• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Moe Monday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cavalcanti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:40 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Dear Bamboo...

I'm confused by quite a few things in this post. What makes you think she's actually commentating on the second series? All the evidence points to the first, while nothing there actually applies to the second. The description of it as a 'series full of boobs and panty shots, except for the last few episodes, which are really serious' makes it pretty clear it's the first series.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Yes, the second version is most definitely based on fan service, which is why I won't buy it.

This in particular is so untrue and backwards that i'm confused where you must have heard this from. The second series removes 95% of the fanservice of the original, replacing it with the comedy typical of the SHAFT/Shinbo team working on it.

All that said, Bamboo does need to know that the two series are distinct, and not linked by plot (Thank god, because the first series was utterly, utterly horrible and deserves the kicking that it got.)
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:52 am Reply with quote
rekishi wrote:
if it's just not your thing, well then move on and leave it be.

How in the world are we to do this? It's not like there's a "panty rating" posted on boxes. Some have "partial nudity" typed on the box, but more on older series than current.

Personally, it doesn't bother me except when the age of the characters are explicitly announced they're under 16 years of age.

Yes, they are simply cartoon characters, but let's face reality here when these characters are given life-like attributes such as age. Does it really help to announce the character is 13 years old while viewing the shot?

As humans, we have the ability to relate inanimate objects with real feelings. If I were to detail a picture of a little girl getting raped, you'd probably dismiss it as a cartoon, but if I said the girl was 7 years old, that changes the cartoon's message and the user's perception.

There's absolutely no denying this.

Which is why I won't touch the second rendition of Negima. It's definitely fan service (based on the reviews) using very young teenagers.

Until recently, I had no clue what "loli" was (seen it referenced several times in reviews) and I can't simply accept the argument they are "just cartoons" when many people adapt real feelings over cartoon characters.

I've yet to see any reason whatsoever to adapt a little girl into an animated show and then display "panty shots" of the character. It begs one to wonder why.

I just finished watching Kiddy Grade, which some may know has gratuitous shots of Eclaire, but none of Lumier (sp).
Probably a good thing, because had it been both, the show would have lost all credibility with me despite being well written.

Because there's no way I can't help feeling like a "dirty old man" knowing the panty shot displayed is on a 10 year old girl regardless the fact the "girl" is a freakin' cartoon character.
(Note: no where on the box does it detail "partial nudity" or "gratuitous panty shots")

I would love to know what the hell goes through animators' minds when they draw this stuff while explicitly reminding us just how old these "girls" really are.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:02 am Reply with quote
Cavalcanti wrote:
All the evidence points to the first, while nothing there actually applies to the second. The description of it as a 'series full of boobs and panty shots, except for the last few episodes, which are really serious' makes it pretty clear it's the first series.

Hmm. Just hit Wiki which confirms your side, but I'll try to find the reviews I've read which were the opposite.

I don't recall boobs and panty shots (plural) in the original, and I've seen it several times.

Unless by boobs, we're talking bikini shots? In that case, then I sit corrected. To me, boobs are boobs. Cutey Honey has boobs. This show certainly does not.

Quote:
This in particular is so untrue and backwards that i'm confused where you must have heard this from. The second series removes 95% of the fanservice of the original, replacing it with the comedy typical of the SHAFT/Shinbo team working on it.

All that said, Bamboo does need to know that the two series are distinct, and not linked by plot (Thank god, because the first series was utterly, utterly horrible and deserves the kicking that it got.)

Thank you for this information. I'll look more into it, that's for sure.
Maybe the early reviews of the first set of the second rendition jumped the gun.

If this is the case, then I'll apologize to Bamboo now.

More to come, because now I'm the one confused.
Anime dazed

I liked the first series. If it was fan service, I certainly didn't notice it when I compare it to other series like Kiddy Grade.
*sigh*

I'll never get it, will I?
Sad
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:51 am Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
But these discs are burning a whole through my floor, so let's have at it, shall we?

Is this some sort of moé pun? Can someone explain.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:51 am Reply with quote
rekishi wrote:

but has anyone ever met a "western" fan of the Key shows that has been that bad? like room plastered with Misuzu posters and figurines type bad...? honestly? if you do... well, weigh them, against the thousands of western moe fans who are just normal people... it's like the violent video games argument...

I do have figures of Makoto(KANON), Nayuki(KANON), and Misuzu(AIR), but just that; I'm not much of a Key collector(but I do have a frightening amount of Shana and Saber figures, no body pillows though.) Does anyone have the figure of Misuzu sitting with her plush dinosaurs? I'd really like to get that one but it seems impossable to find and would probably be unaffordable even if I did find it. The AIR movie was always my favorite Key adaption; I thought the structure of the TV series was a mess, and ditching the girl-by-girl format made the movie seem less like watching someone play a dating sim and gave the story a tighter feel, I also thought the historical flashbacks were handled better. However two major drawbacks in the movie for me were Misuzu's love of dinosaurs was less apparant and Potato only has a cameo as part of a TV show.
Annf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Bamboo wrote:
But these discs are burning a whole through my floor, so let's have at it, shall we?

Is this some sort of moé pun? Can someone explain.

She accidentally her whole floor?
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:09 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:

And the 'second season,' which is technically just a re-imagining of the series, was just as entertaining but in its own way. If you've ever seen Moonphase, you'd know that the 2nd Negima series was done by the same studio due to its animation style, atmosphere and bizarreness. I honestly can't say which series I prefer out of the two, because I find entertaining qualities in both of them, but I'm speaking solely for myself.

I have a slight preference for NEGIMA!?(the second version) because I like the director's visual style and the story moves along a little faster(getting rid of Nodoka's extreme shyness helped a lot) and feels a little more(but still not quite) complete. I also liked the Makie abuse and how Setsuna's relationship with Konoka was handled with more humor(this was the only NEGIMA series, manga indluded, where I thought Konoka really stood out as a character.) Also the girls' screentime seemed to be spread out more evenly. One slight drawback for me, was the change in Asuna's character: in the second version she seems more like she's just some random idiot. While this does lead to some good material like her Chupacabra obsession, her densness also seems to prevent her from forming any kind of close bond with Negi, so I never got the feeling that she was really close with him, like in the first series.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote
I think I can agree about Air being slightly better than Kanon, in that Air felt a bit more complete and less like it was just cycling through each girl's story systematically. Both had to do this out of necessity, of course! But it seemed a bit more seamless in Air. (Easier to link three girls than five?)

But I love the supernatural elements in both. Smile
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
Sure it's the device that does the actual magic, but Nanoha does control, calculations and gives the power for magic. She was born with huge potential and she did lots of training to control it (don't really remember if this was pointed out so well in the anime).
IIRC, one of the first scenes in the series was her being chastised (by her own quasi-sentient weapon no less) for dropping below the 90th percentile in her math grades due to spending too much time practising her various forms of directed beam spam.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Dear Bamboo,

Call me old fashioned, but I'm the type of person who will discredit an entire article if even one sentence is inaccurate. Imagine my surprise as I spent my time reading your article, only to have it dismissed at the end with your Negima review.

I would like to take this time to clarify and remind you there are two separate and distinct versions of the Negima series. The box art you chose was from the first, but your commentary covered the second.

An amateur mistake. Please correct this immediately.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Cavalcanti wrote:
All the evidence points to the first, while nothing there actually applies to the second. The description of it as a 'series full of boobs and panty shots, except for the last few episodes, which are really serious' makes it pretty clear it's the first series.

Hmm. Just hit Wiki which confirms your side, but I'll try to find the reviews I've read which were the opposite.

I'll look more into it, that's for sure.
Maybe the early reviews of the first set of the second rendition jumped the gun.

If this is the case, then I'll apologize to Bamboo now.

More to come, because now I'm the one confused.
Anime dazed

Hey, PJ - would this be the appropriate time to suggest you adopt a somewhat less haughty and arrogant tone when pointing out somebody's "mistakes"? Very Happy
Case

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
Annf wrote:

Accidentally what?
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:35 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Hey, PJ - would this be the appropriate time to suggest you adopt a somewhat less haughty and arrogant tone when pointing out somebody's "mistakes"? Very Happy

That was arrogant? *sigh*
Thanks for letting me know, Blood. I'll re-examine my choice of words better during my previews.

But, on the same note, I do owe Bamboo an apology because I was clearly in the wrong here.

After revisiting those "reviews" online, it turns out most did jump the gun, especially when comments attacked the reviewers for not having seen the show.

I fell victim to this only because I had just purchased the original series when I discovered part one of the "second release" and saw it was trashed. I hadn't opened it yet, so I was thinking of doing a replacement. Good thing I didn't.

I still don't get the "boobs" and "panty shot" references made by Bamboo, but I'll just let this go.

Well, there is one good consolation out of all this: I've now got to buy the other freakin' series and judge it myself, especially when you, the fans, rated BOTH series with good marks here at ANN.
Very Happy
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:58 am Reply with quote
I don't know why people rate Ken Akamatsu's works well. They're all awful and he's the story equivalent of Akira Toriyama; he did one thing and then whored it for decades to immense profit and praise. I don't know if people get can away with that kind of crap because the readers/watchers/players never get exposed to their full body of work (knowingly, I've seen plenty of people that have no idea Akira Toriyama does character design for Dragon Quest, among other games) or if people are so scared of getting something they hate that they'll put up with something ranging from lukewarm to terrible over and over again.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
Matter of fact, I didn't rush myself at whole time....*clears throat* but anyway I did give a review of both shows and entire good and I'll read once on what the writer said and intensively the shows are that good enough to have me gnawing myself spoiler[ Misuzu crying and her behavior on addicted to mythlogical dinosaur] But I will keep it to buy list in this summer. So these are one favorite anime to watch for.
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote
Case wrote:
Annf wrote:

Accidentally what?
Uh..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7