese pop culture. Why don't her experiences and the resulting opinions matter, since she's clear about the perspective she's writing from and she backs up her feelings with arguments? Her reviews definitely get personal at times, but she explains why she feels the way she does. That's a perfectly acceptable critical style.

I'm not debating her credentials, I'm debating the content. She's imprinting her values on something that, in this case, just isn't there, or really worth of any value.

Quote:
I didn't read that review of hers, but was she saying that was the intent of the title, or was it simply a comparison she made?

Casey overtly states that the title is racist as a means of criticism when that's not the case at all. The review itself is ridiculously inadequate, using vague, general critiques that don't delve into specifics, and can read as "I don't like the characters and plot and here I'm going to insert some political and sociological intent that somehow only I'm able to see."

Quote:
But Hagu from Honey and Clover is the lead, adult woman in a manga intended for adult women. The fact that she looks and acts (at least socially) like she's eight years ago, and the fact that two of her adult male classmates fall in love with her practically at first sight, is pretty disturbing. You don't have to agree with Casey, and I don't always agree with her sweeping generalizations (especially about Japanese culture), but one can definitely make the argument that something sketchy seems to be going on there.

"Something sketchy"? You're trying to imply that Hagu and her potential love interests is pandering to pedophilia or something? That's just straight-out ignoring the story and the point that Umino makes with Hagu's character, and her character alone.

And I couldn't agree with Moomintroll more:

Moomintroll wrote:
And if she wants to write an essay about that I'll be happy to read it. I just don't understand what it has to do with a review of Dororo (as opposed to, say, Ode To Kirihito), especially when the rant is provided without any obvious context.

It's like writing about Hergé's depictions of black people in a review of a Tintin book that doesn't feature any black people, then complaining about the absence of black people in the book and then dismissing Hergé's lauded place in the history of the medium as being the work of racist opinion makers whilst simultaneously knocking his work for being too much like all the later books that imitated him.

It's crappy logic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2