• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Takako Shimura's Aoi Hana Yuri Manga Gets TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
This is excellent. I loved the manga.
rg4619

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
The show will air on an experimental time slot (FujiTV's NOISE), so I think they're attempting to find a new audience.

Unlike noitaminA, which is dedicated to high profile, mainstream properties (a mix of both male and female-oriented works now), Fuji seems to be targeting fairly atypical, stylish concepts this time.
1idd0kun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
The approach is different, but the audience they're aiming for seems to be the same: people who like Nodame would probably like Ristorante Paradiso too, for example.

yuricon wrote:
I think this is a startling choice for an anime. Seems to defy the reason for animation, really. There's no complex visuals, no rich backgrounds, just simple, aesthetically pleasant art.

That's no rare for Fuji TV. Take Nodame Cantabile for example; it's even simpler, aesthetically wise, than Aoi Hana, yet it's one of Fuji's most successful late night anime of recent years.

Ristorante Paradiso, the show that comes before Aoi Hana in the same time slot (and also from the same magazine), is pretty much the same: simple but pleasant art and so on. Maybe you're just not used to Fuji TV's style.
yuricon wrote:
I can't help but wonder if this is a non-servicey attempt to capture the Marimite audience.

That's an interesting idea, and maybe you're right. Besides, after Ristorante Paradiso, which panders to women who like "butler-type gentlemen", a show focused more on girls like Aoi Hana seems fitting. Fuji TV late night anime blocks target both genders after all.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
1idd0kun wrote:

yuricon wrote:
I think this is a startling choice for an anime. Seems to defy the reason for animation, really. There's no complex visuals, no rich backgrounds, just simple, aesthetically pleasant art.

That's no rare for Fuji TV. Take Nodame Cantabile for example; it's even simpler, aesthetically wise, than Aoi Hana, yet it's one of Fuji's most successful late night anime of recent years.

*imagines Kenichi Kasai being confirmed on directing Aoi Hana*

If this series goes well within reasonable expectations, I can finally have an example of a yuri series that I can even suggest towards other people who wants a mature yuri title without the usual tropes of subtext or genderbending.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, a good, simple yuri series? How did I miss this! 8D July just got much, much further away...xD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2