• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya novel 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luna Loving

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:00 am Reply with quote
I' m not entirely sure if this book is released in the UK yet, but I can always check. I didn' t see anything on the release information, but oh well....

Anyway, I' m not so sure about the aim at Young Girls thing, I wouldn' t want to see Haruhi being the new "Twilight"- style book franchise, or a dreadful mushy adaption, I was frightened enough by the rumour of Zak Efron in that FMP adaption.... *shiver*.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
Luna Loving wrote:

Anyway, I' m not so sure about the aim at Young Girls thing, I wouldn' t want to see Haruhi being the new "Twilight"- style book franchise, or a dreadful mushy adaption, I was frightened enough by the rumour of Zak Efron in that FMP adaption.... *shiver*.

Yes, otaku culture is very classy; wouldn't want to taint it with fangirls:

animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/anime-news-nina/28292/comic-68.jpg
Luna Loving

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Luna Loving wrote:

Yes, otaku culture is very classy; wouldn't want to taint it with fangirls:

animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/anime-news-nina/28292/comic-68.jpg

Point taken, Lol.
yowanda

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I actually picked this up last week from my local Borders. They had it on a table with a bunch of other paperbacks that were buy one, get one 50% off. I didn't even know it was out, and had thought maybe it had been around for awhile since it was on the sale table.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
rxreika wrote:
I have a comment that few people will care about but it irks me so I'll say it. The novel is published by Little, Brown Young Readers; the manga is published by Yen Press. Yes, they're two imprints within Hachette, but there's still a difference.

And the Yen Press logo is prominently shown on the back cover of the book, right below the Hachette Group copyright notice, hence the confusion here. Probably should have just listed both to have my bases covered. Razz

Anyway, I picked this up in a Borders, where it was in the Young Adult book section.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MRLN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
This is a great review that didn't get infested by the obvious and biased Haruhi-ism. Good job.

I really hope volume 10 drops the "light" part of the novel. Melancholy is great, but by the Dissociation of Haruhi, I kinda wish there was some more epicness that could be attributed to the series.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting for ANN to review this.I pre-ordered the hardcover copy long before it was released (being a HUGE Haruhiist), and I was very pleased with the English edition of the novel,it's beautiful. Very Happy Comparing it to fan-translations on the Internet, the official English translation is well done,at least for me. Very Happy
se37

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote
The only thing I noticed in the Light Novel was no honorifics, but that is being nitpicky because when I read the fan ones of these, I didn't really see a need for them. The only one I really have remembering all is -san alot but that can just translate to Mr, Mrs or Ms easy. Plus I think having honorifics would get in the way more then anything.

After reading it, I think it's really great. I ordered 2 copies, one of the hardback and one of the paperback copy. (Paperback so I can take it with me without problems). I don't see any problems in translation like I've normally seen in other official Light Novels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
population_tire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
I own the paper back copy

They didn't edit anything out, all the art work is still in there. It's just a really good book and I'm glad that sales went well as there translating the 2nd book and it will be released in the fall

source?

edit: nevermind, found it on amazon. October 1st apparently.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
[Young girls?

Are they going to appreciate reading about Mikuru's breasts?]

Smartest thing ever said. Apparently, they don't realize that seinen cannot translate to tween girls. And leaving moe untranslated...it's like they're begging me to strangle them. Not even a footnote?! The next sentence may come off as hypocrisy. Even though -I'm- a thirteen year old girl, I'm also weird. I doubt any of the girls I know would be interested in Haruhi. Hell, I felt weird reading all the Mikuru "rape" scenes, to begin with.

[The novel is being carried in the Teen/Teen Graphic Novel section at many stores. It is not in the normal graphic novel section. Also, most stores are only carrying the paper back. You will need to order the hardcover.]

I'll be ordering it, in that case. They screwed up the good cover art.

[Anyway, I' m not so sure about the aim at Young Girls thing, I wouldn' t want to see Haruhi being the new "Twilight"- style book franchise, or a dreadful mushy adaption, I was frightened enough by the rumour of Zak Efron in that FMP adaption.... *shiver*. ]

Aye.

Was it just me, or did it seem like the guy who reviewed this was paid off?
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:45 am Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
And leaving moe untranslated...it's like they're begging me to strangle them. Not even a footnote?!
It's translated/explained/whatever 3 words down from its first appearance.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote
That sample chapter was fairly entertaining. I don't think it'll get me to buy the book, but it might get me to finally stop waffling and give the series a try.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:

Oh, I so wish that was the case. . . I didn't even get a preview copy of it. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:

Aye.

Yes, he was. In fact, everyone who has an opinion you don't agree with is being paid by a shadow organization.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:36 am Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:

By his boss for writng a review, I'd like to think...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3