• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director Spike Lee Responds to Oldboy Casting Report

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Lee is a bit racist (you'd have to be if you made a career on race related cinema) and a bit of a crappy person in general (trying to get innocent people lynched recently) but I dont really care about that, I've never liked his movies anyway just some of the actors that have been in them. As for an old boy remake im REALLY not interested.

I can understand why they do it, alot of folk are too lazy to read subtitles and laugh at some of the comical attempts to dub movis into english so there are movie plots that wont get any exposure to the general public. Movies like this arent aimed at the likes of you or I who have already seen the korean Old boy movie they are aimed at your general movie going joe public who's never heard of old boy before and can be convinced to part with his cash to se it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Ramm:
Quote:
and a bit of a crappy person in general (trying to get innocent people lynched recently

Yeah, it's totally awful to see a murdering lying scumbag get his. Oh, wait, Zimmerman's innocent until proven guilty, unless he's black like O.J. Rolling Eyes

Sunday: Well, I'm not going to pretend Spike Lee doesn't shoot his mouth off, but he seems to get more scrutiny over it than, say, Rush Limbaugh, Michael Richards, or Mel Gibson. Those guys still get work, and are even forgiven, while Lee is always forced to explain himself.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Ramm:
Quote:
and a bit of a crappy person in general (trying to get innocent people lynched recently

Yeah, it's totally awful to see a murdering lying scumbag get his. Oh, wait, Zimmerman's innocent until proven guilty, unless he's black like O.J. Rolling Eyes

Trouble is, Lee tweeted the address of one George Zimmerman.....an old pensioner and his wife. Not the alleged "N.......Teen Hunter."

Quote:
Sunday: Well, I'm not going to pretend Spike Lee doesn't shoot his mouth off, but he seems to get more scrutiny over it than, say, Rush Limbaugh, Michael Richards, or Mel Gibson. Those guys still get work, and are even forgiven, while Lee is always forced to explain himself.

Those guys don't have a noticeable track record of pushing their own stupid views on the audience. Okay, i'll give you Rush......
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
To you all saying that a great film doesn't need a remake. I say this, I might have agreed with you a little before but just a few hours ago I watched Total Recall (2012, remake) and I will tell you this, remake or not I'm glade it was made because it was a totally awesome movie. Sure the other one had Arnold in it. But man or man is the remake a sight to behold.

So in short, remakes can and have been good or better then their previous incarnations. Just think of them as a stand alone film that has nothing to do with the other incarnations that you may or may not know about aside from the fact that the names are the same. Enjoy the film for what it is. A fresh new take on a story already told in a different perspective.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:51 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
It looks like a lot of people has forgotten that Asia (including Japan) has been remaking American films (and other foreign entertainment) for their audience. As I said, I don't see how US remaking Oldboy any different from Japan remaking Ghost.

Think of it this way: when was the last time you saw an Asian remake of (title here) on screens around the world? Or on the cable channels? Or even in the DVD aisle of the local Wal-Mart?

You can't exactly equate the reach of Hollywood in comparison to the reach of Asian Cinema.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:24 am Reply with quote
One being niche and one being mainstream doesn't in any way effect whether something is right or wrong. Just because one industry has a smaller reach doesn't, in any way, change the same act in comparison to another industry with a larger reach unless you're an apologist looking for an excuse. Now, once again, I'm confused why people are turning this in to yet another "east versus west" pissing contest; the entire thing is pointless and does little more than highlight ones bias. It is really getting tiring when every thread that even so much as mentions domestic markets or entertainment industries, and many threads that do not, turns in to "What I'm a fan of is so much better than everything else #453265".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Quote:
People You Need To Relax.The Cast Of OLD BOY Will Be Diverse.If You Think Otherwise You Do Not Know My Work.Bother Other Directors 'Bout Dat

......says the closet racist.
Really? Spike is many things but a closet racist he is not. I don't see him denying people economic opportunities, which is what a racist really is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_Lee#Controversy

You can be a racist without putting down someone financially.
I don't see anything wrong with calling out people for their prejudices or what-not. Besides Spike Lee knows Hollywood and American culture better than most. I've followed Spike Lee for most of my life and he is nothing short of a great director and crazed NY Knicks fan. Also Wikipedia proves nothing and everytime Spike Lee delivers social commentary, people call him "reverse racist". Like that garbage even exists in America.
Sunday Silence wrote:

Quote:

Those guys don't have a noticeable track record of pushing their own stupid views on the audience. Okay, i'll give you Rush......
Mel Gibson has been doing for years now. The point is that Spike has to explain himself because nobody really likes outspoken people who aren't rich or white. Spike isn't the greatest guy in the world but I've seen people spew far greater vitrol than him and they don't have to explain it all.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
It looks like a lot of people has forgotten that Asia (including Japan) has been remaking American films (and other foreign entertainment) for their audience. As I said, I don't see how US remaking Oldboy any different from Japan remaking Ghost.

Think of it this way: when was the last time you saw an Asian remake of (title here) on screens around the world? Or on the cable channels? Or even in the DVD aisle of the local Wal-Mart?

You can't exactly equate the reach of Hollywood in comparison to the reach of Asian Cinema.

and there are a lot of American films that don't get a lot of attention in Japan (or other part of Asia) hence why they started to remake US films (the same apply for other Asian country like China, and South Korea). Also The Chinese remake of What Women Want was shown in US. The same thing for Connected, the Chinese/HK remake of Cellular was released in US about 3 years ago. Does it really matter if people in US want to watch an Asian remake of American films? To me as long as Hollywood allow Asia to remake their film, I'm fine with it. I'm just glad Hollywood give back to Asia for all the remake of their films, so fair is fair. Why does it matter to you, majority of people in US don't watch foreign films (Asian or European)? Oh an article I remember reading few years ago explain why Japan started to remake American films, here an excerpt:

Newsweek/the Daily Beast wrote:
Back in 2002, foreign films dominated Japan’s movie theaters, taking in 73 percent of box-office returns; last year that share fell to 43 percent. “Today’s young Japanese are not as inspired by Western culture as they used to be,” says Paramount Japan marketing director Hisamichi Kinomoto.

Fuji TV remade Sideways, the 2004 Alexander Payne film about two friends road-tripping through California’s wine country. While the original film grossed around $960,000 in Japan, according to BoxOfficeMojo.com, the Japanese remake—featuring two Japanese pals in Napa—raked in $1.5 million.

rinkwolf wrote:

So in short, remakes can and have been good or better then their previous incarnations. Just think of them as a stand alone film that has nothing to do with the other incarnations that you may or may not know about aside from the fact that the names are the same. Enjoy the film for what it is. A fresh new take on a story already told in a different perspective.

Exactly, remakes can be good or bad. I like the 1984 version of Scarface over the 1930 version. Also I like both the Japanese and American version of Dark Water. Also I heard some people that watch both Connected and Cellular. I heard some people they like the Chinese/HK remake over the original American version because of the action and more pace in the remake. Also I watch Magnificent 7 an Seven Samurai, I love both of them. I believe Akira Kurosawa love the American remake also. There was some remake that were subpar like the American remake of One Missed Call, and Zhang Yimou's A Simple Noodle Story (a remake of Coen Brother's Blood simple) was bad.

Last edited by mdo7 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Ramm:
Quote:

you can roll your eyes all you like but you seem to have missed the point that Sunday Silence has kindly pointed out.

I wont pretend to understand all the complexities of race relations in america because they are a fair bit different than what we get over here but I personally find it all childish and I just dont like lee as a person or a film maker. Of the other guys you mentioned i only know mel and i dont dislike him because he seldom mixes his politics with his work.

Guess i just dislike political movies /shrug.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Now, once again, I'm confused why people are turning this in to yet another "east versus west" pissing contest; the entire thing is pointless and does little more than highlight ones bias.

How is it confusing? We're fans who are complaining how Hollywood is gonna take a well established movie/property/video game/book and try to adapt it. Sometimes they do a good job. Sometimes they go 540 degrees and somehow chuck the thing into one of the many lakes in Minnesota.

It's harmless banter and speculation. Every high profile movie based on a well known property has had it at one point or another.

I seriously doubt a battalion of angry nerds is gonna make a significant dent in the box office take of a movie being produced by a proud bigot.

[Mod Response: How is it confusing? Because this article isn't titled "Why is the East better than the West" now is it? People have been told to keep to the subject time and time and time again, but everytime the soapboxers come in and turn this in to some racist/nationalists war that it should never have been. - Keonyn]
oblivious247

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
Now, once again, I'm confused why people are turning this in to yet another "east versus west" pissing contest; the entire thing is pointless and does little more than highlight ones bias.

How is it confusing? We're fans who are complaining how Hollywood is gonna take a well established movie/property/video game/book and try to adapt it. Sometimes they do a good job. Sometimes they go 540 degrees and somehow chuck the thing into one of the many lakes in Minnesota.

It's harmless banter and speculation. Every high profile movie based on a well known property has had it at one point or another.

I seriously doubt a battalion of angry nerds is gonna make a significant dent in the box office take of a movie being produced by a proud bigot.

But Asia does the same thing. If it was Japan remaking Old Boy no one would say a thing. But for reasons beyond my comprehension, there is a large faction within this fandom that has to make everything east vs west (with east always being superior).
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Keonyn wrote:

Are you going to complain when Japan and Asia does something similar? Because I notice only majority of people on this forum going one-sided as in bash USA and Hollywood when it comes to on how they handle anime/manga or Asian films. Yet nobody complain when Asia (including Japan) on how they handle our stuff, I've never heard you complaining about Japan (and Asia) remaking US films. So either you are an [insult removed] or you have never watch any Asian remake of American films (or any foreign films). Also what about Toei's Spiderman, does it get a free pass from criticism from US. What about when Boys over Flower got a series made in Korea and Taiwan? I never heard you complaining about it.

oblivious247 wrote:

But Asia does the same thing. If it was Japan remaking Old Boy no one would say a thing. But for reasons beyond my comprehension, there is a large faction within this fandom that has to make everything east vs west (with east always being superior).

That's what I've been telling these people including Sunday Silence. But no, there's too many [insult removed] on this forum. Whenever it's US remaking Asian films, people would bash it. But when it's Japan or Asia remaking American films, they praise it and also bash the American original. This is becoming more of a pro-Asian propaganda rather then being moderate. You aren't alone, Oblivious247, I've encounter these [insult removed] before when it comes to who remake who, a lot of people that bash Hollywood remaking Asian films are silent on Asia remaking Hollywood films. It's like people are not going to attack Japan or Asia on similar thing US would do.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

That's what I've been telling these people including Sunday Silence. But no, there's too many [insult removed] on this forum. Whenever it's US remaking Asian films, people would bash it. But when it's Japan or Asia remaking American films, they praise it and also bash the American original. This is becoming more of a pro-Asian propaganda rather then being moderate. You aren't alone, Oblivious247, I've encounter these [insult removed] before when it comes to who remake who, a lot of people that bash Hollywood remaking Asian films are silent on Asia remaking Hollywood films. It's like people are not going to attack Japan or Asia on similar thing US would do.

I used to be the exact same way. Then I saw how ridiculous I was being. Asia is by no means better than the US. They both produce good AND bad stuff. The sooner these people realize that, the better.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

I used to be the exact same way. Then I saw how ridiculous I was being. Asia is by no means better than the US. They both produce good AND bad stuff. The sooner these people realize that, the better.

[insult removed] (even those that are not Asian) are hard to convince, once they're attached to Asia & Japan they'll think anything US or west is evil. But you,you're a rarity, you're able to be "awakened" with a open mind. I'm happy you're no longer one of them. You and I both know Asia is no better then the west.

Let me tell you something, I didn't know Asia was remaking American films until 2010 (Asia was remaking American films since 2008). When I read about this from various sites, I was wondering "How come nobody ever brought up that Asia including Japan were remaking Hollywood films? How come nobody complain about Asia remaking American films yet people still complain about US remaking Asian films?" That's when I found out that those haters are also covering up traces of Asia remaking American films. They don't want people to know Asia has been remaking American films, if they knew (which most foreign films probably already found out by other mean), then the hate for US remaking Asian films would go down and there wouldn't be any point on complaining about it since Asia is doing the same thing US did. I know because I tried posting evidence of Asia & Japan remaking American films on a Facebook group "To USA: Stop remaking Asian Films" (that group is no longer active and it doesn't exist anymore), the leader of that group delete my post, I ask that leader why don't the people on that group have the right to know about. The leaders of that FB group told me to get out and never come back, that's how I knew the leader was a pro-[insult removed]. If he wasn't, he would've allow the post and maybe comment something like "Finally Hollywood giving back Asia for all the remake" or "I welcome this news, thank you Hollywood for giving Asia a chance to remake our films as a return". He didn't say any of this, he just want to promote his anti-hollywood agenda, that's why I never seen people brought up Asia remaking US films. Pro-[insult removed] would never complain about when Asia does something similar to US.

Also it's not only remaking foreign films, I found out about other stuff Japan does to our stuff that people on ANN may not be aware of. For example, the dub vs sub war it does exist in Japan. One example, how Square Enix dubbed Modern Warfare 2, not the greatest dub in the world. I could tell you more about what Japan does what anime fans may not know via private message if you want.

[Mod Edit: Such terms are not acceptable. Argue with people based on the value of their statements, but do not generalize other users using such terms as they are, frankly, insulting. Bundling up others that don't agree with you with the likes of such hate groups is pretty huge leap, and one that could definitely and rightfully be seen as a personal attack. - Keonyn]
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I was gonna make a funny little joke about Lee's fanaticism of the Knickerbockers, but I see this thread has somehow come to be about his alleged "racism".

Also, don't movies quite often cast for race? I mean, remember the stink that was raised when Donald Glover said he wanted to audition for the role of Peter Parker in the new movie, and their was an alarming amount of people going "NO, Peter Parker is white, he has to be white in this movie, if he's black it's gonna be about black things, I don't understand black things".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5